Why does everybody detest low carb diets? They are the only thing that works for me

Options

Replies

• ptitscargot
    ptitscargot Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate it cause it is too hard :/
    I love carbs... and I know I should eat less... and I try. I've even tried the zucchini spaghetti... but.. I mean... it is not the same. I like it, but please... don't call it spaghetti, it breaks my heart!.
    Open to any advice though :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I love carbs... and I know I should eat less... and I try. I've even tried the zucchini spaghetti... but.. I mean... it is not the same. I like it, but please... don't call it spaghetti, it breaks my heart!.

Why do you feel you need to eat less carbs? What are your goals? Do you have a medical reason to restrict carbs?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Why do you feel that way? Are you overeating in general?
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @ptitscargot - I hear you. I'm not saying spiralized vegetable "noodles" can't be tasty and there aren't good recipes that use them, but they're never going to replace pasta for me.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Here are my theories:
    1. They detest things they don't understand
    2. People foo foo anything that doesn't align with their own beliefs/ways
    3. When they see a low carb thread their eyes light up because they know a debate is forthcoming and want to be involved.
    4. They believe carbs affect EVERYBODY equally.
    5. They can not fathom reducing their carbs and thinks anyone who does this is cray cray
    6. They complain about the influx of low carb posts, but make sure they click on, and are involved in each and every one of those threads.

I'm not a supporter of veganism, vegetarianism, paleo, carnivorous diet, High carb/low fat yada yada, but if people want to follow those ways of eating it is none of my business or concern, and i wont be getting my knickers in a twist teaching them the error of their ways. To be honest, i rarely even click on those threads, because i have NO experience with any of them and have no interest in them either.

while i agree with most of what you said "teaching someone the error of their ways" was.. a bit much. Especially people who are vegan for ethical reasons (really thats an error)? There is no such thing as "the error of ones ways" when it comes to diet. Just because it doesnt work for you doesnt mean its an error. I dont eat pig because i have a pet pig. no error there its a choice.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Here are my theories:
    3. When they see a low carb thread their eyes light up because they know a debate is forthcoming and want to be involved.
    5. They can not fathom reducing their carbs and thinks anyone who does this is cray cray
    6. They complain about the influx of low carb posts, but make sure they click on, and are involved in each and every one of those threads.

I'm not a supporter of veganism, vegetarianism, paleo, carnivorous diet, High carb/low fat yada yada, but if people want to follow those ways of eating it is none of my business or concern, and i wont be getting my knickers in a twist teaching them the error of their ways. To be honest, i rarely even click on those threads, because i have NO experience with any of them and have no interest in them either.

I tend to agree with you. I get the same reactions when I discuss gluten free.

Also to address the OP. I think LCHF (and subsequently any other diet) can be a very valuable tool if the person can follow it. I have seen it benefit many people with medical issues and many others who have a propensity to feeling satiated by fat. I feel it's magic to those who enjoy it, just like I feel the diet that has helped me lose 50 lbs (flexible dieting) has been magic to me.

I don't know...I don't like low carb personally esp if people are doing a "diet" and I will let them know my experience with it and how I feel it will probably turn out for them...esp if it's a "diet"

Do I understand low carb yup...do I like it? nope would i do it again heck no...

does it work for people sure...and if it does have at but don't diet period...just live life.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Here are my theories:

while i agree with most of what you said "teaching someone the error of their ways" was.. a bit much. Especially people who are vegan for ethical reasons (really thats an error)? There is no such thing as "the error of ones ways" when it comes to diet. Just because it doesnt work for you doesnt mean its an error. I dont eat pig because i have a pet pig. no error there its a choice.

I didn't take it that way, I took it as *them* (the people who have to click on every thread and get involved) wanting to teach the errors.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Here are my theories:

I didn't take it that way, I took it as *them* (the people who have to click on every thread and get involved) wanting to teach the errors.

maybe i read what she said wrong but she said quote "'m not a supporter of veganism, vegetarianism, paleo, carnivorous diet, High carb/low fat yada yada, but if people want to follow those ways of eating it is none of my business or concern, and i wont be getting my knickers in a twist teaching them the error of their ways." so im taking it as her not getting her knickers in a twist to teach one the errors of their ways. I have a masters in nutrition and i wont ever TELL someone how to eat or what they are doing is wrong. choosing a diet that works for you and is essentially healthy there is NO error regardless of how you feel about it. isnt that the point? we all eat whatever we want and make diets work for ourseleves.
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me...
    1. It's too limiting and unrealistic to maintain long term. I've gone low carb many times, successfully, but always gained it back and then some because I would fall out of ketosis much more easily than most people. One slip and it would take me 2 weeks to get back into ketosis. 2 weeks wasted over a couple french fries. Yes. My metabolism sucks. Not worth it.
    2. Every time I did it I felt physically ill. Even if I was in ketosis for weeks at a time I never got over the "ketosis flu." I'd continue to feel worse and worse and worse. If it makes me feel that bad it can't possibly be that good for me.
    3. Vitamin deficiencies. To me, if a diet is leaving me deficient in vital nutrients to the point that I have to rely on supplements to fulfill those needs its not worth it.
    4. Plateaus. When I eat a healthy, clean, balanced diet with 1 cheat meal a week to boost my metabolism... I don't hit them. Ever. The longest I go without losing on the scale is 48 hours and a little water retention and constipation is usually the culprit. I cant still eat and enjoy everything in moderation so what's the point in limiting myself? On the flip side when I have low carb dieted.... I'd hit plateaus regularly that seem to last forever which is very discouraging.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Here are my theories:

Yes,that's how I meant it. I absolutely do not think veganism or vegetarianism or any other ways of eating are wrong, I have mucho respect for vegans especially, and I've said it many times on the boards here.

@fishshark "error of their ways" meant someone coming into a low carb, or any woe eating thread saying stuff like:

You Don't have to go low carb ya know
    We need carbs to live
    You will put on all the weight you lost when you (fail) go back to eating carbs

I don't really need to go on, just click on any one of the low carb threads here and you'll see what i mean.

I'm not singling out just Low carb threads, this happens on many other woe threads too. Just let people be, it is NOT up to any of us to change peoples minds or "try to teach them the error of their ways", just because we would never contemplate doing it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lots of times the thread is "should I go low carb," however, and there I think weighing in with an opinion is what's asked for. I always find it odd on those threads when people start complaining that commenters aren't being "supportive" of the "decision" to go low carb when they were directly asked for an opinion.

For the record, I generally say to try it if interested. I'm quite supportive of trying different macros and ways of eating and experimentation, even though LCHF is not my thing. Despite that I get accused of being anti LCHF, which I never understand, and suggests that anything other than "rah, rah! everyone should be doing it!" is being taken as being anti, which is weird.

Also, I find it ironic that people complain about others not being pro LCHF, when LCHF people go into other threads and tell OPs to reduce their carbs or sugars or that carbs are unhealthy all the time. But eh. I just hate evangelism of all stripes, especially nutritional. (I also get accused of being anti vegan when the truth is I'm pretty pro vegan -- just hate vegan proselytizing because proselytizing.)
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    kimirayray wrote: »
    I listened to my doctor when she said - cut back on your fat and carbs. I had high triglycerides and a mild fatty liver reading. I did this for a month and lost 10 pounds and blood work came back normal. I am keeping up with it as I need to lose 30 pounds. I have 50 to 75 carbs per day and about 20 grams of fat. I don't feel deprived at all. I have occasional days where I eat a little more, but am consistently losing weight slowly. Now to start exercising!

I am diabetic. I had fatty liver deposits as well..My Dr. did not say anything at all about low fat/ low carbs..not a word.

He said. "Put on Your Shoes" meaning..get active and do something..anything. Lose weight, eat less, exercise more.

I have listened to him. I eat plenty of Carbs..not so much fat. He did not specify anything at all about my diet..other than eat less.

I have lost 74 pounds since March 1st. I am on NO Meds. My BP was 111/71 and my liver tests came back great.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You mean Peewee Herman? adujqznyunif.jpeg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just noticed the "extremely low calorie" part of the question which explains why your friends and family as well as online communities "freak out". It's not the low carb part that freaks them out (low carb diets are quite trendy and aren't very likely to raise eyebrows), it's the extremely low calorie part. And yes, they are all right. It's NOT healthy. Even in cases where it's warranted, it's usually used in morbidly obese people for whom the benefits of fast weight loss outweigh the risks, and it's usually done in a supervised setting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Lots of times the thread is "should I go low carb," however, and there I think weighing in with an opinion is what's asked for. I always find it odd on those threads when people start complaining that commenters aren't being "supportive" of the "decision" to go low carb when they were directly asked for an opinion.

For the record, I generally say to try it if interested. I'm quite supportive of trying different macros and ways of eating and experimentation, even though LCHF is not my thing. Despite that I get accused of being anti LCHF, which I never understand, and suggests that anything other than "rah, rah! everyone should be doing it!" is being taken as being anti, which is weird.

Also, I find it ironic that people complain about others not being pro LCHF, when LCHF people go into other threads and tell OPs to reduce their carbs or sugars or that carbs are unhealthy all the time. But eh. I just hate evangelism of all stripes, especially nutritional. (I also get accused of being anti vegan when the truth is I'm pretty pro vegan -- just hate vegan proselytizing because proselytizing.)

Based on the LCHF person I am training, I resemble the bold. I supposed people see me correcting misinformation as being against the diet (interesting enough, I am for all diets with the exception of starvation diets; this includes overly restrictive diets such as Paleo, Whole 30, etc...). And if you look in many LCHF/KETO, I provide people with foundational information to get them started right (i.e., increase sodium consumption). And while I don't and can't live a low carb lifestyle, I still need knowledge of it because my wife needs to be LCHF with her medical conditional.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just noticed the "extremely low calorie" part of the question which explains why your friends and family as well as online communities "freak out". It's not the low carb part that freaks them out (low carb diets are quite trendy and aren't very likely to raise eyebrows), it's the extremely low calorie part. And yes, they are all right. It's NOT healthy. Even in cases where it's warranted, it's usually used in morbidly obese people for whom the benefits of fast weight loss outweigh the risks, and it's usually done in a supervised setting.

I am guessing that was a typo based on the example. But if the OP did mean calorie, then it could be a completely different ballgame.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    it's all a personal preference. I love low carb diets. Our bodies aren't designed to take in the amount of sure we normally consume. it's simply poison. when i'm trying to lean out i usually cut my carbs down in the 25-30 net carbs per day.
    Normal for the average person in Asian would be 75-100g. And for some reason they aren't "poisoning" themselves since they are still alive years later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

kimirayray wrote: »
    I listened to my doctor when she said - cut back on your fat and carbs. I had high triglycerides and a mild fatty liver reading. I did this for a month and lost 10 pounds and blood work came back normal. I am keeping up with it as I need to lose 30 pounds. I have 50 to 75 carbs per day and about 20 grams of fat. I don't feel deprived at all. I have occasional days where I eat a little more, but am consistently losing weight slowly. Now to start exercising!
    This statement always makes me chuckle. You're not deprived of "hunger", but what about being able to actually eat carb laden foods you enjoy? Like ice cream, or cake or pie? You shun it off because of low cravings, but I've seen many a low carber look at people eating cake and ice cream and then say "man they are going to get fat from all that stuff" even if the people are lean. Lol, I've had it said to me many times. So could it be "hating" that some can do it with no negative outcomes?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png