WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :)Karen in VA I start getting ready for bed about 6:30 PM to allow me time to brush my teeth and am usually under the covers reading before 7:30 PM so I can get up around 3:15 AM. It is a routine that works for me and allows me to get over 10,000 steps, a good breakfast, and time for meditation, spiritual reading, and reading MFP by 7:30 AM....I have been using Isagenix shakes since 2009 as part of my weight loss and weight maintenance program...it works for me and the nutrition is awesome.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington (state)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Mary What do you think about Cathe Friedrich? I hadn't even heard of her until today.

That is way too much work for me! I use to do 3-4 hours of cardio type workouts a day before I discovered heavy lifting and I am basically lazy so it was a no brainier for me! She does cardio plus resistance which I didn't do the resistance part but she works waaaay too hard for results that can be attained with weight lifting and Kettlebell with a lot less work and time.
    This is the thread that got me on the road to weight lifting and kicked 24 hours of cardio to the curb!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky#latest
    Every other day I swing the Kettlebell for 25 minutes. It really is only 20 seconds per minute of work time. Which really amounts to 8 minutes and 20 seconds total work time. On my Stronglifts days which I alternate every other day, I combine lifting with Kettlebell swings. It takes around an hour and 10 minutes for workout A and an hour for workout B. I do 22sets , a lift and a Kettlebell swing for workout A, work time of 30 seconds X 22 = 11 minutes of actual work. The rest is setting up weights and rest time. Workout B is 30 seconds X 19 = 9 1/2 minutes of actual work. Plus lifting heavy gets my heart rate up and the muscle/strength training has an after burn of calories due to muscle repair.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/lift-heavy-lose-more-fat

So, in reality I really only workout at the most 8-11 minutes each day!

Katla- Thanks! I'm going to be turning 59 this November!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

I was looking at the mfp link and they look like two different ladies, the top "before" pic she has short blonde hair, the after pic is long dark hair... :0/

I don't know what you mean.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3

My go to food when I'm starving is cottage cheese, carrots and HOT mixed pickle. Have to have my chilli fix. :D Love cottage cheese, but much prefer the ones with high "offness". There is one I love, but can't get it round here. When I go to DS I have to stop myself scoffing the whole container. I have to fight for it with DGD. :D
    Strange how taste buds can be inherited. DGD seems to have the same tastes as my elder son, her uncle. He wasn't keen on fish, but loved processed meat and they love anything salty. She much prefers Marmite to any jams or honey. A lot like me, but I LOVE fish. No one in our family seems to have a sweet tooth, though my DDIL loves chocolate. She keeps a tight rein on it though. Not overweight.

PS - Marmite is a yeast product. It is incredibly salty, dark and delicious on toast. <3 Australians have a similar thing called Vegemite, which is much inferior. :laugh: A cause of much argument - don't get us started!

Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Mary What do you think about Cathe Friedrich? I hadn't even heard of her until today.

That is way too much work for me! I use to do 3-4 hours of cardio type workouts a day before I discovered heavy lifting and I am basically lazy so it was a no brainier for me! She does cardio plus resistance which I didn't do the resistance part but she works waaaay too hard for results that can be attained with weight lifting and Kettlebell with a lot less work and time.
    This is the thread that got me on the road to weight lifting and kicked 24 hours of cardio to the curb!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky#latest
    Every other day I swing the Kettlebell for 25 minutes. It really is only 20 seconds per minute of work time. Which really amounts to 8 minutes and 20 seconds total work time. On my Stronglifts days which I alternate every other day, I combine lifting with Kettlebell swings. It takes around an hour and 10 minutes for workout A and an hour for workout B. I do 22sets , a lift and a Kettlebell swing for workout A, work time of 30 seconds X 22 = 11 minutes of actual work. The rest is setting up weights and rest time. Workout B is 30 seconds X 19 = 9 1/2 minutes of actual work. Plus lifting heavy gets my heart rate up and the muscle/strength training has an after burn of calories due to muscle repair.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/lift-heavy-lose-more-fat

So, in reality I really only workout at the most 8-11 minutes each day!

Katla- Thanks! I'm going to be turning 59 this November!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

I was looking at the mfp link and they look like two different ladies, the top "before" pic she has short blonde hair, the after pic is long dark hair... :0/

I don't know what you mean.

there was a link that on a mfp thread where it showed a before and after pic of a lady. on the before pic, she was blonde w/short and on the after pic she was dark hair and it was long
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Heather, do you ever heat your cinnamon roll quest bar in the toaster oven? I tried it in the microwave (the person who told me it was good heated failed to mention how to heat it). I had to use a fork it softened it it so much, but it was good.

I bought some Premier Protein shakes at the suggestion of someone on here. I believe it was Ketone Karen. I liked the chocolate and tolerated the strawberry, but they don't "hold me." I use them for snacks or post workout. I can't use them for meal replacement. I have also tried the high protein Special K ones in chocolate. They taste pretty good. I have ordered something from Arbonne that is powder you add to existing food like oatmeal or yogurt to up the protein. Sounds disgusting, but a friend was having a party so I said, what the heck? I'll give it a try. I'll let y'all know how that works out for me. I continue to struggle with getting enough protein.

Speaking of which, my friends have got to stop selling stuff! My allowance will only go so far between LuLaRoe, Arbonne, Mary Kay and Advocare! I know I could say no, but it is all stuff I wanted and I wanted to help them out, too. Of course most of what I am buying could be classified as food or clothing, but I might have maxed out my clothing budget already. It is just too tempting when I'm starting to look good in my clothes with the weight loss.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog- 9.17min, .5incl. 6.5sp, 9.17ap, 125ahr, 152mhr, 1mi = 92c
    other-75min, various machines, 30-70#'s, 11# ball toss, bosu single leg cal w/8#ball, jump rope, single/double, 105ahr, 143mhr = 431c
    total cal 523
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    lordy I am home and can barely move ,darn close to 12,000 steps though.. lots of walking.. and everyone had a good time.. now out to dinner with friends.. should be a wonderful evening.. tomorrow is grocery shopping.. so am gonna go make a list now..
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful day. Taught aerobics again then went shopping. Our clothing store had a great sale BOG2 free. Got some amazing deals. Had to buy groceries and we needed a lot of things. Came home and took a nap before I could fix lunch.
    Charleen the clan quilt is absolutely amazing. My favorite thing at the state fair is the quilt display. I tried it for awhile but me eyes got too bad. I have macular degeneration so close work is tedious for me.

SueBDew in TX

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Drkatie - It's never occurred to me to heat them. I only use them in extremis when I am somewhere I can't get decent food in a hurry, like on a train, or having to wait for people to get their act together with eating. I have to eat at very regular intervals, almost within half an hour of normal, or I start to go weird. I take great care not to get into that state and people who know me know all about it. If they don't know, I tell them pretty quick!
    My DH can skip meals, or eat one big meal for the day and that's it. I had to train him to understand how I operate. It took a while, but he gets it now. I literally seize up and can hardly speak and get the knee trembles. Sometimes a mint sweet can get me over it if it's not for too long, but I find the Quest bar is best.
    I have never counted my macros and in fact just do most of my logging as Quick Add as I know all the calorie values by heart. I'm really only interested in CICO. My diet is healthy and I get protein every day, chicken, fish, beef, eggs or cheese. I know I eat too much sodium and drink a bit too much alcohol. I eat piles of veggies. No cakes, desserts, biscuits, cookies, pizza, potatoes, rice etc. A bit of plain chocolate on occasion. Very little bread. I do best on a high protein, lower carb diet with lots of green veg and salad. Don't get so hungry that way.
    You are doing so well and it shows what success you are having in that you are getting interested in clothes. :D I remember what a wonderful and strange feeling it was to be able to walk into a store and look good in almost anything! It took a while to get used to it. I still don't spend much money on clothes though, but that's because I'm an "underspender" in general (on things) , but I spend a lot on experiences. I prefer to do things rather than buy things. When I do buy things I go for quality and they last. I love to look stylish! B):D

Time for bed. Lots of love, Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have company coming tonight - an old friend from the AGs office. I'm making the blackened fish tacos with cabbage mango slaw that I have not been able to have all week. Also making some yellow rice with black beans and corn. I am going to have a glass of wine with dinner tonight. Rarely drink but once in awhile is OK. Actually a glass of wine a day is good for you. Talk to you all tomorrow!
    Windy here today

Gloria
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    NYKaren, your trip sounds so beautiful. That area is one of my pipe dreams. We started planning a New England vacation 2 or 3 years ago, it was before Charlie's ulcerative colitis. We were going to do Amtrak since Charlie is not easy to sit in a car with when he is driving. Lots of road rage. Then I found out that we couldn't get one of the roomettes from a local area all the way. So I looked into flights. I told Charlie about it and he tells me that he is now afraid of flying. So anywhere in that area is out. So I live through others.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI>Busy day getting pre-op testing done today.
    Hugs to u all

jane
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Well right back into the work mode…. I want to be on forever vacation!!! LOL

Marcelyn – I would take your rain!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love rhubarb! In pie in a bowl… but it has to be shipped into CA and is mighty expensive here…

Charleen – a late hug, thinking oh you and the funerals last week.

Jane – sending good thoughts! And especially on wed!

Joyce – 3 blockages explains a lot! You take care!

Gloworm – fingers crossed that you get the job! I am sure you did wonderful on the interview.. I make the spinach feta from skinnytaste also and love it, so I too am not a huge dill fan, so I usually use basil (as I love it) but have done cilantro, or parsley. It is a bit dry but I serve it with a dollop of chili sauce or salsa.

Allie – I have neighbors I would love to move on too… but not as crazy as yours LOL Congrats!

Melanie – thinking of you!

Miriam – great picture!

Katla – So sorry to hear about DH’s MS ….

Carey – something about that “arthritis” diagnosis sounds wrong… sorta like the easy way out…

Janetr – excellent results!

On Irons and Ironing boards – I use mine everyday! It’s part of getting an item ready to go out the door after being embroidered….LOL

Ok, got closer to caught up… finished page 62…

August Goals:
    2 fun things a week, visiting with college prof, walking tour of tea gardens, birthday hike, learning to set and catch a gopher, planning camping trip, dinner at a new Chinese restaurant, trying coffee beer. 4 fab! Days of camping

Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options