What is your gym pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Curls in the squat rack when the gym has at least 6 barbells not associated with a bench, rack, lifting platform, etc and plenty of open floorspace.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Oh this thread again -_- I see the usual answers but awaiting following answers:
    -women who wear tight clothes
    -women who wear makeup

Shouldn't be long now.

My gym is attached to my place of work (so I get a free gym membership) sometimes I go in early to get in a weight training session. I get some of the worst looks because I have my hair and makeup done and I'm working out. I guess that would be considered my biggest pet peeve.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This guy that screams out as if he's getting raped in jail while doing the leg press.
  • mellyboobear
    mellyboobear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sweaty machines, people on their phones holding up equipment or space, and people that stop and stare.
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My only pet peeve is about the facility itself. One of the rooms upstairs where I do step class is incredibly hot - even with air conditioning. When I finish the workout sometimes I feel ill from how hot it is.
  • ekisselbach
    ekisselbach Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have 2. Those who sit at a machine playing with their cell phone while others are waiting to use it and people who don't wipe down their machine when they finish sweating all over it. No, I do not appreciate sitting in your butt sweat.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

wait, don't you get paid to do all these things?

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.

They're not paid to be someone's maid.....if the rules of the gym (and most of them are pretty standard - you agree to them when you sign your membership agreement) include re-racking your own weights, wiping down equipment after you're used in and, in general behaving like an adult not a spoiled little brat then yes, they should get to *kitten* about it (just the same as my daughter who buses tables at a local pizza joint can complain about ignorant jerks who let their kids run around like animals or intentionally drop food on the floor etc)

did not say I do not do it...just asking if that person gets paid to keep the gym up ...because I am sure that paying members dues are supporting their pay.

(because I'm curious of your mindset) If that were the case, why does that matter?

I'm curious as to what you think their job is if it's not those things mentioned?

Why do I think it's not their job to be someone's maid, regardless if the members' dues go towards their pay? Because, it isn't their job to be someone's maid. I don't expect someone to come behind me and pick up the paper towels I threw on the floor after wiping my sweat, or throw away the empty water bottle I left behind after I finished drinking it (just an example, I don't actually do those things).

I'm an adult, I know to clean up after myself regardless of whose "job" it is to do it. Something that most of us were taught growing up. I don't think it's anyone's "job" to cater to my grown, should-know-better *kitten*.

I just thought I'd add, it makes you wonder why they place trash cans and such all around the facility. I certainly don't think it's for decorative purposes ;) .

You still didn't answer my question. What is their job? I'm sure somewhere in their job description is verbiage similar to this: "Employees shall keep gym neat." AND "Employees shall rack any loose weights at the beginning and end of every shift."

This isn't an argument about adults knowing better and cleaning up after themselves. I'm simply trying to learn what you think the job of an employee at a gym is.

Here's a similar example from a different perspective: My gym provides clean sweat towels on a table for members to use. When finished, you put the towel in a basket filled with other sweaty towels. The employees of that gym handle those towels when placing them in a washing machine. Not really any different than picking up a sweaty paper towel and placing it in the garbage receptacle in my opinion.
  • tashantx
    tashantx Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    ralfprz wrote: »
    I dont smell the greatest after a 2 hour cardio sesh but theres always that one SUPER STINNNKYY/PISS/B.O person in the gym, huge pet peeve when they start working out next to you and you cant even breathe.

Ditto. I feel so rude but it kills me
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

wait, don't you get paid to do all these things?

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.

When you eat in a fast food place do you take your trash and put it in the garbage can or do you just leave it? Sure someone will come around and clean up after you, but it is customary in a place like that to throw your trash away, just like it is customary to put your weights back.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Weight droppers. I hate hearing the sound through my already excessively loud music. If you're strong enough to lift it, you are strong enough to set it down.

Because I should totally have no problem setting down a 90 lb dumbbell that I need someone's help to get into proper benchpress position initially. Or I should slowly lower a massive deadlift. This might be true for people who don't lift big weights but sometimes you need to give them a break.

Dumbbells are made of rubber. They make a dull boing noise. No problem. Barbell exercises make noise. The bar and hole of the weight plate have space to make sound. The plates will hit together and make sound. No problem. People who every time, at the top of their deadlift motion, DROP the barbell like they just roasted Eminem in a rap battle and are dropping the mic are the worst kind of people.

OH. And people who drop cable weights. Wow.

try and pull a 400# max deadlift and see how lightly you can set it down ..

deadlifts, by their nature, are going to be loud...

technically, at the top of your deadlift you are supposed to RDL it and then let the weight come down to the floor after you get about knee high...not really sure how you do that with minimal noise, but I am open to suggestions..

• fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Weight droppers. I hate hearing the sound through my already excessively loud music. If you're strong enough to lift it, you are strong enough to set it down.

Because I should totally have no problem setting down a 90 lb dumbbell that I need someone's help to get into proper benchpress position initially. Or I should slowly lower a massive deadlift. This might be true for people who don't lift big weights but sometimes you need to give them a break.

Dumbbells are made of rubber. They make a dull boing noise. No problem. Barbell exercises make noise. The bar and hole of the weight plate have space to make sound. The plates will hit together and make sound. No problem. People who every time, at the top of their deadlift motion, DROP the barbell like they just roasted Eminem in a rap battle and are dropping the mic are the worst kind of people.

technically, at the top of your deadlift you are supposed to RDL it and then let the weight come down to the floor after you get about knee high...not really sure how you do that with minimal noise, but I am open to suggestions..

What you said: let the weight come down to the floor after you get about knee high
    This is what I said: at the top of their deadlift motion, DROP the barbell

Do you see what you're trying to defend and what I'm annoyed about? They're not the same :)

My friend is pretty good at not being obnoxious. Even though he drops sometimes when he's just goofing around. What he's doing in that video is not slamming. And yes I know those are some bumper plates, but he still isn't dropping it right after he straighens out.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

What you said: let the weight come down to the floor after you get about knee high
    This is what I said: at the top of their deadlift motion, DROP the barbell

Do you see what you're trying to defend and what I'm annoyed about? They're not the same :)

My friend is pretty good at not being obnoxious. Even though he drops sometimes when he's just goofing around. What he's doing in that video is not slamming. And yes I know those are some bumper plates, but he still isn't dropping it right after he straighens out.

those still came down pretty hard..

my point is that deadlifts are never going to be a quiet lift...

No, people should not be screaming like they are giving birth when doing their lifts, but, come on, it is a gym and by nature it is going to be loud...

• TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to be happy, so I'm rarely peeved. I can only remember being peeved one time when this lady was on her phone next to me having such a bitchy awful gossipy conversation. I just wanted to reach over and smack her on the mouth. Otherwise, even the phone wouldn't bother me. I just don't want to listen to the negative *kitten* while I'm in my happy place
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    Options

The people that pound cable weights on every rep and the people who do exercises directly in front of the free weights are probably my biggest pet peeves.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    people who stand in front of the dumbbell rack so no one else can get a weight and people who think its a place to meet people and wear
    perfume
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever really been irritated at the gym was this day:
    Today at the gym, I needed to get into a locker and when I asked the woman who was sitting on the bench in front of it if I could just grab my stuff really quick, she just stared at me and moved even more slowly doing what she was doing--put on boots, laced them up, paused, stared at spiral-y telephone cord keychain bracelet, put it on, sighed, slid hoodie on over arms, stopped and looked around, slid on coat (at this point another woman came up and asked if she could get to the locker above #1's head but #1 just kept going), put on gloves, twisted scarf around neck, looked down and fluffed scarf, slowly leaned forward to pick up bag. At that point I put my hand in the middle of her back and pushed her off the bench. No I didn't. But I kind of wanted to.