Losing weight and not needing to weigh food

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I actually eyeballed everything until I got closer to goal - I had to start weighing foods then if I was to see scale budge.

However now been at maintenance over 3 yrs and back to not needing to weigh foods again as I know portion size by eyeballing -I'm really good at it, the other day I poured 30g of Special k into bowl and for the heck of it weighed it....29g!! How good am I Lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What problem?

And helpful hint -- if you post that in every thread you are going to seem like a spammer.
  • lurline27
    lurline27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food either. I drink a Premier Protein chocolate shake each morning so I know how many ounces is in that. I looked up and created MyFitnessPal chart so the things that I put in the shake I know exactly what I'm putting into me. I checked my fitness pal app quite a few times today when I enter my breakfast my lunch my snacks just to see how much of a portion I should have or how many crackers is acceptable Etc things like that. I don't think you have the weigh everything you eat, you just have to pay attention to how much you're eating. I mean come on if you were going to have a po boy instead of getting the 16-inch one you might could get away with 11 inch one. If I did that I cut back a little bit the next day
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lurline27 wrote: »
    I don't weigh my food either. I drink a Premier Protein chocolate shake each morning so I know how many ounces is in that. I looked up and created MyFitnessPal chart so the things that I put in the shake I know exactly what I'm putting into me. I checked my fitness pal app quite a few times today when I enter my breakfast my lunch my snacks just to see how much of a portion I should have or how many crackers is acceptable Etc things like that. I don't think you have the weigh everything you eat, you just have to pay attention to how much you're eating. I mean come on if you were going to have a po boy instead of getting the 16-inch one you might could get away with 11 inch one. If I did that I cut back a little bit the next day

Weighing is one way to *tell* how much you're eating, one that works for those of us who aren't so good at eyeballing portions. The choices aren't "weigh" or "pay attention to how much you're eating." Weighing is literally just a way to pay attention to how much you're eating.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I see some people making a 2nd job out of measuring and weighing. When I lost 100 lbs in 2 - 3 years. I didn't weigh my food once. I'm not saying it's not helpful at times. I did have an idea of my measurements (a cup of food was my most common) but eating healthy and giving myself alittle kcal cushion was what worked. I feel sorry for those people that weigh everything, all the time.

I know when you are closer to your goal weight it can make more of a difference. But after gaining back the weight I lost (in a 2 year span, for reasons like not logging at all) I have been able to lose another 30 lbs, still not weighing.

I think sometimes people make too much of a deal about measuring. Has anyone measured their food and logged
    routinely for 8+ years?

My concern is my goal, to eat healthy and do what I need to to lose weight and than keep it off, and be able to keep that up for decades (i.e. the rest of my life). I can't imagine weighing food for so long.

I thought, after losing 100 lbs, I had an idea of portions, but it turns out I did not if I wasn't logging my food.

Don't feel sorry for us mate.

Weighing works for me and many others, if your method works for you then great stick with it. I will say I have never lost then gained and had to lose again weighing and counting :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not looking for answers here.... Trying to talk to the people that think, when they plateau, their only out is measuring, but it seems to be a pain so they give up. Or newbies that feel pressured. If you don't think that is an issue. Move along. There is nothing to see here.

You posted this in the debate section. If you didn't want people to debate with you, perhaps that was a poor choice?

No one here says you MUST use a food scale to lose weight. But when someone isn't losing and doesn't know why, checking their numbers by weighing their portions would seem to be a logical reply, wouldn't it? What should we tell them "You're probably eating more than you think. Try eyeballing your portions better, and good luck!"?

As Dianne said, I love numbers and lists and trying to Tetris my way into a good number of calories. It's fun! And I'm a healthy weight! And I'm not struggling to maintain! And I eat ice cream and pizza! Don't feel sorry for me, I'm good :)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Please note: as this is the last time I will say it. I HAVE SAID THAT I UNDERSTAND THAT WEIGHING FOOD WORKS FOR YOU, THAT'S SUPER! I have said nothing against people that weigh food, I really haven't, if you look at what I've posted. I have said that sometimes there seems to be pressure to only weigh food, and that is not needed to lose weight. I wanted to let people know that it is not necessary, to weigh food, to lose weight. IF YOU DECIDE TO LOSE WEIGHT BY WEIGHING, GOOD FOR YOU. Stop bugging me on this post.

I know what I'm talking about because I lose 100 lbs. I gained it back because I stopped counting calories and had other life issues not relating to estimating food.

But are you at goal weight now? Did you get to a BMI in the healthy range when you lost 100lbs? Are you a petite woman with little room for margin of error?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight by not measuring or weighing my food. But I could never really get to goal and I couldn't figure out why. Well, the why is b/c I'm 5'1 and my margin of error had whittled away to nonexistent. Weighing my food is the only way that I have found that will get me to my goal weight. It's also not that hard and takes moments. Place container on scale, spoon out peanut butter until it hits the amount of grams I want, the end. Now, I can pretty much eye ball the peanut butter, but sometimes that amount is a few grams too high or a few grams too low. Peanut butter is too calorie dense to play with, plus I want all of the food I can have. I don't want to skimp at all.

Now, I refuse to travel with a scale. I won't take it with me on vacation, I won't take it with me on my weekly visits to my grandparents, and I will not take it with me to a restaurant. That's when I eyeball, hope for the best, and realize that as long as I get back on track the next day or next meal, everything will even out.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This post is still a thing?

Anyway I posted it here because I knew there would be a debate. No, I don't think you need to weigh food. However, if that's your thing, than good for you. You're taking your health into your hands and getting results.

But for those that want to give up.... you have other choices. That is my point. Please read my posts before responding. And no, I did not write the original post as a dissertation, so yeah, it may not have conveyed every point I meant.

In 5 years, let me know if your still weighing your food. 5 years! I will save this post and come back to it than and you can tell me all about how weighing food is sooooo important.... 5 years from now. August 24, 2021.
  • cee134
    Options

Anyway I posted it here because I knew there would be a debate. No, I don't think you need to weigh food. However, if that's your thing, than good for you. You're taking your health into your hands and getting results.

But for those that want to give up.... you have other choices. That is my point. Please read my posts before responding. And no, I did not write the original post as a dissertation, so yeah, it may not have conveyed every point I meant.

In 5 years, let me know if your still weighing your food. 5 years! I will save this post and come back to it than and you can tell me all about how weighing food is sooooo important.... 5 years from now. August 24, 2021.

But do you still feel sorry for those of us who choose to weigh our food?

Yes and no. Yes but no. I stand by my, tell me after 5 years of weighing. I will happily retract my statement.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

It's been 4 years and I still feel it's important for me to weigh into the next year...what did you want to say again? Or does that not count because it's only 4 years?
  • cee134
    Options
    Also, I didn't realize that one little sentence I wrote, when I was feeling it, was a thing people would get hung up on.... really I didn't. So if it matters. No I don't feel sorry for anyone that weighs food. Happy?
  • cee134
    Options
    I would still like to know where people stand after 5 years.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would still like to know where people stand after 5 years.

What's the difference between weighing for 4 years and weighing for 5? I'm perfectly happy doing it and have been successful at maintaining so why do I deserve your pity? What's the difference of a year?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have been weighing my food 2 years, so ya, I will let you know in three. Good luck with your maintenance.
  • cee134
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I have been weighing my food 2 years, so ya, I will let you know in three. Good luck with your maintenance.

:) Please do.
  • cee134
    Options
    I have been on MFP since 2011, I am not going anywhere unless this site disappears. Please tell me I'm wrong in 5 years. I would love to learn something new. I don't think it will happen though.
This discussion has been closed.