WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday. I am still far behind so just going to do the best I can. I had the last 3 days off and work 6-6 today and then off 3 days. DH and I are going out to my mom's to finish up somethings at the house and hoping it will sell soon.
    Weather has really cooled off and love it. Went to the doctor this last Tuesday and he is happy with my blood tests and we talked about my just wanting to eat all the time. He feels maybe my meds are part of the problem. So did this lab test and when he gets the results it will tell him what in my meds need changed. One day at a time.
    Our State fair starts here today. Sure looks like it could rain. We have tickets to go to the Chris Tomlin next Thursday night. Looking forward to that.
    Joyce--I am behind just read where you had the sents put in. Pray you are doing better and feel better.
    Glo--Sending prayers on the new job. Keep me posted on where in Nebraska and we may meet sooner then we know it.
    Barbie--Your day at the doctor and boat ridge sounds like so much fun and relaxing. Congrates on the good news and not having to come back for 6 months.
    Well I made it to the top of page 57. Have a good weekend ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    81824br5uyrfrsr.gifIt was really warm this morning at line dance. I am usually not as warm as everyone else so I thought it wouldn't be a problem. At the "open dance" time before class, I'd been dancing non-stop for almost 45 minutes when I suddenly felt dizzy and sat down and drank about 8 ounces of water. When I got up again I was fine and continued teaching the class for the next 90 minutes with a 15 minute break. I guess I have to pay more attention in the heat. I am always reminding the students to be sure and drink lots of water but I guess I wasn't so good at it myself.

:) Our house guest left this morning and we are so happy to have our house to ourselves. We love being alone with only our pets. Bernie, the cat, can now come out of hiding under the bed.

:)Mary and Carol

1175078irqm1p04x7.gif
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies: Really warm here today. Went to my water exercise class and it felt really good. Farrier is coming this evening to trim the horses' hooves. The Evergreen State Fair started in Monroe yesterday. Traffic on Hwy 2 is awful so we are trying not to go into town for the next 10 days unless we really have to. We can go the long way around to bypass the fair entrance if absolutely necessary.

KarenE - Happy, happy birthday!

Mary and Carol - Happy anniversary!! Nice picture Mary.

Katla - Just like horses don't have to be ridden to bring you joy, boats don't have to be sailed. Just enjoy having it outside your door. Our horses definitely don't get ridden as often as I would like but I love having them right outside the back door.

Rori - Enjoy your time in Hawaii and hope things go smoothly getting the condo ready.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Gandhi Wishing you all strength, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 9.59min, 15.5amph, 133mhr, 2.5mi = 79c
    ROWING MACHINE- 20min, 67aw, 3077meters, 137mhr = 132c
    OTHER- PHYSICAL THERAPY @ gym- 30min, 3sets of 15, 4diff machines, 30-70#'s = 79c
    ride gym 2 dome- 4.56min, 12.7amph, 143mhr, 1mi = 56c
    ride wk 2 hm- 51min, 12amph, 154mhr, 11mi = 478c
    total cal 824
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been a busy day. Started bright and early with me leading the water aerobics class ( regular girl's DH in hospital). Then off to play golff with a friend who is recovering from broken hip then broken leg. She wants to play so badly I just had to go.
    Mary - you look fabulous darling.
    Today was cool (83) for August in TX. Loved it. Saw a story on tv about front loading washers. I have one but haven't had a problem with it. I do leave the door open after each use.
    Had a nic date night with DH tonight.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    SueBDew in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 30 minutes of HIIT today then 15 minutes on the rowing machine. The plan for tomorrow is to do Leslie Sanson's 5 mile Workout DVD.

The guy who does the publicity for Newcomers is going to have a big article in Sunday's paper about it and this guy has invited the writer of the article here tomorrow. I don't know what to make of this. Maybe our pool will be in the paper. But I doubt it.

Exercised then went to Walgreens then Big Lots who had Vince's bread then had to go to Bi-Lo to get more Unsweetened iced tea mix. Came home and made it. I did find that the powdered stuff you need to put in boiling water first then you won't have it stuck to the sides of the container. Brought most of the things we will need for the social upstairs. We're thinking about not having it next year. We've had it for 4 years now, maybe people are getting tired of the same old thing. Got the snacks ready, all that needs to be done is to put them on the tables tomorrow. Got the plates, silverware, etc. ready. Had to find something to hold the silverware in. Had to run to WalMart because I was one bag short for the recyclable and trash containers. I thought I had enough, but I was one short. Well, not a big deal, I'll need the for the Halloween party anyway.

Mary from MN - on that low carb diet, do you have to monitor the carbs in fruits and veges too? Happy Anniversary! You look great!

janetr - the same thing happened to me. We went to this pizza place and I ordered one slice thinking one would be enough. Well, it was falling off the plate! I guess this was a few years ago. It was good, we just haven't been back there.

CJ - a better question for pip is "when do you have time to eat????" About the ceramics at the pool: do you mean what's new this year? Well, my worm and turtle on the log, my dolphin, the mermaid, and, of course, my welcome sign, the starfish, angelfish, and seaturtle are done but Vince doesn't think he'll have time to get those three onto the pergola by the time of the social (I'm sure he won't.)

Lisa - good luck on the sale of the warehouse.

Carroll - those premade shakes are usually high in sugar, too. Unless you get the ones with the sugar substitutes. You're very wise to just eat normally. You won't have those shakes the rest of your life, but you will have regular food. Good for you opting not to have it.

Carol/Peach - happy anniversary to you, too. Are you going to cook the lobster tails in the pressure cooker? Do you have to cut them open first? If so, how do you do it?

Joyce - I'm so sorry your hips gave you such a problem

Karen - I know you didn't ask me, but I find Cathy Friendrich's step DVD's to be too complicated. Her weights DVD's I like. I don't do kickboxing so I can't tell you how they are.

Vicki - enjoy the concert

barbie - they always say to drink water before you exercise, while you are exercising, and then even after you exercise. Glad that's all it was

Just made these salmon cakes so that they can firm up in the refrigerator and I can make them Sunday. Normally, I don't like throwing out food. However, even *I* wouldn't eat these. I followed the recipe but they were just way way too spicy. You couldn't even taste the salmon. So I made another batch. These even if Vince won't eat them, I will.

Michele in NC
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    sceleton-waving-smiley-emoticon.gif back later!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    So you just rub that Voltaren on your hip area???? I wonder how my psoriasis would react to it
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Joyce, sorry your pain is keeping you from a good night’s sleep. That happens to me sometimes but if it’s bad enough I take a pain pill. Feel better, my friend. Don’t be so hard on yourself about needing to use the scooter at Walmart. Please give yourself time!! My DH walks slow, too and it drives me crazy. He always has and now has COPD so that makes it worse. Walking slow hurts my low back worse than moving faster so I normally go off and leave him only to come back in a minute.

KarenE, happy-birthday.gif

Carey, I hope the C-pap machine works well for you. That’s good that you can rent until you know.

MicheleNC, that is funny that Vince now wants to go to the new restaurant again. Men. eat-sandwich.gif

Mary, I never heard of the Paleo flu either so that was interesting information.

Janetr, that is too bad about Jack’s knee! I can’t imagine having a third surgery on it. Sending good thoughts.

Heather, you said, “Just finished my kettlebell swings. On top of my machines, of course!” And in my mind, I pictured you up on top of your machines swinging your kettlebell. My DH says I entertain myself. Lol I agree that it is wonderful that many of us are doing things we never even considered a few years and a number of pounds ago. Life is grand!!

Allie, you mentioned the little sleep but didn’t really say if you enjoyed the concert? I hope you both did.

KarenVA, we know you can start downsizing if you just make up your mind. Feel free to vent a bit here during the process. ((((Hugs))))

Carroll, trust me, we have all wanted to speed up the process at one time or another. You are wise to stick to “real food” and be patient. You’ll get there. (((Hugs)))

Mary, Happy Anniversary!!! Great picture. Wow at those muscles!!!

CarolGA, I hope you had a wonderful Anniversary. I hope the lobster tails turned out good.

Barbie, I’m surprised you don’t drink water often during line dance. I guess part of that is because I drink so much.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Our low humidity is gone but I have to say, other than “very hot” it didn’t seem that bad today. I think of all of you often and send healing thoughts and prayers to those that need them, (((Hugs))) to all that want one and thanks to all of you for sharing your journey with us. I had lunch with a friend today and was telling her about all my friends from all over the country and the world and how I hope to get to meet some of you some day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allie, did you get the tickets you wanted so you could do a meet and greet at the concert?

Tonight I had scrambles egg whites. They looked like really sick mashed potatoes.

Charleen, I wish I lived around you and you could help me quilt. I know there are organizations I can go to but I want an individual. I got into it because I had a good friend that loved to quilt. Her husband and her did many amazing quilts. But he had Parkinson's and the more damage it did, the less he was able to quilt. So we helped each other. He realized he was moving onto his last years and wanted to go back to his home in Arkansas so that's what they did. And he was right, he died about a month ago. She was one of the most amazing women I know. She was a fellow nurse and when I had to quit while she was still working. Now because of my husbands griping about conditions there, I just took it with a grain of salt. I had another good friend that had an attitude that was just like his. But when Carolyn started complaining, I knew it was bad at work.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary: Wow! That is an amazing selfie. Beautiful! Are you sure you're in the right age group here? 50+????? Happy Anniversary! :flowerforyou:

Carol: Happy 47th! :heart:

Barbie: I'm glad you & Jake enjoyed your time together today. :smiley:

Sue: You have a good understanding of how I feel about the boat. Horses are beautiful in the pasture & the boat is lovely in its slip. That is something to savor and enjoy. :flowerforyou:

Gloria in WA: I love your little guy waving his arm off. :laugh:

Charleen: The clan quilt is gorgeous. :star:

I had a call from one of my favorite cousins this evening. She and her daughter are in Portland to get the things they put in storage when they moved to CA earlier in the year. I am hoping we'll get to meet for a meal before they head south. We'll see how it goes.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Ok I’ll try to read some of the almost 500 posts…but I had a great 4 day vacation camping in Fort Bragg (northern coast of California) about 5 hours drive north of me…for the googlers… rode the Skunk Train, visited glass beach, spent a day at the Mendocino Botanical Gardens…. It was amazing, but on both the good and bad was I had NO cell service… so no logging, no calls, no text, I kinda loved it…

Saw the notes about camping – so to clarify I camped 4 nights in a tent, cooked on a butane camping stove, this camp ground had nice bathrooms (flush toilets, cold water only sinks with mirrors and power outlets in the bathroom, they have showers with hot water- that run with quarters) The bathrooms were about a block down from our campsite.

can someone remind me how to get my logging days reset?

Lisa – sending good thoughts and virtual hugs

Pip = Twinkie (wink) what a fun nick name

Marion431 – being a “slave to the tracker” is my goal….

Finished page 52….

August Goals:
    2 fun things a week, visiting with college prof, walking tour of tea gardens, birthday hike, learning to set and catch a gopher, planning camping trip, dinner at a new Chinese restaurant, trying coffee beer. 4 fab! Days of camping

Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    late-night-moon-waving-goodbye-smiley-emoticon.gif night all
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank you for the anniversary wishes and the nice things said about my transformation! I would not have been as successful without your support and motivation! We are all very fortunate to have had Barbie create this thread for us to become such good friends!

Michele- Yes, you have to monitor all carbs. It is best to eat veggies, berries, watermelon, and cantaloupe for your carbs. A sweet potato 1-2 times a week. 70 % fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs around 30g of carbs is recommended but can go up to 50g on higher intensity workout days. what I like about this diet is that you can eat bacon, full fat dairy, butter, mayonnaise, deviled eggs, hot dogs, ribs, food fried in healthy fat and yes, butter is considered healthy fat, most everything that I like except sugar! And a lot more calories! Supposedly, if you stick to this diet you don't even have to count calories. I don't know if I would attempt to do that. I do know that I eat a lot more food than before. I haven't weighed myself in over 2 1/2 months. And I only stick to this diet if I don't have company. And I have had a lot of company lately. That is why I got so sick when I went back to this way of eating. I am trying to use recipes that include Stevia and almond and coconut flour.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mary What do you think about Cathe Friedrich? I hadn't even heard of her until today.

That is way too much work for me! I use to do 3-4 hours of cardio type workouts a day before I discovered heavy lifting and I am basically lazy so it was a no brainier for me! She does cardio plus resistance which I didn't do the resistance part but she works waaaay too hard for results that can be attained with weight lifting and Kettlebell with a lot less work and time.
    This is the thread that got me on the road to weight lifting and kicked 24 hours of cardio to the curb!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky#latest
    Every other day I swing the Kettlebell for 25 minutes. It really is only 20 seconds per minute of work time. Which really amounts to 8 minutes and 20 seconds total work time. On my Stronglifts days which I alternate every other day, I combine lifting with Kettlebell swings. It takes around an hour and 10 minutes for workout A and an hour for workout B. I do 22sets , a lift and a Kettlebell swing for workout A, work time of 30 seconds X 22 = 11 minutes of actual work. The rest is setting up weights and rest time. Workout B is 30 seconds X 19 = 9 1/2 minutes of actual work. Plus lifting heavy gets my heart rate up and the muscle/strength training has an after burn of calories due to muscle repair.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/lift-heavy-lose-more-fat

So, in reality I really only workout at the most 8-11 minutes each day!

Katla- Thanks! I'm going to be turning 59 this November!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,782 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I have a weekend off whooo hoooo...
    and No they never contacted me on the meet and greet.. at least I tried...
    Tracy,Taliah and I are going to Lake Compounce for Toms company picnic, free parking, use of the whole park and picnic lunch.. Tom really didnt want to go so I will get to spend quality time with my girls.. will cherish the day..
    then going out to dinner with dear friends tonight....
    stopping at the dump and then off to feed DFIL and then will come home and go pick the girls up..