Survey NOT a Debate - Exercise Calories

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Yes

I'm in maintenence and have jsut bumped up my daily calories because even tho I eat all or nearly all back, I'm still slightly loosing and I'd prefer to hold this weight.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not eating my exercise calories and yes, I'm losing weight consistently as long as I don't have serious binges. I anticipate that I might need to start eating them back as I get closer to my goal weight, though. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
  • shellrae1973
    shellrae1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1. Sometimes I eat them and sometimes I don't
    2. Yes, I am loosing consistently
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    1. No. When I did eat them the weight did not want to come off

2. Yes. But I have also kicked up my exercise routines.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've always eaten them. Yes, I lost weight and reached my goal eating them. I'm a few above goal now. Maintenance is a tricky thing to master (at least for me), so I'm going back to a small deficit, but I definitely eat all my exercise calories on top of that.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    Yes, I eat them. And yes, I have been consistantly losing .5-1 pound a week.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    1) Not always

2) Not always
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    1. yes
    2. yes and i reached my goal weight
    ^ Same for me.

One note...I wear a HRM while exercising and I compare the number of calories burned shown on my HRM to a formula I found online and I log the lower of the two. I never use MFP's default exercise database.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    No, I don't 98% of the time (if I'm hungrier from strength training I will grab something extra)
    Yes, I am losing.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

im sure we are all well aware that eating back your exercise calories can be a sore topic for some and usually ends in a debate.
    All im wanting to know is 1. Do you eat back your calories 2. Are you losing weight consistently. They only have to be yes and no answers, i don't people getting fired up or upset, just want to get some data on it :happy:

1 - yes, within about 100 cals or so. The odd time I won't but only if I'm really really not hungry.
    2 - yes :-) it tends to come off in flushes though. LIke, 5 lbs really quickly, and then a week or two (or three) of nothing.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    1) Yes - usually leave 50-200 just in case of miscalculation of calories earned. The amount that I leave behind depends on how hungry I am!

2) n/a This is only my second week, but I lost 1 pound on my first week eating this way.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't been eating all of them. On the big days, I have trouble doing that.
    No, I haven't been losing in the last month.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I stopped even recording "exercise" I found that I was recording every min of every walk and it was ridiculous b/c that is just a part of my everyday! I see people on here logging cleaning, cooking, etc. I am a stay at home mom. I walk, cook, clean and carry around a 15 lb load (baby) ALL DAY LONG!!! Any way I was losing both ways- when I was eating calories burned and when I stopped recording.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Kind of, maintain a calorie buffer balance of 100-150. I don't use a HRM to get my calories burned, I use the lesser of either what the equipment says I burned or MFP calories burned.

When I maintain this buffer balance, yes, i am losing 1-2 pounds/week. When I was eating back all my calories, I was maintaining my weight
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    1. Some of them - wasn't before
    2. I do now - wasn't before :)
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    1. Do you eat back your calories 2. Are you losing weight consistently.

1. No - but I should mention that I set my own goals to 1400 calories a day (not MFP default of 1200).

2. Yes - when I'm consistent and I don't eat a bunch of crap like a big dummy :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, most of the time.
    2. Yes, it's slower now that I'm down to the last 10 but I am still losing.

I should probably mention that I lost of the 22 lbs before ever hearing of "eating back your exercise calories" or joining this site. It just turns out that I had been eating most of them back because I was that hungry.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    no I do not bu it is nice to have that wiggle room when you need an extra bite :)
    Just started but I dieted before and never even heard of eating back calories and lost weight. hope it helps
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. I won't unless I am hungry (which happens). I usually never eat every single one of them back though. I am losing weight consistently... about 2 lbs a week.

I've done both ways and I've lost weight both ways. Now I just don't worry about it. If I'm hungry I will if I'm not I won't. I don't stress about it.