Diet Soda and Weight Loss

Options
"Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain."

I've seen this phrase a few times in articles that discuss the effects of diet soda and weight loss. Is there actually any evidence or real science behind this statement?

Replies

• sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the scientific evidence behind it but I've known tons of people losing 100+ lbs drinking diet sodas every day. I know it can cause you to gain weight around the middle when you gain and drink those, but if it triggered insulin, why do they tell diabetics that are newly diagnosed to switch to diet. I say, drink them in moderation. When you crave the real thing, have a diet version. It's about balance, not perfection right! :)
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Link to the original? I'd like to read the source but common sense tells me no that is not true. Your body stores fat when it receives more fuel than it needs to handle its functions (CICO.) Since diet soda is generally 0 calories (a unit of measure) it should not be providing any "fuel" to the body for storage. As a simple anecdotal (not scientifically backed) observation I believe that consuming artificial/processed sugars only lead to increased hunger (for me) so I avoid them because they do not serve my personal goals plus I think they taste nasty. Now I'm not going into it because no one asked or cares (lol) but I think that something you consume that has 0 units of fuel measure and little if any nutritional value as well as a high level of acidity cannot be good for your body but like Sweetbug said "It's about balance, not perfection"
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    alexreyn13 wrote: »
    "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain."

I've seen this phrase a few times in articles that discuss the effects of diet soda and weight loss. Is there actually any evidence or real science behind this statement?

I don't believe that particular statement is supported by science, I think that perhaps someone read somewhere that sugar consumption triggers insulin release, and then made that jump that all sweet flavors trigger insulin and published it. Unfortunately, it is a common occurrence in journalism when reporting on science to make it sound like "major breakthroughs" are being made in every article.

In terms of weight, diet soda has 0 calories, which means it doesn't impact your weight calorically one way or another. However, some people do report that they are very sensitive to the sweetness of diet soda, and that consumption can trigger cravings for sweet foods, which can lead to overeating and difficulty managing weight.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    whoever made the statement doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Even the worst artificial sweetner isn't as bad as sugar at causing a spike in blood sugar and the corresponding rise in insulin. Many artificial sweetners have a GI of 0, there would be no way for it to increase insulin.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    No, there is no scientific evidence that diet sodas lead to weight gain. Weight gain is caused by a surplus of calories, and diet soda has none, so it's impossible to gain weight from them.

Some people say that the weight gain comes from people choosing larger meals or eating more since they're drinking diet soda and feel like they've earned it, but that's the consumer's fault. Not the soda's.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Yeah it has nothing to do with the ingredients or biological process, it has to do with the number of calories. And there's this... if you're craving sugar and you eat or drink something that's sugar free, ya know, trying to trick your mind, your brain gets all ramped up for the sugar rush... like thinking "it's coming! it's coming, get ready, here it comes......" and then nothing. So you end up craving it even more which may lead to over doing it.

I can see how it's that way for some people definitely but I don't think it's that way for everyone.

Personally, I drink diet soda because it's easier to open a can/bottle than it is to make coffee and then Doctor it to my liking. It's definitely not a stand in for sweets. When I want chocolate or otherwise sugary goodness, soda is the last thing I would reach for to satisfy that.

I switched to diet soda in high school when I first started thinking about my weight and now I can't stand the taste of regular soda. The syrup feels so...I don't know thick? Diet soda hasn't helped me lose any weight but it certainly hasn't ever hindered me when I start cutting either. When I fail, my diet soda habit is the last thing I would say contributes. Regular soda is nowhere on my list of can't haves on a regular day because it's not even a temptation. So in that respect, I guess diet soda has helped me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    amber4625 wrote: »
    Or.... you could stop putting anything but WATER into your body. You only get one body right? There are things like aspartame in diet soda. What's that do? It is about 200 times sweeter than sugar, so much less of it can be used to give the same level of sweetness. This, in turn, lowers the calories in the food or beverage.

Think about what aspartame can do... Emotional Disorders... Cancer in the brain... Diabetes.... Epilepsy/Seizures.

Think about what water can do..... make you pee.... a lot....

:smiley:

:(
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Or.... you could stop putting anything but WATER into your body. You only get one body right? There are things like aspartame in diet soda. What's that do? It is about 200 times sweeter than sugar, so much less of it can be used to give the same level of sweetness. This, in turn, lowers the calories in the food or beverage.

Think about what aspartame can do... Emotional Disorders... Cancer in the brain... Diabetes.... Epilepsy/Seizures.

Nope about the aspartame! and here's why

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

^Came to post this link but it's already here. This is a great, informative link.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Nope about the aspartame! and here's why

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

^Came to post this link but it's already here. This is a great, informative link.

I think I will bump it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Sorry but you are misinformed. Aspartame is one of the most researched food additives out there. The rea search shows it is safe and does not CAUSE the health issues you claim in humans.

I'm pretty sure by now it's the most researched food stuff ever.