Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No fruit after dinner

124»

Replies

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    OP, please throw this theory out the window. It's garbage.

I frequently enjoy things like ice cream, or cake, or fruit. I actually had one of my favorite fruit salads after dinner last night. I strongly suspect I will still continue to lose weight.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    OP, please throw this theory out the window. It's garbage.

I frequently enjoy things like ice cream, or cake, or fruit. I actually had one of my favorite fruit salads after dinner last night. I strongly suspect I will still continue to lose weight.

I just had banana ice cream!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Wait, wait, WAIT! I just realized that if I can't have fruit after dinner, that means I have to have my ice cream and wine for breakfast! I'm liking this rule, yes.

Endorsed!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Wait, wait, WAIT! I just realized that if I can't have fruit after dinner, that means I have to have my ice cream and wine for breakfast! I'm liking this rule, yes.

Endorsed!

Your ice cream has fruit in it? What kind of blasphemy is this?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I had raspberry sorbet with bits of dark chocolate last night. Oddly, I don't appear to have gained lots of weight. Mind blown.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In my perception, the main difference between our views is that that I don't think telling people they can figure it out is sufficient, against a tide of social forces saying or implying otherwise. But we are not helpless victims . . . unless we act like helpless victims. It's a choice.

I think I've come around to the view lately that saying it's not their fault and indulging them (playing along with the fake helplessness and doing things for them) only enables the behavior -- I think they won't be empowered until they realize they have to figure stuff out for themselves. Most people faced with no option are able to -- playing helpless is a way to manipulate others, in part, or get attention or play victim. And I DON'T think social forces are saying we are helpless -- that's where we disagree.

Agree it's a choice.
  • nutmegoreo

Endorsed!

Your ice cream has fruit in it? What kind of blasphemy is this?

It was cherry! With real chunks in it. Yum. Although, my favorite is sea salt caramel. I just didn't have any last night. And now today, I have none. I have sorbet though... and wine!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

Endorsed!

And this is why we're friends.
  • nutmegoreo

Endorsed!

And this is why we're friends.

:kissing_heart:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I've never heard that one before. And I'm skeptical that food eaten sits on top of other food before it. Is this supposed to be a weight loss thing or a health thing?
  • onewayoranother23
    onewayoranother23 Posts: 32 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I keep hearing you should only eat fruit on an empty stomach because it digests faster so shouldnt be sitting above your main meal.

Thoughts?

Me personally, i just had an apple after a 600 cal dinner! I have to have something sweet after a main meal and would rather get it from fruit.

i dont even know what the bolded means..

as long as you hit your calorie target for the day you will be fine.

What they mean is if you eat say the apple before the meal, your body would digest more of the vitamins from the apple then it would the meal? That's what I got from this anyways. Idk
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    No fruit with dinner? Sorry, but my stepfamily (Asian) would have to disagree. Pineapple, rice, veggies, and fish stir-fried and topped with homemade orange sauce = win.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    sounds like cods-whallop to me!
  • bshrom
    bshrom Posts: 71 Member
    I don't really buy it either. They say that because certain types of fruits digest very quickly (like melons) so if eaten with other foods can cause digestive upsets. So say you ate a hamburger and then ate some watermelon the beef is going to take longer to digest than the watermelon, causing digestive upset. I personally eat fruit anytime of the day, even after I've eaten cooked foods and I have never experienced digestive upset from this.