Long time maintainer, and sometimes I want to quit.

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Oh you're post sounds like where I thought I'd be if I had kept up with logging. I'm glad I decided to lose without it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Today is the last day of winter hooooraaayyy. I have logged everyday for 2 years, and yet i still put on around 3kgs(6lbs) over the winter. If i dont nip it in the bud now, in a few months it will be 6kgs and on and on it will go until it just becomes too hard..
  • crayonbreakywillow
    crayonbreakywillow Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh you're post sounds like where I thought I'd be if I had kept up with logging. I'm glad I decided to lose without it.

Curious...what has your strategy been, since you decided to quit logging?
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    I don't have anything to add since I'm nowhere near maintenance, but I did want to say that I like your screenname :)
  • crayonbreakywillow
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 Thank you!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Curious...what has your strategy been, since you decided to quit logging?

Eat light during the week, eat more on the weekends without pigging out, keep an eye on the scale. Lost 30ish lbs and have kept it off for about a year. Just now deciding to lose another 10 lbs so tightening my diet back up a bit.

I should note that I'm 53 and was at a healthy weight for over 40 of those, so eating reasonable amounts is not something new to me.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Wow! 90 pounds! You are my idol!
  • GoneGirl50
    GoneGirl50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight in about 8 - 9 months, then started to gain very slowly. My new lifestyle changes kept it under 5 - 6 lbs; however, I started to feel invincible, so I began to eat out more frequently, bought a large quantity of chocolates, and quit my walking group (that is another story). I realized that I've gained over 15 lbs back, I decided to get back here and put a stop to it.

It is hard to lose weight, so I"m going to start reading the maintenance community posts before I get to that point. My tentative plan is to do a modified fast one day per week to maintain my weight loss. If I discover a better option, I'll try it. I can't count calories for the rest of my life!
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I don't want to quit but, I'm also sick of being so fastidius. I went to a deli today and got this for $2.59 0acsn7a09tdc.jpg Alot better than going to subway right? I didn't have breakfast and i walked to the deli which is 2.4 miles one way away as well as walking to dunkin doughnuts for coffee this morning so why do i feel guilty?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    I don't want to quit but, I'm also sick of being so fastidius. I went to a deli today and got this for $2.59 0acsn7a09tdc.jpg Alot better than going to subway right? I didn't have breakfast and i walked to the deli which is 2.4 miles one way away as well as walking to dunkin doughnuts for coffee this morning so why do i feel guilty?

Oh man, that looks 1,000,000% better than subway.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Just eat less later/tomorrow.

Yesterday I made a whole wheat boule. It came out of the oven at 3.30pm... I had crazy carb cravings so I made myself a sandwich with two huge slices (400 calories of bread!), and some ham and swiss. It was amazing. I ended up skipping dinner (I wasn't that hungry anymore after that), went for a long walk, and I still ended up with a 300+ calorie deficit. Totally worth it.

Seriously though, most days if I end up giving in to something I'm craving (I also had a big bowl of rice with sugar and milk as a second breakfast yesterday morning!), I still end up under maintenance because I'm just less hungry later anyway... Ok I didn't hit my macros (was only 7/8g off though), but life's too short to deprive yourself all the time.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yesterday I made a whole wheat boule. It came out of the oven at 3.30pm... I had crazy carb cravings so I made myself a sandwich with two huge slices (400 calories of bread!), and some ham and swiss. It was amazing. I ended up skipping dinner (I wasn't that hungry anymore after that), went for a long walk, and I still ended up with a 300+ calorie deficit. Totally worth it.

Seriously though, most days if I end up giving in to something I'm craving (I also had a big bowl of rice with sugar and milk as a second breakfast yesterday morning!), I still end up under maintenance because I'm just less hungry later anyway... Ok I didn't hit my macros (was only 7/8g off though), but life's too short to deprive yourself all the time.

My goal is set for sedentary. so far today i have 13,288 steps at 3pm. I'm pretty sure that's not sedentary. I hope my indulgent days balance themself out in the long runr
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I've only been in maintenance since April after losing 90 lbs but I do have that longing to just eat whatever I want and go back to my old habits! And the jealousy that other people don't have to think about all this as much as I do and they can just go about their lives! Like others, I like being thin and I'm motivated to stay that way but some days are harder than others.

Something that works for me is taking weekends off of logging. Sometimes just a day, sometimes 3 days. I just eat what I want and don't care. I always gain weight of course, so then I eat at a slight deficit starting Monday morning and it comes off very quickly. I always continue with a high activity level and exercise. And it's not like I eat an entire pizza by myself, I do try to be mindful but I definitely go over by quite a bit and I don't log. I know this wouldn't work for everyone but I like it because i still get to really enjoy food on a regular basis but while still feeling in control of the process. I'd rather eat at a deficit some days and over eat other days than eat at maintenance all the time. But that's just what has worked for me. I'm still new to this so I'm assuming what works for me will change too!
    What you are doing is living like a skinny person. That is what they do! I think you've got it down. Skinny people eat what they want..they just don't do it constantly… they cut back after a big weekend..to them it is easy and makes sense and isn't a big deal.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

My goal is set for sedentary. so far today i have 13,288 steps at 3pm. I'm pretty sure that's not sedentary. I hope my indulgent days balance themself out in the long runr

>5000 steps = starts to exceed sedentary person calories
    >7500 steps = starts to exceeed lightly active person calories
    >10000 to 12000 steps = starts to exceed active person calories
    >12500 to 15500 steps = starts to exceed very active person calories

At > 13288 your corresponding MFP setting without logging any additional exercise would be "very active"
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You can take a break stop logging and see what happens but If you gain 5 lbs then you'll have to make a decision, to start logging or gain more weight and eventually... start logging again ;)
  • crayonbreakywillow
    Options
    Thanks again for all the responses!! Just a little update...so far this week, I haven't really logged. I've continued to weigh and measure my food, and quickly add the calories in my head, but not really log. I have tried not to spend too much time thinking ahead about what I'm going to eat. I've just made sure that each meal (breakfast,lunch,dinner,snacks) has been under the amount of calories I've allotted for that meal. 450-450-600-300. So far, I've been able to add in my head the approximate amount of calories I've had at the end of the day, and I've come in under that every day. I actually think I've been eating less calories this week and feeling more satisfied.

I may log this weekend because of the holiday and some events I have scheduled that are outside of the ordinary. Chances are, I'll end up over my calories, but I want to allow myself to enjoy without guilt. Anyway, I really feel hopeful that I will be able to eventually quit logging all together and be able to eat intuitively. It's still way too early to know that for sure, but I'm hopeful!
  • stephbroadbelt
    stephbroadbelt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the discussion! I reached my goal loss of about 15 lbs a year ago and have been logging maintenance since then. I can definitely relate to the OP about having to log. I pre-log most days to see where I can It's just a habit at this point and I don't feel bad about going over as long as I'm under or at maintenance the rest of the week. I've been within 5 lbs of my "goal weight" since last August so I feel pretty confident about being able to cut back when needed.

Where I'm having trouble is that my maintenance calories according to MFP and TDEE calculators is only about 1300-1400 calories. I have a pretty small build and am relatively active in the warmer months by working in a city and walking to/from public transit, but am getting discouraged about having to think about calories for the rest of my life to not gain a ton of weight. If I go over 1300 and don't have at least 15,000 steps that day I see the difference right away on the scale. For now I'm fine with logging and checking in, but I'm not even 30 yet and I get stuck looking forward and trying to motivate my future-self to exercise which is hard because I barely do now besides walking.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep following this thread, I really enjoy your updates and am looking forward to seeing how this phase of the process goes for you :) I really hope you get to where you want to be!