Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    After a melanoma scare in the family when I see shirtless runners I just hope they put on sunscreen!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    We are overlooking the obvious fact that shirtless runners are saving the planet.

Because they don't have to wash a shirt after running, they do less laundry which means they use less water, less electricity, less laundry detergent and waste less time.

Personally, I love giving those wonderful, planet-saving, shirtless runners a congratulatory pat on the bum as I run past them since that is the universal signal for good job. :#

I run shirtless all the time. Still waiting for my pat on the bum...maybe some day
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Personally I don't want to see shirtless guys running anywhere regardless of their shape ...
    Hot weather or not there is sportswear designed for the heat.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    :)

hi. I found the pokemon one online.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Personally I don't want to see shirtless guys running anywhere regardless of their shape ...

First of all some of that specially designed sports wear is super expensive. Not everyone can afford to be a fashion model just to please those with delicate sensibilities. Get real. If you don't like it, look the other way, as you are in fact entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to enforce sportswear upon people though, so better get used to looking the other way.

And that's exactly what I do do....*shrug*

as I said MY opinion.

Plus I don't live in a hot country so it's easy for me to say there's no need to go shirtless.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yes, there is. Going without is still sometimes cooler and besides that, it's very unpleasant to have a sweaty shirt plastered to you while you run regardless of the fabric.

FWIW, I've found Icebreakers merino and similar to work best in hot and humid weather. But eventually even it fails in comparison to going without.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think the people who are against shirtlessness are caught in an inhibitory trap. They never let themselves get that wild, releasing fire energy that the sun delivers, and thus never getting the mental excitation that allows them to overcome the inhibition that keeps them from feeling fine going around with no shirt. It must be a vicious cycle for them.

Or they are just uptight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I think the people who are against shirtlessness are caught in an inhibitory trap. They never let themselves get that wild, releasing fire energy that the sun delivers, and thus never getting the mental excitation that allows them to overcome the inhibition that keeps them from feeling fine going around with no shirt. It must be a vicious cycle for them.

So is this the cause of spontaneous human combustion?
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

So is this the cause of spontaneous human combustion?

They are wound so tight the friction causes fire.. I can see that.

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    We are overlooking the obvious fact that shirtless runners are saving the planet.

Because they don't have to wash a shirt after running, they do less laundry which means they use less water, less electricity, less laundry detergent and waste less time.

Personally, I love giving those wonderful, planet-saving, shirtless runners a congratulatory pat on the bum as I run past them since that is the universal signal for good job. :#

I seriously just lol'd
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Yes, there is. Going without is still sometimes cooler and besides that, it's very unpleasant to have a sweaty shirt plastered to you while you run regardless of the fabric.

FWIW, I've found Icebreakers merino and similar to work best in hot and humid weather. But eventually even it fails in comparison to going without.

And sometimes you just want to get a little tan...I don't like laying around to tan, I'd rather be out and active with my shirt off...kill two birds with one stone.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    You know... I noticed a few years back that one of my overweight, past middle age neighbors did all his yardwork shirtless. At first it grossed me out until I noticed how gawd awful my husband's farmers tan looked. Now I beg my husband to go shirtless while mowing the lawn, back hair, and beer belly be damned. No, sometimes it's not the prettiest when a man goes topless, but seriously...tan lines.

HAHAAHA I feel ya ! My husband gets VERY dark, and easily. I am always begging him to go shirtless too for the same reason.