September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Do you not add up your scheduled miles and make a goal based on that total? Eliminates the crunch!
    Yeah, I did, just a tighter margin than I've had... lol margin is like 8 miles on the month. I think it's just need sxhool stress bleeding over into my run planning

I always give myself 10-15 miles leeway because I know I won't get in every scheduled mile. But as always (and as hard as it is to remember): quality > quanitity!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I always give myself 10-15 miles leeway because I know I won't get in every scheduled mile. But as always (and as hard as it is to remember): quality > quanitity!
    It's the 6 days in thr month after the race that are wild cards for me. I'm planning a VERY easy recovery run the day after, then 2 full days off and starting VERY easy miles on thr 4th through 6th after.

Schedule calls for rest tomorrow, but I've been running every Monday, so I'm thinking of running 4 at recovery pace to keep my rhythm going.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've decided I hate having a monthly mileage goal, and a race, in the same month. There's part of me trying to figure out how to get the taper and recovery I need, and still get the 60 more miles I need to make the mileage goal....ugh....I'm not the kind of person who's good at having 2 goals at once. Looks like the mileage goal will be the one to suffer. I really want to do well at the HM.

Monthly mileage goals are good motivators, but a year from now, you are not going to remember if you made your monthly goal in September of 2016, but you are going to remember your half marathon PR. :) Race goal>mileage goal!

@kristinegift -Great race photo! Look at those leg muscles!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Do you not add up your scheduled miles and make a goal based on that total? Eliminates the crunch!
    Yeah, I did, just a tighter margin than I've had... lol margin is like 8 miles on the month. I think it's just need sxhool stress bleeding over into my run planning

Well . . . I just threw a number out there for September, and realized a couple days ago that I didn't account for the taper to Rochester and reverse taper on the other side. So I set a bad goal, and probably won't hit the number.

Doesn't matter. The real goal is to manage Rochester well and have a good recovery. (Yeah, a 2018 BQ would be nice; but that probably happens anyway, unless BAA makes the 2018 target faster for 60 year olds.) Just have to remember what's most important, and not chase the monthly mileage goal to the detriment of more important goals.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Monthly mileage goals are good motivators, but a year from now, you are not going to remember if you made your monthly goal in September of 2016, but you are going to remember your half marathon PR. :) Race goal>mileage goal!
    Probably thr last race of the year for me too. Just want to get through the next two weeks healthy so I can attempt a monster PR at the HM. Training runs point toward me smashing my last race time but the jitters are real. Mileage goal will just have to take a back seat to getting through the race
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    9/1 – 10.07 warmup + tempo intervals
    9/2 – 7.76 partial course preview
    9/3 – 3.80 easy 30 minutes
    9/4 – 15.44 warmup + Oak Tree Half
    9/5 – 4.52 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    9/6 – 6.72 warmup + speed work
    9/7 – 4.04 easy
    9/8 – 7.18 warmup + intervals
    9/9 – rest day
    9/10 – 6.06 easy
    9/11 – 11.04 partial course preview

September total to date – 76.63

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Manage Rochester Marathon well as a race, recover quickly.

Today's notes – Today's assignment was 1.5 hours easy. It's the last run of any substance on the training schedule; the rest of this week is little stuff designed to let the runner heal up physically and frustrate the runner mentally so he is ready to perform on race day. Because this is the last chance to get any substantive distance in, I drove to Seneca Park Zoo and parked in the lot to jump off and preview the last part of the Rochester course.

I hadn't remembered how substantive the elevation change was on the tag end of the course after the loop, so it was good to have that preview. Then getting back to my car didn't take enough time, so I did an out and back on the most boring part of the course because that's what was there. Ended up chopping about 3 minutes off the goal duration due to intestinal distress; then got in my car and drove to the nearest publicly available rest room I knew about.

That's a reminder to watch my diet closely for a couple days before the race. Too much fiber can be as bad as not enough fiber. Enough said. I lived through it.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    October 2, 2016 USATF Masters 5K Championship (Syracuse, NY)
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY)
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for a 10km run IN THREE WEEKS TIME.

What was I thinking - I nearly die running 6km!!!

:cold_sweat:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Just signed up for a 10km run IN THREE WEEKS TIME.

What was I thinking - I nearly die running 6km!!!

:cold_sweat:

Take it slow and easy, don't "race" it, just use it to gain experience. You got this.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I haven't had time to check in much here and am 160 posts behind :frowning: We ran 6 miles in the morning and then went to an agility trial all afternoon in exhausting heat. Went back there today but Hobbes the Vizsla did better and had a qualifying run that earned him a 1st place! My daughter also arrived today and we are taking her out for her birthday tonight and I leave for Florida way too early tomorrow morning. I am hoping to catch up while I am en route, I know there are lots of races and running to catch up on!

Date.........Miles........Total
    09/01.......5.23.........5.23 + Strength training and Rally
    09/02.......4.67.........9.90 - SLOG Run
    09/03.......0.00.........9.90 - Rest
    09/04.....13.87.......23.77
    09/05.......5.75.......29.52 - Recovery because it was too lovely out not to go.
    09/06.......4.39.......33.91 + Strength training
    09/07.......0.00.......33.91 - Rest
    09/08.......5.32.......39.23
    09/09.......0.00.......39.23
    09/10.......6.34.......45.57
    09/11.......0.00.......45.57

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I was doing some comments on the 3 pages of posts and then MFP Turtled and all was lost. :(
    Sorry not going back as there is to much to cover.

@emmab0902 @MNLittleFinn , @kristinegift and @MobyCarp have covered it best in replies to other runners doing a "First Event". All I can add is Go out and have fun.
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Just signed up for a 10km run IN THREE WEEKS TIME. What was I thinking - I nearly die running 6km!!! :cold_sweat:

Take it slow and easy, don't "race" it, just use it to gain experience. You got this.
    @jodilynnsanders5104 For your 5k, start out slow; don't let the crowd get you going way faster than you've practiced. After the first mile you can ramp it up if you feel good. But like @MobyCarp said: run your own race and don't mind those are slower or faster. Good luck!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    September goal.....run/jog/prance

9/1 3.12
    9/2 4-ish (technology malfunction...)
    9/3 strength/core training
    9/4 3.18
    9/5 rest
    9/6 3.25 + strength/core
    9/7 5.7
    9/8 strength/core training
    9/9 rest
    9/10 3.25
    9/11 3.16 + strength/core

Total 22.41

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Very nice weather today.....in the 70's with a cool wind. Very crowded on the trail. Everyone wanted to walk their dog today. Planned to run 10 miles at max heart rate of 77-83% but decided on 9 miles because it was getting late and I still needed to shop for groceries. Average was 82% and achieved in just under 2 hours....noted tightened quads and sore right hip again. I noted that I instantly became tired after 6 miles....I think that it is psychological, because I didn't exert myself at all the first 6 miles except to sprint across a crosswalk before the light changed...heart rate didn't increase at all (during the sprint). Also noted that I ran the miles slower as I tried to maintain that pace.

Is it too late to work on my base before the next half marathon race....reading "80/20 running"...on chapter 3.

I have been asking about supplements because it seems that a fair amount of people on this site are injured or have suffered injuries. The supplements I have been using lately are Taurine...to help with sleep (and recovery)...I work shift work...so I experiment all of the time with sleepers. Using ALCAR (acetyl-L-carnitine)...to help stay awake....I had to increase my dosage to 4 grams prior to work..must be building some tolerance. May try ALCAR before my next runs....see if I improve my recovery. Some days I feel like Elvis. (LOL)

After I fell on the ladder I had my right knee x-rayed...no fracture but it showed mild degenerative disease in the medial area of my knee...code for osteoarthritis....so surprised to see it on my films...I recently added MSM to my supplements...it is very vile tasting....like "skunk"....even tomato juice doesn't improve it.

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles
    9/9....6 miles...
    9/10....4 miles
    9/11...9 miles.....total of 29 miles

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/17

• ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Felt great running 3mi today :)
    exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Made it to DC yesterday around 3:30pm after taking a shortcut to see Antietam, while reducing my final day ride to a more manageable 112 miles (with only 85 of those miles on the bumpy C&O towpath). With the weather up to 95, and only an hour of slack time before needing to go to a birthday party, I decided to just skip my post-ride run, and let my legs recover as left leg was starting to bug me.

Still, I met up with another friend this afternoon to join him and his drinking/running group for a short 3 mile hash run through the wilderness. Although I was hoping to do more, I think after 3 consecutive 100+ mile days of trail riding on my bike, a light day was probably in order.

Planning a mid distance run tomorrow around the Capitol before the steelers/redskins game, then more runs around Philly this week as I'll be there the following 3 days (for some Pirates games).

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles
    9/3 - 12 miles
    9/4 - 16 miles
    9/6 - 10.5 miles (w. HM pace running at end)
    9/7 - 6 miles
    9/9 - 6 miles
    9/11 - 3 miles

Total: 69.5 miles, 1 MP+ faster session
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: 120.5 miles, 7 MP+ faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13

@_nikkiwolf_ - congrads on your half marathon PR!!

@MobyCarp - eagerly awaiting the 19th to register, as I'm in the "less than 5 minutes" group (but aging up for the 2018 race)

@ddmom0811 - Did the same ride 2 years ago on a much lower mileage base, and was in pain/dead every day. This time, aside from some light soreness, I finished each days ride about 2-3 hours earlier, and even felt good enough to do a post ride run on day 2. Should be good to go for my ironman in another 8 weeks.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Personal note. I'm finally getting over this flare up. I talked dh into a walk. My cats are crazy and follow us. All three of them. That's how you heard 'em, ignore 'em and they'll follow. Anyhow, my wee bit was in the road and a car was coming, so I chased her. Yes, I ran, maybe 10 yards. My legs were like "wtf, why has it been so long". DH isn't keen in my desire to self rehab. I'm happy. I can feel tired leg muscles. Tomorrow is a swim day. I wanna run.

@Elise4270 That has just made my day! So happy to hear that.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    Short post today...ran 8km yesterday. Was expecting to do it at a very slow pace, but managed to run it close to my 5k pace.

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles
    9/7: Rest day 4 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles with Thursday crew!
    9/9: Rest day
    9/10: 5.3 miles
    9/11: 13.1 - Via HM
    9/12: 3 miles with Coffee Crew!

After a huge feast of Indian food last night for a friend's bday dinner, I got to bed late and getting up this morning was rough. I was glad to only be doing the second 3 mile loop with my Coffee Crew at 6:30. It was a totally gorgeous morning to run though; 55 degrees, slight breeze, sun just coming up. Hopefully this cooler weather is here to stay!

Only evidence I ran a race yesterday is that my quads are mysteriously sore (and my calves are tight, but that's pretty normal). I foamrolled my calves a bit before I headed out and they were fine for the run but my quads were sore and I don't know why! I didn't push hard at all yesterday, there were basically no hills... I am going to blame the heat.

But my calf strain is now fine; it was only minimally bothersome yesterday (on the 6 miles of cinder path) and was fine this morning. So I am giving myself the green light/all clear to resume hard training again. I've got a 50 mile week on the schedule and I'm so excited!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Health Network Via Half-Marathon DONE!
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon