Why does everybody detest low carb diets? They are the only thing that works for me

Replies

• sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Yeah well I not only go by how my body reacts, but also I read articles in medical journals. So yeah, carbs like pasta, breads and grains are not that good for you at all. They are indeed worthless. Fibrous carbs are very good for you as well as a moderate amount of protein and good amount of fats. You can keep your insulin in check which is a healthier way to live. Everyone gets hungry shortly after eating complex carbs because they experience an insulin spike then crash resulting in hunger and or tired. People are finally finding out that our brain and cells are made up of mostly fat, not glucose, that's old out dates stuff.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited September 2016
    sbubenchik wrote: »
    Yeah well I not only go by how my body reacts,
    As do I, and mine reacts fine to a balance of all 3 macros...
    but also I read articles in medical journals.
    As do I and nothing conclusive has been reached...
    So yeah, carbs like pasta, breads and grains are not that good for you at all.
    Incorrect...
    They are indeed worthless.
    Incorrect...
    Fibrous carbs are very good for you as well as a moderate amount of protein and good amount of fats.
    Correct...
    You can keep your insulin in check which is a healthier way to live.
    Insulin is not the be all end all...
    Everyone gets hungry shortly after eating complex carbs because they experience an insulin spike then crash resulting in hunger and or tired.
    I think you meant simple carbs and once again, incorrect...
    People are finally finding out that our brain and cells are made up of mostly fat, not glucose, that's old out dates stuff.
    And glucose is still the preferred fuel for the brain. That said, I don't think anyone ever thought that the brain was made out of glusose... lol!
  • sbubenchik
    Satiety levels?lol.. Not 100% proper usage of that silly word but close enough to let it slide. You clearly didn't fully understand where I was coming from since you seem to be on here to pick fights. I never gave a set amount of a small portion size that would fill someone up, which is what "satiety" means lol omg open up a book please and read up on anatomy. I'm just giving helpful facts to help with a question. Relax a bit. Question auddii? What's your diet? let's see the results you got and we can compaire notes. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two since I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Satiety levels?lol.. Not 100% proper usage of that silly word but close enough to let it slide. You clearly didn't fully understand where I was coming from since you seem to be on here to pick fights. I never gave a set amount of a small portion size that would fill someone up, which is what "satiety" means lol omg open up a book please and read up on anatomy. I'm just giving helpful facts to help with a question. Relax a bit. Question auddii? What's your diet? let's see the results you got and we can compaire notes. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two since I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry, where in an anatomy book does it explain people get hungry after eating carbs?

I mean, maybe biochemistry, but I think you're a bit lost here...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    My BMI ranges from 19.5-20.0, for medical reasons I have tons of restrictions including low fiber, no raw vegetables and very little cooked same with fruits, no nuts, seeds, legumes, red meats, whole grains etc. I eat a lot of white carbs. I eat white rice or white pasta every day and white bread. I' m not overly hungry and can maintain and lose weight no problem.
  • sbubenchik
    Ok since you also agree that I know nothing about nutrition and fitness, then teach me. I also wanna know how I'm in the kinda shape I'm in when I'm doing everything wrong. That's a real question by the way.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Ok since you also agree that I know nothing about nutrition and fitness, then teach me. I also wanna know how I'm in the kinda shape I'm in when I'm doing everything wrong. That's a real question by the way.

Same question to you. How am I in the kinda shape I am in if I'm doing everything wrong according to you.
  • J72FIT

Not saying you're doing anything wrong. You just clearly don't understand why it's working...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

It's not what you did is wrong in your training, is the broscience that you spout. Carbs do not universally cause hunger. The satiety rating of a potato is some of the highest outside of fibrous veggies and protein.

Also, there is no advantage (outside of personal compliance) to controlling insulin.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436946/are-all-calories-equal-part-2-kevins-halls-new-study#latest

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

No one was saying that what you're doing for yourself is wrong for you. But telling everyone that carbs will make them hungry and that bread and pasta is useless IS wrong. Not everyone has to eat the same way to be healthy. Some people are much more satisfied on a higher carb diet, and others are more satisfied on a lower carb diet. Neither one of them are wrong or better than the other.
  • psuLemon
    Also, as much as many in the low carb community promote insulin being bad it isn't. It helps activate mTOR and protein synthesis (leucine and mechanical stress can to). Not only that, carbs are prevent protein degradation which. This in turn can help you build muscle, even in a deficit.
  • J72FIT
    “You are so young my son, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions…”
    –Plato
  • sbubenchik
    Ok first off I never said you can't get good results from eating certain things. This was a low carb question in this forum. I was simply saying that eating low carb is not bad at all. And it's just a scientific fact that processed carbs and grains aren't the most nutrient dense foods. You can't argue with that. My before and after pic on here was processed carbs vs how I eat now. Plus I don't "lift weights", I train on an athletic level. But I physically feel better with the nutrition change. All this stuff was what I learned in college in my A&P class. I'm just trying to help answer a question.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2016
    Cyndi10612 wrote: »
    I feel like people freak out when you tell them you are on an extremely low calorie diet, Atkins, etc. I catch the wrath from friends and family, and even online communities, that low carb diets are so bad for you but honestly it's the only thing that works for me and I feel better so why not!

I dont know if anyone read and missed the part about the OP saying extremely low calorie diet but, here it is frowned upon keto/low carb generally is not. just because you are low carb/keto doesnt mean thats its a low calorie diet.the two are different if you ask me. extremely low calorie diets are not healthy or sustainable,but low carb/keto can be. extremely low calories should not be followed by anyone except for those who have had WLS or under the strict care of a DR who knows his *kitten* from a hole in the ground.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Cyndi10612 wrote: »
    I feel like people freak out when you tell them you are on an extremely low calorie diet, Atkins, etc. I catch the wrath from friends and family, and even online communities, that low carb diets are so bad for you but honestly it's the only thing that works for me and I feel better so why not!

I dont know if anyone read and missed the part about the OP saying extremely low calorie diet but, here it is frowned upon keto/low carb generally is not. just because you are low carb/keto doesnt mean thats its a low calorie diet.the two are different if you ask me. extremely low calorie diets are not healthy or sustainable,but low carb/keto can be. extremely low calories should not be followed by anyone except for those who have had WLS or under the strict care of a DR who knows his *kitten* from a whole in the ground.

I assumed it was a typo given the title.
  • psuLemon
    Ok first off I never said you can't get good results from eating certain things. This was a low carb question in this forum. I was simply saying that eating low carb is not bad at all. And it's just a scientific fact that processed carbs and grains aren't the most nutrient dense foods. You can't argue with that. My before and after pic on here was processed carbs vs how I eat now. Plus I don't "lift weights", I train on an athletic level. But I physically feel better with the nutrition change. All this stuff was what I learned in college in my A&P class. I'm just trying to help answer a question.

Processed carbs generally have crap tons of fats and salt and tend to be low in nutrition. There is nothing wrong with grains, but if you actually have research, I would love to see it. There are also a lot of foods that are mainly fat that are not very healthy for you too. In the end, low or high carb, there are good and bad diets.
  • I have insulin resistance and am trying a low-carb, low-sugar diet to reduce blood sugar spikes. I have no time to explain to people what insulin resistance is or what I need to do to fix it, therefore, I really don't care what people have to say. If they ASK about my diet, though, I have no problem explaining. But unsolicited "advice" is swiftly met with a 0_o.