What is your gym pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

wait, don't you get paid to do all these things?

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.

They're not paid to be someone's maid.....if the rules of the gym (and most of them are pretty standard - you agree to them when you sign your membership agreement) include re-racking your own weights, wiping down equipment after you're used in and, in general behaving like an adult not a spoiled little brat then yes, they should get to *kitten* about it (just the same as my daughter who buses tables at a local pizza joint can complain about ignorant jerks who let their kids run around like animals or intentionally drop food on the floor etc)

did not say I do not do it...just asking if that person gets paid to keep the gym up ...because I am sure that paying members dues are supporting their pay.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When every other cardio machine is empty but the guy picks the one right next to me to use.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    When every other cardio machine is empty but the guy picks the one right next to me to use.

so a paying member does not have a right to choose their own treadmill now?
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    MIne was the lack of squat racks compared to other equipment. Always a wait no matter when I went. So I just bought one of my own at home instead. It's amazing. Imagine having the weight room all to yourself everyday. Your tunes, as loud as you want. Pure heaven.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.

They're not paid to be someone's maid.....if the rules of the gym (and most of them are pretty standard - you agree to them when you sign your membership agreement) include re-racking your own weights, wiping down equipment after you're used in and, in general behaving like an adult not a spoiled little brat then yes, they should get to *kitten* about it (just the same as my daughter who buses tables at a local pizza joint can complain about ignorant jerks who let their kids run around like animals or intentionally drop food on the floor etc)

did not say I do not do it...just asking if that person gets paid to keep the gym up ...because I am sure that paying members dues are supporting their pay.

(because I'm curious of your mindset) If that were the case, why does that matter?

• klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when these 2 particular guys come in at the same time and load up their bars with *all* the 45lb plates and I can't find any more to do my own deadlifts :(

Yes, I fully accept that they have every right, and damn, they can lift a lot, but it does irk me...
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »

(because I'm curious of your mindset) If that were the case, why does that matter?

I'm curious as to what you think their job is if it's not those things mentioned?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate it when the music from the speakers at the gym is turned up so loud that I can hear all that terrible pop music through my earbuds.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Seems like the same problem as in women's bathrooms. The place is empty lady, you have to squat right next to me?
  • chsberthelot
    chsberthelot Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do the right thing! Re rack your weights!! Ahhh
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    hahaha...I tried to sneak one in.
  • ndj1979
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm curious as to what you think their job is if it's not those things mentioned?

Why do I think it's not their job to be someone's maid, regardless if the members' dues go towards their pay? Because, it isn't their job to be someone's maid. I don't expect someone to come behind me and pick up the paper towels I threw on the floor after wiping my sweat, or throw away the empty water bottle I left behind after I finished drinking it (just an example, I don't actually do those things).

I'm an adult, I know to clean up after myself regardless of whose "job" it is to do it. Something that most of us were taught growing up. I don't think it's anyone's "job" to cater to my grown, should-know-better *kitten*.

I just thought I'd add, it makes you wonder why they place trash cans and such all around the facility. I certainly don't think it's for decorative purposes ;) .

So there job is to do what, exactly?
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Weight droppers. I hate hearing the sound through my already excessively loud music. If you're strong enough to lift it, you are strong enough to set it down.

Because I should totally have no problem setting down a 90 lb dumbbell that I need someone's help to get into proper benchpress position initially. Or I should slowly lower a massive deadlift. This might be true for people who don't lift big weights but sometimes you need to give them a break.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    All the peeves posted are the same as mine and are the reasons why I don't belong to a gym anymore and built my own garage gym where I can:

-Use any piece of equipment as long as I like.
    -Rest as long as I like.
    -Play music as loud as I like.
    -Stink up the place and make noises.
    -Don't wipe off gear if I don't feel like it.
    -Drop plates when lifting heavy (but I only use bumpers that don't make much noise).
    -And watch everything that happens in front of my garage door.

The only thing that I do that wouldn't annoy somebody at the gym is that I always rerack and put all of my gear back where it belongs. I'm a neat freak that way. LOL!!!
  • isaacdr
    isaacdr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel judged at the gym! It's a family gym so there's a lot of teenagers who are mostly looking to just goof off. But they also like to gawk at the "fat people" and make them feel incredibly uncomfortable. You know....since they weigh 100 pounds and have the metabolism of a child. They have every right to judge, right?
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    People doing silly stuff in the power rack--push ups, curls, etc. Get out!
    People talking to me while I'm working out.
    Not restacking the weights.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Weight droppers. I hate hearing the sound through my already excessively loud music. If you're strong enough to lift it, you are strong enough to set it down.

Because I should totally have no problem setting down a 90 lb dumbbell that I need someone's help to get into proper benchpress position initially. Or I should slowly lower a massive deadlift. This might be true for people who don't lift big weights but sometimes you need to give them a break.

Cosign

And it is almost impossible to lightly lower a 400# deadllift
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    the 45 minute each way drive it takes to get to the closest gym that actually contains a barbell that isn't captured by a smith machine.

That sounds horrible! Maybe time to set up a kickass home gym?

working on it. Space and budget are limited but I'm getting very very close to what I need. Haven't stepped foot in a gym in over a year.