• Marjael
    Marjael Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    3.64 run this morning

exercise.png
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I am sorry I didn't see the part about your heel problem earlier. I hope it continue to get better. Thank you for your input on the race. My husband and I have signed up - with a coupon code I just received, how timely :smiley: Any suggestion on how we could find each other?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    OK, as promised, the September Challenge is now up:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10451004/september-2016-running-challenge

Please walk not run to the exit and be courteous to those around you before you leave this thread to go set your goal for next month. :wink:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    End of month thoughts:
    I was thinking about this while I was out for my Sunday run on the Prairie Path.

THINGS I HATE ABOUT RUNNING OUTSIDE

1. Itchy legs
    2. Itchy bum
    3. Itchy crotch
    4. Walkers who walk 3-4 abreast and won’t move out of the way when I want to pass, forcing me to run on the grass
    5. Casual bikers who weave all over the path
    6. Dogs
    7. Women who can run in nothing but a sports bra and short shorts, and here I have to be in two bras, a sweaty tank top and long shorts. It’s not fair. (Before you say I can run in a sports bra and short shorts if I want to, trust me, NO ONE wants to see me like that, especially me.)
    8. Puddles that I can’t maneuver around
    9. Itchy ankles
    10 .Itchy feet
    11. Geese
    12. Poop from said geese
    13. Bikers who come from seemingly out of nowhere and scare the kitten out of me
    14. Cars who won’t stop for the pedestrians (me) crossing the street like the law says
    15. Itchy boobs
    16. Itchy ANYTHING
    17. Other runners who pass me, making me feel like a slow old fart (you are a slow old fart, Laura, get over it)
    18. How much I’m going to miss running outside when the winter gets here

• RespectTheKitty
    Options
    I am also overjoyed to find out that the one race I really wanted to do - The Fall Color 5k at the Morton Arboretum - has a virtual option. I get to run, I get the shirt, but I don't have to deal with what would be an insane amount of people. This makes me a very happy agoraphobe.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    End of month thoughts:
    I was thinking about this while I was out for my Sunday run on the Prairie Path.

1. Itchy legs
    2. Itchy bum
    3. Itchy crotch
    4. Walkers who walk 3-4 abreast and won’t move out of the way when I want to pass, forcing me to run on the grass
    6. Dogs
    7. Women who can run in nothing but a sports bra and short shorts, and here I have to be in two bras, a sweaty tank top and long shorts. It’s not fair. (Before you say I can run in a sports bra and short shorts if I want to, trust me, NO ONE wants to see me like that, especially me.)
    9. Itchy ankles
    10 .Itchy feet
    11. Geese
    12. Poop from said geese
    13. Bikers who come from seemingly out of nowhere and scare the kitten out of me
    14. Cars who won’t stop for the pedestrians (me) crossing the street like the law says
    15. Itchy boobs
    16. Itchy ANYTHING
    17. Other runners who pass me, making me feel like a slow old fart (you are a slow old fart, Laura, get over it)

Miss running outside in the winter??? Oh no you run outside in the winter.
  • RespectTheKitty
    edited August 2016
    Options
    End of month thoughts:

1. Itchy legs
    2. Itchy bum
    3. Itchy crotch
    6. Dogs
    9. Itchy ankles
    10 .Itchy feet
    11. Geese
    12. Poop from said geese
    15. Itchy boobs
    16. Itchy ANYTHING

Not the way they take care of our streets and sidewalks. Running outside in the winter in my area is asking for a broken leg.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1--- travel doc appointment
    2---30 minutes pool swim/running!, 1 mile walk
    3--- 0.5 mile walk
    4---30 minutes pool swim/ water jogging
    6---0.7 mile walk
    7---0.7 mile walk
    8---20 minute swim/weights
    9---35 minute swim
    11--- weights
    12--- 40 minute swim, 1 mile walk
    13---2.1 mile poké walk
    14---0.9 mile walk
    16---38 minute swim/ 1.6 mile walk
    17---1 mile walk
    18---2 mile walk/weights
    19---50 minute swim
    22---1.6 mile walk/weights
    23---35 minute swim
    24---1.3 mile walk
    25---30 minute swim
    26---30 minute swim, 0.8 mile walk
    27---kayaking 90 minutes.
    28---1.1 mile walk
    29---45 minute swim/weights
    30---weights/1.5 mile walk

Doc appointment the 2nd... We'll see about the running, again. Until then I'm going to tackle my diet, a ripped class, weights, and swim.

Not advisable races:

10/02/16 Spirit of Survival Lawton OK Quarter Marathon.
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016

Advisable races:

March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    End of month thoughts:

1. Itchy legs
    2. Itchy bum
    3. Itchy crotch
    6. Dogs
    9. Itchy ankles
    10 .Itchy feet
    11. Geese
    12. Poop from said geese
    15. Itchy boobs
    16. Itchy ANYTHING

Not the way they take care of our streets and sidewalks. Running outside in the winter in my area is asking for a broken leg.

Two words. Trail shoes. Where I live snow and bad roads are a way of life. Just gotta think about as Trail running bit road running.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Congratulations everyone who met their goal for the month! And everyone who ran this month and stayed injury-free!

I made it to the orthopedist's this morning and just as I suspected - it's a stress fracture. At least it showed up on the x-ray so I didn’t have to wait a few days and spend a bunch of money on an MRI just to tell me what I already knew -_- I have to take 5-6 weeks off of running, then they doctor recommended I get a gait/biomechanic analysis and PT since I’ve had a lot of issues with injury over the last few years. The point is, the Chicago Marathon is definitely out of the picture, along with three other races that I was registered for in September/October. I just hope I can find the motivation to keep working out (once my shin heals enough that I can bike/elliptical without pain). I’m honestly so devastated right now :cry:
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni I'm so sorry about the bad news from the doctor. I know how you must feel but please keep in mind that you're young and still have a lifetime of running in front of you. Listen to the doctors, have the tests, do the PT and try to be patient!

The only reason I'm running is because at 66 I got the devastating news that I had frozen shoulder and couldn't swim for at least 6 months while I went through therapy. I've been swimming since I was 3 years old and I was crushed.

For some reason I decided to try running and now I have a new love. I've cured my shoulder through hard work, lots of therapy, commitment to staying the course and now I can swim AND run.

I'm sure you have a bright future in running, it might just be delayed temporarily, find something you can do in the meantime to make you happy and strong!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Aug  2     5.0      5.0 
    Aug  3     5.8     10.8 
    Aug  4     4.3     15.1 
    Aug  6     5.6     20.7 
    Aug  7     5.1     25.8 
    Aug  9     5.1     30.9 
    Aug 10     6.2     37.1
    Aug 11     4.3     41.4
    Aug 13     6.3     47.7
    Aug 16     5.5     53.2
    Aug 18     5.8     59.0
    Aug 20     5.6     64.6
    Aug 22     5.6     70.2
    Aug 23     4.3     74.5
    Aug 25     5.8     80.3
    Aug 27     8.2     88.5
    Aug 28     5.5     94.0
    Aug 30     4.3     98.3

exercise.png
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I love your list as it echoes mine, especially the winter and itchy bits... lol
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    End of month thoughts:

1. Itchy legs
    2. Itchy bum
    3. Itchy crotch
    6. Dogs
    9. Itchy ankles
    10 .Itchy feet
    11. Geese
    12. Poop from said geese
    15. Itchy boobs
    16. Itchy ANYTHING

Two words. Trail shoes. Where I live snow and bad roads are a way of life. Just gotta think about as Trail running bit road running.

Vouch for the trail shoes in the winter. In my first half marathon training program, the pace leader told me to get trail shoes for snow on the roads. I did so, and it opened neighborhood roads that had been previously closed for the winter to me. Worth. Every. Penny.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp congrats on retirement, it sounds amazing. Wish I could talk my husband into it! :)

And smooth move on the 16%!!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    That's great, @MobyCarp. Good for you for planning ahead like that, wise words. Congratulations.

Good job, everyone in getting the miles in during this hot August month (for many of us). May the fall be kind and long for runners everywhere.

8/30 4.28 miles
    Group speedwork night - we did a "short tempo" workout. For those of us training for HM, this was 20 minutes. Not so bad after our long tempo a couple of weeks ago, but still felt rough. Which I guess it is supposed to. The coach always tell us our muscles should be burning, and our confidence wavering during the workout and then you know you are working hard enough. Finished with 4 sprints.

It's exciting that the fall marathons and half marathons are coming up that people in the group have been training for. A few people have one this coming weekend, most are end of September into October. I think I'll try to volunteer at one or two also.

104 miles out of my goal of 100 done! Last month I did 108.4 - not sure I can beat that but I'll get close.

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hi all
    stopping by to say hey, and i don't planning on finishing my goal. My husband passed away suddenly Friday so i haven't been eating well enough to go for a run. passed in his sleep. toxicology won't be back for a while but he was fighting addictions at the time.

i did go to the running store and get new shoes and a memorial bracelet. Hope to get back on the wagon in the next few days. my appetite is slowly coming back.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    hi all
    stopping by to say hey, and i don't planning on finishing my goal. My husband passed away suddenly Friday so i haven't been eating well enough to go for a run. passed in his sleep. toxicology won't be back for a while but he was fighting addictions at the time.

i did go to the running store and get new shoes and a memorial bracelet. Hope to get back on the wagon in the next few days. my appetite is slowly coming back.

So sorry for your loss. :heart: