Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Seriously how far does this go with exposed skin? Tank tops OK? Sleeveless t-shirts? Shorts?

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach.

But your wearing one in your profile pic?
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.

So because you are running around in baggy clothes judging other people, you are better than the guy running shirtless minding his own business?

Where did say I was better? Some people love getting attention, other aren't fussed about it or want/need it, i just happen to fall in the latter category.

Lol, I am getting attention with or without sports bra. Nothing wrong with that.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I have a question on this thread:

When it is hot (over 90*) and humid (dew point over 70*) is it better, from a cooling perspective, to wear a technical fabric shirt or to go as shirtless as local convention allows. I always thought that the new fabric shirts were better at keeping you cool in hot humid conditions. From a cooling, it's too dam* hot to run perspective, is this wrong?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Seriously how far does this go with exposed skin? Tank tops OK? Sleeveless t-shirts? Shorts?

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach.

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach
    But your wearing one in your profile pic?

Looks like he is at the gym ;-)
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I don't care what other people choose to wear, although I think it's always more dignified for a man to wear a shirt in public, unless you're at the pool or the beach, no matter how good you look. Little boys can go shirtless. I started keeping my shirt on when I was about 7. I'd give boys at least until age 10.
    Precisely the point. There is no debate about it. They sell all kinds of cotton shirts to combat hot weather.

There is debate about it, though. I don't feel the same as you. Someone asked up thread, would it be undignified for men to be shirtless on a beach or swimming?

Beach or swimming is not equivalent. I wear a bikini to go swimming or lay on the beach. I would not run or walk around my neighborhood in a bikini. Personally I don't think an adult of any age running around the streets half naked is appropriate.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Good luck running topless in Scotland. if someone is comfortable, no matter their size, to go topless, shirtless etc who am i to judge, if the social situation is appropriate. i am overweight, i don't always dress appropriately but i wear what i like. for me someone running shirtless is no biggy, who know's their reasons for doing it.

i'm not body-confident enough to just run in my sports bra, i don't want to scare the little ones away lol. i dont think i would anyway, like is posted above, it's still a bra and is underwear.
  • gillie80
    Options
    Things I learned in this thread

1. MFP gives away kittens
    2. Scotland actually has sunny days

Seriously though, I'm sure other people have said it run shirtless if you want, don't make other people's issues your issues.

unfortunately you've missed this years sunny days. they were in june lol.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    a sports bra isn't shirtless- shirtless is shirtless. If you think that a sports bra is just the same as shirtless, please go buy one and wear it while running in the hot, humid weather.
    Personally I don't care- a chest isn't offensive, male or female.
  • gillie80
    edited August 2016
    Options
    actually thinking on it i might just run in my sports bra if it was hot enough, since i wear 2 cos i'm in the 'big boobs' department and like to feel secure. was too busy eating lunch while posting last comment. that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hm, my only thought on this thread is that I didn't see any topless guys when I was in Scotland on vacation.

I still managed to enjoy Scotland...
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Shirts are for other people. It's a 105 outside, no shirt for me. My goal in life is to only put a shirt on if I want to to. Not cause I have to.

you can be like my Uncle Andy- literally the only time I've seen him wear a shirt is when we go out to dinner, and at funerals!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    There are a parade of shirtless guys on our street every day, nobody seems to have gotten the memo about covering up. Nobody has been scarred by this, that's silly. We do kind of make light of the guy with the boxer shorts on and big belly and three tiny dogs pulling him around because he looks comical, but only when he is well past us and can't hear us. And I'll note that the one day he was walking with his wife, he DID put a shirt on, LOL.

There is only one guy I have ever been honestly happy about seeing running shirtless - Running Guy from my old job. This was a man who was usually coming in at the end of his run when I arrived at the building and he was just astonishingly well built, like a statue carved from ebony, no visible body fat, really looked like a photoshopped model in a perfume ad. I was really happy he ran with just the shorts because it was like seeing an exotic bird or beautiful sunset, it added beauty to my day.

I'm not convinced it's cooler (at concerts and such I am much cooler in a big white shirt than in a tank top, shade really works) but 99.99999% of the time I am completely indifferent to what passing runners are wearing and that miniscule % of the tme, still think it's not my business even if I do have an opinion on the appropriateness of what you are wearing.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It's none of my business what people wear exercising or doing lawn work regardless of how old they are or how much they weigh. They should wear whatever motivates them to keep fit, AND protects them from sun burn. As for that guy who always gets on the train dripping with sweat, bring a towel.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So what prompted the first post -- has OP revealed it? I've never heard anyone complaining about shirtless runners. There's a 70+ guy I see running shirtless all the time, I just think good for him for being out running. Whatever makes you more comfortable.

I'd also roll my eyes at some guy complaining that people judge him for running topless when it's actually illegal for me to do it (in a sports bra isn't topless), except I wouldn't want to for obvious comfort reasons anyway.