Found out why my weight loss had stalled/ stopped.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    And carbonated drinks make you hungry. The fizz gets close to what triggers the chemical if you're full or not? And well...you eat when you drink anything fizzy. Beer, water, soda...bar makes money. :# Thanks America for the SUPER SIZE. :|

I've often wondered how my husband can go a whole day without eating, but then i noticed this only happens when he's drinking beer. As soon as he switches to water late afternoon he starts to get ravenous. I think the fizzyness bloats him and makes him feel full. I don't drink beer or soda, so cant put it to the test.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You could bring your own Diet Coke.

You can get kicked out of a pub for stuff like that. You're not supposed to bring in your own stuff.

Wow, really?

Yeah. I don't particularly disagree with the rule to be honest. They're a business and there to make money. If everyone started bringing their own stuff they'd lose a lot of money.

Not if that can't be truthful with you. They've lost you as a customer, makes sense.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member

You can get kicked out of a pub for stuff like that. You're not supposed to bring in your own stuff.

Wow, really?

Yeah. I don't particularly disagree with the rule to be honest. They're a business and there to make money. If everyone started bringing their own stuff they'd lose a lot of money.

Not if that can't be truthful with you. They've lost you as a customer, makes sense.

True in that their not being truthful would usually put me off as a customer. But it's the local and where my group of friends prefer to go. So I'll still go there, but I'll be changing what I drink from now on to something like wine...might try some more spirits to see if I can do neat spirits but I've not found ones I like like that to be honest.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Have you tried club soda with spirits?
  • SophieSmall95
    Drink Guinness. It's only like 120 calories and has the added benefit of filing you up.... Unless you are scared of some nonsensical fizzy reaction. Lol. I almost peed my pants when I saw that.

Guinness is 210 not 120 calorie per pint, not much less than a larger (Which I prefer). Really not a fan of Guinness at all.
  • SophieSmall95
    Have you tried club soda with spirits?

Yes, can't stand it unfortunately :/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Drink Guinness. It's only like 120 calories and has the added benefit of filing you up.... Unless you are scared of some nonsensical fizzy reaction. Lol. I almost peed my pants when I saw that.

I've heard Guiness is its own food group and people can just about live on the stuff.

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    [/quote]

I've often wondered how my husband can go a whole day without eating, but then i noticed this only happens when he's drinking beer. As soon as he switches to water late afternoon he starts to get ravenous. I think the fizzyness bloats him and makes him feel full. I don't drink beer or soda, so cant put it to the test.

[/quote]

Yep that's me, I can run a whole day on coke alone and not be hungry. I also drink mineral water and while its not the same as I will get hungry eventually esp if I am active it does certainly delay teh sense of hunger.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    You do know Diet Coke makes you gain weight? Right? Our bodies are so used to fake sugars that it tricks our bodies into thinking it's real sugar. :#

BS. I've been drinking diet sodas for several months now and thus is just not true.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member

Wow, really?

True in that their not being truthful would usually put me off as a customer. But it's the local and where my group of friends prefer to go. So I'll still go there, but I'll be changing what I drink from now on to something like wine...might try some more spirits to see if I can do neat spirits but I've not found ones I like like that to be honest.

I definitely would have a nice polite discussion with the employees about lying to you in future. Ugh
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Wow, that's 150 (220-70) cals per drink. It would take 23 drinks per week to make a difference of 3500 cals or one pound weight loss!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member

Wow, really?

Also, at least in most places in the US bringing your own food goes against health department codes. Has to do with the possibility of cross contamination.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Wow, really?

Also, at least in most places in the US bringing your own food goes against health department codes. Has to do with the possibility of cross contamination.

Made up BS, me thinks!
  • luveydov
    luveydov Posts: 36 Member
    Do you have those individual servings of lemonade type drinks in your grocery? Here we have Crystal Lite. You can carry that that and mix it with Vodka and Club soda. It's not too bad.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    luveydov wrote: »
    Do you have those individual servings of lemonade type drinks in your grocery? Here we have Crystal Lite. You can carry that that and mix it with Vodka and Club soda. It's not too bad.

Oh, no, you're going to divert the thread to a discussion of food and drink terms (and possibly other words) that don't mean the same thing in the U.K. and U.S. (lemonade in U.S. is not the same thing as lemonade in U.K.)

Also, if you read the thread, you would see that the O.P. isn't interested in violating the prohibition on bringing your own food/drink into a pub.

Huh, I never knew that about lemonade. What's the difference with UK lemonade? Just curious.

OP, I would be furious too. But I love Diet Coke and hate Coke. I can taste the difference immediately because my mom used to give it to me when I had stomach bugs. Now it just makes me gag.

I personally would casually ask why they said that they had it. It might've not been a big concern for you health-wise, but as you mentioned, that could be horrible for anyone with a health condition. Hell, it might give them to get it from the reason alone. Always worth a shot, especially if you're a regular.