"Lite" vs Normal

Options

Replies

• jnm120
    jnm120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like the light versions myself. Maybe it's because when I had treats going up it was always the sugar free or lower fat options, but I love them. Diet soda, non fat yogurt, 2% cheese (But never fat free, I don't like the texture), almond milk, sugar free sweet tea, low carb/ sugar free ice cream, lower calorie bread, like the thin bread, and low carb tortillas. I don't pick them specifically because it's the diet version, it's either because I love the taste of the products or I don't notice a difference. On products I can tell a difference I'll buy the regular version, but honestly I can't think of a full fat/calorie/sugar treats that I prefer more than the light.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me I just check the calorie difference and see from there. Things like American cheese, I pick 2%, it's processed anyway and I just want the flavor, so I'll save the 30 calories. Things like feta cheese, for a salad, there's maybe a 10-20 calorie difference so I'll go full fat. But shredded mozzarella in a dish, part skim is just fine.

I don't really drink milk but I sometimes use it in oatmeal and yeah, whole milk made a difference... but in crepes or pancakes I just use 1%.

Greek yogurt, it depends on the brand, but 0 or 2% makes no difference to me so I'll go with 0% unless the flavor I like only comes in 2%.

Cottage cheese I like full fat better and it's only 20-30 extra calories per serving, but if it's one of those times when I'm hungry and/or low on protein, I'll pick low fat.

None of those things have extra sugar btw. I mean, there might be a higher concentration of lactose sugar if it's low fat, obviously, but it's not like they add extra sugar in there (flavored yogurt maybe? I've never checked). But either way, check the labels to see if it's worth it.
  • stephkd7
    stephkd7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I prefer less ingredients/real food. Light options often have so many additives that they do more harm than good, and a good bit of what you're eating isn't even nutritious at that point. It's one thing to eat low calories, it's another to eat your calories wisely. Full fat, regular sugar options are always better. Just enjoy less of them.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We buy Daisy full fat sour cream. Less "stuff" in it. If you cannot pronounce it, it is not food.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    We buy Daisy full fat sour cream. Less "stuff" in it. If you cannot pronounce it, it is not food.

:lol:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    I get lite dressing and lite juice, but the rest is just regular. Saving calories from the dressing and juice (because I like both a lot) is helpful in controlling calories for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Golbat wrote: »
    Golbat wrote: »
    I just get regular sour cream. There isn't that much on a taco. You might as well have something that tastes good. Plus, as someone said above, fat helps you feel full. And low-fat isn't necessarily lower in calories. Sometimes foods have added sugar to keep low-fat things tasting good.

Yes sometimes they do add sugar when fat is removed because that's what reduces calories:

Fat = 9 calories per gram and tastes good
    Sugar = 4 calories per gram and tastes good

It can work that way, but it doesn't necessarily. If they are only marketing it as low fat, they are not claiming it's lower in calories. You'd have to check the label to see, and some products might be lower in calories and others might not.

I suppose that's true, but it's probably going to be less calories more often than not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I rarely buy sour cream, but because I posted above, this is all the horrible "stuff" in Daisy low fat sour cream:

Ingredients: cultured cream, skim milk, vitamin A palmitate

I don't see anything overly hard to pronounce.

Now yogurt, full fat OR low fat, sure, given all the cultures. I don't think that's a very good reason to avoid yogurt, though.

Sticking with dairy, the last cheese I bought (full fat) is called Magia Negra -- from a goat farm not terribly far from here. I think I can pronounce it okay, but I expect there are some who would have problems with it. Is it therefore not food?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh, and I make light dressing all the time. The traditional ratio for a vinaigrette is something like 3-1 oil to vinegar, but I usually reverse it. So again, light or lower fat doesn't mean that anything is necessarily added (well, in this case, more oil, sometimes mustard or some other ingredients, but nothing I wouldn't normally put in a dressing).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Something useful-ish for me is it is difficult for me to detect flavor changes between, say, Sprite and Sprite Zero. So I could go for the lighter option, but I guess I prefer more wholesome if there is a more wholesome alternative (I realize with soda and diet soda, neither are wholesome lol)

You should go to www.foodbabe.com and you will learn everything you need to know about this topic.

You should go to that website, take what she says, and then realize that the truth is the exact opposite of what she says.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I rarely buy sour cream, but because I posted above, this is all the horrible "stuff" in Daisy low fat sour cream:

Now yogurt, full fat OR low fat, sure, given all the cultures. I don't think that's a very good reason to avoid yogurt, though.

Sticking with dairy, the last cheese I bought (full fat) is called Magia Negra -- from a goat farm not terribly far from here. I think I can pronounce it okay, but I expect there are some who would have problems with it. Is it therefore not food?

We love Daisy Sour Cream, it is so much better than Breakstone's. I never said there was horrible stuff in it. There are various brands of plain, high fat Greek yogurt with simple ingredients, but they all raise my sugar. Drat it.

Edited to add, Plain Greek Yogurt.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I go for the least amount of ingredients whenever possible. 20 calories just isn't worth the extra chemicals for me. They may be perfectly safe per the FDA but I'll pass. I go full fat for most things though when my calorie goal was small when I was actively losing some fat free dressings did make their way into my home...not sure how that happened :) For something like Sour Cream try plain greek yogurt (not that you asked for a substitute :))
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everything in the thread so I don't know if this has been answered. I think the extra stuff is in there mostly for textural reasons (mouth feel) and as preservatives. Take the fat out of something like sour cream (or ice cream) and it becomes much less appealing because you lose the mouth feel of the fat.

I use low fat, no sugar added soy and coconut milk because I tend to use it in things rather than by itself. I've gotten into the habit of having a half cup greek yogurt with a half cup mixed berries and a quarter cup granola (usually Kind brand) sweetened with stevia as a dessert in the evening, and I use full fat yogurt because it's so much better tasting.

When I have ice cream, I'll have the full fat version. "ice milk" is an abomination. You have to decide two things: are you in this for the long haul, or are you "dieting"? and if the former, can you live with food that doesn't taste great to you for the rest of your life?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Daisy lite sour cream doesn't have any "stuff" added to it...they just use skim milk.
    vingogly wrote: »
    I haven't read everything in the thread so I don't know if this has been answered. I think the extra stuff is in there mostly for textural reasons (mouth feel) and as preservatives. Take the fat out of something like sour cream (or ice cream) and it becomes much less appealing because you lose the mouth feel of the fat.

I use low fat, no sugar added soy and coconut milk because I tend to use it in things rather than by itself. I've gotten into the habit of having a half cup greek yogurt with a half cup mixed berries and a quarter cup granola (usually Kind brand) sweetened with stevia as a dessert in the evening, and I use full fat yogurt because it's so much better tasting.

When I have ice cream, I'll have the full fat version. "ice milk" is an abomination. You have to decide two things: are you in this for the long haul, or are you "dieting"? and if the former, can you live with food that doesn't taste great to you for the rest of your life?

Most dairy products do not add anything to lower fat options...they just skim the fat. I actually find it odd that there was anything added as per the OP...I use lite sour cream all of the time because we eat a lot of it and I don't really want to spend the calories...I've never had a lite sour cream with anything added...they just skim the fat.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

We love Daisy Sour Cream, it is so much better than Breakstone's. I never said there was horrible stuff in it. There are various brands of plain, high fat Greek yogurt with simple ingredients, but they all raise my sugar. Drat it.

Edited to add, Plain Greek Yogurt.

Oh, in case you misunderstood or I wasn't clear enough, I wasn't suggesting that it was difficult to find yogurt without simple ingredients. Every yogurt I've ever bothered looking at (I prefer plain) has just milk and cultures. (My favorite store brand is usually Fage 0% -- yes, the lowest fat one, and yet it has NO extra ingredients -- although I'm currently into the non-greek variety from the goat farm I got the cheese from that I mentioned in my prior post. Tasty!)

My point was just that going by the pronounciation thing, there'd be a problem with yogurt, since most of the ones I've seen at a store list the cultures, and some of those are actually harder to pronounce than chemical names (which really aren't hard if you understand how they work).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    I go for the least amount of ingredients whenever possible. 20 calories just isn't worth the extra chemicals for me. They may be perfectly safe per the FDA but I'll pass. I go full fat for most things though when my calorie goal was small when I was actively losing some fat free dressings did make their way into my home...not sure how that happened :) For something like Sour Cream try plain greek yogurt (not that you asked for a substitute :))

I know, it doesn't matter, but I find it puzzling when someone claims she cares about the number of ingredients and even suggests that there's something wrong with low fat dairy (which typically has no extra ingredients at all), and then mentions buying dressing. Dressing (including low and no fat) is something I've always made at home, because it's so simple to do so and usually tastes better (IMO). I'm not at all suggesting that there's anything wrong with buying dressing -- I'm sure it's a convenience and if I buy a salad out (for example, at Pret), I'll accept whatever the best dressing option they have usually (based on taste, calories, ingredients). But your post seemed like you were trying to say that people who buy low fat dairy (or other lower fat products -- maybe lean ground beef?) are not eating as "naturally," or consuming "extra chemicals" or taking risks you won't take -- so that rather stuck out to me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Daisy lite sour cream doesn't have any "stuff" added to it...they just use skim milk.

Most dairy products do not add anything to lower fat options...they just skim the fat. I actually find it odd that there was anything added as per the OP...I use lite sour cream all of the time because we eat a lot of it and I don't really want to spend the calories...I've never had a lite sour cream with anything added...they just skim the fat.

It's not too uncommon. For example Kroger brand nonfat greek yogurt has quite a few ingredients listed while Chobani has only nonfat milk and cultures.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's not too uncommon. For example Kroger brand nonfat greek yogurt has quite a few ingredients listed while Chobani has only nonfat milk and cultures.

I eat Fage...nothing added either. I guess being a food snob has it's benefits.