WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    YEA PIP!! You go girl!! Have fun and be safe!!!! (you'll smoke Kirby next year anyway! :D )
  • meuy43
    meuy43 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Kim – My dog ate a plate full of Christmas cookies after a cookie swap one evening. We all laugh about it now but it was not so funny that day!!

Barbie – Hope you feel 100% better after your surgery and that your recovery will go quickly!

NYKaren – I looked up the TRX workout and it looks like fun. How was it, last night?

Lisa – I agree with you. If I get dressed right away, there aren’t as many excuses not to go. I must admit when I stay in my pjs, I spend more time drinking coffee but I get a lot more housework done that way!! Strangely, I always work better in pajamas.

I was in a hurry last night and got a rotisserie chicken and mashed potatoes at the store and steamed some broccoli – all for the kids. After making a small plate for myself, I logged in all the food and was surprised at how high the sodium count was for the day…. I paid for it dearly, this morning, when I woke up with a huge headache!! Would never have put the two together if I had not been logging in everything. Didn’t get rid of that headache til midmorning when I went to an estate sale near my house. A little “saling” was just what I needed. Got a beautiful Waterford vase for next to nothin’ and a couple other things I didn’t know I needed. Lol

Enjoy your Friday, Ladies!

Melissa in SoFL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: After mom died we sold the house to people who transformed it. They invited us in to see what they'd done and it was miraculous. I still feel good about it. :bigsmile:

JanetR: I hope you have a wonderful trip and check in as often as it is practical. Lots of hotels have wifi and I wonder if campgrounds will, too. Bon Voyage! :bigsmile:

Kim: We went the decaf route a few years ago while on a health crusade. Later we discovered that caffeine was not the problem we had thought and now we're back to full strength caffeinated coffee. My sister-in-law is a decaf drinker and we always have a pot for her when she visits. She makes caffeinated coffee for us when we visit her, too. (((HUGS)))

Lisa in W TX: I followed the link to the "bomb threat" and it put a smile on my face. Not only that, I have a new understanding of the old Ritchie Valens song, La Bamba. :devil: Thanks! :bigsmile:

Janice in Va, Beach: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I have some ideas that can help you enjoy the birthday celebration AND stay within your goals. Idea number 1: Order your favorite meal with a "togo" box delivered at the same time as the meal. Put half in the "togo" box to enjoy again tomorrow. Idea #2: Order two or three high protein, low fat appetizers instead of a main course. Both strategies work well for me and leave me feeling "treated" instead of "cheated." :smiley:

Carol: Thanks for the good wishes for DH. The medication he was taking caused harm. Getting rid of it has resulted in improvement with mobility although it has given him a digestive upset. Our doctor recommended probiotics so we went out and got Greek Yogurt. It seems to be helping. :smiley:

Mary: I did kettlebell swings at the gym yesterday: 3 sets, 10 reps, 15 lbs. I was careful with form and it felt great. Today is a yoga day for me, and I hope to get to the gym early enough to do some circuit work and kettlebells. We'll see. I am motivated to do whatever I can to be healthier. I got into trouble increasing kettlebell weight too quickly along with sloppy form, so I'm planning to be the tortoise in this race. Slow and steady wins the prize. :bigsmile:

Yoga today! YAY!!!!!!! I'll also do some circuit work. It looks like a pretty day outside. I think the dog will luck out and get a nice walk today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,131 Member
    Options
    Katla- great job! It takes me 12 weeks to get ready to increase to the next Kettlebell! I'm a tortoise too!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My very large Akita/ German Shepherd mix could rest his head on the dining room table. One day a male friend came over and we barbequed rib eye steaks. He unwisely set his plate down, with the steak on it, and turned away from the table. In one gulp the steak was gone. I lost this sweet but stupid guy a couple of years ago and I still grieve.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Just been to a local charity called Back2Bikes to collect my trike which they have serviced for me. It's been stuck at the back of the garage gathering dust and in July I was involved with a Festival of Refashioning and Repair at church networking with the local borough and county councils and other local charities and initiatives (all about reusing, recycling and all the other re's you can think of). Back2Bikes had a stall and encouraged me to give it another go! So having triked home 30 minutes I am hooked again! I even had someone in a car stop and say she had a trike and could we go triking together!

I have tried to attach a photo...

Maryann in UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip, good luck, have fun and be careful. We are here lying through the wind with you.

Barbie, so sorry you have to have surgery and do a major curtailing of your normal activities that help keep your sanity. But knowing you, you will find some way to keep on doing some kind of exersice, maybe in a chair? Could you ride in a wheel chair while your DH walks the dogs so that you are still experiencing the time with them.

Almost went to the ER last night. My B/P was high yesterday at the doctor's office and it only continued to rise and then the headache started. It was when B/P was 165/102 and headache was almost unbearable that I almost went. But I am pretty sure I have some kind of nerve problem at the base of my skull. I have had injections there before. It is much better today, got very little sleep and I was loaded up with more pain medicine I needed to have in me. Am waiting on a return call from cardiologist office.

Joyce, Indiana
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    joyce take care hope the b/p issues are resolved quickly

Melissa TRX class was taught by a different teacher--hard core boot camp
    Style with loud music YIKES :s I felt nauseous 15 minutes in so I snuck out and walked the treadmill :# I will make sure it is a different teacher next time I go cause I really just want to focus on strength training that I liked so much the last class
    NYKAREN
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Kim, we used to have a dog that was a counter surfer. Once he got a whole pound of cheese that I had just grated for a dish. Sorry about your muffins.

MicheleNC, does Dianna wear your mom’s ring or just keep it in a jewelry box? If she doesn’t, maybe you could ask her to loan it to you for an extended period? Just a thought.

Katla, buying a saddle is not exactly like buying a horse but it sounds exciting to me. I agree that leasing is the best option and just hope you can find one that fits your needs. That is wonderful that your DH just keeps improving!!! So happy for both of you! happy-clap.gif

Joyce, we had a foot or more of sewer back up in our basement when we lived in Milwaukee, so I know exactly what you went through. And yes, seeing the toilet paper floating around really didn’t do us any good. Ewwwwwshocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Barbie, sorry about the restrictions that come with it but how wonderful that they do have a solution to the pain. (((Hugs)))

Re, thanks for the Love and back at ya, sister, along with all the lovely ladies here. 1225937vbk9bw5zc5.gif

Lenora, you illustrated exactly what I was saying. I didn’t mean that it’s not sad to leave a home we loved, but that we will always have the memories, wherever we go.

KarenVA, how cool to get to see that house under renovation. When I was a Realtor a friend of mine in our office advertised her listings as “Previously Loved”. :p

Janetr, safe travels. Did you take an antihistamine for the rash? I hope it goes away quickly.

KJ, it sounds like you earned your keep yesterday with the kids. So glad today is better for all of you.

Janice, one of the first things I learned when I started this journey was it’s not always good to eat out. I love the restaurants that post the menu with calories on line so I can check before we go. Now you know for the next time.

Pip, great video. Thanks for posting it.

Maryann, good for you getting back on the bike/trike.

Joyce, sorry to hear about your headache. Glad it was better today.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had a good workout at the gym yesterday. Today I’m making some ham and bean soup, with a few other veggies thrown in. I didn’t sleep well at all last night and tried to take a nap this afternoon but that didn’t go anywhere either. I just hope I can sleep tonight. I love hearing about all that is going on with all of you. Please know that you inspire me.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: The video for the MS Deception Pass ride grabbed my heartstrings. Thank you for sharing, and for riding. :heart: :heart: :heart: I love the photos of Twinkie and your campsite, too. :bigsmile:

Joyce: (((HUGS)))

DJ: Thanks for your kind words. :flowerforyou:

I had a great time at yoga today and am currently getting ready to pick cherry tomatoes out in the yard. I planned to do it earlier but a friend wanted to go for a walk. Now it is hotter than I'd like, so I'm dragging my feet.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    Pip and Kirby~ Have a great time and stay safe!!!
    back from the wake, and it was HUGE... the family has been in this town for ages, and it was such a tragedy.just a terrible accident and really no one was at fault, he either tried to jump off the bike or swerve out of the way of a delivery truck, and wasn't able to..Wife my dear friend is holding up well,Shock hasn't set in yet...I am waiting for all of it to slow down then will make her something yummy, and take her some tea, and maybe some nice bath salts or something.. she is the one who had a double mastectomy last yr or the year before, she is in remission God Bless her..
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    Hello dear friends. My 2 days off flew by. I did have to come in for several hours on Wednesday to deal with a couple things. But I do feel my eating was on track. Working the 6-5:30 shift today and then going to take DGD to her school's picnic. Her parents are going to the visitation for the young girl that passed earlier this week.
    Went to the denist yesterday and got the imprints made to make my new dentures. He really wants to put 2 screws in my jaw to clamp the bottoms to. I do not want them, just teeth that fit. I told him if I would of known my mouth would shrink I would of thought twice about losing weight. No really but I was so upset. I know several people that wear dentures and they do not have the problems I do. So far my part after insurance is $692. So that is paid and now I go back in 3 weeks for a fitting and I just pray this goes well.
    Heather--I agree that you should not take it personal. They have had a lot of changes in a short period of time. You are an fantastic grandparent.
    Been a very busy day and have a headache so going to sign off for now. We can do this.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND ,NE
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Kim, Miriam, and DJ, We have an old dog right now that's pretty frail. He won't walk up the stairs in the house, DH has to carry him! If we don't bring him up with us, he cries pitifully :(
    But, there can be a loaf of bread pushed far back on the counter and he can jump up and get it every time! Go figure...

Barbie, I'm so glad the doctors figured our what was wrong. And I'm sorry that you have to have surgery, but it will hopefully help a lot!

Pip, beautiful scenery!!!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Janetr OKC – Did you have the shingles vaccine after you had the shingles? That is supposed to make any subsequent breakouts not be so bad. Both of my boys had significant shingles; DOS under his arm and around to his back. DYS had them up his neck, over his head and in his mouth. He ended up having to go to a Periodontist to find out what was happening to him. Neither the MD nor the dentist he went to had a clue. The hygienist went to get the dentist when she looked at him, and he told him what he had and sent him to a regular MD that gave him medication; he gave him a rinse to wash out his mouth. Then he went back several times, before they cleared up and he had to have gum surgery. He took the vaccination afterwards. He had to stay at the lake and his wife and child had to stay in town because she has never had the chicken pox and that is the only way it can be spread.

Have a wonderful trip!

Kim from N. California and Joyce – We moved from a 2400 sq. ft. ranch to a 1400 (or less) with an open plan. Other than closets which are small because we failed to draw them in when we made the plans to build. I would have wanted it to be 6’ longer and 4’ wider if I had my choice; and instead of building the FP inside; I would have put it so that the front of the face of the FB would have been even with the wall. It is big and blocks just an inch or two of the TV from my site of the TV unless I lean to the right in my chair; that's just not comfortable to me.

Kelly – I’d want to be able to do things on my own steam, too, if I lived to be 100 or more. There is a lady in the group that I paint with at the Senior Citizens Center who is 97 (probably now 99); and, you would never guess it. She is very active; has had her 2nd bout of cancer. Her daughter wanted her to move in with them, in Atlanta, after her husband (also very active) suddenly died. She told her she had no intention of leaving Albany and all her friends and her church. She and her husband went to Mexico several years ago, and brought each member a doll made of paper mâché.

Janice in VA Beach – Talk about the food at Carabba’s; the closest one to us is in Macon, GA; but, we do have an Olive Garden. A few weeks ago we went and had the Eat One, Take One; and we actually ended up making 8 meals out of what we took home and the one that was the Take One. The left-overs from the meal and the pot pie that we each got one. That is big enough for 4 people to eat.

Carol (Peach1948) – Going by the serving sizes on soup that you buy in a grocery store, I would say about 1 cup; then, if you want to stretch it put it over ½ cup of cooked white rice or brown rice. I feel the same way you do about ‘hot’ coffee and I really don’t like picking up a cup and finding it is lukewarm or cold. I pour mine into a thick cup and it holds a cup-and-a-half. At night I will eat one of my protein bars; cutting it in half so that I have some to eat with both cups. I nibble them to make them go further. DH usually brings my coffee to me, because I am pretty unsteady on my feet after I get up.

Pip – Wow, the wires; every place we have lived in the past 35 years had all the wired buried or running in down the alley in the back of the houses. If it had not cost so much we might have built our house a little further off the dirt road in front of it; but, we are far enough back and the road is higher than the house with planted pine trees that we have thinned for the last time. Other than to cut down the ones that die, during the year. Usually about 2 or 3 trees out of 40 acres. That is called minimal. We just have to watch out that we don’t get beetles in them.

When I was a child, the wires around the courthouse we strung up to the top of the courthouse building and it looked like a huge Christmas tree. A friend of mine, who still lives there said they had talked about going back to doing that. They lit them on Thanksgiving night; and, coming home from our grandmother's house, Daddy would stop and wake us up so we could see them at the 'high point' of the road we came home on. You could even see it from the Interstate, about 3 miles away. We would be nearly 12 miles away when we first could see it.

Enjoyed the clip you posted, beautiful country! I’d like to have a lot or two on that beach below it. That looked very relaxing!

DJ – I have had good memories about every house/and the apartments we each lived in when we were first married. Believe it or not, our first house only cost $9000; but, it was definitely a 'fixer upper'. It was 2 stories and had a lot of built-ins. The worst part was that the family who had owned it, just moved out of it leaving behind food in the kitchen cabinets. Nothing smells as bad as rotten potatoes. I thought we'd never get the smell out of the kitchen. Painting it with "Kiltz" finally did the trick. We’ve move 8 times since we got married 44 years ago; now we are living out our retirement years. Well, I am … DH will always be working … he is not a workaholic … he just likes to keep moving and be around people. He is more of a 'people' person and I am a lot quieter. Believe that, or not. LOL!

Lenora