• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Paleo Vegan:
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/pegan-diet-paleo-vegan/
    It is probably really healthy. Baboons eat 90%+ vegetarian, and the other tubers and such that they eat would be paleo, and baboons all have incredible health markers if you take their blood work.

"How to Eat Pegan

The pegan diet focuses primarily on fruits and vegetables — specifically, filling 75 percent of your diet with plants, and rounding out the other 25 percent with animal protein and high-quality fats . “The pegan diet is a somewhat odd combination because the foundation of vegan diets is a belief of not consuming any animal products,” says nutritionist and chef Beth Saltz, MPH, RD. “A better description is probably a very clean, modified paleo diet.”

This is not actually vegan. Not even close. You can't just call it "paleo vegan" because you think it sounds good..."vegan" has a specific meaning.

That's pretty much how I eat! Never considered myself 3/4 vegan before!

I would call that "3/4 plant-based", as in my understanding, "plant-based" is what you call a diet with no animal products in it.

"Vegan" is taken to mean a lot more than that - no animal products eaten but also no leather, fur, animal-tested products or other animal products of any kind consumed. It implies a totally animal-product-free lifestyle rather than just not eating meat, dairy, etc. and a corresponding moral stance on the use of animal products. You can eat plant-based for health reasons but veganism has an additional implication that you have certain feelings on the use of animals for human consumption etc, not just in your diet.

ETA: Vegans/plant-based people, please correct me if I'm maligning you here.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Veganism is not a diet. It's an ethical stance.

Nope. Sometimes it's food allergies [if you're vegetarian to begin with] or just a dislike of dairy, or both. I'm eating more and more vegan because dairy bothers my stomach and I have an allergy to eggs and absolutely hate the texture of meat.

Vegans also don't use anything made out of animal products.

Some do, some don't. Depends on the vegan. If you're not doing it for ethical purposes then wearing fur or leather I guess is permissible.

I can only speak for myself when I say it's not an ethical issue with me. The older I get, the more allergies I seem to have and it sucks. I was born allergic to eggs but the dairy thing is new-ish.
  • rstebner
    rstebner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    ouryve wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Paleo Vegan:
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/pegan-diet-paleo-vegan/
    It is probably really healthy. Baboons eat 90%+ vegetarian, and the other tubers and such that they eat would be paleo, and baboons all have incredible health markers if you take their blood work.

"How to Eat Pegan

The pegan diet focuses primarily on fruits and vegetables — specifically, filling 75 percent of your diet with plants, and rounding out the other 25 percent with animal protein and high-quality fats . “The pegan diet is a somewhat odd combination because the foundation of vegan diets is a belief of not consuming any animal products,” says nutritionist and chef Beth Saltz, MPH, RD. “A better description is probably a very clean, modified paleo diet.”

This is not actually vegan. Not even close. You can't just call it "paleo vegan" because you think it sounds good..."vegan" has a specific meaning.

That's pretty much how I eat! Never considered myself 3/4 vegan before!

I would call that "3/4 plant-based", as in my understanding, "plant-based" is what you call a diet with no animal products in it.

"Vegan" is taken to mean a lot more than that - no animal products eaten but also no leather, fur, animal-tested products or other animal products of any kind consumed. It implies a totally animal-product-free lifestyle rather than just not eating meat, dairy, etc. and a corresponding moral stance on the use of animal products. You can eat plant-based for health reasons but veganism has an additional implication that you have certain feelings on the use of animals for human consumption etc, not just in your diet.

ETA: Vegans/plant-based people, please correct me if I'm maligning you here.

There are many types of Vegans. Ethical vegans don't eat meat because of the animals. Vegans for health reasons just haven't made the emotional connection to the animals yet and may still use other animal products. Environmental vegans don't eat meat because animal agriculture is horrible for the environment and they may or may not use other animal products as well. I think the distinction there is whether you are dietary vegan or a lifestyle vegan.

I would agree though that anyone who eats meat, eggs, or dairy sometimes is not vegan by any stretch of the imagination. Plant based would be a more appropriate term.
  • TishTash1616
    TishTash1616 Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Veganism is not a diet. It's an ethical stance.

Nope. Sometimes it's food allergies [if you're vegetarian to begin with] or just a dislike of dairy, or both. I'm eating more and more vegan because dairy bothers my stomach and I have an allergy to eggs and absolutely hate the texture of meat.

Vegans also don't use anything made out of animal products.

Some do, some don't. Depends on the vegan. If you're not doing it for ethical purposes then wearing fur or leather I guess is permissible.

I can only speak for myself when I say it's not an ethical issue with me. The older I get, the more allergies I seem to have and it sucks. I was born allergic to eggs but the dairy thing is new-ish.

A person who uses or consumes animal products, in food, clothing, cosmetics etc. when avoidable is not a vegan.

The definition of veganism, as stated by The Vegan Society, who created the term and defined the philosophy is "Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

You can't be a vegan and not have any regard for the ethics of eating, killing or exploiting animals. If you choose not to eat any animal products, but still buy fur, leather, silk etc. or use cosmetics which contain animal products or have been tested on animals, then you just eat a plant based diet, you are not a vegan.

• helen_demun
    helen_demun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dang this is why I'm always scared to post.. People get so much backlash for being uneducated in certain topics. Sorry guys I'm still learning. I don't consider myself vegan at all, I just enjoy vegan meals because of the plant/veggie/fruit focus. I'm not completely Paleo, just all dairy but I try and avoid gluten when I can because, not a big deal, I just FEEL MY BEST & energized when I eat Paleo. I appreciate vegan lifestyles too and I think a lot of vegan meals have a ton of plant based ingredients that's why I enjoy learning recipes and diets from people who live that lifestyle. I respect all diets and whatever makes people feel best! I've never even heard of half of these but they sound kinda complex! I love learning about nutrition though and different choices people make so I could get on with some of them :)
  • helen_demun
    Options
    Paleo and vegan are two opposite types of diet. One is very meat/egg heavy and omits grains. The other prohibits meat/eggs and relies on other sources of protein, including grains.
    If you are struggling to hit macros now, vegan would probably be much more difficult.

There are tons of great paleo recipes out there. I am not paleo but I do still make some of them.

If you are struggling, then it probably isn't really working for you. Why do you need a specific diet? You can eat the foods that make you feel better, that you like and that help you hit your goals without having to follow a particular diet type.

I actually was told by my doctor to try out a Paleo diet because of PCOS! So that's why I'm just learning about different ways of eating. I'm not trying to become vegan I just enjoy vegan recipes because they have a lot of veggies, nor do I claim to call myself vegan at all! But I get what you're saying! Just altering my diet with these health problems has made it hard to hit macros so I was just looking for advice. Thanks :)
  • helen_demun
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I know lots of people find these diets pointless BUT I was wondering who else follows a plant based diet?! I am Paleo (it works for me and I feel great! What can I say!) and am struggling to hit macros and find good recipes. I would love to continue to do NO dairy (no whey or soy) and am basically no gluten as well. Is there anyone else out there who is Paleo/Vegan?! I would love to add Eachother and give some support :)

Check out these groups, lots of people to add and recipes to share:

Paleo/primal: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

Vegetarian/Vegan: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

This doesn't really fall into the category, but you'll probably find a lot of whole food recipes that fit into Paleo here as well: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group

Thanks so much!! That's what I was looking for!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Paleo and vegan are two opposite types of diet. One is very meat/egg heavy and omits grains. The other prohibits meat/eggs and relies on other sources of protein, including grains.
    If you are struggling to hit macros now, vegan would probably be much more difficult.

There are tons of great paleo recipes out there. I am not paleo but I do still make some of them.

If you are struggling, then it probably isn't really working for you. Why do you need a specific diet? You can eat the foods that make you feel better, that you like and that help you hit your goals without having to follow a particular diet type.

I actually was told by my doctor to try out a Paleo diet because of PCOS! So that's why I'm just learning about different ways of eating. I'm not trying to become vegan I just enjoy vegan recipes because they have a lot of veggies, nor do I claim to call myself vegan at all! But I get what you're saying! Just altering my diet with these health problems has made it hard to hit macros so I was just looking for advice. Thanks :)

@helen_demun
    So I assume your doctor wanted you low carb?
    Which macro are you struggling to hit?
    Have you checked out the Whole 30 book? That may help you balance your meals.
  • x_xKarina
    x_xKarina Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is sooo hostile. :#
  • x_xKarina
    x_xKarina Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Dang this is why I'm always scared to post.. People get so much backlash for being uneducated in certain topics. Sorry guys I'm still learning. I don't consider myself vegan at all, I just enjoy vegan meals because of the plant/veggie/fruit focus. I'm not completely Paleo, just all dairy but I try and avoid gluten when I can because, not a big deal, I just FEEL MY BEST & energized when I eat Paleo. I appreciate vegan lifestyles too and I think a lot of vegan meals have a ton of plant based ingredients that's why I enjoy learning recipes and diets from people who live that lifestyle. I respect all diets and whatever makes people feel best! I've never even heard of half of these but they sound kinda complex! I love learning about nutrition though and different choices people make so I could get on with some of them :)

I was hoping that your post had people who are Vegan responding to it as I am really considering going Vegan and would love friends who've gone through the change. Btw, my whole family are omnivores but I still love them the same. This lifestyle change is for me.

• helen_demun
    Options
    x_xKarina wrote: »
    This is sooo hostile. :#

I know it sucks! I like a lot of the community on here but it's always scary posting because there's always a couple of people like to tell you you're wrong or stupid which is sad because we should be all in this health journey together!! I'm hoping down the line everyone on MFP will respect vegan, Paleo, whole30, all diets and be open to it all
  • helen_demun
    Options

@helen_demun

Honestly it's protein!! I didn't realize how much of it I got from dairy products. I also continue to go over in carbs as well so that's why i was thinking of cutting out grains because my carbs are way too much for PCOS. My carb level is around 80g for a 1300 diet so I'm trying to find what to replace dairy with.. Working on those leafy greens and veggies :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have vegans in my family so maybe I can help.

Almond Breeze, Rice Milk, Soy Milk and Hemp Milk to replace dairy. Nutritional yeast and soaked and pureed cashews for cheese. Diaya also makes a pretty good non dairy cheese.

Beans, nuts, tofu, seitan for protein

check out post punk kitchen for vegan recipes and the recipe book veganomican are my go to places to cook for my vegan family. Lots of info on the web as well. I'm pescatarian and eat tuna my hubby and son are vegans.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options

Do you mean to say that you like vegetarian meals?

What about putting together a list of foods that you like ... without calling it anything in particular?

I don't name my diet. Instead, I eat the foods I want and like. As it happens, the foods I want and like tend to be somewhat vegetarian, but not entirely, I'll throw some chicken in there, and occasionally some other meat. But I have no desire to label it.

If you do feel the need to label what you're doing, look up Mediterranean diet. Maybe that's closer to what you're doing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

@helen_demun

Honestly it's protein!! I didn't realize how much of it I got from dairy products. I also continue to go over in carbs as well so that's why i was thinking of cutting out grains because my carbs are way too much for PCOS. My carb level is around 80g for a 1300 diet so I'm trying to find what to replace dairy with.. Working on those leafy greens and veggies :)

I suspected as much. If you are struggling to hit protein now then becoming vegan will make it harder.

I do suggest checking out the whole 30 website because they go through how to build a meal.

I struggled to get carbs on paleo even though it is not a low carb plan many common sources of carbs are on the prohibited list.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options

Did your doctor suggest Paleo ... or did he/she just suggest you need more protein?
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm a high carb low fat vegan and it works great for me!
  • glipena
    glipena Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm vegan, add me if you'd like
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP isn't actually paleo or vegan as clarified later, right?
  • helen_demun
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OP isn't actually paleo or vegan as clarified later, right?

I'm not vegan, trying to become more Paleo according to my health, but I still have gluten free oats(basically all oats lol) and I have quinoa/Ezekial bread. I just am interested in plant based meals and diets and wanted to follow people who are practicing those kinda lifestyles. I know those diets (Paleo and vegan) are kind of opposite but I actually love both and the ideas behind them. Honestly I'm just really interested in nutrition in general, and want to learn more! Didn't mean to confuse anyone