Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Doing MFP catching up before bed and wanted to say ...
    Hi @jonalyn1 ... I took a peek at your profile and am glad another 'senior' is logging into this thread. Makes me feel not so along ... that reminds me ... Hi @grandmakaye44 ... hope you had a nice Labor Day weekend.

@Newcaddy ... Tracy, before I retired, a woman in my department (the cube next to mine) had weight loss surgery, I'm not certain what procedure was done because we weren't close enough for me to ask ... but she was out on disability for at least 6 weeks, maybe 2 months. We others in the department divied up her work load while she was gone. When she came back she was still using shakes for most of her meals but was eating solids at dinner with her family. I'd say inside of a month after returning to work she was eating regular food in the cafeteria at lunch break, just not very much at one time. Boy, she felt and looked good and dropped over 100 pounds during the first 9 months. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to stop her sweet tooth ... at first she stockpiled sugar-free hard handy to suck on, by that eventually gave way to the regular kind ... not chocolates or anything like that, it was all hard candy that you could suck on. (for me, I'd start out sucking on them, then start chewing them, then reach for more, more more ... so I had to just stay away from them unless I was somewhere that only had 1 or 2 pieces available to me. LOL) ... Hope your healing goes as smoothly as my work-mates did. She was a total walking advertisement for the surgery benefits.
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging words! I am not very good at that I need to keep a piece of paper near by as I read the posts! Today went to the Y water class today I love it but my anixiety is really high today normally the water helps me but not today! I wrote a grateful list to help with focus my other grounding skills not helping today! But they will! I think it is change is happening here it goes
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @Niki thanks for reminding me that I need to post. I had a lovely quiet weekend. Nicole's family went out of town for the weekend so didn't have the kids on Friday either. We had our usual waffle Saturday. Amy's family came over. They live in a neighboring town so they only make it about once a month. Cathy and I got in our walks, too.
    I should have gotten more done. I did get some much needed scrubbing done in my pantry. Most people talk about their walk-in closets. I have a walk-in pantry. It's pretty big and can get pretty dirty. Tomorrow Anya starts pre-school. I will be able to go to the 'Fit and Fall proof' class with DH. I couldn't go last year because I had Anya, but she'll be in school. I don't know how it will be for exercise burn.
    Just a word of encouragement for the newbies. I got to feeling kind of burned out. I tried a couple of different approaches which didn't work well for me and eventually quit altogether, resulting in a 40# weight gain. I have finally jumped back on the wagon, and it wasn't nearly as hard as I had convinced myself that it would be. It feels great to be back and in control again. I can't get my head around all of the mathematical formulas that some are using. I'm just a calories in calories out kind of girl. I'm seeing success. I hope to be back in onederland by the end of the month.
    @NewCaddy I hope that your recovery continues to go well. Be patient with yourself.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday already. I had a great activity filled weekend, ate right and maintained my intake. My disappointment at not going under 300 was tempered by my energy levels and results. I did 3.35 miles at a 15 minute pace! My heart rate monitor says I stayed under 150 for all but 15 minutes and even then it was under 160. Not the continual 170-190 it was two months ago.
    My weight loss is puzzling to me. 30 days ago I was 310ish. I lost consistently for a week and stopped at 305 held there for 12 days then dropped 4 overnight and have been bouncing up and down a pound since last week Tuesday. I lost 14 pounds between my July and august appointments and it fell off consistently. The stair step pattern frightens me. I kind of feel like I'm doing something wrong or worse; I feel like no matter what I'm not going to drop another pound, ever. Yes I'm down 8 lbs in 30 days. Yes that's great. Is my pattern normal though? 12 days is a really long time to get through with no change.
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,862 Member
    Options
    @pneschich I dont know how you do it! You have come SO FAR! I was told two things about weight loss: 1) the more you lose, the harder/slower it will take to lose the rest, 2) about every 20-30 lbs a platue is possible/probable because your body is adjusting to all the changes. You are seeing other side effects of losing Re: your decreased HR! That is awesome! When we are old and wrinkly, health is what will really count. You are healthier, stronger, better than before. Dont let the scale discourage you. You Rock!
    :heart: Rach
  • Nikion901
    Options
    ... but my anixiety is really high today normally the water helps me but not today! ...

LOL ... I am prone to anxiety also but don't like to admit it! Today I had to take the Senior Center Van to a doctors appointment because my car was in the repair shop. When I got to the checkout desk I called to tell them I could be picked up to take me home and they said 15-20 minutes. The person who was at the checkout turned out to be having some sort of issues that were taking a long time for the secretary to resolve and I could feel the minutes ticking by. By the time I got my turn I was starting to feel anxious and ended up telling her to mail me the result, prescription, and appointment card for next year's checkup because THE VAN WAS COMING ... then i went out to wait for it ... and wait ... and wait .... and wait. The van finally showed up 25 minutes late. Had to laugh at myself.

Just a word of encouragement for the newbies. I got to feeling kind of burned out. I tried a couple of different approaches which didn't work well for me and eventually quit altogether, resulting in a 40# weight gain. I have finally jumped back on the wagon, and it wasn't nearly as hard as I had convinced myself that it would be. It feels great to be back and in control again. I can't get my head around all of the mathematical formulas that some are using. I'm just a calories in calories out kind of girl. I'm seeing success. I hope to be back in onederland by the end of the month.

You are so correct Kaye ... don't quit but if you do, start back up again. And all you really need to focus on is the calories, well; for me and what kind of food those calories are made of. I'd rather live on pizza and wings and ice cream and snickers and potato chips but I don't because they don't do anything for me 'healthy factor'.

@pneschich ... @MermaidPrincessRach is right about those 2 things regarding weight loss. Just keep on staying the course. Unfortunately, our bodies are so darned meticulous ... as soon as we give them less food, and less weight, they start to respond as if that were normal and then we have to do something else to shake things out ... I read that for every 13 weeks you are in a reduced calorie state you need to eat at non-weight-loss calories for a couple of weeks and then you can cut again.

Yippie ... just got a call, my car is ready and they are sending the van to pick me up!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Just a quick check-in to update my goals. Still trying to plug away at the short stories, so I will come back tomorrow to do some personals.

Grading Goals:
    1. 45/82 Short stories
    2. 40/40 AP writing screeners DONE

Fitness Goals for the month of September:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week:
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 24:12
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end:

You vs Year Challenge:
    259 k done/ 741 k to go :smile: PAST the 25% mark!!

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- rest day
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + gym or run outside NOT DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Tuesday went much better. Went to the Y again so glad for deciding to join the Y. I wasn't sure at first that maybe it be a waste of money.

Food is going ok. Need to be more mindful of carbs and sodium in foods. Even though I buy salads now I still buy too much fast food. My weekends have been so busy I don't have time leftover to make meals ahead and after work adjusting to the long hours so we get dinner to go a lot. It is costly too.

I hope everyone has a good day!

Liz
    Idaho
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    So glad I finally found this group again. I looked and looked and gave up until I saw it again this morning. Thanks Robin for posting how to find my way back to it! It's very encouraging!
  • Nikion901
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wednesday Wish ... That my inkling on what helps me to lose weight may be confirmed as I continue to chart ...
    1 - my calorie intake, 2 - my grams of carbs - 3 my hours between last meal of the day and first meal of the next day (ok, call it Fasting time) - 4 my hours of sleep a night.

I think the hours of fasting and the number of hours of sleep play a bigger role than I ever considered. I won't say more until my hunch is confirmed or denied.

One of the challenged I am in has us tracking our Iron percentage this week. One of the leaders posted a chart of how many grams a day equals 100% of what is needed at different ages for both sexes. A women my age only needs 8 mg a day, that's 45% of what MFP defaults to. And for the last 2 days, I have met or exceeded my goal. Being a Premium Member, I get an analysis of the foods I ate and their percentage when I look at the Reports. And I was surprised to see how much iron is in foods besides meat ... For example, I'm halfway to my goal after breakfast this morning and what I ate was a half cup of dry old-fashion oatmeal cooked in 1 cup of water, with 1 large egg, and 2 medium sized fresh Italian prune plums, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon: and I am at 24% of my minimum 45%

@campfirequeen1 -- glad you found you way back and bookmarked the thread. That little yellow star!
    @Elizabeth2360 -- I might join the Y next year ... the walk is so far from the parking lot to and through the building to the area I use that I get my workout from the walk! ... but that's only because I cannot walk very far without assistance.
    @skinnyjeanzbound -- We know you are thinking of us. Get yourself caught up on life and then come visit.

PS ... oh yes, old head forget ... I also chart my physical activity, a.k.a. exercise! :)
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nikion901!!! Can you tell me how to friend someone? I'm so new to this and I'm really loving sharing experiences with some of you lovely people! I joined the Y as well, and it is a great source of group exercise for the elders and challenged with health issues. The lovely great indoor pool is a great way to exercise on old arthritic knees and hips!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    OK, how did I gain a pound and a half???

That happens to me all the time!
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Man o man I really didn't want to walk today. Wanted to sit on the couch eating my bell peppers, crunch crunch crunch. Wishing they were chips or ice cream. Made a really good grilled chicken with roasted tomato, garlic and onion sauce. Low fat no nothing but 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 6 tomatoes. Fresh steamed green beans too. I was good today I could skip. Man, I really didn't want to walk tonight. Yesterday was my rest day, I really didn't want to go out in the heat and humidity. Houston rain, just as bad evaporating as it is falling. Maybe worse. I did not want to go.
    I did. I went, It hurt, creaky knees, breathing off . It was work. I sweated like a pig. I didn't want to go. I did. 3.22 miles. 56 minutes. Slow, dogs fault :smile: I did, I'm glad. Still sucked. Glad I did.so is dog.
    Thanks for listening
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Thanks Nikion901!!! Can you tell me how to friend someone? I'm so new to this and I'm really loving sharing experiences with some of you lovely people! I joined the Y as well, and it is a great source of group exercise for the elders and challenged with health issues. The lovely great indoor pool is a great way to exercise on old arthritic knees and hips!

There might be an easier way, but I'll tell you how to do it from this thread ... (I don't accept friends on MFP cause of my own issues) ... Click on the person's name under their picture ... when that pops up, click on their name in the pop up ... it will take you to their profile page and there you will see 'Add as friend' as an option in the top of the page, across from their picture.

Hope you get the friends you seek.
  • lushjarosee
    lushjarosee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wednesday wish.... I wish I had more Halo Top... :'(
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!! Couldn't believe that when I stepped on the scale today it read 195.2. That's the biggest one-day drop I've seen in ages. I hope it's the sign that I'm on the right track with my new calorie allowance.

On the negative side, I made today my one maintenance day this week, but got zero added exercise today, so tomorrow will be tough. We have open house tomorrow night and we always go out for a drink or two afterwards. I am going to do my very best to make my food plan work so I can enjoy a couple of Captain and diets cokes without any guilt. Wish me luck. Hey and there's my Wednesday Wish! :smile:

I finished the grading listed below, and though I already have more to add, I'm going to enjoy one night with everything marked DONE.

Grading Goals:
    1. 82/82 Short stories DONE
    2. 40/40 AP writing screeners DONE

Fitness Goals for the month of September:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week:
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 24:12
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end:

You vs Year Challenge:
    259 k done/ 741 k to go :smile: PAST the 25% mark!!

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- rest day
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + gym or run outside NOT DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym or run outside NOT DONE
    Thurs-- rest day (open house)
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,862 Member
    Options
    @pneschich see! That slow walk you didnt want to take paid off! Eating peppers instead of chips paid off! You're DOING IT!! :smiley: Happy for you! :high five:
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @pneschich that's great! I'm very happy for you and hope to join you soon.

I'm busy today, still trying to catch up at work after the holidays and an unusually large number of meetings has made it harder and today I start my new class as well. I'm taking a Traditional Ecological Knowledge Anth course that should be awesome and dovetails with a new committee I'm on so the learnings should reinforce each other but I will be a bit busy. Having the support in place at work is great though and will help as things get crazy.

My Thursday truth is hard. I haven't written anything in more than a year. I want to write and have a novel that I started but I have stopped and not restarted. I want to recapture the enjoyment I felt when writing and finish this (tired of starting things and not completing) but I feel so busy. I hope to think on it a bit in the coming days and come up with a plan to get me going again. I am feeling a little hopeful because I gave up on my weight before and since starting this again it has been more fun and felt more achievable than last time so I hope than when I start writing again I will be able to get back into the swing of it fairly soon.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Thursday Truth ... I get frustrated. Frustrated sometimes that 'we' are all so busy-busy with everything else that 'we' put our health on the back burner of priorities.

Take me today, for instance. I had the perfect opportunity to get some really heavy cleaning done, and I have 3 exercise activities waiting to do today for the group challenge, and yet; I spent the entire day fooling around on line. Now it is supper time and I am tired, and it is dark outside, and I know I won't get even 1/4 done of what I had put on my to-do list for today. Thank God I had made a healthy soup earlier in the week as that plus the home made Greek Yogurt and a whole wheat burrito wrap were my supper today. Still, it wasn't macro friendly to be sure because I ended up high on carbs and low on protein for a second day in a row.

I've got to do better on Friday. Today, I'll have to satisfied that my calories are leaving room for a small late evening snack to get my minimum in for the day. Maybe I can get in 2 of thos exercises also.