Do you plan your cheat meals/days?

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I don't believe in the concept of "cheat days" because I feel that sets me up to feel that the majority of my life is a hard and dreary slog while the cheat days are bright and shining occasions. I feel that is a set up to fail situation, as who wants their life to be dreary. Instead I am trying to change my psychology to be aware and mindful of what I really want - which almost always is healthful, disciplined and moderate. I have made a commitment to record every single thing honestly for a one year time period regardless of whether I meet my goals. Just the act of honestly recording keeps me on track most days and on the days that I don't I give myself grace.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Usually we SORT of plan. We plan a date night or yummy meal. I always want a meal and dessert if I'm doing a cheat meal! Sometimes though, we cheat unexpectedly. Life happens. We start over the next day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I think it's funny when people say "just fit it into your plan" - you mean have 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and then starve the rest of the day? Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just want to eat MORE, even if you manage to fit most things into the diet on an every-day basis - and I do. I eat pizza and grilled chicken burgers and just adjust the rest of the day accordingly. So even though I don't feel THAT restricted, there are still days when I don't want to worry about it.

Every 3-4 weeks I pick one day to "cheat" or whatever you want to call it. Then I go over all of the macros equally, about 25-50% more than recommended. It fits a nice restaurant pizza and some chocolate, plus a few other things. So it's planned and controlled, but makes me happy and works for me.

Fitting it into your day /= eating what you like and starving the rest of the day.

For me, it means portion control. I ate 3 mini donuts for dessert. Do I want the rest of the box? Yes, but all I can fit in my calorie goal for today is a serving. If you want brownies and ice cream, log them first then work the rest of your food around them.
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    @hmltwin, I understand what you are saying, but everyone has their own preference. If I were not sick and allergic to certain foods, I would eat and drink everything in moderation. I have also learned to make healthier choices even when eating hamburgers, Chinese food, and Mexican food. I have modified the recipes so that I can enjoy those foods sometimes.

I don't disagree with those that refuse to call it cheating, and I don't disagree with those who call it cheating. Semantics don't bother me, but I have noticed that way too many people argue about semantics on the forum. We cannot force others to think like we do.

It would be normal for me to eat anything I wanted in moderation had I known what I know now. I actually ended my post with the fact that I call it normal eating if one eats what they want in moderation, unfortunately I cannot eat whatever I want. As I explained before, I became ill so some foods are bad for ME.

Call it whatever you want. Eat whatever you want. If you can get it in [food preference], fit it in[calorie goal]!

• TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    hmltwin wrote: »
    I cant fit goodies into my daily intake because they cause me to eat more. I have a serious problem with sweets, its the reason why I'm here in the first place. Having a problem with sweets is bad for me (me, specifically) because I am insulin resistant (that can lead to Type 2 diabetes for me) and I have an autoimmune disease that causes hyperthyroidism.

Now that's out of the way, I eat a Keto diet, and its important to me (Again, me specifically) that I learn how to control my relationship with food; it has always been used as a reward in my life. I'm an overachiever, so there's a lot of things that I can use as an excuse of a reward.

When I eat a high carb diet, I feel like crap. So I do plan my cheat days (usually around special events). Ill be eating with no regards on thanksgiving and Christmas, and ill be drinking to excess on Christmas eve and my birthday (12/27). My mother makes the best banana pudding, mac and cheese and dressing that ive ever eaten in my life, and I wont be missing out on that. My sister turns 18 on 11/16, so ive already planned to have a slice of the store bought bday cake that she loves, along with my HaloTop icecream (low carb and low calorie, and its delicious). Next year, I have 4 vacations planned, and ill be planning some higher carb days within those vacations.

I'm a planner by nature, and planning my cheat days are perfect for me because I know exactly what to expect.

But again, that's just me.

This is me! I have a list of trigger foods that I can never eat! I will overeat! I not only have a serious problem with sweets, I am a carb addict! I am a Type 2 Diabetic and I learned something from the Keto diet, the Clean Eating diet, the Paleo diet and other diets that is healing my body (I have the stats to prove it). My relationship with food was always about feelings so I ate to feel better, to celebrate, and to reward myself, but I am now using self-control and moderation even on what I call my "cheat days." I am like @PinkSuede, I eat mostly protein, vegetables, and fruit, and when I eat whole grains it is mostly 100% whole grain toast, and occasionally brown rice, or whole grain pasta; and even less often legumes. I have a list of foods that spike my blood sugar and some just make me sick. I never eat them even on my cheat days. I cannot eat most junk foods because less than 6 months ago, they were literally killing me!

Here is what was insane to me: Continuing to eat foods that were hurting me. I stopped doing that. Some of us can live without junk.

I usually get it all in on the same day. If I am going consume more calories, usually not over maintenance level, I will drink vodka or tequila (in moderation). I figure that if I eat right 90% of the time, why not enjoy my life with a little bit of what I want. I don't do this everyday, but overall I am still maintaining a deficit. I am healthier, still losing weight, and I will continue...

I wish I knew then what I know now. I could have enjoyed everything in moderation with no "cheat days" needed. I don't understand why some people argue over semantics; a "cheat" day or meal is only a description of veering off the restrictions/limitations of one's chosen diet. If you don't call it that, it is okay. I really call it "normal" because if you are not sick, you can eat anything in moderation/portion control and fit it into your calorie goal.

On one hand, I get what you're saying. If I went by the idea that "eating outside of my diet = a cheat day", I would say that I seldom plan my cheat days. I very seldom say, "Today, I'm going to eat outside of my diet." That doesn't mean that I seldom do so. I did last Saturday... and the Saturday before that. I can probably look back over my food diary and find numerous days when I went over my deficit and I didn't plan any of them. They just happened.

However, that doesn't mean my regular diet excludes the things I enjoy. I eat pizza, ice cream and chocolate regularly, for example. I plan for those things - so that I can fit them into my regular day. So, on a day when I eat pizza and don't go over my calorie deficit... Is that a cheat day or not?

Part of it is that I view food differently from some other people. I don't consider many things necessarily unhealthy/junk food. Pizza, for example, made the right way has vegetables, protein, dairy and carbs. How is that bad for you? It only becomes "bad" when you eat far too much. A burger is the same way. If I load it down with dressings and cheese and bacon, that's not a healthy option. However, a lean burger that's been grilled (so the fat drained out) that isn't one of those half-pound monsters topped with vegetables and maybe one slice of cheese? That's not really bad, over all.

I understand what you're both saying! I think it comes down to everyone's specific diets. 6 ounces of ground beef, 4 slices of bacon, a runny egg, 2 slices of cheese with half a serving of Thousand Island dressing is a normal meal for me (IF, ftw)...I just ditch the bun and hit my protein and fat goals. That's not unhealthy or cheating to me, thats just how I eat and its normal. My sister made Vegan Fudge Brownies the other day...I ate two, they were only 100 calories each and I came in under my calorie goal, but that is "cheating" to me (and I was a vegetarian for 4 years) because I dont include food like that in a normal day.

I really like eating Keto. It works for me, and I dont feel deprived on a daily basis, but sometimes I am longing for a cookie or a slice of cake and I dont really substitute foods; i'd rather have the thing im craving. I call those cheat days...but like @Pattycake755 said, they're really just days where I deviate from what I usually eat. And since Im a planner by nature, I plan those days out-I know im not going to like a banana pudding made out of Erythritol or a Mac and Cheese made out of cauliflower, so im already planning to deviate from what I usually eat on Turkey day and Xmas, because that's what I want to do lol. I follow a Keto subreddit and a lot of them would disagree with me, but that's the way I want to live my life, it's a sustainable way of eating, for me.
  • cldneria21
    cldneria21 Posts: 1 Member
    Do you guys log your cheat meals on my fitness pal?
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    If I know ahead and can plan for it, I do. But I do occasionally just fall off a bit and get back on. Before I had this all or nothing mentality and that helped me gain unwanted lbs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    cldneria21 wrote: »

I do.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    never cheat days, I get derailed to easy that way. 85% 15% rule.... as long as I am eating right, every 7th meal is a choice meal or goody! That way I am never craving anything...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    While I personally don't label foods as good/bad/cheats/clean, I'll never understand the rage in these forums at other people choosing to use these labels.

Interesting. What posts did you perceive as rageful? I didn't perceive any that way, which makes me wonder if you are referring to quite pleasant posts noting things like "I call them X" or "I don't use the term cheat, but what I do..." and so on.

I didn't necessarily mean this exact OP but more of an observation of an overarching theme on MFP. With over 20K posts i'm assuming you've read plenty of heated debates on "clean eating" and "cheat days" here, I know I have in the several years i've been on this site.

Clean eating debates, sure (still no rage, though). Not cheat meals and heated debates so much. Usually people just say "I don't care for the term cheat, but..." as here. I've seen people oppose the whole idea (or the terminology) also, but not express rage about it. I was mostly confused because you brought it up here so I thought you were referring to the posts here.

Like I said it was just a general observation of the forums from my perspective before I gave my opinion on the OP. I'll have to disagree on the rage part though as I believe I've seen quite a bit but perhaps nastiness is a better word. Regardless I should have been more specific so I apologize for the confusion.

Here's a pretty typical cheat day/meal thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10430674/cheat-day-yes-or-no/p1

I actually think the concept (eating more leniently or more calories or having a day off tracking) can be useful for some people, although not everyone, and I don't like it when people claim it's inherently not or bad. I don't use/care for the term "cheat meal" but I know what many people mean and it's usually the same thing I do -- just because you use it doesn't mean you actually feel like you are "cheating," especially if it's planned, of course, although people do get weird about food so I see why some are wary of the term and will warn against it. I honestly see that as well intentioned and a point usually worth discussing, even if it's something I (with no EDs in my past, lucky me) am less likely to be bothered about,* so that's why I get sensitive to the notion that posts like that are mean or nasty or rage-y or whatever. If that's not what you meant, we are talking past each other, no biggie.

*I also happily use the term "junk food" without thinking the items described are literally junk or shameful to eat or whatever (or even without nutrients -- I call peanut M&Ms junk food, and yet peanuts are nutritious).
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    @TooTatToTrot I agree with you totally! The problem is people have a way of trying to make you believe what they want you to believe. I crafted my own diet, but because I am ill, I do not eat certain junk foods ever. If anyone read my first post, I said that I drink alcohol on my "cheat day." That is the biggest deviation I make from my diet. People on the forums argue a lot over semantics. I just recently noticed three arguments over semantics. "Diet vs. Lifestyle Change", "Weight Loss Plateaus vs. Weight Loss Stalls", and "Motivation vs. Commitment."

I understand what those who use the word "cheat" mean, and I understand why some people don't like the term.

I believe that the way that I eat is not a diet, it is a lifestyle, but I am not going to get upset if someone else believes that they are on a diet, and that there diet will end. Due to illness, my diet will never end. I am eating the way that I am going to eat for the rest of my life; my life and quality of life depends upon it. This is my normal.

Whatever you call it, I will indulge a little more on special occasions, birthdays, and major holidays.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    cldneria21 wrote: »

I called them treat meals, but when I was first logging I did. (Restaurant meals so I'd try to remember and estimate and then add in some extra butter beyond what I thought it seemed like, since there's always more than you think.)

After I got more comfortable with what I needed to do to lose I'd log them as a blanket 1000 or 1200 or the like, depending on what made sense to me.

I usually aimed to be around maintenance on a day with a cheat meal at first (sometimes much lower, and I'd make room for the meal by eating really low cal earlier in the day). Later when I was exercising more I'd plan it as a post long run or long bike meal and basically assume the two things were a wash. If I'd stopped losing I would have adjusted, but I did not.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    I have 1 or 2 meals where I throw caution to the wind. My husband and I both have one day off together, and we're usually away from the house during that day. If I can, I eat lunch at home and then just have one big splurge meal for dinner. But if we're away all day, I'll have one semi-splurge lunch and one splurge dinner.
    The way I plan for it is I don't eat back my exercise calories if I can help it. So I'm banking ~ 500-750 calories throughout the week. I don't know for sure how many calories are in my typical restaurant meal but I usually estimate 1000.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    While I personally don't label foods as good/bad/cheats/clean, I'll never understand the rage in these forums at other people choosing to use these labels.

Interesting. What posts did you perceive as rageful? I didn't perceive any that way, which makes me wonder if you are referring to quite pleasant posts noting things like "I call them X" or "I don't use the term cheat, but what I do..." and so on.

I didn't necessarily mean this exact OP but more of an observation of an overarching theme on MFP. With over 20K posts i'm assuming you've read plenty of heated debates on "clean eating" and "cheat days" here, I know I have in the several years i've been on this site.

Clean eating debates, sure (still no rage, though). Not cheat meals and heated debates so much. Usually people just say "I don't care for the term cheat, but..." as here. I've seen people oppose the whole idea (or the terminology) also, but not express rage about it. I was mostly confused because you brought it up here so I thought you were referring to the posts here.

Like I said it was just a general observation of the forums from my perspective before I gave my opinion on the OP. I'll have to disagree on the rage part though as I believe I've seen quite a bit but perhaps nastiness is a better word. Regardless I should have been more specific so I apologize for the confusion.

Here's a pretty typical cheat day/meal thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10430674/cheat-day-yes-or-no/p1

I actually think the concept (eating more leniently or more calories or having a day off tracking) can be useful for some people, although not everyone, and I don't like it when people claim it's inherently not or bad. I don't use/care for the term "cheat meal" but I know what many people mean and it's usually the same thing I do -- just because you use it doesn't mean you actually feel like you are "cheating," especially if it's planned, of course, although people do get weird about food so I see why some are wary of the term and will warn against it. I honestly see that as well intentioned and a point usually worth discussing, even if it's something I (with no EDs in my past, lucky me) am less likely to be bothered about,* so that's why I get sensitive to the notion that posts like that are mean or nasty or rage-y or whatever. If that's not what you meant, we are talking past each other, no biggie.

*I also happily use the term "junk food" without thinking the items described are literally junk or shameful to eat or whatever (or even without nutrients -- I call peanut M&Ms junk food, and yet peanuts are nutritious).

I guess I'm just confused why you're still quoting me and saying we're talking past each other when we're essentially saying the same thing other than the rage comment you don't agree with. I perceive that people sometimes get ragey/nasty in the discussion of cheat meals. I've seen people say things like you're still overweight because you cheat or your life must be sad if you live that way. Those kind of comments seem unhelpful and nasty to me personally. It's my perception and I didn't mention anyone specifically. I personally don't care if people call it a cheat or treat or whatever they want that's why I find it interesting when people are really bothered by it. It was simply my observation. Plenty of people (myself included in my original post) phrase this like, I don't personally call it a cheat meal but 10% of the time I eat foods that aren't my normal foods and don't plan for it or I don't call it a cheat meal but I plan on Saturdays to have a date night where I eat what I want. I didn't say it was bad or wrong in any context at all.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited August 2016
    I think it's funny when people say "just fit it into your plan" - you mean have 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and then starve the rest of the day? Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just want to eat MORE, even if you manage to fit most things into the diet on an every-day basis - and I do. I eat pizza and grilled chicken burgers and just adjust the rest of the day accordingly. So even though I don't feel THAT restricted, there are still days when I don't want to worry about it.

Every 3-4 weeks I pick one day to "cheat" or whatever you want to call it. Then I go over all of the macros equally, about 25-50% more than recommended. It fits a nice restaurant pizza and some chocolate, plus a few other things. So it's planned and controlled, but makes me happy and works for me.

I personally would never do two brownies AND ice cream though. One small brownies or one mini ice cream bar for dessert and I'm good. I mean, isn't the point of this to learn moderation and better eating habits. How could we sustain weight loss if we just fall back into old habits.

My most recent dessert obsession is two Reese's peanut butter cups every day. It's the perfect end to a day and I log it first and work my day around it :) I most definitely do not starve myself and I have been losing weight just fine.

• Arnisha1979
    Arnisha1979 Posts: 8 Member
    I plan my cheat meals. I usually log in all my meals that I will eat that day. If I find myself left with calories and some fat. I will add in a cheat meal. Its always best to plan. If your serious about your workout you plan everything. It doesn't matter what day I cheat, as long as I plan ahead after scheduling what I'm suppose to eat for that day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Yes, I plan in advance. By "plan," I mean I know I will have a cheat day. I don't save up calories for it. When I first started losing a few years ago, I told myself I would allow a cheat day when I reached milestones (10 lbs. lost, for example). But since I lose so slowly, it took months to reach that milestone. It was so difficult because I felt like I was starving every single day for months in order to barely lose any weight. So when I reached those milestones, I would really allow a whole cheat day. There was once that I got a couple dozen donuts for breakfast. Also, I made up 4 lbs. of spaghetti (pre-cooked weight) and several cans and jars of sauce along with a couple lbs. of italian sausage. That was lunch. Then I made a few boxes of cake mix (2 cakes - 1 white, 1 chocolate; and 1 box of brownies mix... all with frosting of course). I ordered a couple pizzas and breadsticks, got a dozen cookies and ate that stuff for dinner. There was some ice cream and a few candy bars in there as well. See, after feeling like I'm starving for months, that was nice to finally be able to eat as I wanted for a day. But I found that a cheat day makes my super slow weight loss even slower overall. So I finally figured out I can't just let myself have a cheat day at certain milestones... I have to either have a smaller "cheat" day where I still have a limit and do this only once or twice per year, or I have to not allow a cheat day at all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Exactly. For me, it's not so much the type of food, but the amount of it. I simply can not fit the amount i want into my deficit, so i save it for my cheat/dgaf/treat days or whatever one wants to call it..