WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the love and kind words. I sent what I wrote on here as a message to my DH. I woke up this morning and he was out walking Shep. I think he's trying to make an effort to be more loving towards him. He is the one that bought him as a Christmas present for me. I still am hurt about the grandson remarks because that is how I feel and am treated by everyone.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Jari Love's Extremely Ripped and Chiseled DVD. I really wish she'd get more creative with the names of her DVD's. All of them are so much like each other. The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT. I know that I'm going to go over on calories at the pool party. It would only be nice to try a lot of the foods, and I know that very little is going to be decent. So I'm trying to prepare and burn extra calories.

Carey and DJ - when you say that your looking forward to seeing all of my creations, do you mean in one pic? They are all spread around my the pool so in order to take pics of them by the pool, it'll take lots and lots of pics. I can take one or two when we bring everything in for the winter. Right now I'm working on another snail since I'm not at all happy with the colors of this snail

janetr - you hit the nail on the head with your post about hurting and waking up

As I told you, my wedding and engagement rings are going to stay in the safe for what they are valued at. But I feel so "lost" without something on my left hand ring finger so I put on MIL's ring. Now in a way I wish I hadn't given Dianna my mother's ring. How cool would it be to be wearing something from my mother and something from MIL? But she's probably already thrown it out. I was hoping to connect with her, but that didn't happen.

Mary - what a horrible situation you have. My heart goes out to you.

NYKaren - so glad you had such a nice day yesterday and got so many steps in. Awesome

KJ - how about a backwards day where all the kids wear their clothes backwards? can you have a backyard beach Party? Olympics party? Something to do with Space? Something to do with taking a trip (geography and they don't even know it)? If you need ideas for games or foods for any of these, let me know. I have a book called "The Penny Whistle Party Planner" and can give you ideas.

Lillian - if I were looking to rent a house, yours sounds great. I know what you mean about wanting everything. To be honest, I think realtors encourage this. One of the things that attracted us to this house was that it was a home, not a house. there were pics of their sons on the walls, a ladder in the hallway showing me that they were taking care of the house. The only thing was that they did the bare minimum to get the house sold regarding the landscaping. Now we need to redo so much and add things.

Beth - that would be ever so cool if you and frankiesgirl's son were roommates. Feel better fast

katjane - welcome! You've come to a great place for ideas

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
  • darvit207
    darvit207 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All! I just logged my breakfast and wanted to pop in to say hello. I'm loving all your stories. Don't have time at the moment to read today's but will definitely catch up later at lunch or after work. Still in my first week. I'm finding is hard to make healthy choices, but know I it's what I have to do. Had dinner with extended family last night and actually passed on having a roll which mad me happy because I did it but sad because I love a good roll. Once I get back to my regular exercise routine I'll be able to have that roll, but for now it's not an option. Anyway, it's going to be another busy day for me. Onward & upward! Hope you all have a great day!

Dar in PA
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X 35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 25X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

Exercise is a great way to relax and relieve stress!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Feeling naughty today as another day has gone by without me doing my memoir. There is still time, but I don't think it is going to happen. ;):* I am avoiding it by doing lots of German and Spanish. :ohwell:

DH has just returned from the supermarket, so I've been helping him put stuff away and I boiled up some milk for yoghurt. He is making an apple and blackcurrant stew.

DJ - How great to rec all those shoes! Nice nails! Mine are currently unvarnished, which is a bit slovenly of me.

Mary - Families, eh! It can be sooooooo difficult. :flowerforyou: The only thing is somehow to have a non judgemental chat with DH. Easy for me to say, but very hard to do. Listening to each other is the hardest thing. Good luck! <3

Now to get our afternoon snack together.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    DJ ~ Lucky you to get those shoes! They are too cute and look great with the open toes and your pretty toe nails.

Mary ~ Hugs! Glad to hear that the DH is walking Shep as it is probably his way of trying to make amends. Unfortunately, all of us sometimes say things that can't be taken back after they come out of our mouths. I know I do and my DH of 47 yrs has said plenty. I especially regret some of the things I said many years ago to my Mom. They must have been so hurtful but she never stopped being there for me even so.

Carey & KJ ~ I think Carey's ideas are great. I was thinking the same things but couldn't word them. Paper mache sounds like fun but I don't know if the little ones can handle that. One other idea would be a Hawaiian Luau.

DJ ~ I liked your advise on getting the ozone generator and bought one. We will try it today in the rental. It will be good to have on hand for future use.

Going for Chinese with the DH so will have to watch portions.

Carol

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Pip - We all have Road I.D.'s. They are great. Each one is personalized to the family member. All my kids have them for their babies and the bracelets are on the kids car seats with information just in case of a car accident. They have at least two emergency numbers on them and known allergies. I have a bracelet but I also have the one that hooks on my running shoe because the bracelet annoys me when I sweat. ;)

It's Hatch chili time so I'm buying and roasting chilies like mad. :) I'm making enchilada sauce and freezing it for the day when the Hatch chilies are no longer.... such a sad day it always is....
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, Just a quick note to say you all are awesome.
    Whether the weather be fine
    Or whether the weather be not
    Whether the weather be cold
    Or whether the weather be hot
    We'll weather the weather
    Whatever the weather
    Whether we like it or not.

In other words, we GOT THIS!
    We do what we gotta do.

To people arguing with family,

Don't lose your head
    Then lose your guy
    You can't lose a broken heart
    If you ever break up
    Then try to make up
    It's tough to make a brand new start
    Take a walk, think it over
    While strolling 'neath the moon
    Don't say things in December
    You'll regret in June
    Weigh your remarks before you speak
    Or you may be sorry soon
    Don't be erratic, be diplomatic
    To keep your hearts in tune
    Cruel harsh words, often spoken
    Will upset your applecart
    So don't lose your head
    Then lose your guy
    'Cause you can't lose a broken heart

(written by Louis Armstrong)

(((((hugs you all))))))

Thing of me because I shall be volunteering at the Senior Luncheon and I think I will be the only one doing it. So its me and 90 old people... lol. Wait, correction. 90 HUNGRY old people. But honestly you know I love all of them, so hopefully they will be patient.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: If the VW key turns up, it will probably be after we get a new one. We actually have one on hand that will need to be programmed and there is a place in Portland that can do it. It is a long way from here and there is nasty traffic in between. This place is essentially in the business of taking care of wrecks but they'll get the key issue handled for us for much less money that any VW dealer around here. Thanks for your good thoughts. :smiley:

Joyce: I'm glad you're feeling a little bit better & breathing a bit easier. I watched the track events last night while I knitted. Track events are easy to see and understand, and have the added asset that there is no subjective judging. You're first, second, third or whatever. You jumped a hurdle or tipped it over. Some of the other events are more subjective. I loved watching gymnastics, but it is a sport that is open to judge's opinion. In the equestrian events, the cross-country race is simple. What was your time, & did you jump clear, whereas dressage is much more subjective. I would watch horses grazing in a pasture but that is because I'm a horse crazy little girl who didn't out grow it. :ohwell:

SugarDarlin: It sounds like the people in the school cafeteria are a good bunch. You're smart to take your own food, though. School cafeteria food is laden with calories. Many of the kids really need them, but adults are a different story. The kids grow up; we grow fluffy if we aren't watchful. :ohwell:

Rori: I find it amazing that you got your fitbit back. Wow! :flowerforyou:

DJ: You're right about those shoes. They are cute! I hope they're also comfortable. :smiley:

Pip: Is that $5800 bucks for painting Twinkie's name on him/her? Yikes! Or is it more than just the name? :huh:

JanetR: Too true. If I woke up totally pain free I'd figure I was in heaven. :laugh:

Gloria in WA: I suspect your energy is low because it takes so much energy to cope with the shingles. (((HUGS)))

Joyce: Pedicures aren't just for pretty feet. DH has lots of toenail issues due to longterm diabetes and pedicures are absolutely good for his feet. We both get them at about 6 to 8 week intervals. I had been getting them for years and talked him into trying one. It was so good that he now gets them regularly. :flowerforyou:

KJ: The only idea I come up with for your theme days is a day at the beach including sand and hotdogs. :smiley:

Mary: Your DH was a total jerk to you. I wonder whether he has some guilt issues that he is dealing with by being mean. It would be worth considering finding someone to help you both work on your marriage. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Lillian: I agree that the house sounds lovely. If the prospective renters think it is less than ideal, they might not take good care of it. You need renters who love & respect it. :flowerforyou:

DH has a high school class get together on Saturday at the Olive Garden in the Portland area near I-5. I'm happy for him and will enjoy going along. It will be worth putting up with the hideous traffic. :grumble: One nice thing is that Olive Garden posts nutrition and calorie information on line and we can plan our meal selections ahead. While we're at it we may decide to go and deal with the VW key issue. We'll see if there is enough energy left over after the meal.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Carey, Carol, Katla, Michele- Great minds must think alike, because most of your ideas, I have incorporated into the themes. Island Adventure is luau deco with pirate gear for the boys, a scavenger hunt with treasure map a treasure chest of "booty", and picnic on the beach. Mad science incorporates the Space/Star Wars, glow deco and crafts, and kitchen science activities (done outside bc they are really messy). Around the World in 80 days is actually a geography and culture study with passports, pilot caps and goggles, maps and cultural/travel crafts. BUT...Carey's dinosaur theme gave me another idea for maybe a Histories Mysteries day. With dinosaurs, city history, local native american history and maybe a field trip to the local museum. Yea! Thank you for the helpful suggestions!
    Melanie - Omigoodness! I keep forgetting to tell you I am thinking of you every day and the rest of your community! Stay safe and know you are in my thoughts and prayers. <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
    Katla- that's more than wolberizong Twinkie. I will like it all when I get the final receipt
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the love and kind words. I sent what I wrote on here as a message to my DH. I woke up this morning and he was out walking Shep. I think he's trying to make an effort to be more loving towards him. He is the one that bought him as a Christmas present for me. I still am hurt about the grandson remarks because that is how I feel and am treated by everyone.

Except the grandsons, I hope? <3

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Hidee Ho ladies~
    I am pooped.. went and got my hair cut ,Tal made 2 friends in my hairdresser and my dear friend Ray.. then off we went to the pig roast Buddy wouldnt eat what they put in front of him.... and they did have hamburger and beans... so I got him a plate of that all chopped up and to town he went ..then had 2 bowls of watermelon..
    My BIL and SIL came from Wolcott and that was nice as they are his POA .. and sorta shamed them into coming.. least they could do.. they have another kind of bbq with a jazz group playing in October... this place is soooo much better than the other place...... right now we are in the A.C. and watching spongebob..
  • MissDi321
    MissDi321 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!!! I am going to my LifeSmart nutrition class in a little bit. That is what got me started logging food and exercise. I have been doing fairly well. Keeping around 1200 cal. Had some "over eating days", but back on track.
    Been so tired. Bld work came back with low Red Blood count--forgot to ask the Dr if that is why I have little energy.
    Do feel better when I move, but it is getting up and doing it.
    No real exercise done today....I read about all of you here that do so much exercise and such--how do you find the energy and the stamina???? I walk to the mailbox and get tired. The walk back and forth is about 1/8 mile. I need to find the "gumption" to get moving on the days I don't do Silver Sneakers.
    Does anyone here have Fibromyalgia??
    I sound like I'm just plain lazy---sorry.
    Just a down day I guess.....
    I will get weighed in tonight so I will let you all know how that went.

Blessings to all
    Diane from PA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    KarenE and Betty – I won’t call myself a ‘wimp’ anymore; then, … I was just surprised that I could not do more than 3 sets, 20 reps, 10lbs. I want to go get in the pool today before the thunderstorms come; ... nah, not going to happen, sun not out. But, I also want to watch some of my ‘favorite’ shows on TV. But, after I have my lunch; I will decide what I’ll do. I need to think about what the temperature will be. I think one of my problems with the kettlebell is that I don’t want to tear my rotator cuff (for a 3rd time). I am watching myself in the mirror and I think I have good form. Cracker doesn't like me doing something she doesn't understand or makes a lot of noise (can't stand the vacuum cleaners). The other day when I was doing the kettlebell, she went to 'bite' at it and I hit her in the nose, not hard; just hard enough that she just sat and watched me, quietly.

Penny – My DDnL#1 has been without a job for 6 weeks; and, they really did NOT need for her to be without a paycheck, at all. But, she has been happier and has had less migraines since she stopped. She’s been given a job at the RYDC starting 9/1; but, she is still going to look for a better one, that pays a little more; and hopefully, will provide health insurance. She had a ‘phone interview’ with the hospital yesterday afternoon. That would be a ‘good job’ [probably] and I am sure they would provide health insurance and stuff like that, (and probably some sort of ‘retirement program’). Then they wear uniforms (suits actually) and that would save on having to buy more clothes. We are trying our best to encourage her to lose weight. She’s lost 40; but, said that she’s put back on 10 of them; but, still trying to watch what she eats. Her mother bought her basically a 'new' wardrobe for work. She’s a little upset that now you have to make applications over the Internet; then maybe get a ‘phone interview’ and the ‘maybe’ they will call you in for a ‘personal interview’; but, they never let you know anything about whether or not they have filled the position. This job would be as a clerk in the billing office (submitting insurance to companies, and, billing people and taking payments). I think she would be qualified for that. Maybe even like it a lot better than the one she is taking, just to have that 2nd income coming in.

Katla – Have you gone ‘grocery shopping’ lately? Maybe you put them in the cabinet or in the fridge. I know sometimes when I don’t put them in my purse as soon as I get back in the house; I will lay them down on the counter. Then, I have to go somewhere, and I am running late … that’s when they disappear. I really ‘think’ I have a ‘gremlin’ in the house. I get so mad or upset that I must go ‘blind’ for a few minutes. If I walk to another section of the house and come back into the kitchen sometimes they’ll be right there, in plain view. Sometimes I call DH and ask him ‘where he saw them last’. LOL! Now, that’s pretty bad.

Today I realized that I have gotten 6 chocolate shakes; which are too chocolatey; so I have to put in ¼ cup of milk in them … guess where I was about to put the milk, … YEAH; but into the cabinet where I had gotten the measuring cup out just before getting the milk out and I had put the measuring cup in the sink. See … keys might just be somewhere that you have put somewhere else. Check your pockets in the dirty clothes hamper (at least B4 you wash anything).

Re in TX – I grew up in a ‘large’ 2-story house with 11 foot ceilings. The only room that had A/C in it, for a long time was the downstairs MBR – had to keep Daddy cool; upstairs we had an industrial-size attic fan that would pull heavy lined drapes out from the windows 3 or more feet. It ran all night, with the windows open by early morning it really needed to be turned off; but, none of the 3 of us wanted to get out of bed to turn it off at 3- 4:00am. Daddy finally got a downstairs switch put in right outside in the hall from their bedroom so they could turn it off early in the morning. We’d put extra blankets on our beds. I still sleep under a blanket (quilt) all year; and when I need to ‘cool off’; I put one leg (from knee down) on top of the covers. DH sleeps only under a sheet all year.

SugarDarlin1… - We had a cafeteria in the basement of our school; as we went down the stairs in a single line; at the landing there was someone who punched out ‘meal ticket’ or took money; we bought the ‘meal ticket’ and I think we had 20 days on it. It was ‘hell’ if you forgot it or lost it or had someone else get it to use; and did not have the money to pay … or had not brought your lunch. The best thing is they had ‘really’ cold milk, wonderful yeast rolls, and cake with chocolate glaze on it. On Wednesdays, I think, we had what we called ‘mystery meat’ or ‘scabs’ … that is what it looked like and you’d have to be ‘really’ hungry to eat them. I know they were ‘supposed’ to be Salisbury steaks; but, rarely any gravy on them. YUK! We had 3 rows of tables end-to-end. Exposed pipes and everything was painted gray … no decorations at all.

DJ – I am really ‘surprised’ that I have not had an EEG since I started going to the Neurologist, other than the first time; and once in 2012 - when I had a wreck. I don’t know if it shows any ‘seizure’ activity … if you have not had one immediately beforehand or not. I was surprised that I did not have one the last 2 times. I have a ‘new’ Neurologist … I don’t really care for him. He isn’t from around here; and is part-time. I’m sure his partner would see me if I had to be hospitalized; but, when my old one moved to Atlanta, she could not take her patients on. When this guy talks to you, his eyes are fluttering and sometimes roll back into his head. It’s a little ‘creepy’. I don’t know if there is one in Americus; but, I might check on it. If I have another seizure … I will get them (DH/EMTs) to take me to that hospital. I really think I should have an EKG at least once every 2 years.

Love the shoes; are they flats or wedges? Pretty color on your toenails. I really like the striped ones. DH thinks that ‘maybe’ I have enough shoes. I keep telling my BF, that I ‘like’ the ‘new’ tops she has bought; she gave me 3 of them because she did not like the way they hung off her narrow shoulders. Fit me just right. Got really upset when I wore one for a 2nd time and dropped a drop of nail polish on it and ruined it. It was a ‘periwinkle blue’ … haven’t found anything that is that color since. GGrrrrr! But, she doesn’t know when or if I have worn it.

Michele in NC – The steps are the ones that you ‘push’ down; and because my balance isn’t all that great; I have put it beside my treadmill, so I will have something to hold on to. I think you can change the difficulty of the steps, too.

Pip – I have an allergy to penicillin-based antibiotics and a lot of other meds and to ‘latex’; but, so many places use ‘latex-free’ gloves now. I keep a copy of my medical history and list of medications I take in my glove compartment and in DH’s truck and also in my purse. If I am touched by ‘latex’ I get big red, itchy whelps where it touches. I told my GYN that the time before the last pelvic he gave me - I felt like I was about to have a stroke. Worst migraine headache I had ever had; that is when he changed to latex-free gloves. That was pretty miserable, everywhere!

Beth near Buffalo – MFP can ‘reset’ you days for you. They’ve done it for me twice before. I think you have to tell them 'roughly' how many days you had. I did this once when I had no Internet; and, wrote down what I had eaten for 10 days.

Fanncy0626 – I never called my step-daughter (‘daughter’) because her Mother would have gone ‘ballistic’.

DH’s oldest granddaughter (this daughter's only child) was struck and killed by a car when she was 12-years-old. She went for a while grieving so bad and she’d call us and do nothing but cry with me; I let her cry as long as she wanted to. Her Mother, after a few months, told her to ‘grow up and get over it’. But she has since remarried and they have a daughter (by ‘in vitro fertilization') and she is now about 10 years old. But we have only seen her a ‘couple of time’ before she turned one; when DH’s mother passed away. SD had been ‘greedy’ and had a Will and POA made out that named her as if she were a child; and, also she had total control over her [which, in FL, is against the law to prepare one giving yourself the power over another]. It ‘has’ to be done by an attorney. She took her to the bank and had ‘new’ signatory cards signed, which took DH and DBnL ‘off’; bought mutual funds from the money she had gotten out of DFnL’s bank box; and, whenever DH and/or DBnL asked to go to the bank and to have their names put on the mutual funds … it was ‘never’ convenient.

If she had also named the 4 grandsons in the Will; it would not have been as bad; but, they (DH & DBnL) took their mother to ‘rescind the POA’. Then when they got home, they discovered that she had ‘torn up the Will’. So, they ended up having to go back and have the Will done over. They still left her ‘in the Will’ … not knowing that she’d later pull a POA ‘off the Internet’ doing the same as the one before that had been prepared by an attorney. Some of the paragraphs she had here ‘initial’ actually counteracted against other paragraphs. DH did not want to push it; but, it infuriated me; because the addendum that had been added to the Will … she had scratched through the things I was supposed to get (jewelry and a painting I had done) and put her name to them.

So on the day of the ‘wake’ for my DMnL – they were having a pool dug in the backyard. The dinner was being held in the backyard. Her husband was standing not more than 2’ away from me and I commented to DH that "having those workers there digging a damn pool while the wake dinner was going on, was the 'height of disrespect'." He went over and told them to ‘pack it up’. She can out of the kitchen ‘screaming and cursing’ at him, saying that it would be the end of summer before she could get them rescheduled. This was in March. We haven’t seen this GD since then. And her Mother has not spoken to my husband either.

To him, she is as ‘dead’ as his mother is. A few years ago, he asked me ‘what day is this’? I looked at him and said ‘other than it is daughter’s 50th birthday; it is just another day’. He said, he wanted to know if I remembered. Sure I did, she was his daughter. She’s only 11 years younger than I am, so I never felt like a ‘mother’; just an ‘aunt’; but, DH said he felt like he was just a ‘uncle that she would visit during the summer for 2 weeks’. It’s sad, more because of the GD; but, there isn’t anything we can do about it. Too late in the game to ‘introduce ourselves to her now’. I’m sure she never mentions DH to her; and her step-father has always been ‘her granddaddy’.

DH, has specifically written her ‘out of his Will’ because we have 2 sons together. So, ‘if’ I have to notify her of this fact; I will do it as late as possible; and send her a copy of it with a crisp new $10 bill attached to it with a ‘sticky note’ to ‘not spend it all at once’. M-E-O-W! She had sent us a 'death certificate' to cash in an insurance policy that she had not found. It was for only $3000. That is one case that “I won’t stay mad about; but, I will get even.” Even ‘if’ it means that “Karma” will come visit me. She ‘hurt’ my DH with her actions and NOBODY hurts my DH or my DSs. Not without going through me. Sometimes human kids are worse than ‘fur babies’. How long have you been married to him, anyway?

My heart goes out to you. Being a ‘step-mother’ isn’t always good; especially when you are treated like the ‘wicked step-mother’. I still can’t understand why his daughter won’t allow him to see the twins. Maybe she got her ‘cruel bone’ from him. Maybe that is why she will only ‘text’ him. At least she sent pictures. I thought y'all had been invited to come in October to see them (even if you had to stay in a motel/hotel). We don’t have but one picture of the estranged GD and only one of the one that was killed. I still have them out; maybe I should just pack them away. Or just turn them over. They aren’t in a conspicuous place anyway. I would not ‘get rid of my dog’, he has become a part of you. He is YOUR ‘fur baby’ … just because DH ‘lost it’ with you … you should not feel compelled to give him away. You’ve worked hard at getting him trained.

My DH was not ‘thrilled’ when I first got “Cracker’ to have her ‘in the house’; but, he let me do it. Now, he laughs at her antics … she has him ‘wrapped’ around her ‘paws’. She is still ‘favoring’ her left front paw; one of her toenails looks like it grow ‘up’, one hasn’t grown in all the way yet after it was cut down into the quick; and then the one the vet took off, looks like it is growing in upside down. I will take her back when we get home from DYS’s and see what he has to say about it. I will point this out to the groomer; might only have 2 of her nails filed; and, point out the one that looks like it is upside down. When she walks, she will put it down; running, slowly will hold it up, running fast, it ‘looks’ like she puts it down ever so often. He told us that until both middle nails grew in all the way … she would favor it because those are the ones that she puts her weight on. Did not know that.

My husband, especially when he is tired or put up with being interrupted or 'griped to' during the day when he is working … can use a TONE that is less than pleasant. It takes me a while to get over it; and, I will usually tell him, after he has calmed down that “I did not appreciate his ‘tone’ he used earlier; it was totally unnecessary.” Neither of us, rarely say something ‘hurtful’ to the other, especially not in front of others. If he did that to me, I’d burst into tears and he knows it.

My DYS is married to a woman who was married before and has a 10-year-old daughter. Her daddy is remarried with a child. They have ‘split’ custody after a huge battle over custody. The judge finally told her ‘ex’ that ‘if’ he ever appeared before him again, he would REGRET what his ruling would be. DGD ‘loves’ DYS. She was a little upset that her last name would not change to his. She stays in trouble with her step-mother because her younger half-brother tattles on her all the time. But, she is my DGD#4 … and I will refer to her as my granddaughter. She told her Mama a few month after they got married; that she realized that her Daddy was her Daddy; and that his wife is her step-mother and that DYS is her ‘step-Dad’; but, she really loved him a lot more than she ‘liked’ step-mother. At some point when they were all together (maybe at a football game … something where all 4 of them and DDnL#2’s parents were) and DGD#4 made the remark to them that DYS and her Mama were looking for a place to move or build; and the step-mother said, ‘well, that will really SUCK, when you are only going to be allowed to see them every other weekend and Wednesday.” My DDnL#2, DYS, her parents … all had their jaws hit the ground. DDnL#2 told her … WTF? Nobody is going to take my daughter away from me, ever! We can move 'out of state' and you can't take her away ... child visitation would mean that 'you might not get to see her even 1/2 the time'. I think even her ‘ex’ was surprised by the comment.

KJLaMore – Thanks!

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Penny – I liked the stone patio. We have a ‘fire pit’ that was an old tractor wheel; and DH built a bench to sit on. It’s level; but the yard slopes a little; so on one end my feet don’t touch the ground unless I sit towards the front. We've been 'talking' about putting a patio out there. It's going to be 'expensive'; but, maybe a small concrete pad would be nice. But, I must have short legs; because when we try to decide if we are going to buy a sofa and two chairs to replace the ones that we’ve covered twice, nothing fits! I’m thinking that just recovering what we have might even be less than buying new. This furniture is comfortable; but, the seats are beginning to sag; I will have to check with the upholsterer to see if there is any possibility that across the front of them, he can put a padded piece of wood so that the springs could be attached to it. Maybe they won’t sink down then.

Rori – What or who is “Reiki?”

Re in TX – The Jacksonville Zoo has misters everywhere but a storm had just passed through and the wind kicked up so did the mist; but the one we found at the far end of the Zoo was a huge fan on top of a recirculating water barrel. And the wind blowing was 'hot' air. DYS said that his boss gave him a big attic fan; that they had planned on putting in their house, decided against it, so he gave it to him. He built a frame around it and has it out on the porch. He says there is no way any bugs can get on the porch and bite. He is also right on the water! I wonder where he put it, he has 3 or 4 different ‘grills’ out there. He had two; and, when he married his 5 bosses bought him one of those “Green Eggs” … he loves it; and, his FnL built him another one (or it might have been an ice chest). So he can fry fish in one, cook steaks on another, and hamburgers and hot dogs on the last one. He could really throw a BIG party. But, two of them are too heavy to move anywhere, if he wanted to.

Lillian – Spoiled millenniums. If they did not ‘like’ the house; then don’t like it but don’t *kitten* about it to the owner. How rude! Our first house looked awful when we bought it; there was even ‘old’ food in the cabinets; some ‘rotten’ potatoes, too. But, it has such character and was in an old established neighborhood … we had so much fun redoing it. The stove and refrigerator were free-standing. The stove we bought was the first one with the solid top and burners under it; when we moved Sears bought it back for more than we had paid for it. Our next house (when we got transferred) was a ranch house. Did not have to do much to it, a little paint and new wallpaper in nursery (one wall) and bathrooms. Next house (transferred) was a ‘new’ one and we had so many problems with it that we ended up taking the builder to court over it. The problem was ‘finally’ solved after we had sold it. Next house (transferred) when houses were a ‘seller’s market’; so we bought it from some friends of my sister and brother-in-law who were moving to California. Not the 'nicest' neighbor; but, it really had character. We replaced the carpet throughout; finally was able to find wallpaper for the two baths, sheet-rocked in the attic that was 2 steps up from one of the upstairs bedrooms … all toys were kept up there as a playroom. Boys could bring down 3 toys to play with; had to take them back to exchange; and put up at the end of the day.

The kitchen and breakfast area was small; but, large enough for us. Got some ‘really’ cute wallpaper that had vegetables all over it; and, we painted the cabinet a pretty green that was in the wallpaper. Covered the back porch; built two decks, two levels, and then got a big round watering trough that the kids used as a pool. They loved it; they would run around the sides until the water was swirling around and then lay of their backs and float around in it. Parties were special, because they had more kids running around and they took turns floating around on their back; was finally able to afford a house that was ‘bank-owned’ … we only paid about $80K for it in a very nice neighborhood. It was ‘horrible’ on the inside; very dark, almost black paneling and trim work. We painted inside; put new carpet down, found wallpaper that went with the blue and green toiles, tubs, and sinks … found two that had just a small strip in them, painted the kitchen cabinets, added a fireplace, covered the patio, had a hot tub on the patio; and the driveway came in the back off an alley. Most places had alleys behind them. Then we moved out here (I retired) and love our ‘down-sized’ home. Love it, sometimes wish it was 6’ longer and 4’ wider; but, I still love it. Swing on the covered back deck; and we are glassing in the old screen porch off the MBR. STILL WAITING for ‘that door’ that a carpenter that DH works with occasionally has; but, hasn’t had the time to come put it up. GGRRrrrrr!!!!!

Lenora

Another 'novel' ...
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    another summer day,first rain ,now sun and humid.Have an appt with a new ortho dr,hoping to get answers.
    Hugs to all
    jane
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    <3
  • MissDi321
    MissDi321 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just came back from my class--down to 179.6 from 182 (Dr office this past monday) doing something good i hope. Trying to process all the things we are learning. Carbs, proteins, fats...AAGGGHHH!!!! Not getting enough whole grains or veggies. Have to really look and plan better so I am better balanced. Dietitian recommended doing a menu using the "exchange" program. Lots to learn and there is so much other stuff floating around...What REALLY is the best way to eat??? Anyone else trying to figure it all out????
    Diane from PA