Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How important is fitness to you?

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    I dont get the point of striving to have a nice physique and then not enjoying it by going out and just participating in life.

The nice physique is a side-effect of getting to a healthier weight and overall health, not the major driver - at least in my case.

So how is rejecting to socialize and going to the gym exactly healthy?

Some of us didn't socialize before the gym. It's just provided something for me to do, and has taken away from nothing, other than my excessive time spent playing video games.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I dont get the point of striving to have a nice physique and then not enjoying it by going out and just participating in life.

The nice physique is a side-effect of getting to a healthier weight and overall health, not the major driver - at least in my case.

I'll take "Strawmen" for two hundred Alex!

I work to build strength because it makes the rest of my life easier. I "miss out" on feeling like crap most of the time for an investment of a whole four hours a week of weight room time.

No one else is going to make my health a priority, and if me doing so is "rejecting to socialize" that's just too damned bad.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

I asked a guy out on a date once but he declined because he didn't want to let down his gym buddy. He totally would have gotten laid too. Oh-well, he didn't even have a car so I don't think I missed out on anything.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I asked a guy out on a date once but he declined because he didn't want to let down his gym buddy. He totally would have gotten laid too. Oh-well, he didn't even have a car so I don't think I missed out on anything.

This sounded like me, until you got to the no car part. Though admittedly, it would have been less of a conversation, and more me just staring at you awkwardly for a couple of seconds before turning more red than Che Guevara, and then moving rapidly in the other direction.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

This sounded like me, until you got to the no car part. Though admittedly, it would have been less of a conversation, and more me just staring at you awkwardly for a couple of seconds before turning more red than Che Guevara, and then moving rapidly in the other direction.

Well, we had been emailing (now that I think about it, he might not have even had a cell phone......) and I asked him out over the phone. I was trying to give him directions to the restaurant, but then he said he didn't have a car and that he was going to the gym. I saw him a year later at a bar and made out with him and then left him sitting there unable to get up, lol. I felt a bit vindicated.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Seriously? Thats just annoying haha , I dont think you missed out on anything either !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    It's important enough for me to schedule most things around it. If there's something I have to do during my gym time, then I find another time to get my workout in whether I have to get up earlier or work out much later (I do have a BIOFORCE and suspension trainer in my garage).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a divorce now (should be done by Oct/Nov 2016) ...... I was told (one of the reasons) for the divorce was because I got too overweight for her standards.

I JUST (last week) started my Road to Recovery - the right woman will understand my passion.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Do you mean looking fit or being fit?

Usually go pretty much and in hand for most people.

Meaning, maybe, reality, probably not. Go to any tennis or squash club, for instance. Loads of very fit people sporting beer guts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options

Y'know, I think women are behaving poorly when they skip out of a pre-existing commitment to a female friend, in order to go out with a guy. I'd feel likewise about a guy who'll blow off a commitment to a friend (gym or whatever) in order to go out with a woman.

YMMV . . . clearly.

But this isn't a gym vs. relationships with people question; it's a "being an unreliable jerk instead of an actual friend" question.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Y'know, I think women are behaving poorly when they skip out of a pre-existing commitment to a female friend, in order to go out with a guy. I'd feel likewise about a guy who'll blow off a commitment to a friend (gym or whatever) in order to go out with a woman.

YMMV . . . clearly.

But this isn't a gym vs. relationships with people question; it's a "being an unreliable jerk instead of an actual friend" question.

That's how it seems to me too. Also, if someone has a commitment, why not another night.

Reminds me of when I was an awkward teen and got asked out on my first one-on-one kind of date from a guy I was sort of friends with but wasn't sure about my feelings toward beyond that. My response (while panicking): "um, I'm actually busy that night." His reply, rather coldly: "I didn't mention a particular night." Oops. Didn't do wonders for the relationship, friends or otherwise.
  • Berthony25
    Berthony25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me it just about how far I want to push myself because I really don't think I have ever push myself very far so to me it about the journey more than the results
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Let me get this straight. You are pissed that a guy was reliable and honored his commitments? Good heavens, these are the best men.

Who said I was pissed? lol, don't twist my words. I was disappointed, sure, I mean he did lift weights, I wanted to touch him and....what not.... But he never asked me out after that so I got over it. I thought the story was relevant and a humorous addition to the thread.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Fitness is more important to me than a relationship with a person who deliberately interferes with my fitness. There are exceptions. Sometimes you have to take care of someone instead of going to the gym, whether it's a kid or a partner. That isn't the same as a person who consistently prefers watching TV over going out and doing something active, or someone who denigrates your efforts to improve your health.
  • jtegirl
    jtegirl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Living a fit lifestyle is very important to me. I love the way working out and eating healthy makes me look and feel. I am single, so I'm not really sacrificing anything and I don't work out every day. I love lifting and hate cardio, and luckily lifting does enough for me that I am able to do minimal cardio. I would love a swole mate. Or as a t-shirt on a site I follow on FB says "Cuddles, weights and cheat meal dates" That's what I want. :)
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's my life. Without it, I doubt I'd be around still.
  • d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    kev6686 wrote: »
    The further you get into your journey, undoubtedly you invest more time, money, effort...

I found this particularly true when I first got into the groove of taking fitness seriously, once you get your training, diet and sleep in check. You see your goals can become reality.

It's kind of addictive motoring towards your dream physique and naturally something that takes so much commitment, can also leave you guilty of sacrificing relationships, I know I did, I'd turn down dates or meetings with friends to go and throw some weights around. This was mainly due to knowing that with friends or girls I often went way off track with my diet. Or wouldn't train due to hangovers...

My question is how highly do you prioritise fitness/gym I'm your life?

When you really think about it, is it something you genuinely love and would put before relationships if it came to the point you had to choose?

I used to have to have to fit my life around my gym. Now being elite level fit is not important to me at all. Being healthy is important.

The way I see it is...that 12 week leg programme, or superset hiit schedule are all short term. These are not things I will/can/or want to do for the rest of my life.

Nothing wrong with striving for the ultimate fitness and chiselled physique however I found that at points in my life I also put life to one side for these pursuits. I realise now that these are for most people, temporary states. They do not last forever (life does). My life is not temporary, so I think health, (which is also not a short term thing) should be my main focus over being super fit.

Nothing, absolutely nothing (before I am criticised) is wrong with being super fit. It feels amazing when we 'ACTUALLY' achieve it. Bring healthy is also a good look.

• d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Those who have hindered or not supported me have fallen to the wayside by natural differences. People eventually stop calling when you turn down drinking invites. Which was fine by me. I have a completely different group of (overly amazing) friends these days. Over time changes have been made and my entire outlook on many topics has changed. I don't see this as a problem at all. I am better and happier than where I was.

I can relate to this. Great points!

I ask....when the the new friends lifestyle changes, for whatever reason, and it doesn't fit or support your lifestyle. Will they then fall to the wayside?

I turned down friends who used to invite me out because it didn't fit my previous lifestyle. I lost good people who I should have said, "let's go out but can we go to a restaurant with a healthier menu choice?" "I will drive us home so you guys can drink".

When my friends are not friends because I want to exercise all the time, that's on me. Not them.