Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @featherlilly -- Yes, you are welcome to join the group! There are some suggestions for daily topics on page one, but they aren't mandatory--just something to keep conversation going. :smile:

@suznhenz -- It sounds like you've found the perfect plan for yourself--keep going!!

@niki-- I agree that the weight loss is more linked to food and exercise is for feeling good. :) I also like to burn calories to give myself some leeway with the foods I eat and drink. I'm not willing to give up meals out or cocktails with friends, so I know I need to make up for that somehow. :smile:

@oberson-- I love working out and especially running, and I still find I get into the occasional rut where I've lost my mojo. Sometimes it's b/c I've been sick or busy and missed a few days at the gym that have snowballed into a few weeks or even months. The only way I can break that is to just force myself to go back once by reminding myself how good I feel after I've worked out. Usually that's enough to get me back into some sort of routine. Another trick that I use is to sign up for a race that I know will be chip-timed. The pressure of not wanting a horrible race time posted for the world to see is usually enough to get me moving. LOL

Regarding a food scale, I agree with both niki and badnoodle. Niki is right that if you are just starting out with portion control measuring can make a big difference; I lost my first 25 lbs simply measuring out foods or even just eyeballing the amount and logging here in MFP. However, as badnoodle said, the difference can really add up throughout the course of a day, so that you may think you are consuming far less that you truly are. Here's a video to illustrate that difference for anyone interested in watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnpUYmr0OM

AFM-- I got something accomplished in my house--hooray!! A couple of weeks ago, I bought a small cabinet off of a virtual garage sale site on FB. It's really cool with a retro '60s or '70s style that I love. Anyway, it's just been sitting in the way in our office, so today, I moved into the spare room. There's a lot of junk in there, so I had to move a lot around, throw away some garbage, and then rearrange some items. I t took a couple of hours, but it's all done and looks so much better in there. :)

Fitness Goals for the month of August:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 10:32
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end

You vs Year Challenge:
    229 k done/ 771 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + do weights and abs videos DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner + do weights and abs videos
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound ... thanks for that video. It's an eye opener, isn't it.

Another place I've converted to using the scale instead of measuring cups/spoons is in cooking. Today I made barley & beef stuffed bell peppers. I always find it extremely amazing how a tiny tiny tiny smidgen of something ups the scale for 5 - 15 grams and it looks like nothing! ... Geez ... of course, the more dense the food, the high the weight for the same volume as for another ... like a gram of raw ground beef looks a lot different than a gram of minced onion.

However, since MFP only allows units of servings in their recipe builder, I'll take the average weight of everything and divide it by the number of servings I expect from the dish. My healthy stuffed peppers come to 254 calories for a servings ... which is 1/2 a pepper, stuffed and baked in tomato puree. At this point, I'm unconcerned if one serving is a little bigger than another, because I'll be the one to eat all 8 of the pepper halves I made today ... and figure it will average out. It is just to difficult to make each one weigh the same as I'm putting them together because the pepper halves are slightly different one from the othe. The stuffing mixture is also a bit different from one to the other, with each having a slightly different composition of beef, barley, onion, carrot, garlic, parsley in it just be the nature of it being a mixture.

@suznhenz ... certainly wish I had a bike like that one. Or any recumbent bike, for that matter. You are definitely eating less than you use up. I know a man who figures out what his daily calories by going through a math formula for each day because he wants to make certain he doesn't have NET calories below a certain point. But, he eats close to 3000 calories a day and then burns 2/3 of them away in exercise! ... Me, I eat 1500 calories a day and burn 300 in exercise.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    suznhenz wrote: »
    I'm 69 and realized that, if I didn't do something soon, my good years would be definitely long gone. Then, I found my TerraTrike and have LOVED exercising ever since! And, since I work so hard to ride 10 - 20 miles a day, I have had no real inclination to over eat - I don't want to waste that effort, plus my appetite is substantially reduced now that I have cut WAY down on refined carbs, which were always my nemesis. I even turned down DH's offer of a biscuit yesterday - which, in the past, would have been impossible. I just didn't want it. According to MFP, my calorie "target" is 1840, but I don't think I have eaten over about 1100 - 1200 calories in the last 34 days (since I started tracking with MFP). Since my GPS watch calculates my exercise calories at between 1100 and 2200 calories per ride, depending on distance, time, elevation changes and speed of my ride, I usually have about 1800 calories remaining at the end of the day, which I gather is equivalent to 1/2 pound of fat. I guess each of us have to find our motivation. I know my weight loss will slow down as I reduce my weight. So far, I've lost 24 pounds in 35 days, but at least 6 pounds of that was probably water weight at the very beginning, as I cut out sweets and refined carbs. However, with each bike ride, I get stronger and want to ride longer and faster, which should help.

Wonderful job!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    @Oberon21 ... If I could impart anything to you at this time is to not give up trying.

I'm 71 and if I had kept at it when I was 48, maybe I wouldn't still be trying now. However, I always found a reason not to, including the serious back issues, the demands on my time from outside sources (like my job, family, church, clubs) ...

But you have a very real and valid point ... something has to click in our heads or hearts or somewhere ... and I think it is habits. We let the habit of inactivity and not-the-right-time/no-time take over our lives. So the thing we need to learn is how to modify that behavior we don't like with one we like better. Then, there is that 'brain thing' that allows our brains to plan for the future with great anticipation and motivation, but when the immediate comes into play, our brains want 'same old - same old' because the immediate brain just wants satisfaction. And, for me at least, hurting and sweating while I exercise is not an immediate form of satisfaction.

That's why I join challenges on here ... in the ever fervent hopes that having to own up to strangers online will get me up off my butt a bit more than I otherwise would do it.

That's another reason, also, why I don't rely on exercise to help me lose weight. I hope that whatever exercise I manage to do will help strengthen my heart or my body parts that keep me able to walk and rise from a chair or bed and dress or feed or toilet myself. Cause I know if I don't keep those things moving I'll end up in a nursing home wheelchair in my twilight instead of in my own home.

For losing weight, I rely on the old standby of eat less than you use.

Good luck. Don't give up. Love yourself while you are learning how to change yourself to a fitter you.

This was extremely thoughtful and dead on. Thank you.
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth: I keep thinking of trying low carb high protein I even plan it out for the most part I do ok but I find myself still grabbing whole wheat bread, or brown rice etc ! So I guess I need to admit to myself I really don't want that! But instead maybe change from eating white flour items but eat brown rice, whole wheat bread etc!

@trinati2001 have fun on your vacation
    @Nikion901 Thank you for the update on Robin! It is good to hear! She was always so encouraging!
    @Skinnyjean you will reach your goals
    @Katrena. Glad you had a good day!

Wishing everyone a good night

Liz
    Of beautiful Idaho

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @liz-- brown rice and whole grain breads are a great compromise to giving up carbs all together. :smile:
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Friday Fitness: I am going to get my butt into the gym today. Period.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth: I had my company picnic yesterday and while I stayed within my calorie goal, I ate two hotdogs….can feel the water retention in my legs!!

Friday Fitness:
    Friday – on my feet to do a cake
    Saturday – Going to the zoo / amusement park / mini golf with my family
    Sunday – choir tour
    Monday – Water aerobics
    Tuesday – Walk
    Wednesday – rest day
    Thursday – walk

@ suznhenz – I’ll have to look for an Envy apple…I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it.
    @Karen…I’m sure you can get back to the time you want for running…I think summer is hard to focus, I’m much better with a routine to my day. Good job on getting something checked off your home “to do” list – the right storage can make all the difference.
    @Nikion…thanks for the update on Robin.
    @Kelley…glad you got your cast off. Olympics are occupying my evenings. Good luck on the job hunt!
    @Mermaid…I’d join you on the vacation!
    @taburbey…The scale is great to have. I noticed that when I use measuring cups, it doesn’t link up to the actual weight at all…sometimes high, sometimes low. I use mine a lot like skinnyjeans does…zero it out, add an ingredient, zero it out again, add another ingredient etc.
    @badnoodle…have you thought of pre logging at least a portion of your workout calories? I generally work out late at night too and I started eating some of the calories earlier in the day so I didn’t run into the eating late. Great job on the 10K

AFM…I’m looking forward to the end of my cake decorating career tonight. I’ve been doing it two years and I have realized that most of my Fridays and Saturdays have been spent making cakes instead of spending time with my family. Jacob is starting his sophomore year and I realized that I truly only have 3 years left before he’s heading out on his own. I can make cakes when the kids are gone…I can’t get that time back with the kids. Tonight is the last cake I have on order. I will probably still do it for my sisters’ families and a couple really good customers, but not for the random order on my Facebook page.

That’s it for me. Not sure if I’ll be on this weekend, if not everybody have a great weekend and we’ll see you next week!

Don’t forget your water!!!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth - I am exhausted and need a long vacation ... on a boat ... with boat drinks!

What are boat drinks? I'm insatiably curious lol

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Friday Fitness … I’ve been following my latest ‘plan’ since the end of June, when I joined a challenge group for a 12 week run. 7 weeks in, my weight is down an even 8 pounds. That sounds pretty good to me, given that the numbers show I have been losing 1 pound a week, averaged out.

However, some articles crossed my path this morning that have me looking at my plan with doubting eyes.

The loss has been very jerky, as it always seems to be in my case. I’m starting to feel stress on weigh-in day instead of excited anticipation. This week, I had a 0.3 pound gain over last week. There are only 5 more weeks to go … I’’m shaky in my belief that I can reach my goal. If I don’t drop 2 pounds this week, I’ll be off-track for it.

This is not a mental state that I am comfortable with, nor one that I feel is conducive to continued success. I need to self-talk or do some other kind of action that will instill some confidence.

On top of that, those fitness articles that crossed my reading screen this morning have added more confusion and uncertainty to my plan. Both of them, from their own perspective, suggest that I make changes in my plan. But I promised myself I would stick with this one for the 12 weeks without making changes in it. Hmm, hmm, hmm … Niki’s in a quandary … I think I’ll turn the music on and dance.

Talk to everyone on Check-In Monday. Have a great and successful weekend.
  • taburbey
    taburbey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success - I have returned to an exercise that I actually look forward to doing. Zumba! I love the music and the people, it just seems like dancing with friends and not exercise. But believe me when I say that calories are killed in this hour of fun.
  • LeavingWalden
    LeavingWalden Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Saturday success: on my way to longest hike ever 11 miles and 2000 feet (and almost 100 degrees!!)

I've lost 120 pounds over past 1.5 years and in my final stretch with 10-15 pounds left. Anyone looking for help or advice, I'd be happy to help. Live in Arlington, VA if anyone lives I DC area.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    An amendment to Niki's post about me - the shot I got was in my spine and it made a HUGE difference in my health. I had been walking like Quasimoto prior to that, cane necessary, for 4+ years. Now I am up-right and going short distances without that cane. BIG BIG CHANGE! MOODS are UP. :)<3 Finances are in the dumpster but who hasn't been there.? Am feeling so good am exploring job opportunities and God is offering me several. And, the weight seems to be slipping away easily now. :p I won't be getting a dog until I can afford it, but there is a dog on Midwest Shiba Inu Rescue dot org called Faith o:)o:) if you want to see who I am interested in. I might have to get a go fund me page if money remains tight as she needs monthy meds for her bladder, but my heart connected to her when I saw her. Oh well . so Love to all again! <3<3<3
  • Oberon21
    Options
    taburbey wrote: »
    Saturday Success - I have returned to an exercise that I actually look forward to doing. Zumba! I love the music and the people, it just seems like dancing with friends and not exercise. But believe me when I say that calories are killed in this hour of fun.

I did Zumba once and loved it, even though I have 2 left feet. I need to try and find a class somewhere.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    Hi Everybody and BIg HUGS to all! <3 After my warm chat with Niki I thought I'd drop by and say hello to everyone old and new. To the newbies, when Skinny Jeans gives you an answer, it is absolutely the correct one, do not second guess her. She is an expert and I take my advice from her at this point. Also, Nina is the chief cook around here and knows her way around weights and measures. Kah will have your back for support - let her encourage you.
    This is also a "giving" column, <3 so don't be selfish and just take, listen to others and offer words of support so you can get support back. Be Kind. I come from Omaha and that is Omaha's motto. You all seem so kind and generous, I don't need to say this. BIG LOVE TO YOU ALL!

Also, we used to have monthly challenges and Nina has tried to organize some here. These Monthly Challenges were not that tough and they served 2 purposes - One - to give you goals on exercise and to keep the monotony away as you lose your weight and Two - to keep this community together as you lose your large amount of weight. You don't want to be abandoned just as you approach a critical event such as a dressy night out, do you?

So I'm challenging everyone to step up for September's Challenge - I Challenge you to Dance to 5 songs a Day Every Day in September.

I have read for some many, many pages and I know your stories, folks, old and new. I want you newbies to be here with big losses in 3 months from now. OK??? I'm not putting it on you to keep this thread alive - that's not your purpose for being here. Your purpose here is to receive support and give support the best way you can. Just as you're doing so wonderfully. Keep up the good job. I am so impressed with each one of you. I wish I could shake your hands, and hug you..

I just started hanging out here and reading from page 1 to get to know you all. I will afraid from the recent posts you were gone. So I'm glad to see that isn't true!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Saturday Success: I ran my 5k at a good pace despite the ridiculous humidity. Happy Saturday all!
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

So sorry I missed yesterday posting! After fixing dinner last night I sat down in my comfy chair and basically passed out fast asleep till 1:15AM ! So I missed posting!

I have been really tired lately I know my diabetes numbers are crazy at this time! I have been working out but just very sluggish!

Today has been very productive! Housework caught up. Caught up on a few errands, saw a group of teens raising money for band by hosting a car wash so got our car cleaned!

In a few going to start prepping food for lunches and dinners ! Trying to get a head start on next week!

It was good to hear from Robin/ Ellen!

Wishing Everyone a good Saturday!

Liz from Idaho
  • alexanderislove
    alexanderislove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to this thread. I have a bit over 100lbs to lose, and I just don't know where to start. I've lost weight before, but gained it all back and more. I just had my first baby (boy) via c-section a little over one month ago. I have ok for exercise. I know the reasons why I want to lose weight such as: 1) I want to be healthy for my little family: I don't want to be out of breath/feeling like I'm dying when I play with my son. 2) My fiancee and I want to get married in the near future and I'd love to lose some weight for the wedding.

I am looking for any support anyone is willing to offer. Thank you in advance!