Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Options

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    selina884 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    it's a lack of education if anything.

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Why diet coke as opposed to normal coke?

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Because diet coke contains no calories as opposed to normal coke

ah okay. fair enough
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Don't make this about America please because obesity is a worldwide problem.

Just thought I'd go and do a little fact-checking on this, and stumbled across the attached from the UK Government. Honestly, I'm pretty staggered by what I'm seeing:

9lxlironluaf.png

lol, I did the same just before you posted.

Surprised by Iceland, then again Im ignorant about their culture.

Why are you surprised by Iceland but not Mexico?
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    People love to blame everyone but themselves for their obesity. *shrug*

This .
  • selina884
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Just thought I'd go and do a little fact-checking on this, and stumbled across the attached from the UK Government. Honestly, I'm pretty staggered by what I'm seeing:

9lxlironluaf.png

I know absolutely nothing about Iceland and their cuisine aside from Skyr which is known to be very healthy/high in protein. So it's a "wow, really - nobody ever talks about their obesity issues?" moment.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

9lxlironluaf.png

I know absolutely nothing about Iceland and their cuisine aside from Skyr which is known to be very healthy/high in protein. So it's a "wow, really - nobody ever talks about their obesity issues?" moment.

9lxlironluaf.png

Because too many people make assumptions about a lot of things.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

9lxlironluaf.png

I too was surprised. Rotten shark and lamb testicles are obviously very calorie dense.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

9lxlironluaf.png

Everyone already knows that Mexican food is really, really tasty.

Agreed!! We have some sort of Mexican fast food or restaurant on every block in my city. I live in the San Diego area of California. I eat Mexican fast food all the time and not having any trouble maintaining my weight.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Because diet coke contains no calories as opposed to normal coke

ah okay. fair enough

Yep, you are saving 300+ low nutrient calories with a Diet Coke as oppose to large or larger Coke.
  • selina884
    Options

9lxlironluaf.png

I too was surprised. Rotten shark and lamb testicles are obviously very calorie dense.

lol YUCK!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Personally , I think there is lack of calorie consumption awareness ALL AROUND THE WORLD. I do not live in the US but most of the people in my country think that losing weight = eating healthy foods like salad and chicken breast. I eat mc donalds almost everyday and my friends ask me how I dont gain weight because to them in order to be slim you should be eating healthy.

I tend to agree that it's not a US centric issue, and fast food is not always the culprit. If you look at Turkey in the chart above, Turkey is actually largely a home cooking culture. Their downfall is that each meal is a feast. Where I live here, only college students eat fast food often. Fast food and takeout meals are an occasional indulgence or an option for a very busy day. On most days most households find the time to cook. That's why I think of fast food as a culprit in some cultures, but not a universal cause. Food, overall, is more abundant and life is more convenient. Even thinking about the simplest stuff like answering a call, a few years ago you needed to run to the room that had the phone, now all you need to do is take it out of your pocket.
  • Angela2ndChance
    Angela2ndChance Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This article might be interesting in light of this discussion...http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dmr/nutrition-portion-distortion.pdf. We choose what we eat, but our culture has also done a major shift in the distortion of sizes of any food. Is fast food to blame? I love fast food, but have had to drastically cut back, not necessarily because of the calorie counts, but because of the sodium count. Fast food can be nutritious, but again, it comes down to what and how much we choose to eat. Just my two cents, anyway.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac, side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

so a long distance cyclist or runner who has burned a couple of thousand calories cant use those calories on McDonalds as a refuel...? 1500 cal lunch is not 'too much' for everyone.

Most long distance runners or cyclists that burn a couple thousand calories in a workout have more respect for their bodies than to use a 1500+ calorie McDonalds meal to refuel on a regular basis.

fair point, i used Chinese takeaway to refuel my half marathon...
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    However , even if we CHOOSE to eat McDonalds , one can still lose weight if they burn more calories than they eat