What is your gym pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    People who think it's acceptable to walk naked around the locker like they are at home. I won't even go in the locker room any more. Have a smidge of decency and wrap a towel around your waist if you aren't in the process of dressing/undressing!

Second peeve is the ones who talk to themselves trying to psych themselves up before/during a run or lift.

Its a locker room for the love of all that is good. It is normal to expect naked people in there. Don't need to be naked hiking a foot up on the sink to clean one's junk, but just basically walking around?

I'm talking guys who get naked, walk over the sink, stand there doing god knows what, then back to the locker, then to the shower, then somewhere else.... it's like they are just there to walk around naked. I spent 22 years in the Army, I'm used to group bathroom and shower facilities, but you sure as hell don't see guys acting like that!

Like I said the first time, have a tiny bit of decency and put a towel on!
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Curling in the squat rack. Hate those guys...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    When there are twenty empty treadmills but someone needs to use the one right next to the one I'm on.

At my gym, they look out onto the street and are all identical with personal entertainment screens, so I cannot fathom a reason behind this other than a desire to annoy me. Maybe they want to compete so they want to see my screen? Maybe they're hoping to have a chat? Maybe they just really want to get whipped in the eye with my ponytail? I don't know.
  • kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Losers that tell me I'm lifting way too heavy for a girl and if I want to tone up more I should be lifting less.
    I am actually excited for this to happen to me. Once or twice that is - then I'll know my lifts are starting to get impressive! After that, my RBF should hopefully keep them away.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Pet peeves:

- Several treadmills and y'all gotta use the one RIGHT next to me. Why? Why???
    - This one dude who would grunt and drop weights all the effing time.
    - People who don't put away their weights.
    - Y U NO WIPE DOWN EQUIPMENT, PPL?
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I get grumpy if I have amped myself up for a run and when I get to the treadmills, they are all taken. arrrggghhhhh
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    sfcrocker wrote: »
    My main one is people who sit on the weight machines for 10+ minutes playing on their phones when other people are waiting to use them.

just ask to work in. i do. it's never been a problem. how are they supposed to know other people are waiting unless someone tells them?

IDK how it works elsewhere, but in Canada the only appropriate way to deal with this is to glare at them passive aggressively. If someone asked he/she to share the machine, it would imply that he/she was rude by sitting on it. And we are all terrified of being rude, or pointing out someone else's rudeness, since it is punishable by death / extradition. Afterwards, we all say "sorry" an inordinate amount of times, then drink coffee and play shinny.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also people that use cardio equipment when its not raining. (most likely vegans)
    haha... I hate gyms with those annoying notices 'politely' asking the likes of moi, to limit my time on the cardio machines to less than my usual 80mins. >:):s

• terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    People that interrupt my workout to tell me I'm going to get "too big"... First of all, that's my goal. Second of all, I'm 100lbs... Like really?
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    When there are twenty empty treadmills but someone needs to use the one right next to the one I'm on.

At my gym, they look out onto the street and are all identical with personal entertainment screens, so I cannot fathom a reason behind this other than a desire to annoy me. Maybe they want to compete so they want to see my screen? Maybe they're hoping to have a chat? Maybe they just really want to get whipped in the eye with my ponytail? I don't know.

Maybe the one next you is their favourite machine or the machine that he/she got their personal best time on. Just an idea.
  • FlyingA
    FlyingA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The 6-8 people who do Crossfit in a group, thus occupying millions of pieces of equipment and most of the space in the weight room at my gym every morning. Please note this is not Crossfit hate; I actually think they are total bad*kittens*, they are just in my (and everyone else's) way every time I want to do, well, anything. Like doing handstand push-ups against the door of the equipment room. Running between pieces of equipment, etc. There's a Crossfit box THREE BLOCKS away. Sigh.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Maybe the one next you is their favourite machine or the machine that he/she got their personal best time on. Just an idea.

I do have a favorite treadmill, and will choose it even if all the others are open and it's right next to the only other person on a treadmill. However, the one I like is the only one like it. All the others are a different brand/type.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have a recumbent bike I like as well. Do not care who is around.

If someone is on it, I will stand 3 feet in front of them and just stare at them picking my nose till they are disgusted and leave.

If they ignore me, the flicking starts...
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    None. I don't go to gym to worry about what others are doing, I go for my goals.

While I would normally agree with this, there is one newish guy in my gym who when he is doing deadlifts or bent over barbell rows lets the barbell hit the floor so loud, that it is louder than anything I have ever heard in my life. that has become my pet peeve.

Sometimes, even when you don't worry about what others are doing, there's still one or two people who manage to force themselves upon one of the five senses.

One of my more recent peeves is someone who comes into a room with people in it and changes the station on the radio or fills an erstwhile silent room with their own stereo. And it's not the music that I mind. It's the disregard for the possibility that someone already in the room may have set the station or may be enjoying the silence and the newcomer doesn't even extend the courtesy of asking if those present mind the change.

It just seems that, if you're going to change what everyone's listening to, a little heads-up would be nice.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    People not wiping down the equipment when they're done with it.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

They are all identical models, in one long line of about twenty facing the windows, and indistinguishable from one another in any way I can discern, so I have no idea why that would be the case unless it's a superstitious thing...and superstition is another of my pet peeves.

I've also been using them at least twice a week for the past year and never once noticed any kind of speed difference or anything between any of them, and they are all regularly recalibrated/maintained from what I've seen.

So I'm back to people being weird, I think.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    People who shove stuff in lockers then don't lock it to show it's engaged (take it they don't have coin, token or at present gym a padlock). Hate having to open about 10 lockers to actually find a free one.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    - People who hop on the treadmill right next to mine when there are 20 other identical, open treadmills. Go away.
    I'm guilty of doing this. My gym has four different types of ellipticals, one of which is comfortable for me. Some are under bright lights which give me a headache, so I avoid them. Because I want to workout comfortably, my choice of 20 machines is down to two possibilities. If you're on one, I'll be right next to you.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    People who think it's acceptable to walk naked around the locker like they are at home. I won't even go in the locker room any more. Have a smidge of decency and wrap a towel around your waist if you aren't in the process of dressing/undressing!

Second peeve is the ones who talk to themselves trying to psych themselves up before/during a run or lift.

What's it like to be so offended by the human body that you literally won't step into the locker room?