Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    FWIW, I've found Icebreakers merino and similar to work best in hot and humid weather. But eventually even it fails in comparison to going without.

A thin layer of wool is amazing in the summer.
    Plus I don't live in a hot country so it's easy for me to say there's no need to go shirtless.

Nipple chafing can't happen if you don't have a shirt rubbing them raw.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Personally I don't want to see shirtless guys running anywhere regardless of their shape ...
    Hot weather or not there is sportswear designed for the heat.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Yes, there is. Going without is still sometimes cooler and besides that, it's very unpleasant to have a sweaty shirt plastered to you while you run regardless of the fabric.

FWIW, I've found Icebreakers merino and similar to work best in hot and humid weather. But eventually even it fails in comparison to going without.

And sometimes you just want to get a little tan...I don't like laying around to tan, I'd rather be out and active with my shirt off...kill two birds with one stone.

This is exactly why I wish I could do yard work and exercise without a shirt on like my husband does. I have a sports bra tanline on my back, but at least it looks good when I am wearing my bikini at the beach. :smiley:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    So, I'm assuming that people who say certain people shouldn't be shirtless also feel that there are only certain bodies that belong in a bikini?

Or that segregation is fine? Because as long as I don't have to see something that offends me, it's totes fine?

Really?!?!?!

Please to use your own water fountain, thanks...

Exactly: Yeah, no.

If I didn't have to see anything that offended me, I wouldn't have had to see the posts suggesting that people shouldn't run shirtless because it makes sensitive but uninvolved 3rd parties feel icky, especially if said runners are fat, or ugly, or old, or undisciplined, or conceited, or some other kind of purported "unpleasant". SMH
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I think the people who are against shirtlessness are caught in an inhibitory trap. They never let themselves get that wild, releasing fire energy that the sun delivers, and thus never getting the mental excitation that allows them to overcome the inhibition that keeps them from feeling fine going around with no shirt. It must be a vicious cycle for them.

So is this the cause of spontaneous human combustion?

I don't know, I don't believe in such weird stuff spontaneous combustion.
    It makes much more sense that any unexplained humans starting on fire is a government cover up rather than fire magically happening.

Yes! The government is covering up alien abductions by exploding the implants. Good call!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    So, it went from 83F to 100F in less than 40 minutes this morning (Las Vegas-aka the half way point between then earth and the sun). There were young men, old men, fit and fat alike, stripping off their shirts during morning jogs today. And one cyclist in a weener beekeener, but a long sleeve sweater, lol.

It never occurred to me that some of those men can be topless, but some should not. Although, I was a touch jealous that as a woman, local laws prevent me from doing the same. Well, unless I had the forethought to apply pasties before my walk; that's legal coverage in LV, lol.

Legal in Canada! No nipple covers needed.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    Personally I don't want to see shirtless guys running anywhere regardless of their shape ...

Yes, there is. Going without is still sometimes cooler and besides that, it's very unpleasant to have a sweaty shirt plastered to you while you run regardless of the fabric.

And sometimes you just want to get a little tan...I don't like laying around to tan, I'd rather be out and active with my shirt off...kill two birds with one stone.

This is exactly why I wish I could do yard work and exercise without a shirt on like my husband does. I have a sports bra tanline on my back, but at least it looks good when I am wearing my bikini at the beach. :smiley:

I have mowed my lawn topless before (but we have a very high privacy fence).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I don't give a rip, frankly. Men can run shirtless. Women can run wearing just a sports bra as a top because it is HOT and SWEATY. IDGAF if you're 20 or 80, 100 lb or 300. My eyeballs won't fall out of my face if every jogger I see doesn't inspire me to lust after them lol. The only thing I would really suggest to men jogging is that they make sure their shorts really do keep "the boys" under some cloth, or else wear underwear with the shorts, because sometimes.... sometimes guys are unaware that while running, their nads have flopped out the side of their short shorts. If you would like to run completely naked, do consider vacationing at a nude beach.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of this thread is knowing that someone, somewhere is highly offended by my very existence. I will certainly be lifting and running shirtless this afternoon in your honor. My neighborhood thanks you for your service.

Oh see I can't lift shirtless. I lifted in a racer back once and had an allergic reaction or something to the bar.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »

I have mowed my lawn topless before (but we have a very high privacy fence).

Logistical question (we live in a condo so neither of us mow the lawn). Do the grass clippings fly up and stick to you that way?

Not really, no. Although a few grass clipping wouldn't bother me
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Course old guys should keep their shirt on. Any guy past 35 years old. Duh.
    That's just common sense. Some of these people here say they do not mind seeing a shirtless old guy; but of course they do.

Nah, where I run there's this smokin' hot guy, probably 45-50. I dang don't mind. Good
    Gawd almighty.. mmm, I gotta go run.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    BTW - Some of the attitudes here are the very reason I got my ear pierced and grew my hair in the 80's. It allowed me to quickly identify people I wanted nothing to do with. Too easy.

dewd - fistbump
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    You know... I noticed a few years back that one of my overweight, past middle age neighbors did all his yardwork shirtless. At first it grossed me out until I noticed how gawd awful my husband's farmers tan looked. Now I beg my husband to go shirtless while mowing the lawn, back hair, and beer belly be damned. No, sometimes it's not the prettiest when a man goes topless, but seriously...tan lines.

HAHAAHA I feel ya ! My husband gets VERY dark, and easily. I am always begging him to go shirtless too for the same reason.

My husband is pretty much blue, he's so white, so even though he's fit and has nice abs and all that, I feel like people pretty much recoil whenever he's shirtless. He looks almost frightening in direct sunlight :lol: But we're both burners so he only goes shirtless with mega-SPF and I pretty much cover all my skin regardless of weather.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I wish women had the option to go around without a shirt on, but my female nipples are offensive.

Let us me be the judge of that.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I grew up with my Dad doing yard work or other outdoor activities while shirtless if he felt it was too warm for a shirt. He is 64 now and still spends a lot of time without a shirt. My Dad has always been active but hasn't had an athletic build since I was very young. I appreciate that he has always been comfortable with who he is and how he looks and isn't worried about what other people think. That comfort level has helped myself and my siblings feel comfortable in our own skin. I love him for that, and many, many other reasons.
  • honorthecolors
    honorthecolors Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have ran shirtless/ with a shirt on and in little shorts in the city of Wichita, KS on Douglas, ST. I was visiting as I do often. The last time I was there and running down the side walk I got several honks from cars. I am not sure if it were ladies, guys or if it was a honk meant to be translated into "hey, put some clothes on". Far as honking or cat calling women, I do not do that. I have more respect for myself. By the way, I am 39 years old with 7 percent or less body fat so I am far from a dad bod but if other guys with a dad bod choose to run outside with their shirt off more power to them. It's not my place to judge. A year ago I have a dad bod *plus size. The picture is what I look like if I were to run without my shirt on.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Ask for a wife beater round here and you'll get a can of Stella!

Since this thread is active again I will post....

The other day I had to explain to my son why I was laughing when he brought this home. It may not be the one you are referring to but funny just the same. :smiley:

vw0pqee7r2m9.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have ran shirtless/ with a shirt on and in little shorts in the city of Wichita, KS on Douglas, ST. I was visiting as I do often. The last time I was there and running down the side walk I got several honks from cars. I am not sure if it were ladies, guys or if it was a honk meant to be translated into "hey, put some clothes on". Far as honking or cat calling women, I do not do that. I have more respect for myself. By the way, I am 39 years old with 7 percent or less body fat so I am far from a dad bod but if other guys with a dad bod choose to run outside with their shirt off more power to them. It's not my place to judge. A year ago I have a dad bod *plus size. The picture is what I look like if I were to run without my shirt on.

That was me honking! B)