WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Di - the snail is going to be red on a white background with black spots, then a section that will be red, then a section that will be white, then back to the beginning until I do his entire shell. the body will be a light blue (I'm not sure which blue yet) on the top and a darker blue on the bottom. There are these tentacles that stick up, not sure yet if I should paint the tentacles all blue or just blue with white tips. Will have to look on the net to see what others do. Or maybe it should be darker blue on top and lighter blue on bottom? I don't know

janetr - keeping Lisa in my thoughts. How horrible for her losing so much!

katla - that seaturtle is my handiwork. Vince only did the angelfish. Right now he's working on these mushroom houses.

Sue in WA - I didn't know that fleas could give cats tapeworms, either! thanks for letting me know

darvit - welcome!

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    W
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lillian – Didn’t you know that when you ‘retire’ … everybody can find ‘so many things for you to do with YOUR time’? I picked up my DGDs for several years (until I had a wreck with them in the car with me) … the ‘middle one’ won’t get in the car with me ‘driving’ (when I can drive) because of it. She’s now 15 (since last December) and she just got her ‘learner’s license’ and has no desire to ‘drive’. Maybe that will change before she turns 16. If not, then DOS and DDnL#1 won’t have to worry about how they can buy a car for her to go to school and take the YDGD to school. That’s not setting well with DOS, especially. I’d take her phone away from her until she ‘got some driving time in’. I can ‘ride’ with her; but, can’t drive until mid-December at the earliest.

Katla – I was only 6-months old when both my sisters had either ‘chicken pox’ or the ‘big red measles’ and I was given Gamma Goblin so that if I got them (can’t remember which) I would not have a bad case of them. Mother used to tell me that ‘at least she would not have to hear “I itch”. So I am thinking it was chicken pox. Both my sons had light cases of chicken pox and awful cases of ‘shingles’. My DOS still complains occasionally about pain around his waist.

Cracker goes to the groomer next Thursday for a clip and bath (before we go to Louisiana). They have a letter stating that she can be ‘washed and clipped’ from all the injuries she has sustain over the length of time we’ve had her. She still favors that left paw. It doesn’t hurt her (or at least she doesn’t ‘yelp’ if we push on it. I want them to cut her broken coat off down to the soft undercoat, like they did the first time I had her clipped. The last time, they showed me a chart; and, I did not get her clipped as much as I did the first time. I hope that they still keep a record of how much they did cut off the first time. It grew out a lot quicker this last time. The first time she was so ‘soft’; but, they got far enough down that she did not have any of the ‘broken coat’. That’s what I want them to do this time. We’ll have to discuss nail filing. Don’t feel bad, Cracker and I don’t do well together when I try to bathe her at home. I put a leash around a post and then clip her to it; she wraps herself around it. They always say that she is a ‘sweet dog’ when I pick her up. They much have deep sinks to wash them in and some way to prevent them from jumping out. I am usually as wet as she is; and, then I am the one smelling ‘doggy’. But, she loves being dried with the hair blower. It’s worth every penny for her to go to the groomer every 3 months. My money, my dog! But, she is so spoiled by both of us.

Melaniemeto – Sorry for your loss(es). The pictures on the news have been awful. My DYS’s former bosses live down there. DYS says that the flooding has been south of them (they’re in Vidalia). The do watch the “River” and if it gets up to a certain level; they will evacuate. DDnL#2 has only been flooded once since she bought her house there. She’s about 4 or 5 blocks away from river and there are 2 levees between her and it. She said, they took out what they could; and, set everything else up on concrete blocks and only had damage to the walls. Had to pull the sheetrock off and let it all dry out and treat it for mold. DYS doesn’t have nearly the problem out at the ‘lake house’; but, the trees out there do have a ‘mark’ where you can tell that water has risen at some point in time.

We had a 500-year flood here in SW GA nearly 20 years ago; we were stuck in Miami. Could not come home because we could not cross the river here. My boss would go check on our house and I would call him every day. He got to ride in a helicopter and said that gave him a clear understanding of what really was going on. When we came home, we rode over a bridge at a lake near us; and the water was all the way up to the bottom of the road/bridge; a week later, we drove back over it, going to Macon … the lake was complete dry. He and DSs said that would have been a great time to go out and ‘mark’ good fishing holes. It flood the town and those south of us because a dirt damn was breached. They were pulling people out of trees in the middle of the night. It was awful for those affected by it. My prayers go up for you and your family. It’s the people that are ‘safe’ … things can (most of the time) be replaced. I saw a man crying because it apparently sort of ‘snuck’ up on some people. Had been evacuated; but, never ‘thought’ it would happen to them. DYS goes to the plantation he used to work at when the levees are breeched to help move things up to the 2nd floors of each building. They can get in a boat and get around most of it. Says about the only good thing about it flooding is that it makes for some really good hunting (and fishing) after the water goes down.

Joyce – Please know that you will be in the hearts and thoughts of all the ladies here. {{{{{hugs}}}}}.

Di – Make sure you ‘bookmark’ this site; by clicking on the outline of the star up in the upper right-hand corner, it will turn ‘yellow’; then each time you can click on the gray star between the bell and gear and a drop-down screen will show up and you can click on this site (Women 50+…). At the end of the month, Barbiecat will post a link to take you to the next month. Come often, post often, and tell us a little about yourself. Feel free to chat, vent, rant, or rave; just no ‘politics’ or ‘religion’ … we are all from different place around the world.

Becca – Great advice!!!!!

DJ – My MD gave me an EKG the last time I had my weigh-in because my BP’s bottom number was 70. By the time I got seen by him, it had gone up to 80. I had felt really dizzy for several days. He gave me something to take for when I feel dizzy. A few nights ago, I opened the fridge; and got dizzy and then slid down the front of it and ‘rested’. That was a ‘little scary’. But, it seems to be doing fine now.

Michele in NC – DOS usually puts some water in it, late on Sundays; about 4” and it stays relatively nice. I did get in it several weekends ago and it felt like bathwater. Did not even exercise that day. Went home and cooled off in my chair. DH talked to MD; and, they discussed the blood in the urine. He still wants him to wear the bag as long as he can. He is ‘supposed’ to get it out next Friday; right before we leave to go see DYS. I don’t think he is hurting quite as bad … still hurts; but, not saying much about it. Before, he was just in pain enough that he welcomed taking the pain meds. He is NOT thrilled about taking medications.

When I exercise in the pool … I will put on a ‘tight-fitting’ inner tube on, that way, ‘if’ I were to have a seizure … it will keep me ‘up’. Takes a lot of wiggling to get in and/or out of it. DH has worried about me getting ‘in the pool’ alone. Now he isn’t as worried. But, when the dizzy spells started, he told me to ‘get out’ if I felt that way. To me, exercising in the pool is very relaxing. I had this ‘step machine’ and tried it today … for one song on a “Prince” CD; it about killed me. LOL! Using muscles that I had not known I even had! Had to put it next to a chair so I would not lose my balance.

When my Mother died on 15th of December of that year; we had already done the pre-planning of her funeral. Oldest sister had surgery planned for the following Monday and has asked the funeral director, at what point would we need to get to in order to have a Sunday afternoon funeral; he told her by 1:00PM on Saturday … she passed away about 1:30PM; so we ended up having to delay the service for a few days. Sister had tubes running out of 4 places on her body; and, BnL would step in front of her each time it looked like someone wanted to ‘hug’ her. I don’t know how she did it; but, she held out standing for nearly an hour. I still cannot listen to “Silent Night” without bursting into tears.

Ooooo, your turtle is so ‘cute’!

Janetr OKC – So sorry for the losses. We’ve always said it seems to come in 3’s; but, it doesn’t usually come in the same family, that close. My BnL reads the obits online; and called me and asked if I knew the people from town who had died. I didn’t know what or who he was talking about; but, I told him that we have an A.L.F./nursing home in town; and since they were all over 75, they probably lived there. He asked ‘well, are y’all having an epidemic’? Not really, guess they were having a large turnover.

My parents loved their 3 girls. Mother used to say that she wanted 6 boys; but, stopped at 3 girls 'because they were twice as nice'. But, when she'd then say, that she was NOT supposed to get pregnant after my middle sister was born; it sort of gave me a bit of a 'pause'. She wasn't particularly demonstrative; Daddy was until we started into out 'teens'; but, then more so after each of us got married. Mother was just very 'business-like'. She did not put up with any disobedience. We knew when she told us that 'if we did' or 'did not do something' and 'if' we got 'caught' ... this or that would be our punishment ... we KNEW she meant business! Grew up in a small town to parents who were 'professionals'. Everybody in town knew who we were; our cars (because Daddy made sure they stood out). There were not many 'rules' ... we 'knew' what was 'expected' out of us. There were just 'some things' I would never do because I knew I would have 'upset them'; but, regardless, they always stood up for us when someone did something to us that they should not do. We were allowed to pick out our own clothes (given a choice of 3 things to choose from), date anybody we wanted to; but, they 'had' to come to the door to 'pick us up' and 'bring us back to the door and see us inside'. We had to 'check in' ... we had 'curfews'. Back then, the only thing (or way to call home) was a 'telephone booth' ... if you could find one that actually 'worked'. I dated a guy who would come inside with me after a date to let my Mother know that I 'was'; IF we were late ... he would tell her why ... movie ran long, ... never that we ran out of gas. LOL! I'd still be 'restricted'; but, he could come over and sit with me in the LR. He was the oldest of about 7 kids; and, on some Sundays his mother would make us a picnic lunch to take down to the pond; and, she made sure that the younger ones did not follow us. My mother used to tell us, 'be careful who you date; you never know who you will fall in love with; and, you WILL be marrying the entire family'. My paternal grandmother wasn't particularly 'happy' with my Daddy when he 'brought home a "city girl" ... she probably had some good old country gal; picked out for her 'oldest son',

Lenora

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    x
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    B)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not tolerating going off of this beta blocker very well at all. My last dose was yesterday at lunch and it was already a half dose. So my heart rate is still the same, 46 but it is just pounding away so hard in my chest, very uncomfortable. Anything makes me winded. We went out tonight and bought one of those lounge pillows to put up against my headboard so hopefully I can sleep sitting up. I normally prop myself up on two pillows as soon as I get int o bed until I get my breathing settled down. Well not normally, just sense all of this started. Then after my breathing is settled down, I lay flat and go to sleep. I feel a call to the office will be done tomorrow. They will be calling me anyway to let me know the time this cath will be done. I think it was some one who asked if a cardiac cath was the same thing as an angiogram and yes it is. It is jsut an angiogram of the arteries of the heart vs arteries to the brain, kidneys, etc.

Joyce, pumping hard in Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    so sorry melanie,hugs
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the hugs. They mean a lot. I'm still feeling my sense of peace so am thankful for that. I too am sending out love and light to those struggling with physical and or emotional pain as well as other losses.

I stayed pretty much on track today- I did eat half of a tortilla while making dinner for the rest of the family despite planning not having any wheat carbs. Normally I don't do separate meals but today I was trying to use up leftovers. I made an omelet for myself with tons of veggies and quesadillas for the guys. Silly guys- my husband and my daughter's boyfriend- I went out to a community walk in support of a woman who was attacked in our park last week and fought him off. Got home at almost 8 and they hadn't eaten. This morning I went to spin class at 7 and then worked out with a trainer at 8. So far I'm not sore. We'll see how I do tomorrow. My trainer is a darling young gal who is the same age as my daughter (23). When I was in the program and working out with her 3 days a week, she'd ask her series of questions- how is sleep, food, stress, steps, etc. So today she's asking, and gets to stress and I start to tell her about how it is better (I haven't seen her in over a month) but I had been going through a really rough time. As I was telling her, I got all teary eyed again. Think I scared the poor thing, trying to convince her that I really am ok. It was really good to have that 1:1 work out again. I have a list of the exercises to do and will attempt to do them on my own and then schedule a session with her every other week to change it up and update. We are leaving on Thursday for 8 days- going to Hawaii and I know there is a pretty nice fitness room where we are staying. As soon as we come back school starts and it is back to work for me. It will be nice to get back on a routine. I'm sure that will help in losing these last 20 pounds. I had gotten rather complacent these last 3 weeks and the scale crept up 5 pounds, but it is heading back down again with a couple days of diligence- tracking is so important to my success. Gotta remember that and follow through! Almost back to where I was. Tomorrow I will get in a couple hours of yardwork before going to the gym for my dietician appt- again facing the music because since I saw her last I really haven't followed through with the mini-goals we set. After my appt I'll go to the spin class. I might ride my bike to the gym too. The weather has been so glorious here in western WA.

Has anyone joined or ordered from Thrive Market? I joined on a special deal- can cancel within a month without paying the annual fee ($59). Some items were quite a bit cheaper than Amazon, others were higher. Don't know that it would be worthwhile to maintain 2 memberships though. Protein bars are convenient, but overall I'd rather eat real food.

Purl/WA
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    @ Melanie. My cousin lives in that area she is in a similar boat. Starting over:(. I just can't imagine! Sorry you had to go through this!

Today I was able to go to the Y and walk the inside track for 30- minutes!

We went over to friends tonight for a BBQ
    It was fun seeing some old friends who are back in town to see family great catching up.

My eating has been ok. But I need to start looking at other numbers like how much sodium etc for the last couple of weeks the goal for me was to just stay with or under my calorie goal. Now the need is to take it to the next step!

Wishing everyone a good night,

Liz
    From Caldwell, Idaho
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Melanie so sorry to hear of your situation. Where are you staying? Is FEMA there helping out? A friend posted on FB yesterday that the flooding is not getting the attention it should due to the Olympics and the upcoming elections. Please let us know if there is anything any of us can do to help you.

I forgot to mention yesterday that the upside of my getting shingles is that the anti-viral medication made the psoriasis I've been fighting for over 6 years go away. When I realized one day that it was gone I went online and found out that it is one of the choices available for those of us who get it over large areas of the body. Why no dermatologist I've seen over these past years ever mentioned this as a possibility is beyond me because the creams would only work with limited success. So I am somewhat thankful for having had shingles but not going overboard about it . . . LOL

Had a wonderful day on Sunday. Invited both of my DDs and DnL over for lunch, wine and to sort through the 4 big suitcases of Princess House crystal I had from my days as a Princess House sales person. I've wanted to do this for a long time and so glad it's done. They all took what they wanted with no big squabbles and I'm happy they won't have to wait until after I die to enjoy it! We've decided we girls are going to get together once a month from now on! Will wonders never cease?

Found a Foosball table on CL yesterday for free and while it was quite a long drive to get it the boys are really enjoying it. They had friends over today to play and Oh my gosh 4 boys are LOUD!

Tomorrow the sprayers are coming about the fleas in the house. I just knew I was going to come back to this after being in CA for 2 weeks and no pets or humans in the house. I've now vacuumed my house more times in the past 2 wks than I had over the past year! But - that's the key to getting rid of them. Poor DGS#1 has been eaten alive while DGS#2 gets no bites. I pretty much have it under control now but I want then WIPED OUT! I just hate flea bites!

Spent today sending out resumes and writing cover letters. Since my 5 years is up that I could not go back to work for the State (it was a contingency of taking early retirement and getting money for doing so) I am now trying to get back on with the State. What a blessing it would be to be working again! Both financially and mindwise.

Guess I've blabbed enough - 2:30 am and I'm drinking mint tea and eating mini dill pickles and no I am not pregnant.

Love to all of you for your friendship and a hand up to those who need it.

Gloria in WA

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    I came home from work yesterday and went to bed,we had no pain medication here and I tried calling the Drs office about 5 times yesterday and got there automated,please wait we will be with you soon, well I could not sit there for 20 mins waiting..will try calling them again today..
    Gout is part of the Poly Cystic Kidney disease that I can't stand as it is so painful.. luckly I dont have flares to often.
    Melanie~ I can't imagine what you are going through.. if there is anything we can do for you please dont hesitate to ask.
    not working until 1 today and will have my DGD till then ..
  • Spankee61
    Spankee61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you can contact ur Dr today without having to wait on hold.
    Prayers that you get relief soon.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Y
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday morning, wanted to stop in and say hi before another busy day.

Heather and Miriam -I understand! My parents were both alcoholics. My father only met his grands once. I would not submit them to the same heartache he caused me. What I mourned when he passed was the possibility of any reunion. Parenting just want their Forte. My mom is still alive. She is a recovering alcoholic of about 25 years. She is still self centered and stuck in the anger of the past. The latest "tantrum" was to "unfriend" me, my brother, and my sister on FB. Really? !? Even her grand children have little to do with her as I believe she may also be bipolar. It is sad, but not letting it have an effect on my life. I keep in touch on my terms. There is lots more but just understand that I know where you are coming from. (((Hugs)))

Sending love, prayers, and hugs to those who have lost loved ones.

Melanie- (((hugs))) Continued prayers for recovery in LA.

Katla- I feel guilty too that I can't from Sara (big, white, fluffy) but am thankful to be able to get her groomed.

Lenora- I love your swimsuit story! I feel the same,way! My youngest daughter wears a bikini with Spunk in spite of weight issues. I own one, but haven't worn in years. Keep trying to find either the right sir or the right attitude! Don't need a suit in my hot tub-hehe! One of these days. Oh bummers. Will have to take one on vacation as youngest daughter and family will be joining us for a few days. Guess I will need a suit for that hot tub:0

Busy, busy....more later. Time to get ready for work.

:)
    Kylia. From a little cooler still rainy Ohio
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    MissDi321 wrote: »
    Good afternoon ladies--I am a 62 yr old grandma and wife and mother of 2 sons. I am fairly new here and have posted in a couple of places. Not hearing from anyone--so I read some of the posts here and would like to join in the conversations and get to know others. I need motivation to exercise. My tracking is going well and my water intake is great--ofcourse it is so hot and the house isn't airconditioned so I drink water to stay hydrated.
    I live in PA and today it is beautiful.
    Looking for people to come along side me and help me to stay motivated.
    Call me Di.
    Blessings to everyone.

Hi Di! I am relatively new to this group and I am also from PA. It was relatively nice for awhile yesterday but then we got a huge thunderstorm in the afternoon and we got all the humidity back.... In the same boat with the exercise thing. Maybe we can motivate each other. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Melanie, so sorry to hear about your flooding. Hope everything works out as best it can.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention DEAR PENNY. Sweetie no trouble is small when it is our own. Hope things turn around quick!!!!