400 calories in a bagel???

Options
124»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My manager bought us bagels this morning from Panera. Great use of 550 calories (chocolate chip bagel plus cream cheese).
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    noah's bagels says there's 290 calories in a 106 gram egg bagel. my kids eat noah's, and i doubt they've ever made a 106 gram bagel.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I was pretty surprised a few months ago that the bagel I got from Tim Horton's ended up being 330 calories for 113 g 12 grain bagel. I knew people always said they were high in calories but I didn't realize just how high. I only really ate them as a treat, and wasn't logging cheat days in the past.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    My manager bought us bagels this morning from Panera. Great use of 550 calories (chocolate chip bagel plus cream cheese).

This reminds me of my favorite all time bagel.

wholebagel.jpg

Einsteins Bros Bagels-
    chocolate chip
    Toasted
    with butter

MMMMM butter is my favorite bagel topping because the inside soaks it up and it gets all soft on the inside, crisp on the outside.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That's why bagels are the crappiest meal of all time...they're delicious but not really worth it...I'm always hungry about an hour later. I have one every once in awhile because I adore bagels and locks with cream cheese...but yeah, for the calories I could have something far more satisfying.

Actually, I had that bagel with 50g of lox cream cheese at 7am then went on that 8.5 miles hike and I didn't even need a snack until half through (a clif bar)... and even then I was fine until 2.30pm. But I guess that how filling a food is always depends on the time of the month for me anyway...

Try eating a plain bagel and see if you get hungry soon after. It doesn't happen to me, but I feel that's what @cwolfman13 was trying to say. There's a big difference in satiety of a plain bagel vs a bagel with toppings, even simple butter/margarine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

wholebagel.jpg

Einsteins Bros Bagels-
    chocolate chip
    Toasted
    with butter

MMMMM butter is my favorite bagel topping because the inside soaks it up and it gets all soft on the inside, crisp on the outside.

I haven't been to an Einstein's in years but this pic brings back memories of when there was one right before I got on the highway for my commute to work... I used to get cream cheese but they so over did it with their schmears that I switched to butter and was so much happier....
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A plain bagel from dunkin has 310 calories...I eat those sometimes....
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    On weekends, I like to have one Noah's bagel (290 calories) with an ounce of lox (100) calories and two tablespoons of cream cheese (100 calories), a slice of tomato (3 calories), a tbsp of capers (2 calories) and a slice of red onion (4 calories)--a 500 calorie breakfast--and the bike it off with an hour of bike riding.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's an easy mistake to make! Lots of people are stunned by the calories!
    There's other threads about bagel calories and how they've been shocked by the calories in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10306196/gah-guess-i-underestimated-those-for-3-years

Haha. Totally forgot about that. I guess it shows how often I actually eat bagels :(

It's ok though, I had a 8.5 miles hike.

When I clicked the link, I was like, WTF?

Now, after reading the reply, I'm like, LOL.
  • campbellbx
    campbellbx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't know where your from but I buy hovis bagel thins there is only 120 calories in them so I use them instead of bread there great
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I live on the west coast and so I pretty much never eat bagels since they all suck here, but I was just in NYC and when I'm there I always eat tons, they're just so delicious. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me they had 1000 calories though, they are huge! 300-400 is probably still small-ish to normal sized.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My store has mini-bagels, prob about 1/4 the size and 105 cals, but still tasty enough to satisfy!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I bought some bagels at a local shop, weighed mine (egg bagel, 147g), then logged it... Using the MFP's generic 'egg bagel' entry... 409 calories.

Yikes.

Doesn't that sound a bit extreme for a bagel? It's not even that big! This is why I only eat them when I have a craving, I guess...

Not at all. I don't think most people have any idea how calorie-ladden bagels are - especially the ones bought in a shop - they are MUCH larger than the packaged ones.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like a good bagel but after I eat one (doesn't matter what flavor/kind), my body craves a nap! Those things make me comatose ...
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yep. Eating a bagel is about like eating a brownie.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's an easy mistake to make! Lots of people are stunned by the calories!
    There's other threads about bagel calories and how they've been shocked by the calories in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10306196/gah-guess-i-underestimated-those-for-3-years

Haha. Totally forgot about that. I guess it shows how often I actually eat bagels :(

It's ok though, I had a 8.5 miles hike.

Then you sir have earned two bagels
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

wholebagel.jpg

Einsteins Bros Bagels-
    chocolate chip
    Toasted
    with butter

That looks almost like the bagel I got at Dulles when I was flying out last year *drools*
  • ErikaHope203
    ErikaHope203 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever eat bagels b/c the calorie count is so high, BUT I do love bagels...So I'll treat myself once in a while or I'll eat only half or scoop it out...nothing like a fresh NY bagel! :)