WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Bewitching Broads;

Well, today was a stellar diet day… got to shave another inch of my waist and belly/hip measurements. Yee Haw! And, my Dears, that is all the news that’s fit to print. Still no excitement – just doing my thing – and it’s working. Can’t ask for more than that.

All the fat that was once firm and tight is now soft and squishy – my thighs are starting to look like ice cream when it melts… that kind of foamy sliding mass…. So not attractive – but, hey, it means that fat is escaping and leaving the squish behind… so, I will take it.

Everything jiggles… YAY… lol.

###########

Joyce – you are always a Fantastic Femme. I am always in awe of how you take care of Charlie. And I am very glad you have the appointment with the cardiologist. That level of “weak and tired” is never a good sign. I think it’s your turn to be taken care of for a moment or two, Sweetie. ((Hugs!!))

Michele – I am more about high protein than I am about low carbs – I find the protein and fat don’t trigger so many cravings. I had a sterling example of why I need to avoid processed carbs just yesterday… I bought a couple of “Lunchables Uploaded” boxes at the store. 280 calories – walking tacos, or nachos. Sounded like a plan to me….But I am here to tell you that not all calories are created equal. I ate those stupid nachos – which were admittedly delicious (in that 7/11 nacho sort of way) and crunchy – but DAAAAANG. I wanted three more boxes… I mean, I REALLY wanted them. Thank goodness I didn’t have any more with me than the lunch I had packed… which did include my trusty Greek Yogurt. I ate a couple of those little high protein gems and I was back on track – but the fact that if I had had another box of Nachos here, I probably would have eaten it, was just one more reminder… protein is good.

Carey - *waves* Enjoy the Olympics.

Liz :p

Roxy – so jealous of your mountains… that is one of the few things I truly miss after moving to TX. I moved from the NW – where you could look in any direction and see a mountain in the distance – to the Plains… where you can look in any direction and see… cloudless sky.

Lenora – DH says, professional basketball players have to make difficult shots with people screaming and waving their arms… why should golfers get people whispering while they putt? And what is making your dizzy? Do the Docs know? The only time I ever have any “dizzy” issues is when my sinuses go nuts in the worst part of allergy season. Hope you can get back into the pool, soon.

Larisa – Glad you are loving the job. Stop in when you can.

Kim/NCA – love the fruit! And yes, fruit sugar is always better than a donut!

Connie – I imagine there ARE a lot of women who have never experienced the pleasure of taking out her frustrations on an inanimate object. I worked with my Dad remodeling houses as a girl… I learned pretty young that a hammer is a powerful tool… and not just for building things. Good luck with the new job!

Allie – Insurance companies suck.

NYKaren – My Moderator, Sister… super cool that your friend will be your exercise buddy. Roasted vegetables trump salad, every time. I would have forgotten it too. And yes – I am HORRIBLE at waiting – anticipation is the worst. Once the crisis arises, I usually manage it pretty effectively – but the worrying about it – and the waiting for it *shudders* Not good.

Kylia – lol – I much prefer rice, too. When I make something to serve with rice, I always eat some. Just not as much as DH eats. Potatoes – unless we are talking about French fries – I can skip. And absolutely, the support here is awesome and it is so incredibly helpful to know that there is such a fantastic source of knowledge and just plain old commiseration. Sometimes, you just need a sympathetic ear.

Barbie – I love a good routine, too. Minor variations are all right, but, excitement usually means trouble, so.. it is not something I look for.

Carol:o

Pip - *waves*

Cheri – Crochet therapy will get you through… and there is no harm is taking your time and settling in. I mean, gosh… just the heat will take some getting used to. Oh, and if you don’t already have some – go to the sporting goods section of Walmart and invest in some good polarized sunglasses… otherwise, you will be half-blind most of the time. And TV – they roll the nightly news at ten, here… lots of morning people, I guess. They get up early to beat the heat. Oh… um… 75 degrees. Can you say “small fortune?” We keep the AC at 78 here – and my bills are higher than I like - but 81 turned me into a sweat-ball every time I got off the couch!

Irivera54 – hello!

Karen/VA- cute crochet ball…

Mia – My condolences… Mexican food is one of the true joys of living…

Betty – Glad you have your ring being properly cared for… it will be back on your finger in no time…Great work on the calories.

Purl – You know the old saw… Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Be sure you enjoy it.

Heather – Grandbabies are marvelous… you get to dress them up, play with them, enjoy them thoroughly, and then send them home.

Vicki – Love, Love, Love a lazy weekend. Enjoy!

Becca – I don’t suppose they have an Aldi in Astoria, these days? It’s a great place to shop on a budget. And being a survivor is a most important life skill. You, my Dear, don’t just survive… your survive with style. ((Hugs!))

KJ – I know, right? Me not cooking should not automatically equal eating out. What is that all about? Like DH can’t open a can of chili and pour it into a pan? Sheesh.

Margaret<3

KarenE – yeah, nothing so attractive as wet spots on your KNEES. *sighs* Oh well.

Marcelyn – LOL – “practiced sweating.” I think I got that down without any more practice! Have fun making the doll clothes… I have a hard enough time making normal sized stuff… I can’t even imagine making tiny clothes.

Sue – maybe dealing with frustration is part of the therapy? Good luck.

Katla – My DH has diabetes, too. It complicates a lot of things… *sighs*

Charleen *waves*

Anne – ((Hugs!))

#########

Well, another exotic and exciting day has passed.. and I am still fighting the good fight.

Big Squishy Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    well its been a long day and now my sciatic nerve is bothering me...well of course it should I got on the scale and was just totally disgusted with myself.. I have gained 42 lbs back and feel like a whale..
    I have been under a tad bit of stress over the past yr or so and have eaten my way through it.. disgustingly..
    I really liked the new Dr alot, and found alot of her information interesting.. and she wants to get an ultrasound .
    and with our insurance... Ohhh no we wont cover that you have to pay your 5,500 deductible first, then we might consider paying 80% of other covered expenses...
    I called the office back and told her I will get blood work done, and will take medications asked to take but just cant find out where to come up with 5.500 dollars.. what the heck is this insurance companies up to?
    Oh well off I go.. will catch up later..

The insurance company is a farce! They take lots of money, pay doctors pennies, make us still pay for so much! Then when the doctor orders something you have to fight the people who didn't go to medical school to get it covered. Not sure who thought them up..... :#

Ask about some stretches to see if that might help some. Hope you get some relief soon!

Kylia from Ohio
  • roxyspitfire53
    roxyspitfire53 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    My day:

Direct TV appointment at 8 am. He came. He saw. He said no-way was he trying to get on my roof. No Direct TV (I'm just fine with that)
    Made roasted chickpeas for a snack. One batch is four days worth of "nuggets" (about 1/4 cup) Quite tasty.
    Started my granddaughter's birthday present. She is turning three. She wanted baby doll clothes. So I started sewing some. Now I remember that I hate sewing those tiny little things. :) Going to get a couple of outfits done for her.
    Walked 1 1/4 to the trainer and went along the bayou. No shade. Hot. Sweltering. Worked out with him for 45 minutes and walked back. Got in the house. Drank about a gallon of water. Laid on the cool tile floor and just practiced sweating. ;)
    Back to sewing.
    Leftovers for dinner. Tilapia tacos.

That's life here.

Roxy - Have you done the Sandia Tramway yet? It's a nice ride. Unless you don't like heights. But the view is amazing.

No we haven't done the Tram yet. Either the end of this month or next month. Where in Houston are you. We always lived on the west side of highway 6.

The hardest part of working at home and living in Albuquerque is that 90% of our company is in Texas. So my phone, computer, emails are all on Texas (central) time. I am in Mountain time. The good thing is that I start at 6:30 and I am done at 4 and nobody can tell the difference.

Went to the chiro today and he wants me to come 3-4 time a week for the next month or two. I am hoping that this will help with some of the pain and also help with providing a bit more movement in my back.

I still was good at eating today and went for my walk 2 miles. My right knee started complaining after the first mile. So got thru the second mile and now have an ice pack on the stupid thing.

Well that's all for tonite, I am a little tired and need to go fold clothes

Roxanne in Albuquerque
  • kymarai
    Options
    Michele in NC- Sometimes we just have to give them a little nudge! ;) I threatened to cut down a tree that I had been waiting three years to be taken down. Once I said it was coming down that weekend one way or another, it amazingly got done! lol!
    Kylia
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC I do not have that certification. I do have the ACE Group Fitness certification. It looks like I will be mostly serving. It's possible that I may go from being a sub to a permanent soon. I am working everyday next week.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    G
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    :(
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    :(

Why the sad face? Is everything okay? (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    OOOh, I love you ladies so!!!
    You all just "get me" and oof da I am NOT easy to get. As a child, it was my job to be the funny one, the one that was entertaining and distract whatever DRAMA my two older sisters had cooked up inside their heads. I would imagine they thought I was one strange kid. I had a phobia about bugs, and living in the country, well I faced my fate on a daily basis. I remember stepping outside onto the deck, jumping from board to board, because I knew bugs would nip my toes. I would look one way and scream, then the other way and scream, then just run back into the house. Every night I HAD to check every corner of the ceiling for spiders, and on my pillow. Once I didn't and I have a TRAUMATIC memory of turning on the light because I remembered I needed to check, and wouldn't you know, there was a spider RIGHT on my pillow. When it rained, (which is does a lot in Oregon) there are many big worms that are all over. Well, I THOUGHT the worms came from the sky, so I was always looking up and being so scared that I worm would fall on my forehead. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Ok as you have guessed, (at least you are hoping) that I have gotten all over that, and now I can squish a spider on the wall with a flip-flop with the best of them! Of course, its not MY flip-flop, its my husbands' Duh!

So today we bought a full cart load of groceries for $70. I was quite proud of myself. Of course, there are still things we need, but hopefully the food banks can fill in any spaces.

Also made the family a large salad, then made them eat everything out of the salad bowl so I could build MY salad. I like cottage cheese in it, plus diced tomatoes, and had some sliced beets on the side. Some Fat Free dressing, and lots of pepper. I think I used my finger to get up all the beet juice and cottage cheese..... It's legal at home don'tcha know?

OOOOh my middle son called. He is in the Navy and his carrier came home to San Diego yesterday!!!! This will be his last deployment, because in Sept 18th, he will get out. Being in the "Air Navy" hasn't been the best fit for him, and I am excited to see what he gets into next. He is in aviation electronics, and he will be attending college to get into the Electrical field in the civilian sector. He will become a Navy Dependent, which should be interesting. My DIL has a year left before she gets out. Then they want to both be in college. I am nervous in how THAT will turn out. They will have a reality check in the cost of things that is for certain!

He sounded tired, but happy. He is 21 and too young to be married, but what do I know? They seem happy, but they are just kids playing at this married thing, and oooh I hope it works out for them. I wished he had waited and not married the first girl his loins fell in lust with. (I know pretty graphic Becca, but that is how I feel). He has never had a girlfriend, never had his heart wounded, and never fought to keep a relationship going. Of course he IS only 21, so I guess life will fold out as it may. Today, however, I wanted to just buzz down there and make him a homecooked meal....

Becca
    feeling like a tourist in my own city....
    in Oregon

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    H
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Roxy, my girls loved when they had clothes for their dolls also. Their favorite dolls were the Cabbage Patch kids. We had a person at work who made the most 'real' cabbage patch dolls. You couldn't tell they weren't the real things and were much cheaper. So they had several of those. My Dad loved to make things. So basically what he made them were wooden boxes with a door on them. But he gave them a really nice stain, put a retractable clothes hanger in them and then Mom painted a fake cabbage patch doll and then their names on the front. Mom was always making clothes for the dolls so they loved those things. They both have them. Michelle still has hers in her bedroom and it's like a bedside table. Christina's is here and we keep books in them for kids when they come. They both took them to college with them and the students in the dorms loved them. my sister's daughter sold hers not long after she grew out of the doll phase. I am glad my girls still have something their Grandparents made for them.

Well my chest x-ray did not show pneumonia. I was kind of surprised. But my doctor said a little known side effect of the medicine they used to stress my heart, and boy it did, is an asthmatic response. So I am on a short course of Prednisone. I hope it makes my legs feel better also.

I don't know if it my obese legs, diabetes or a combination but i get a lot of fungal rashes in y groin. Athletes foot cream clears it up real nice. But if I might have to have a cardiac cath, I want my groins to be sparkling clean!!!! So I will really work on getting that done. Now I do have a fair amount of psoriasis in my groins also but I can't do anything about that. The expensive medicines really never did that much for it. Some one commented that they hope I can sleep through the procedure. I don't know how it is done now but when I was working cardiac nursing they wanted the patient to be awake enough to let them know it what the procedure was doing was giving them angina. So I have no idea what to expect. Charlie had both of his done right straight from the ER and doesn't remember anything about them. I hope that doesn't happen to me. She did say today that if I have any chest pain at all to go to the ER stat. My girls asked me if I knew the different signs of a heart attack in a woman vs a man. I couldn't state them right off the top of my head so they did research for me and sent it to me by facebook messager. So I guess I am well equiped now.

Don't know what is in Charlie tonight. It's like he is in some kind of nesting mode. He is cleaning everything. I'll just let him clean away. I think he has found 20 little flashlights, the kind you take and use in a Karaoke bar. It can't give off much light as not to bother anyone else but enough light you can write down your song request. I think he has found 4 pair of glasses, 3 broken sunglasses, 5 pads of paper, poker chips, the grand kids hair rubber bands and some Halloween clacking teeth.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

@Goodmomkim -- thanks ! I like having fruit in my diet too! It is helpful with that sweet tooth! I have type 2 just need to be careful!

@grandmallie -- I too was a lunch mom! I did it for several years will my daughter was in elementary school! I enjoyed it! I like how it worked around my daughter school hours and off work on school holidays!

@barbiecat-- I like routine too! I find it comforting!

Today was a busy day at work! We took our group to PoJo's a local arcade! It was loud and busy with all the bright lights added to that it was over stimulating! It Was hard for some of our peeps! But on the most part they loved it that is the most important part! But I was tired after that one!

Went to the Y after work! Enjoyed walking the track but my track buddy didn't show up! I noticed she hasn't been as consistent lately! I need to get a headset or something ! I don't want to stop going!

Wishing everyone a good night!
    Liz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Joyce - Happy that you are getting help. <3

KJ - Of course you can message me. :flowerforyou:

Just finished my exercises and now relaxing and catching up. How we missed their little voices this morning and all the bouncing on the bed and tunneling under the duvet. :D

I am going to try out my pressure cooker today for the first time in years. I bought a new gasket and valve as it is 46 years old :o and last night I download a recipe book, really to get some idea of the timings for different foods. I am making pork with lentils. Using one of my tins of chipotle chillies in adobo sauce. Probably a couple of chillies will be plenty. I will taste them first. I can take it super hot, but not DH. :* Having it with runner beans from the garden. Will weigh and measure recipe carefully.
    I bought my son the Instant Pot Duo, thinking he would use it as a slow cooker, but he has been singing the praises of the pressure cooker feature. I am not pressed for time, but thought I would give pressure cooking another go.

Despite not exercising for two days while the grandchildren were here, my weight has stayed the same. Hooray! DH has lost a pound!!! Just shows how much energy you burn up just being active and walking about. :D

Going to arrange a couple of outings for next week with girlfriends. :D

Love to all. Cheri - when DDIL rang on Wednesday she sounded quite tired and fed up. She had spent the whole day, while we had the two older ones, unpacking boxes and getting DS to fix things. She said she had "had enough now". :laugh:

Heather, who is not watching the Olympics, UK :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    wow we got one heck of a thunderstorm last night, woke us both up and raining so hard,Tom woke up and was sweeping water into the sump pump yelling and swearing ,and we didnt get to sleep until about 10.. he got up at 2, and we are suppose to get more this afternoon and tonight...I an exsuasted.. and I am sure he is too..
    will check in tonight if I can
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... I'm still around, just not posting much. The uncertainties in life are kinda bashing my little head in, and I would have just ended up whining. Not my style--and honestly, am in no way commenting on anyone else's need for support, just my own. Or my own lack thereof.

I find myself living in the serenity prayer, if you remember it, though I always thought they should have added a word, as in "[please] grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference." Not sure I have enough wisdom right now. Sorry to be vague, but the set of details about what's up in the air are just mind-numbingly boring, even to me.

On an interesting note, though, I did get hit on the other night. Was oddly pleasing to some weird part of my psyche, since the dude was literally young enough to be my son.

Vanity, thy name is woman.

Hope that sad face from Rori was just a typo - she and I are s'posed to meet in Alpine (Texas) on Sunday. Looking forward to that.

Love y'all,
    Lisa from West Texas
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    A quick hello to let you know I'm still around.

Trying to adjust to my new way of life, which is having so much less free time. I found that although I am getting more sleep I just don't have the energy to get up and exercise in the morning like I did before. It becomes a vicious cycle, no energy or motivation to exercise, and the decreased exercise results in less energy. I'm trying to push through it. I got a very inexpensive rower in order to vary my cardio routine a bit. I am trying to do some kettle bell exercises at least every other day. On the suggestion of someone here I began taking collagen gelatin on Tuesday. My hips are really sore in the morning not to mention my elbow that has been bothering me for the past couple of months. I did some research and it seems to have a lot of benefits and it's very easy to incorporate into food. Even if it just strengthens my nails so I can enjoy a manicure would be a plus.

Unfortunately work has interfered drastically with the time that I can spend with MS (Main Squeeze) and things are not going real well right now :'( .

Hugs to all.

Chris in MA
  • kymarai
    Options
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies!
    Annr wrote: »
    OOOh, I love you ladies so!!!

So today we bought a full cart load of groceries for $70. I was quite proud of myself. Of course, there are still things we need, but hopefully the food banks can fill in any spaces.

Also made the family a large salad, then made them eat everything out of the salad bowl so I could build MY salad. I like cottage cheese in it, plus diced tomatoes, and had some sliced beets on the side. Some Fat Free dressing, and lots of pepper. I think I used my finger to get up all the beet juice and cottage cheese..... It's legal at home don'tcha know?

OOOOh my middle son called. He is in the Navy and his carrier came home to San Diego yesterday!!!! This will be his last deployment, because in Sept 18th, he will get out. Being in the "Air Navy" hasn't been the best fit for him, and I am excited to see what he gets into next. He is in aviation electronics, and he will be attending college to get into the Electrical field in the civilian sector. He will become a Navy Dependent, which should be interesting. My DIL has a year left before she gets out. Then they want to both be in college. I am nervous in how THAT will turn out. They will have a reality check in the cost of things that is for certain!

He sounded tired, but happy. He is 21 and too young to be married, but what do I know? They seem happy, but they are just kids playing at this married thing, and oooh I hope it works out for them. I wished he had waited and not married the first girl his loins fell in lust with. (I know pretty graphic Becca, but that is how I feel). He has never had a girlfriend, never had his heart wounded, and never fought to keep a relationship going. Of course he IS only 21, so I guess life will fold out as it may. Today, however, I wanted to just buzz down there and make him a homecooked meal...

Great job on the grocery shopping! It is really hard to feed a family on so little. Creativity is the key. Love the salad story! So my DYD graduated HS, called me and said she was moving in with a guy in the Navy (2004). I said whatever you do, don't get married right away. (I married my HS sweetheart right after graduation. AF) Next call I get is she is married. SMH. I said whatever you do don't get pregnant. Get to know each other first. Being a military wife is hard......Next phone call was she was pregnant- grumble grumble. The upside is our oldest granddaughter is awesome! They are still married. It hasn't been easy following in her mom's footsteps, but I am proud of them. There have been plenty of struggles, but they have managed. The Navy downsized and my SIL was out. That was a shock to the system after 14 yrs in the military. I am glad they are back close to home and I get to see my babies more often!

JOYCE- Glad it isn't pneumonia! It really does sound like you are getting lots of good support! :)

HEATHER- It was always bitter sweet when my DGD left to go back home after extended time with us. Living so far away sucked. We had her close by from age 1-3. We kept her at night so her mommy could work. Daddy was out on an aircraft carrier in San Diego. I still remember the day they left to join him in FL. DH and I got to the farm gate after work, looked at each other and started crying as no one said "get the gate Papaw!" Still makes me cry and she is 13! I love the time with all of them but boy they wore me out. Now both sets are close by. In fact, my DYD and family live 15 mins away, so see often. DOD and family live an hour away and are crazy busy, but always excited to see Mamaw and Papaw. In fact they will be up here on Sunday :)

LISA- I have just been through a phase in my life that way! We have your back and are here for you! As to your NSV.....WOOOHOOO! Always makes us feel good!

Ladies, make the most of your day! Make sure you smile! It really does spread!
    <3
    Kylia from OH
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    s0111.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, Hope you all have a Fantastic Friday!