Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    After reading through all this, I'm now thoroughly convinced that living in America has me seriously missing out on some really good food. :'(

But we have tacos.

And Oreos.

All day!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    We have Oreos

We also have tacos

But I won't try one on principle now :bigsmile:
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    We have Oreos

We also have tacos

But do you have chipotle? Nope.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Biscuits are much fluffier than scones! Scones are very dense! I love both!

No they're not! I keep seeing people saying this and it makes me shudder to think what's being sold as "scones" over there. A scone should always be light, it should be anything but dense. If it is denser than a biscuit, you did it wrong!

From my perspective, an American biscuit is a type of scone. From the American side, a scone should be a type of biscuit - leaner, sometimes slightly sweetened or fruited, but the same species. It should not be some kind of sugar laden hockey puck.

It depends, though. What others aren't mentioning is that there are multiple main recipes to make biscuits. It's another of those regional things. Some are prized for being crumbly, others for being flaky, and still others for being fluffy or cake-y. Then there's the lard vs butter, WhiteLily flour vs all other flours, cream vs milk, baking powder vs baking soda, etc. There's even one that uses a yeast dough that is super light and fluffy. That one is much lighter than a scone (and I've had proper ones in England :wink: ).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    For the Americans, Yorkshire pudding is the same as the plain version of a popover, if that's not been mentioned yet. I love popovers :smile:

I eat them differently than you'd eat Yorkshire puddings, though. Mine get butter and a drizzle of honey* or a bit of fruit jam inside. Blame Neiman Marcus. They've been serving them with strawberry butter for decades.

* I just remembered that I bought a bottle of ghost pepper-infused honey. I have got to try it with popovers. It was awesome with fried chicken.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options

And it still won't be enough.

And they won't see a new day either. You will suddenly find many reasons you need to pass the fridge that evening. :wink:

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    For the Americans, Yorkshire pudding is the same as the plain version of a popover, if that's not been mentioned yet. I love popovers :smile:

I eat them differently than you'd eat Yorkshire puddings, though. Mine get butter and a drizzle of honey* or a bit of fruit jam inside. Blame Neiman Marcus. They've been serving them with strawberry butter for decades.

* I just remembered that I bought a bottle of ghost pepper-infused honey. I have got to try it with popovers. It was awesome with fried chicken.

:o:p
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Ah gotcha.

What's a popover?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    We have Oreos

We also have tacos

But do you have chipotle? Nope.

I have Chipotle! There's one in Wimbledon, London. Dare I say, I wasn't that fussed.......
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also, I concur about this being the best narco thread ever. I now want scones and clotted cream again.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is the best thread ever. I always assumed that scones were like the ones we have here (sweet).

To make this more confusing... does anyone know what Bannock is? I'm from northern Canada and this is something we enjoy all the time here but I suspect it may be regionally specific
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    These picture don't hurt me cuz my phone is calorie free.
    I could get behind eating a snot block with a tall cup of hot black coffee.

Haha that tall cup of black coffee in Australia is called a long black. Not to be confused with a short black, which is a shot of espresso.

And you all know the flat white, yes?

Enlighten me

Flat white is a white coffee in Australia and NZ. It's a shot of espresso (we don't do brewed here really at all) with steamed milk making up the rest of it. It's a really basic coffee but it seems to have taken the world by storm (or so we have been led to believe), since British cafés started adopting the name and Starbucks has even put it on the menu, which is really weird because Australia is the one market Starbucks couldn't get into (we kind of look down on Starbucks :wink: )

sa79x3mlv091.jpg

I do miss my NZ coffee. I was even trained by Lavazza while I was living there so I'm always disappointed with coffee here. I live in an area with about a thousand coffee shops and none of them make a really really good coffee. Actually, that's a lie, apparently one does but I haven't tried it yet, must sort that out.

Me too, I was trained by Burtons in NZ and nothing in the UK comes close, seriously people just can't make coffee in this country!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    We have Oreos

We also have tacos

What if the monkey butler serves them to you on a silver platter?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    We have Oreos

We also have tacos

What if the monkey butler serves them to you on a silver platter?

Now that I might try

One day monkey butler, one day ...you will be mine, oh yes
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I want a monkey butler to bring me a popover.

What's a popover?
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    After reading through all this, I'm now thoroughly convinced that living in America has me seriously missing out on some really good food. :'(

But we have tacos.

So do we.
    Thanks to you.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned greasy fish and chips?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    This is the best thread ever. I always assumed that scones were like the ones we have here (sweet).

To make this more confusing... does anyone know what Bannock is? I'm from northern Canada and this is something we enjoy all the time here but I suspect it may be regionally specific

Scones are usually sweetened, but only slightly. The sweetness is meant to come from the jam or whatever. You also get savoury scones.

Bannock is a Scots term, basically meaning a round, flattish loaf of bread, often soda bread or barley bread. It can also mean the large round from which oatcakes or potato scones are cut - the round is a bannock, the quarters are farls. I believe the term in Canada is used to refer to a kind of flat soda bread traditional to the native Indian community?

Chemical leavening is in any case an invention of North American Indians, and I like the idea that the technology travelled East across the Atlantic while the word travelled West.

• Carlos_421
    edited August 2016
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

But we have tacos.

So do we.
    Thanks to you.

You're welcome.

ETA: As much as I'd like to take credit, I did not invent the taco.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned greasy fish and chips?

Something Brits definitely do right.