Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Found a picture of a crocheted Pokemon weener beekener but I dare not post it

Now you must post it.

I'll post a picture of myself in a burkini (Google it, it's a real bathing suit) if you post this Pokemon beekener!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Now you must post it.

I'll post a picture of myself in a burkini (Google it, it's a real bathing suit) if you post this Pokemon beekener!

I found a couple, the male ones are certainly nothing that could be posted here without repercussion. But I found this one (not crochet, obviously):

il_340x270.1043228315_fhhc.jpg
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @FridayApril01st2016
    Absolutely no opinion on the nudists. They pretty much keep to their commune. As long as they don't live near me and push my home's real estate value down. Wait, can they?? ;)

What I meant by asking, is that if you believe that it's inappropriate for adults to be shirtless around children; then isn't it also inappropriate for children to reside within nudist communities with nude adults? I don't know, you'd have to check; your state's laws.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    OldHound wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

Should men be wearing shirts at a public pool or beach, because of "the children"?

The discussion was about running in public, not being in a place where shirtless is the norm. I agree about the maturity. Certainly, you can say "I don't care what anybody thinks" and do what you want. The problem is that an attitude like that carries over into other aspects of your life. Always better to choose self-discipline. A lack of that is why most of us are here.
    Oldhound, well said. Totally agree. It carries into other aspects of life.
    Might want to get some shirts that fit then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Seriously how far does this go with exposed skin? Tank tops OK? Sleeveless t-shirts? Shorts?

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach.

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach
    But your wearing one in your profile pic?

Looks like he is at the gym ;-)

He's also here, wearing it; which isn't the gym or the beach!
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yesterdy was a really hot day (for Scotland) and I actually saw a topless runner. Not a sight you see every day here and it made me chuckle cos i thought of this post. I didn't get the chance to take a pic as i was in the car else i'd have posted it.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do whatever...and we should all be so secure in ourselves that it matters not that others might not like what they see jiggling while we run shirtless.
    I was not that guy... :(
    What's strange is that when I see a fat person running, my heart goes out - WTG!
    I gave a very large woman a thumbs up just this morning, and I could tell it really meant something to her.
    And oh, by the way...she had her shirt on...lol

My point is that I cared too much what others might think of me and did not go shirtless until I felt OK with my body.
    Silly huh?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think that there should be much much more shirtless running ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

Should men be wearing shirts at a public pool or beach, because of "the children"?

The discussion was about running in public, not being in a place where shirtless is the norm. I agree about the maturity. Certainly, you can say "I don't care what anybody thinks" and do what you want. The problem is that an attitude like that carries over into other aspects of your life. Always better to choose self-discipline. A lack of that is why most of us are here.

The OP mentioned being worried about the children. Why would children not be "hurt" seeing men w/o shirts running, but would be fine seeing the same men on the beach?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

Now you must post it.

No fair. My Pokemon weeener beekeeners are full of a certain body part that would put my heron behind bars. Your burkini - not so much - although it would be fetching on you, of that I am certain. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So, I'm assuming that people who say certain people shouldn't be shirtless also feel that there are only certain bodies that belong in a bikini?

Or that segregation is fine? Because as long as I don't have to see something that offends me, it's totes fine?

Really?!?!?!

Please to use your own water fountain, thanks...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Now you must post it.

No fair. My Pokemon weeener beekeeners are full of a certain body part that would put my heron behind bars. Your burkini - not so much - although it would be fetching on you, of that I am certain. :)

I googled and found this weener beekeener, yep, herons belong in frolicking in marsh waters not behind bars. Good plan.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

The OP mentioned being worried about the children. Why would children not be "hurt" seeing men w/o shirts running, but would be fine seeing the same men on the beach?

Judging by the children I know, they aren't being affected by someone without a shirt. They'd rather be naked all the time...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why would people running shirtless drive down real estate prices? I often think I live in one of the most annoying NIMBY-est neighborhoods known to mankind, and yet no one has gotten up in arms about that yet.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    On my drive home from work last night I saw 5 people running. 2 men running shirtless, 3 women running in sports bras... no one running in full shirts or even tank tops. I live in WI it was in the 80s and pretty humid, but I honestly didn't see anything unusual, just was looking because of this thread