Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Dear English Cousins,

Many Americans have, in fact, watched a movie or two. Some of us have read books, including the classics. Lots of these are required reading in public high school. Our children know about Harry Potter. We understand about jumpers and trainers and chips and crisps.

Some of us are even capable of using Google if we forget how many pounds are in a stone. :)

Among my friends, there is great sadness right now about Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Our cultures are connected; there is more understanding than misunderstanding...really!

What is your problem? This thread was 100% goofing around, having fun and talking about cultural foods.
    Then you came in all uptight with your nose in the air and messed it up. Get over yourself.

Let's see I can google jumpers and get search results about sweaters or I can engage in a fun, enlightening and enjoyable conversation with some really cool, fun people. I choose the latter.

Brits, did I offend any of you for not knowing some things about your culture or have you enjoyed this lighthearted thread as much as I have?

Not in the least bit offended. I'm only offended when one of you asks if Scotland is in England.............. :p (It's not, by the way).

Scotland is in the United Kingdom. England, Great Britain, United Kingdom, ........
  • spondypete
    spondypete Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just wonder how they know that first stone was only 14 lbs? They do come in all kinds of sizes and 14 lbs seems to be not too big of a stone. Certainly not 'Stonehenge' size. HaHa....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Many Americans have, in fact, watched a movie or two. Some of us have read books, including the classics. Lots of these are required reading in public high school. Our children know about Harry Potter. We understand about jumpers and trainers and chips and crisps.

Some of us are even capable of using Google if we forget how many pounds are in a stone. :)

Among my friends, there is great sadness right now about Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Our cultures are connected; there is more understanding than misunderstanding...really!

What is your problem? This thread was 100% goofing around, having fun and talking about cultural foods.
    Then you came in all uptight with your nose in the air and messed it up. Get over yourself.

Let's see I can google jumpers and get search results about sweaters or I can engage in a fun, enlightening and enjoyable conversation with some really cool, fun people. I choose the latter.

Brits, did I offend any of you for not knowing some things about your culture or have you enjoyed this lighthearted thread as much as I have?

Not in the least bit offended. I'm only offended when one of you asks if Scotland is in England.............. :p (It's not, by the way).

I recently got a copy of an ancestor's naturalization record. It says he was a native of "Wales, England" which I found amusing.

In other fun bits, he is required to "renounce all allegiance and fidelity to all and any foreign Prince, Potentate, State or Sovereignity whatever, and particularly to Victoria Queen of Great Britain."

I like the notion that everyone particularly renounced their allegiance to Victoria, but pretty sure it's because he was born in Great Britain and those from Italy, Sweden, etc., had different people in the relevant blank!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Dear English Cousins,

I recently got a copy of an ancestor's naturalization record. It says he was a native of "Wales, England" which I found amusing.

In other fun bits, he is required to "renounce all allegiance and fidelity to all and any foreign Prince, Potentate, State or Sovereignity whatever, and particularly to Victoria Queen of Great Britain."

I like the notion that everyone particularly renounced their allegiance to Victoria, but pretty sure it's because he was born in Great Britain and those from Italy, Sweden, etc., had different people in the relevant blank!

Yes - my mother's great grandparents and uncles/aunts renounced their allegiance to the Russian Empire!

• WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For Americans confused on the whole roasted tater thing, I'm an American - a southerner - and my fiance is a Brit. I can do them.

Just grab some russets. Peel & chop them into ginormous hunks - like thirds - and boil until you can just pierce with a fork. Put them in roasting dish and drizzle with vegetable oil, you don't need fat from the roast meat. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and roast at 400 until browned.

But you are on your own with the haggis. That's just nasty; I won't touch it. And he won't eat grits OR biscuits, so more for me. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Best. Necro thread. Ever.

It so is :bigsmile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For Americans confused on the whole roasted tater thing, I'm an American - a southerner - and my fiance is a Brit. I can do them.

Just grab some russets. Peel & chop them into ginormous hunks - like thirds - and boil until you can just pierce with a fork. Put them in roasting dish and drizzle with vegetable oil, you don't need fat from the roast meat. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and roast at 400 until browned.

But you are on your own with the haggis. That's just nasty; I won't touch it. And he won't eat grits OR biscuits, so more for me. :smile:

Bashing against lid post parr boiling is crucial

Veg oil works but not quite as well as goose fat

No salt and pepper ...

(Lid just autocorrected to 'kid' which gave a whole new meaning to Sunday lunch)
  • hbellis3000
    hbellis3000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Biscuits are much fluffier than scones! Scones are very dense! I love both!
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What does this mean? I seen people say they lost 3-5 stone? What does this mean and how do you know what's what? Please explain!

Seriously? google it
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    After reading through all this, I'm now thoroughly convinced that living in America has me seriously missing out on some really good food. :'(
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    After reading through all this, I'm now thoroughly convinced that living in America has me seriously missing out on some really good food. :'(

But we have tacos.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Biscuits are much fluffier than scones! Scones are very dense! I love both!

No they're not! I keep seeing people saying this and it makes me shudder to think what's being sold as "scones" over there. A scone should always be light, it should be anything but dense. If it is denser than a biscuit, you did it wrong!

From my perspective, an American biscuit is a type of scone. From the American side, a scone should be a type of biscuit - leaner, sometimes slightly sweetened or fruited, but the same species. It should not be some kind of sugar laden hockey puck.
  • metalellie1
    metalellie1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Some people know what a scone is, some don't. I'm not offended nor do I think all Americans are ignorant just because they've never noticed their existence before. Had I never been to America or watched too many Disney vlogs on Youtube I probably wouldn't know what funnel cake is, it's not a big deal.

As an aside. Those scones in Starbucks are a bastardisation of the real deal so not really a good comparative. Much like most foods adopted by another culture.

This is just some light hearted fun about the differences we all notice or come across. I've also lived overseas and experienced other differences (seriously UK, we need to adopt the New Zealand wonder of the roast dinner take away[/b]).

If you live near Rugby you can get a roast dinner delivered! https://www.facebook.com/rugbyroastdinners/
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Roast dinner takeaway sounds amazing!

I love those stalls you sometimes find in England that sell roast pork sandwiches with gravy and crackling and apple sauce. Completely amazing. I've never seen one here (Scotland) but when my friend lived in the Midlands there was one along the street from her. Just fabulous.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Nooo! It's got to be lard (or goose fat), and the lard has to be heated in a roasting tin before you add the spuds. When the lard is smoking hot, tip in the spuds, spoon the hot fat over them and return them to the oven.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

Nooo! It's got to be lard (or goose fat), and the lard has to be heated in a roasting tin before you add the spuds. When the lard is smoking hot, tip in the spuds, spoon the hot fat over them and return them to the oven.

My grandma used to make pork roast with roasted potatoes, the potatoes were roasted in the same pan with the pork, so they used pork fat. The potatoes were put in part way through the cooking. They were delicious. Not duck fat, but very yummy.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    After the par boiling and rattling of the spuds a very well seasoned tablespoon of plain flour added before another shake give extra crispy bits, which are, of course, the best bits of a good roastie.

You have to do Yorkshire puddings if you are doing roasties though, and the rules for both are make twice as many as you need because they both rock cold!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    After the par boiling and rattling of the spuds a very well seasoned tablespoon of plain flour added before another shake give extra crispy bits, which are, of course, the best bits of a good roastie.

You have to do Yorkshire puddings if you are doing roasties though, and the rules for both are make twice as many as you need because they both rock cold!

And it still won't be enough.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

But we have tacos.

And Oreos.