Does your partner having an interest in fitness matter to you?

Options
AdamAthletic
AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
So, I've dated a fair number of people with no interest in health and fitness, I really didn't think it'd matter to me.. But, it does!

The sheer amount of time I spend in gyms and outdoors means that unless my other half has similar interests - we would hardly see each other!

What's other people's take?
Does it matter to you?

Replies

• knr87
    knr87 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I think it's necessary for me. I love living an active lifestyle. If the man I am with doesn't enjoy that then someone is sacrificing. I would love to do these things with him.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I think it's important because I feel it's good to embrace a healthy lifestyle regardless of who you are to me. I really like staying active, so I would want a partner who is equally on the move or willing and able to keep up.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Conversely I had a policy of steering clear of gym addicts, though a handful expressed interest when I was on the prowl.

My reasoning was that there is room for only one vain person under a roof and I have always been immensely vain :p
    Ironically, I prefer being with someone who is a little vain for that exact reason.. So am I and I make no apologies lol!!

knr87 wrote: »
    I think it's necessary for me. I love living an active lifestyle. If the man I am with doesn't enjoy that then someone is sacrificing. I would love to do these things with him.

That's a great way to look at it too, fitness is a great thing for bonding because there are so many different things that people can do together to keep/get fit!
    I think it's important because I feel it's good to embrace a healthy lifestyle regardless of who you are to me. I really like staying active, so I would want a partner who is equally on the move or willing and able to keep up.

Totally agree with this too!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    It's unimportant to me but a plus if she is into it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm very active and love to dance. I love that my husband will dance with me, go for hikes, walks, and be generally active and adventurous. Plus good health means a long, healthy, happy life together.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    My husband has zero interest in health and fitness. I'd love it if he did, but that's like him wanting me to enjoy Star Wars.

This!!! He can go to boardgame night, I don't have to be included. We don't have to have all the same interests although for his health I'd like him to have a little more interest.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    My husband has zero interest in health and fitness. I'd love it if he did, but that's like him wanting me to enjoy Star Wars.

This!!! He can go to boardgame night, I don't have to be included. We don't have to have all the same interests although for his health I'd like him to have a little more interest.

Exactly. Sure, it'd be cool if he wasn't bored with my gym/workout stories, but I'd really like for him to care about his health. He recently said that he'll get concerned when he turns 40...as if quitting smoking, getting active, and eating right are going to be easier then. We'll see what happens in two years.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Yes because there are things I like to do fitness wise (hiking, climbing, jogging, etc.) and if she can't join in, then she feels left out. And that usually doesn't turn out well for a long term relationship. Good thing my SO does want to stay in shape by being a ballroom competitor and instructor.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I try to get to the gym 5 days a week. Not out of vanity, but more so I don't want tons of loose skin and I have a desk job, so it's often the only exercise I get all day. My ex never wanted to exercise and made so many excuses, but didn't have any problems chirping up about how I shouldn't lift heavy weights because I'd lose my chest. So yeah, I want my partner to be active. I think if you care about someone, you should want to make some attempt to keep yourself healthy.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

Exactly. Sure, it'd be cool if he wasn't bored with my gym/workout stories, but I'd really like for him to care about his health. He recently said that he'll get concerned when he turns 40...as if quitting smoking, getting active, and eating right are going to be easier then. We'll see what happens in two years.

haha yes everything after 40 is WAY easier!!!
    I have been an athlete all my life. I like having my thing be my thing. I would gladly teach my husband to skate but he will never be as good as I am and I know that would frustrate him. It's bad enough I get all the glory when we go curling since I'm a "natural", I'm just a natural athlete. He's a natural thinker.
    He does need to do something but I won't force him that has to be his decision but I'm happy to have my alone time at the rink, well except when people want me to help them but then there are times I just sneak in so I can have the ice to myself
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I really wish my husband had more interest in working out. He is not overweight and looks great but, his blood pressure is high and diabetes runs in his family (his sugar is not high but they are "watching" it). I'm a runner and I also lift heavy. He doesn't like the amount of time I spend at the gym or my Saturday morning "long runs" because of the amount of time I spend away from the house. Therefore, I get up at 4:00 AM so I can be at the gym by 5:00 and at work by 8:00. Not interrupting his schedule. It would be a lot easier if it were something we could do together.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    After the last two relationships "throwing me off course", I'm determined to stay aware of myself and would be more drawn to someone with an active lifestyle now. It only is my fault if I let someone else effect my choices, but it'd certainly be a lot easier if we were just on the same page from the start!

Single, yet married to my health
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, it matters. Neither my husband nor I have any interest in joining a gym, but we enjoy a lot of outdoor activities together. I am more focused on proper diet than him, but that's okay since I do most of the shopping and cooking. ;)
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    Important, just can't see myself with someone who isn't in to fitness
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Beth and I both value our fitness, we invest time and effort into it, eat well together, etc. I'm much more into the outdoors than she is, though. At first, we both thought this would sink us.

Sometimes we rent a cabin out in the mountains. She likes to read, or paint, or watch a movie, or play a game, in the hot tub, while I go out and do a really difficult ride or hike or climb. We both enjoy the "me time" and it works really well for us.

We do easier hikes together. Sometimes I come back and tell he about something beautiful I saw, and we go back and see it together.