Addicted to diet coke.. help :(

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Part of giving it up is the choice to give it up. There may not be many calories in it, and I doubt it causes cancer but re-read how much other unnatural garbage is in 1 serving. Do one of those tests for yourself where you pour the soda on something & watch the corrosive effects at work. It's gross.

I do think the carbonation causes bloating & that the chemicals do something to sabotage your weight loss efforts.

If you're wanting to mimic the effect of soda on your body, be sure the object you're pouring it on has the same physiology as your stomach. Its corrosion of metal, for instance, has no bearing on our bodies unless you're ingesting metal.

And the 'chemicals' don't sabotage weight loss.

It's completely up to an individual on wether they drink sodas/diet sodas or not, but everyone should be aware of the scientific facts.

Yep - not to mention the fact that your body naturally produces hydrochloric acid - it's a main component of gastric acid in one's stomach.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    healthy491 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    doesn't cause weight gain, doesn't cause diabetes, doesn't cause cancer, etc. etc. etc.

The only worry i'd have consuming the amount you're talking about is the damage to your teeth or potential Reflux/Acid symptoms.

Really ? Thanks :) literally EVERYONE tells me how bad it is for my health and that I should stop

The phosphoric acid in Coca Cola could cause osteoporosis by leaching calcium out of bones and weaken teeth by dissolving enamel when consumed in large quantities.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    This thread is full of woo woo posts. It's mind boggling. Alkaline diets, cancer, corrosion, teh chemikalz... holy *kitten*.
    So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
    I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

Nope, nope, nope, nope. All of that is false as hell. Just drink your diet coke and be happy.
    Samanthor wrote: »
    What concerns me isn't the drinking soda, but the lack of water. We need it! If you've never had it regularly your whole life, you probably don't realize what it's like to not be dehydrated, which effects you on both the physical and mental level. I REALLY REALLY think you should try to learn to drink it, even if you start with just a few ounces a day. I think the suggestion above to drink one glass of water for every glass of coke is a good one. I know lots of people flavor their water--maybe you could try that! Or like I said, start with just a few ounces a day and try to work your way up to more. Water is very important to our mental and physical well being--dehydration makes you very crabby--I am urging you to overcome this.
    More nope. Diet soda is mostly water.
    It is hard, as I was addicted too but you can do it! There is nothing but POSITIVES that can come out of putting fewer chemicals in your body be it, food or drinks! Good luck! :)

LOL. Chemicals? Oh deary me.
    Psst. Water is a chemical.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    doesn't cause weight gain, doesn't cause diabetes, doesn't cause cancer, etc. etc. etc.

The only worry i'd have consuming the amount you're talking about is the damage to your teeth or potential Reflux/Acid symptoms.

Really ? Thanks :) literally EVERYONE tells me how bad it is for my health and that I should stop

The phosphoric acid in Coca Cola could cause osteoporosis by leaching calcium out of bones and weaken teeth by dissolving enamel when consumed in large quantities.

I understand the teeth thing and the acids, since the coke is touching teeth but how does this leach calcium out of bones?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Alluminati wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »

I understand the teeth thing and the acids, since the coke is touching teeth but how does this leach calcium out of bones?

The phosphorus quickly enters the bloodstream from the large ingestion of phosphoric acid in Diet Coke/Cola. The body wants a proper ratio of phosphorus and calcium. It pulls calcium from the bones to balance it.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Try a soda stream to carbonate your water and add a little of whatever flavoring you like. I like drinking carbonated water more than still.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited August 2016
    So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
    I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

Coke of all kinds is about as acidic than battery acid (I learned that in a science class). You can use it to clean rust off your car.

http://www.livescience.com/7198-acids-popular-sodas-erode-tooth-enamel.html

Don't tell yourself that you hate water -- give yourself a more positive message. Become a water freak. Put chilled bottles of water in your fridge. Try water with a slice of lemon or lime over ice. Buy yourself a gorgeous water bottle and carry it everywhere.
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    I quit drinking diet soda about 4 years ago. I had a bone density scan and learned that, despite being heavy my whole life, I was heading to osteoporosis. I learned that the carbonation in sodas contributed to this (something about how it impeded calcium absorption and possibly leached it from the bones) so that was enough to get me to stop drinking it. I still miss it at times (the sound of an ice cold can of diet coke when the tab is pulled off...lol!) but I now love iced tea and water with lemon slices. I'm also more focused on healthy food/beverage choices and am glad to be free of the diet soda addiction. And, I save a lot of money since I no longer buy lots of soda.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    My daily treat is 2 cans of Diet Coke with lime - yum!! My Doctor said this is a perfectly healthy treat. 4 liters might be a tad high - I agree with others who suggest backing this down a bit and alternating with a different beverage? My first thought is getting quality sleep with all that caffeine in your system might be hard, but I know folks who drink coffee before bed....

Regarding water making you sick: I would have laughed at that a couple of years ago - not so much anymore. When we go to Florida, the water is ghastly - TONS of chlorine are probably needed to keep the much-warmer water clean and safe - but for me, used to drinking ice-cold Michigan well water - it tastes like I dipped the cup in the community swimming pool. So you might have "stuff" in your water that either needs to be filtered out, or disguised with flavoring?

At any rate - enjoy your Diet Coke :-)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

All of this, plus drinking 4 liters a day is a considerable amount of caffeine each day. I haven't seen any evidence that it slows down metabolism, but it might be a good idea to try to moderate your intake a bit more. I personally drink 1 can a day, and it hasn't affected weight loss one bit.

You haven't seen any evidence that it slows down "metabolism" because it doesn't. Caffeine is a stimulant, like diet pills (which are used as appetite suppressants). If anything, it would be likely to increase your calorie burns by increasing activity (although that is not the same thing as changing your metabolism).
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Nah it's fine, although 4 litres might be overkill, purely from a dental and caffeine point I'd view. But it wont effect weight loss, if anything it can be an aid as caffeine will help to suppress the appetite and the sweetness can help with cravings.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Thanks everyone :) i decided that I did a lot of changes and sacrificed to lose and maintain weight. I started eating veggies and fruits even tho I used to hate them , started doing cardio everyday along with strength training even though I hate it etc. I am not willing to give up something like diet coke which keeps me sane and helps me stay within my daily calories. I am gonna keep drinking diet cola BUT will definetly look for low calorie mixers to mix with water so I'd be drinking a bit less soda and more water :)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    As someone who drinks upward of 100oz of water per day, I am absolutely baffled that water, a liquid which tastes pretty much like nothing if you use even the cheapest of filters, can be "disgusting". I imagine, like the fruits and veggies you used to hate, you would adapt to drinking more water once it became a habit.