INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Options

Replies

• Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »
    For those who don't rate IF and generally feel cico is the only thing that matters, what are your thoughts on pre workout/post workout meals?

Alan Aragon covers that quite a bit in his work and has shown that there is no difference in meal timings. The window for protein synthesis elevation is rather long, about 24-48 hours. A lot of people feel better eating before and/or after a workout so it's up to you if you choice to or not.

I haven't looked into his work, I shall. Have you tried IF and been unsuccessful with it or saw no difference from what you're currently doing?

I did it for a couple months but just never really enjoyed it nor found any particular benefit for me personally. I like having a more open eating schedule and never really got into the groove of it.

Clearly a breakfast man then lol. It's been a hot minute since I've ate before even 12 pm. The hunger just isn't there that early.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Yeah. You can eat once a day or several smaller meals a day. I tried 6 small meals a day and was miserable. I eat 2 larger meals and am happy. Other people like to graze and hate to eat in a small window of time. Everyone is different

I don't think anyone here actually eats the typical "6 small meals" a day tho, it's borderline ridiculous eating that frequently. I generally eat 2/3 times a day myself too. Just over a shorter time period.

Oh, you need to hang around the bros more lol. There are a lot of 6 meal a day guys in the bodybuilding community.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »
    Looks like the woman that started this thread is using a different name or is no longer on the site......way to go....

Not sure how to post to direct comments but giving this a go - here I am and still reading with interest. Not sure why that would bother you even if I wasn't though?

So whatcha think of all this back and forth?!?! LOL
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yeah. You can eat once a day or several smaller meals a day. I tried 6 small meals a day and was miserable. I eat 2 larger meals and am happy. Other people like to graze and hate to eat in a small window of time. Everyone is different

I don't think anyone here actually eats the typical "6 small meals" a day tho, it's borderline ridiculous eating that frequently. I generally eat 2/3 times a day myself too. Just over a shorter time period.

Oh, you need to hang around the bros more lol. There are a lot of 6 meal a day guys in the bodybuilding community.

Lol, I'm good. My prehistoric days with things fitness are well and truly over. I do it my way now.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    16:8 here and I eat damn near the entire 8 hours it feels like.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I inadvertently fast once every so often. I will not eat for a day and it seems to do some interesting things for my diet. First of all, I tend to lose around 2 pounds, and if I was stalled before hand, the pace picks right back up. I am to a point now where when the day happens, I don't even miss the food.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options

This is the formula that MFP has put up for me after putting in my weight and height.

SW: 103.40 kg - 227.95 lbs
    Height: 173 – 5.7 ft
    GW: 70kgs - 154.32 lbs

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Christina

For your height and weight that is not enough calories!!! 1200 is too little. Your BMR is 1800 calories. I'm not sure how you have come to the number of 1200?

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

This is the formula that MFP has put up for me after putting in my weight and height.

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Christina

For your height and weight that is not enough calories!!! 1200 is too little. Your BMR is 1800 calories. I'm not sure how you have come to the number of 1200?

I agree, OP have you just taken that number yourself? I don't believe MFP would give that to you but I could be wrong.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If she put a weight loss goal of 2 lbs a week it might have. Even with IF, I couldn't do 1200.
    I wouldn't last a week.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    jimshine wrote: »
    I inadvertently fast once every so often. I will not eat for a day and it seems to do some interesting things for my diet. First of all, I tend to lose around 2 pounds, and if I was stalled before hand, the pace picks right back up. I am to a point now where when the day happens, I don't even miss the food.

The two pounds will mostly be glycogen depletion and associated water loss and a small amount of fat and likely some muscle too. It takes about 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat and 2500 to burn a pound of muscle off. Depending on your activity and weight you'll probably burn 2400 to 3000 or so calories a day and you can metabolize about 66 calories per pound of fat per day.

One thing you probably did was get rid of excess water retention to get your weight moving down again.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your responses – what a great community and loving the debates too. I have copied the four or so answers to my last questions into a doc to refer to, as it will be really useful to keep me on track and has made things so much clearer for me. Thanks guys and girls for your time and explanations.

So I now understand there are dozens of different types of diets and eating schedules out there, but to reach my own personal goal post and win the weight loss battle, I just need to make sure I am at a calorie deficit in line with how much exercise I do.

IF is definitely helping me keep the calories down - on most days - so it works for me, but may not for everybody.

And to maintain healthiness I should eat a nutrient rich, balanced diet, but not beat myself up for having the occasional 'bad' junk food (like wine, pork belly pizza and curly fries last night) as today I will get back on track with more 'good' foods. I will add bacon to my poached eggs and spinach today, so I am introducing more fat and protein.

I have also read on another post that no foods should be considered 'bad' so long as you are sticking within your calories. However I am not sure I agree with that, as most of the additives that go into processed foods are considered bad here for a myriad of health reasons, so I will try to stick to eating 'clean foods' as much as possible.

Thank you for the advice on coffee too. I’ll keep to my black coffee whilst fasting, as I like the taste now and would rather keep butter for later with food, and coconut oil for mixing with turmeric and doing 'teeth pulling' (It really does seem to make teeth whiter and gums healthier :)

I am concerned the coffee might be leading to more water retention though....

I also know what macros are now, so thank you for making that easy to understand.

According to my MFP food chart diary every time I eat something high in protein it ups my fat intake, so I am always way over the recommended daily intake. My carbs and fat are always over and my protein, sodium and sugar are always under. I am not sure how to work out the percentages, however I now understand that maintaining my calories-in is probably more important at this stage than trying to balance everything else perfectly.

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Anyway thanks for bearing with a newcomer to the whole weight and health tracking thing. I have really appreciated the helpful feedback and support

Christina

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Tweaking my numbers went on for a while but I was always high calorie so it was like 6 weeks before I lost the first pound by I got my pain managed OK in the first 30 days and that has been my only goal for changing my way of eating (WOE). The foods that are bad for my pain levels and weight are highly processed carbs in my case so I have left them off for the past two years and am down 50 pounds as a side effect.

As I became non obese and blood work has greatly improved the way I eat has self modified from time to time which is normal.

Keep up your efforts and the results will continue to follow. Best of success and welcome to MFP forums. You are a self thinker it seems so I think you will be just fine. No other will know our own body and its needs the way we do if we make that our goal.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Christina

I agree, OP have you just taken that number yourself? I don't believe MFP would give that to you but I could be wrong.

Me either even with 2lb loss!!! I was near her starting weight and for 2lb loss I was at 1800 calories?

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    If she put a weight loss goal of 2 lbs a week it might have. Even with IF, I couldn't do 1200.
    I wouldn't last a week.

My stomach just kicked me when I thought about 1200 cals per day. :wink:

• jessilynmelendez
    jessilynmelendez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    She's literally an inch shorter than me and within 5-10 lbs of my goal weight. When I've had less to lose, crash dieting worked, but not for serious weight loss. She's obviously marketing.

I've maxed 1200 calories per day, with a goal of 1000 net, and burned an average 600 in exercise, and I've lost 14lbs my first month. So from 212 to 198 lbs. And a lot of that time was muscle building, which made the scale stick. I'm nowhere near my goal, and this kind of restriction isn't for everyone, but then again I'm making no recommendations and not participating in direct sales.

If you must Google, only use studies from .gov sites, or from peer reviewed, validated journals, and understand the statistical analysis and methods used in the study. Or buy her schtick. But honestly, fasting at an inch taller at that weight, I'd lose 10lbs just sleeping for 2 weeks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    She's literally an inch shorter than me and within 5-10 lbs of my goal weight. When I've had less to lose, crash dieting worked, but not for serious weight loss. She's obviously marketing.

I've maxed 1200 calories per day, with a goal of 1000 net, and burned an average 600 in exercise, and I've lost 14lbs my first month. So from 212 to 198 lbs. And a lot of that time was muscle building, which made the scale stick. I'm nowhere near my goal, and this kind of restriction isn't for everyone, but then again I'm making no recommendations and not participating in direct sales.

If you must Google, only use studies from .gov sites, or from peer reviewed, validated journals, and understand the statistical analysis and methods used in the study. Or buy her schtick. But honestly, fasting at an inch taller at that weight, I'd lose 10lbs just sleeping for 2 weeks.

You'll be losing muscle running such a large deficit, not building/gaining any. Water retention due to a new workout regime would be the more likely of cause of the scale sticking.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Christina

@Original_Beauty Did you plug her numbers into MFP?
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Christina

@Original_Beauty Did you plug her numbers into MFP?

@DebSozo
    Her stats were pretty much the same as mine but a little taller. I just did it on MFP and her BMR is 1780?