August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @theresawindsor7374 My first half is on 9 October. I know I could run one right now but I want to train to do it in under 1:40:00. I don't like to go into things just to finish them. Also I'm having a bad time trying to not let my long run hit a half marathon. I guess I'll do one at like 13.0 miles :)). Can't wait. Not sure I'll advance to marathon anytime soon though. Maybe next winter.

I finally did it. Broke 20 min 5k today. Decided to do a time trial because the last week 1000 m repeats felt too easy. I got 19:57. Woooohoooo. Now I need to adjust my training paces.

If you can run a 5K in under 20 minutes, and you can run the half marathon distance, you shouldn't have any trouble breaking 1:40 in the half. I think I ran 4 halfs under 1:40 before I ever ran a 5K under 20 minutes. For quite a while, I was convinced that a 1:40 half was slow for me and that I didn't have a sub-20 5K in me.

Charts tell me I could ran one in around 1:32 but I always like to underestimate myself when it comes to races. Because that's how I get to run negative splits since I find out in the race I can run faster once I get halfway. For now I still need to do some steady long runs to get some confidence for the distance

I think a lot of it has to do too with which end of the "running spectrum" you fall into - built for speed or distance. When I ran my half marathon PR last November, I started out with the 1:45 pace group because my estimated HM finish time from charts was around 1:42 (based on my 5K PR from three weeks before the race). I quickly realized that was too fast for me though and ended up finishing in 1:48 instead. I think if I had started at a more conservative pace, I could have shaved at least a minute or two off my time. I definitely perform better in shorter distances (I ran the 400 and 800 in college); I'm aware of this now and try to keep that in mind when setting goal paces for longer races. That being said, I do agree with @MobyCarp that under 1:40 should be very very doable for you, even for your first half marathon. I think your plan to start off on the slow side of race estimates is a smart one; don't make the mistake I did of starting off too fast based on the chart times and then dying out near the end!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Today was hill day. Usually I walk them, but I was feeling adventurous so I decided to run the big hills. I didn't do too badly. Think I might stick with that.

Oh, and I DID IT! I got up early and did my walk/run in the morning! Yay me! Finally!

Whoohoo!!! :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @karllundy Glad the er trip was unnecessary. Those are the best kind.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/3 - rest day
    8/4 - 6 miles
    8/5 - 6 miles
    8/6 - rest day - went to a race with Skip
    8/7 - 10 miles
    8/8 - unscheduled rest day
    8/9 - 6 miles
    8/10 - 6 miles
    8/11 - 6 miles in and out of the misty rain - so nice!
    8/12 - 3 miles
    8/13 - rest day
    8/14 - 10 miles
    8/15 - rest day Skip had an early dentist appt
    8/16 - 6 miles

71 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    edited August 2016
    @karllundy just saw your note on the ER, like @elise4270 said those unnecessary are the best kind, glad all is okay.
    @stoshew71 love the Rocky video!
    @5512bf talking about the 10K we also need to remember, he fell and still one, good night amazing
    @orphia yeah for new shoes
    @ddmom0811 I'm amazed at the miles you get along with your cycling - awesome
    @kristinegift glad the massage helped the calf and it is feeling better. I'm sure your IT folks would love a picture of the ice pack on top of the computer tower. :cry: ha ha Skip is rehabing a pulled hammie maybe a need to find her a good masseuse. She is icing and wear a compression sleeve too.
    @respectthekitty yeah for hills and morning running - you go!!
    @ariceroni hope the leg gets better soon and you get good news

I love runners. :heart:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/USA-Abbey-DAgostino-Helps-Rival-Womens-5K-Leg-Injury-Rio-Olympics-390305021.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

• atlantarunner
    atlantarunner Posts: 5 Member
    8/1 circuit training
    8/3 circuit training
    8/5 circuit training
    8/8 circuit training
    8/9 1.4 miles
    8/10 circuit training
    8/12 circuit training + 1.6 miles
    8/14 1.7 miles
    8/15 circuit training
    8/16 2 miles

First day of training for the Atlanta 10-Miler! Until today, I was running a specific amount of time, easing back after my knee injury. I noticed my pace was a little faster today when I was running for distance (short though it was). It may have been slightly cooler this morning too. I added in all the circuit training I've been doing so my month doesn't look quite so pitiful. :smile:

exercise.png
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited August 2016
    16/8/16 run 3.1 km

9/8/16 run 6 km

2/8/16 run 7.1 km

1/8/16 run 6.6 km

Target: 22.8/70 km

Weightlifting: SL 5*5 Set B 60 min

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    @greenolivetree I do as well... :tongue:
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2016
    1--- travel doc appointment
    2---30 minutes pool swim/running!, 1 mile walk
    3--- 0.5 mile walk
    4---30 minutes pool swim/ water jogging
    6---0.7 mile walk
    7---0.7 mile walk
    8---20 minute swim/weights
    9---35 minute swim
    11--- weights
    12--- 40 minute swim, 1 mile walk
    13---2.1 mile poké walk
    14---0.9 mile walk
    16---38 minute swim

Nothing that follows is running related. I'm just bored.
    I was told today at the pool that I'm fast walking in the shallow end. So I'm still faster than the old and disabled... hooray :no_mouth:

Least I'm having dreams that I can't tell which leg/hip bothers me. Before today, all the running dreams were that I couldn't walk or run. The leg wouldn't move and I had to run on all fours.

My cats are obsessed with a rat. It's hiding up in the front bushes. I think it's time to throw some bait in the attic for good measure. It's like a kitty olympic event. Chase, chase, stare at it, make that silly "come here I'm happy to see you" noise, lay around, mama pet me I'm good, run inside and eat quickly, check all the bushes, lay in the dirt and wait to chase it some more. Least they are occupied.

Upcoming races:
    10/02/16 Spirit of Survival Lawton OK Quarter Marathon.
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited August 2016
    Can I just say, I am so ready for the fall? I mean don't get me wrong, I definitely feel stronger from the running I've been doing in the heat/humidity (first time I've ever made a point of training in it) but I am getting heartily sick of it, and am so ready for some brisk, chilly runs! Anywho, in happier news, in this run and Sunday's long run I felt no twinges at all in that ankle tendon that was bothering me last week, so I'm super happy about that! And it looks like I'm pacing to hit my mileage goal for the month!

p.s. - I'm very happy that the day I forgot to pack my sunscreen for my lunchbreak run was a day that was cloudy, lol. Still got some more color, but it could have been much worse!

73rvdx9uvua2.jpg

RCADD 5k for Recovery (maybe???) – 8/27
    South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11
    Adirondacks Distance Festival ½ Marathon – 9/25
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
  • skippygirlsmom
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Nothing that follows is running related. I'm just bored.
    I was told today at the pool that I'm fast walking in the shallow end. So I'm still faster than the old and disabled... hooray :no_mouth:

Least I'm having dreams that I can't tell which leg/hip bothers me. Before today, all the running dreams were that I couldn't walk or run. The leg wouldn't move and I had to run on all fours.

My cats are obsessed with a rat. It's hiding up in the front bushes. I think it's time to throw some bait in the attic for good measure. It's like a kitty olympic event. Chase, chase, stare at it, make that silly "come here I'm happy to see you" noise, lay around, mama pet me I'm good, run inside and eat quickly, check all the bushes, lay in the dirt and wait to chase it some more. Least they are occupied.

ha ha! Too funny! The cats were running related. :wink:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    I could go for some fried chicken. Wait, no... I'm a vegetarian. How about fried tofu?

Aw I can't have soy.... how about French fries!

Fries it is... with lots of cheese sauce!

And mayo...

How very European of you.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    ariceroni wrote: »
    I think a lot of it has to do too with which end of the "running spectrum" you fall into - built for speed or distance.
    I tend to think this way too. Based on my 5k PR, the charts would tell me that I can run a 2-hour half marathon but it was more like a 2.5-hour one that I did in March. But then, I think I probably screwed up somewhere in my training that I ended up in pain. This time around, I think I did a better job in building up weekly mileage, but I still don't think I could get anywhere close to finishing in 2 hours on the coming Sunday.

Here are my runs this month so far:

8/1 Rest
    8/2 .....5
    8/3 .....3.1
    8/4 ...13.7 Longest run before race day
    8/5 .....2.2 Recovery Run
    8/6 .....3.1 Tempo Run, sort of
    8/7 .......... Hiked 5+ miles
    8/8 .......... Skipped the run. Felt like I should take an official rest day after the hike
    8/9 .....8.1 Thought I should make up the miles for Monday
    8/10......... Couldn't get up early enough before life happens. Skipped again :(
    8/11..10... Planned long run. Everything from the waist down started to hurt (like, tired kind of hurt) beginning around the middle of the run but all went away later in the day... Until at night, I felt pain on right knee whenever I tried to bend it. It reminded me how my right leg also hurt before my last HM, except a different location. Looking back, probably because I skipped the shorter runs...
    8/12......... Skipped again just because not sure if I should run through the subtle pain of the knee.
    8/13 ...2.4 Pain went away. Still mostly walking, my 7-year-old was unmotivated...
    8/14 Rest
    8/15 ...6.2

Total according to Strava: 54.2

5 days until AFC Half, feeling nervous...

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2016
    karllundy wrote: »
    I could go for some fried chicken. Wait, no... I'm a vegetarian. How about fried tofu?

Aw I can't have soy.... how about French fries!

Fries it is... with lots of cheese sauce!

And mayo...

How very European of you.

I dated a boy from Germany in HS. Once ya go mayo...
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Thanks everyone for the support!

Running Goal: 13 of I QUIT :-p
    Non-running goals: Take my strength training more seriously this month/Lose 5lbs (dang it!)[/i]

Super foggy this morning. My hair was all wet from it. Does being in fog make anyone else claustrophobic? LOL

You and I are in the exact same boat. I'm trying to lose 5 pounds while also cross-training to help with my injury. I started You Are Your Own Gym and so far I love it. I'm super sore today and feel like I'm getting a great workout. I hope you start to feel better soon - I know how frustrating it is!