Calorie in Calorie out

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    sentipede wrote: »
    battyfitch wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I'd double and triple check the food entries you're using are accurate. I think a lot of people use the lowest one they can find - like, I'll see people logging 2 tbsp butter at 37 calories or whatever when in reality 2 tablespoons of butter would be over 200 calories. Do that a few times a week, plus a few other inaccurate entries and it can add up to enough to stall losses, especially if you're aiming to 0.5-1lbs a week.

Other than that, I dunno. Scientific marvel? Alien?

actually butter should be logged by Grams.

2tbsp of butter or appx 30grams.

Ok?

You shouldn't log butter anyway. Gary Taubes said you can eat all the butter you want and not gain weight.

again 9_9...seriously it has significant calories in it...
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I'd double and triple check the food entries you're using are accurate. I think a lot of people use the lowest one they can find - like, I'll see people logging 2 tbsp butter at 37 calories or whatever when in reality 2 tablespoons of butter would be over 200 calories. Do that a few times a week, plus a few other inaccurate entries and it can add up to enough to stall losses, especially if you're aiming to 0.5-1lbs a week.

Ok?

You shouldn't log butter anyway. Gary Taubes said you can eat all the butter you want and not gain weight.

This is ridiculous, not sure who Gary Taubes is but that is bad advice that will drastically affect your weight.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    MrsKila wrote: »
    I have been reading multiple posts. And most of them seem to indicate that nothing else could possibly scientifically assist in weight loss except for the fact of "Calorie in/Calorie out". For those who feel that this is the "only" way weight is loss please explain to me if you are weighing your food, logging everything you put in your mouth, not eating back all of your exercise calories, and have researched and know what your macros should be, how can you not lose weight for 3 months? Oh, and have been to the doctors and not diagnosed with anything. Also, if the answer is plateau, then please explain how this is possible if the only factor that counts is Calorie in/Calorie out. Thank you for your help with this.

Yes. It's the only scientifically supportable manner, due to physics. The mechanics behind it are flexible (keto/weight watchers/whatever), it still boils down to CICO.

I logged everything that goes in my mouth, aside from water. I eat back some of my exercise cals, sometimes.

As far as you not losing weight, then one of two options:
    * You are overestimating your TDEE
    * You are underestimating your intake
    * Combination of the above 2.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    All the parts of the CICO equation are just estimates. You can't really know the true value of either calories in OR calories out.

Calories in:
    It's been shown that gut bacteria mean that different people actually extract different amounts of energy from the same foods. Preparing some foods in different ways actually changes the amount of energy we can extract from them. And all calorie counts are based on one specific way of measuring the energy in the foods. On top of that, if you're eating packaged foods and relying on corporate calorie calculations, those calculations aren't required to be 100% accurate AND packaged food portions are often bigger than the amount on the box.

Calories out:
    Metabolisms vary, and different people burn different numbers of calories doing the same basic activities.

So: You've got to figure out through trial and error what those CI and CO values actually are for you.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited August 2016
    MFP really needs an eye roll emoji.

@.@ this is my eyeroll
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2016
    One thing that no one has mentioned… If you went from losing to not losing – reaching a plateau – it could because the same amount of activity burns less calories.

Taking a basic thing like walking: When I was 187 pounds, I was effectively carrying that weight with me while I walked. Now that I’m 150 pounds, walking the same way burns less calories, because I’ve dropped the 37 pound weight that I was carrying everywhere I went. That means, in order to continue burning calories at the same rate as before, I have to increase something with regards to my exercise: amount or speed or start carrying a backpack with a 37 pound load.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    leajas1 wrote: »

Ok?

Ok?

This is ridiculous, not sure who Gary Taubes is but that is bad advice that will drastically affect your weight.

Pretty sure he/she was being sarcastic.

no not sure he was..I google Gary whats his face and he has books on dieting

http://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-advice-that-ignores-hunger
    http://garytaubes.com/2010/12/calories-fat-or-carbohydrates/
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    savithny wrote: »
    So: You've got to figure out through trial and error what those CI and CO values actually are for you.

Bingo. This is really your only relevant answer. If you aren't losing weight, than you need to make adjustments to what you are doing: lower your calorie goal and calories in, re-evaluate how you are logging food, stop logging in exercise calories and eating them back... something. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again expecting different results. Weight loss (and even maintenance) is an exercise in trial and error. You try things until you find things that work. If what you are doing isn't working, why not make changes?

First thing I'd recommend is to stop logging exercise calorie burns and eating them back. People ALWAYS over-estimate the number of calories they burn exercising. Unless you are an Olympic athlete, you are burning on the lowest end of that scale. I promise. I always under log my exercise (today I went for over and hour but only logged in 50 minutes) and I will NOT be eating my exercise calories back. I'll stay within my food goal, because I already have my meals for the day planned out, including snacks.

Start from scratch, re-evaluate, and try to mix up your plan with new ways to measure, log, track, and estimate your calories in AND out. You'll get there, it just takes work and trial and error. We've all been there.

Good luck!
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    I put "a little 1% milk" in my coffee. Turns out its about 3 oz. 3/8 of a cup. 40 calories. Its the same for 2 TBSP of half and half, which has the same effect. So, 3 cups per day, 120 calories there, 30 days....that's either a pound gained or a pound not lost. IF you're not tracking it.

Track and enter EVERYTHING!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    AJF230 wrote: »
    I put "a little 1% milk" in my coffee. Turns out its about 3 oz. 3/8 of a cup. 40 calories. Its the same for 2 TBSP of half and half, which has the same effect. So, 3 cups per day, 120 calories there, 30 days....that's either a pound gained or a pound not lost. IF you're not tracking it.

Track and enter EVERYTHING!

How BIG of a cup of coffee are you drinking if you're adding 3 oz. of 1% milk and don't realize it? Most coffee cups are 6 oz or 8 oz..your coffee would be almost 50% coffee and 50% milk or 64/36?
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Not sure where you're from, but most US folks I know don't actually use coffee cups, they use coffee *mugs* which are more like 12oz minimum, or even bigger. Travel mugs are more like 16-18 ounces.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Estimates & inaccuracies are the culprit here. Not to mention errors in judgement! If you are not losing weight, then you are eating too much.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    There seems a very strong correlation between having a private food diary and complaining of not getting the expected results.

Not!!! The question was not even pertaining to me!! Thanks though.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    MrsKila wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    There seems a very strong correlation between having a private food diary and complaining of not getting the expected results.

Not!!! The question was not even pertaining to me!! Thanks though.

So are you saying that the scenario you described in the original post was either hypothetical, or not your specific situation?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Okay, whoever it is who is having this issue, I strongly recommend they get their metabolism checked and build a food plan with the help of a nutritionist or dietitian. You *have* to know what you're working from in order to build a plan that works, unless you're willing to spend a long, long time experimenting with trial and error.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    It's nice to have numbers written down, to be able to see the math, but those are just numbers on a screen and your body will actually show whether your math is correct or not. If you are not losing weight, your numbers are not correct.

Even if your diary shows extremely accurate numbers and you're weighing every minuscule crumb that goes into your mouth, if you are not losing weight, then the numbers you are using to calculate your daily caloric needs are not accurate for your body and you'll have to make some adjustments. Online calculators are rough estimates, as well as calories on packages and in the database. Weight (fat) loss is all boiled down to calories in/calories out but sometimes finding the exact equation for you can take a lot of trial and error. Keep trying.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    So were are trying to provide assistance to a phantom weight looser? Anywho, you are asking for something else that can be described as a scientific proven alternative to assist in weight loss that is NOT calorie in and calories out?

Well, there is not one, unless you just want to tell phantom weight looser, to just eat less food than what they are now and I can still guarantee they will loose weight!!! No counting really needed... BUT you are on a calorie counting site... so of course we are gonna say we count, measure and weigh everything (an too the gram) and eat back some of the calorie burns through exercise to loose weight.. That has been 100% proven by me for over two years now.. and the calculators are fairly close unless you need to throw in medical conditions, a metabolic test can be easily done to help with dialing down the numbers better if trial and error not working or lost patience with the process...etc..
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    leajas1 wrote: »

Ok?

Ok?

Pretty sure he/she was being sarcastic.

no not sure he was..I google Gary whats his face and he has books on dieting

http://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-advice-that-ignores-hunger
    http://garytaubes.com/2010/12/calories-fat-or-carbohydrates/

Oh, yes, Taubes is a real guy with lots of "scientific evidence." I HAVE to believe that that poster was being sarcastic. I just HAVE to!