August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Woke up with a nasty sinus headache this morning. The thought of pounding pavement is horrible right now. This may be a rest day or maybe I can do a few rounds of 15 minutes just to get something in. I guess we will wait and see how well the Claritin works.

Happy Friday Eve, everyone!

exercise.png

Hope you feel better soon!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    8/1 - 2.23 - HS XC Practice
    8/2 - 6.0 - Easy
    8/2 - 4.15 - Easy
    8/3 - 15.03 - Easy
    8/4 - 6.0 - Recovery
    8/5 - 11.06 Easy + 3.47 @ MP XC Practice
    8/6 - 7.0 Easy W/ 10 x 160M Strides
    8/7 - 10.22 MP
    8/8 - 4.38 Recovery
    9/9 - 9.53 Easy
    9/10 - 11.05 VO2Max workout with 6x600 w/ 400 recovery @ 5k pace.
    9/11 - 6.02 Recovery

Total 96.15 of 285 miles

77 degrees w/ 90% humidity = sucktastic running weather. I glad there was only 6 miles of easy recovery pace running on the schedule, cause i most likely would have aborted anything extra. Not to count my chickens before they hatch, or to rub it in much, but the morning temps are suppose be in the lower 60's this weekend extending into the early part of next week as well.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @HonuNui - when I first saw the picture I thought you were holding an odd piece of pepperoni pizza. I am amazed that it is a crab shell - I have never seen anything like it before!
    @kristinegift - glad you cut your run short and took care of yourself.

It is supposed to be really hot with advisories on both coasts heading into the weekend so all of us in those areas (anywhere it is hot really!) need to be careful and make sure we are hydrating!

@Stoshew71 - that meme is awesome. It is not unusual to glance at the other swimmers when you are racing to see where they are in relation to you but that look was the longest, creepiest look I have ever seen!

I am off to get a run in on one of the last cooler mornings we will have for a while.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.
    8/2- REST <- Recovering from the INSANE daily double
    8/3-4.1
    8/4- 7.82
    8/5- 4
    8/6- 13.11
    8/7- REST
    8/8- REST <- beginning of cutback week
    8/9: 5.01
    8/10-5.13
    8/11- 7.02

total/monthly goal: 59.26/125

Today's notes: tempo run today.
    15 minute warm up
    35 minutes at 8:20 pace
    15 minute cooldown

Maybe pushed it too hard today. Got a bunch of PRs today including 5k and 10k. Felt good, knee felt good running.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    5512bf wrote: »
    77 degrees w/ 90% humidity = sucktastic running weather. I glad there was only 6 miles of easy recovery pace running on the schedule, cause i most likely would have aborted anything extra. Not to count my chickens before they hatch, or to rub it in much, but the morning temps are suppose be in the lower 60's this weekend extending into the early part of next week as well.

I'm with you on the sucktastic running weather! And I'm jealous about your weekend forecast, like really jealous. Our heat advisory isn't lifting for quite a while yet. :tired_face:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2016
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/3 - rest day
    8/4 - 6 miles
    8/5 - 6 miles
    8/6 - rest day - went to a race with Skip
    8/7 - 10 miles
    8/8 - unscheduled rest day
    8/9 - 6 miles
    8/10 - 6 miles
    8/11 - 6 miles in and out of the misty rain - so nice!

52 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

@kristinegift first great run last night - second good idea to cut this morning short. I think sometimes just when you think you are used to the weather it hits you again, also if you ran last night in that heat and then again this morning it might have been just not enough time for your body to recover - glad you are feeling better
    @ddmom0811 how was the first day of school?
    @stoshew71 lol love the meme. We made posters for 2 of our State gold medal winners in track and field and in both you can see the 2nd place person looking right at them. It's the funniest thing.
    @hockeymom95 and @temaza welcome
    @mobycarp - honestly what kind of excuse is having 100 mile trail run. Geesh :wink:
    @shanaber I can totally relate to the grumpy! Hope you had a good run today
    @honunui I was thinking like @shanaber but I thought it was a calzone LOL I always have food on the mind. That is very cool.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I'm not very fast but I'm feeling stronger and like I can go a longer distance everyday. Monitoring my HR for improvements which I think means I should be able to go faster soon.............right?

08/04 – 1 mile
    08/05 – 1 mile
    08/06 – 3 miles
    08/09 – 1.3 miles – HR 135-140 HR running flat surface………154 running hills
    08/10 – 80 min Strength Training + 20 min Xtraining – Stairmaster and Stationary Bike (140 HR)
    08/11 – 3.05 miles – AVG HR 143, lower on flat (lowest 127) higher on hills (highest 153)

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited August 2016
    8/1 - 40 mins total body strength + pilates, 20 min light cardio, stretching
    8/2 - 3 mi walk - .75 mi of which was running intervals to test out my leg
    8/3 - 3.1 mi walk - again I ran about .75 mi in short intervals, also a few tiny hill repeats
    8/4 - 20 min light cardio, 55 min strength&pilates
    8/5 - 3 mi walk
    8/6 - back to school shopping wore me out!
    8/7 - just totally being a lazy bum here....no excuse :(
    8/8 - 20 min light cardio....45 min mix of strength and pilates with a little cardio
    8/9 - .5 mile warm up walk...3 mile RUN :smiley::smiley::smiley:
    8/10 - 3 mile walk, 20 minutes pilates/body weight exercises
    8/11 - .5 mi walk/3 mi run/.5 mi walk

Running Goal: 6 of 60 miles (adjusted down further due to leg pain)
    Non-running goals: Take my strength training more seriously this month/Lose 5lbs (dang it!)

Woohoo! I'm up to 6 miles this month! LOL Leg felt good for run #2. I forgot my water and didn't realize it until about halfway through. I was dying for water the last mile. I wonder if I'll stay dependent on water once the weather cools off? I don't think so?

I only took one quick walk break today in the first mile to text my hubby back and let my burning legs chill out. Happy with that and my splits of 10:55/9:46/9:12. I don't know how in the world I used to bust out running fast the first mile. I definitely need my warmup mile these days.

We're under a heat advisory today like others of you, but then looks like a cool front will drop overnight temps into upper 60s for a few days. But maybe rainy.

@luluinca You may think you're not fast but I'm totally jealous of anyone with a heart rate that low while running.

@skippygirlsmom You're racking up the miles :)

@MNLittleFinn Burnin' rubber again :-p

@lporter229 Feel free to complain about the heat all you want. It's completely justified! Thanks for the kind words about my hubby. He did Remicade awhile and then developed some bizarre reactions to that and other similar drugs like Humira, etc. Ugh.

@sunkisd1105 Hope you feel better :)

@temaza Welcome to the group! Happy running!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    1 Aout - 0
    2 Aout - 2
    3 Aout - 2
    4 Aout - 2
    5 Aout - break
    6 Aout - 1.5
    7 Aout - 1.5
    8 Aout - 1, and 34 minnute FitnessBlender video
    9 Aout - 2
    10 Aout - 2

= 14 miles (Target: 32)

I'm trying. Two miles is so hard for me you guys are all so advanced!

exercise.png

Love my little ticker thing...

Tu fais bien!!! :smiley:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    When I attempted to wake up early this morning, I decided today is a rest day and went back to bed. I actually do need a rest day. My body is very stiff. Maybe one day I'll be able to get up early. Until then I'll keep trying.

Of course, rest day = EAT ALL TEH THINGZ
  • luluinca
    edited August 2016
    @luluinca You may think you're not fast but I'm totally jealous of anyone with a heart rate that low while running.

@greenolivetree, really? I have nothing to compare it to and since I'm 66 it looks like my MHR is only around 166. Not sure how accurate this is and my doc thinks I can go higher because of all my years of swimming but I'm playing it by ear right now. I just started running for the first time this year because a shoulder injury kept me out of the pool. I'm trying not to rush my progress too fast.

I used this formula:

Max HR = 217-(0.85 /x age) = 217-56=161 + 5 for fitness Max HR=166
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2016
    @luluinca

I think all those formulas are designed to give someone an approximation of their max HR. Someone who has trained cardio for a while will typically be able to get their HR higher than the formulas, sometimes by a bunch, and do it safely.

Using that formula 217-(.85*43) + 5 my max HR should be 185. While that is a closer than the 220-age version, it's still off by roughly 15 BPM. I hit 195 & 196 a couple times yesterday doing VO2Max intervals, and have seen 201 as recent as 6 months ago in a 1 mile time trial.

And here is a extended forecast. Glorious morning running weather in the future.
    ljs6jyq4qa04.png
  • luluinca
    edited August 2016
    5512bf wrote: »
    @luluinca

I think all those formulas are designed to give someone an approximation of their max HR. Someone who has trained cardio for a while will typically be able to get their HR higher than the formulas, sometimes by a bunch, and do it safely.

Using that formula 217-(.85*43) + 5 my max HR should be 185. While that is a closer than the 220-age version, it's still off by roughly 15 BPM. I hit 195 & 196 a couple times yesterday doing VO2Max intervals, and have seen 201 as recent as 6 months ago in a 1 mile time trial.

Thanks, I suspect mine can and will be higher as well. I know I've hit 170's and 180's for short bursts of HIIT pretty easily with no ill effects. I've never really sustained it there. I had a very thorough physical recently and everything, including heart, looks great so I'm not too worried about any of it. Just taking it a little slow since running is new to me. I had no idea I would love it so much and look forward to it when I wake up in the morning.

It's weird, for the first mile I keep wondering what the hell I'm doing this for and then magically, I wonder why it took me so long to begin running. A little late in life, but I did the same thing with weight lifting.....LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2016
    @virkati congrats on the new doggie - cracked up at the jerkface comment!
    @5512bf nice morning temps!
    @respectthekitty you will eventually get up early to run and actually run :wink:
    @mavieentiere everyone here started 1 step at a time, don't worry how advanced or not you are. You are doing great!
    @greentreeolive thanks!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    When I attempted to wake up early this morning, I decided today is a rest day and went back to bed. I actually do need a rest day. My body is very stiff. Maybe one day I'll be able to get up early. Until then I'll keep trying.

Of course, rest day = EAT ALL TEH THINGZ

Why oh why does this have to happen EVERY TIME??? lol
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @luluinca My heart rate is 127 just walking. LOL Average about 165 over the course of a run but if I speed up or do hills it's 185. But maybe my HR is just able to go that high :-p Resting HR is about 55 so I just don't worry about it.