Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

healthy491
healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
Fast food franchises like McDonalds etc sometimes get blamed for obesity ( especially in certain countries) . Is it really fair to blame them tho? I mean if its about CI<CO then you could eat a homemade salad which may contain more calories than a McChicken. Opinions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    People love to blame everyone but themselves for their obesity. *shrug*

boom!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    selina884 wrote: »
    it's a lack of education if anything.

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac, side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Why diet coke as opposed to normal coke?
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member

Yep!!!
  • selina884
    vada44 wrote: »

Yep!!!

lol now I fancy a big mac! Argh
  • selina884
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Don't make this about America please because obesity is a worldwide problem.

Just thought I'd go and do a little fact-checking on this, and stumbled across the attached from the UK Government. Honestly, I'm pretty staggered by what I'm seeing:

9lxlironluaf.png

lol, I did the same just before you posted.

Surprised by Iceland, then again Im ignorant about their culture.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I think it's fair to blame them as a culprit, but not blame them as a cause if you know what I mean. The general population does not count calories, so yes, large portions of calorie dense food on a regular basis are not for the typically sedentary individual. Many fast food restaurants tend to have a generally high calorie menu. There is a reason regular restaurants don't get blamed as often despite a similarly calorie dense assortment. Most people don't dine out in regular restaurants nearly as often as they go for fast food and takeout, so it takes a bigger toll on their calorie balance.

I also don't think it has anything to do with education. The healthy "plate" is everywhere and all over. Food servings are on packages and even gradeschoolers know the general recommendations. Some menus include the calorie count. It's about getting people to give a *kitten*, because many don't. The thought of food discipline is just not as attractive as large fries.

For the average calorie counter, I don't believe fast food is to blame. Unless they Tetris their way around high calorie meals in unsustainable ways, they should be able to manipulate their calorie input and output to fit something overly indulgent without having any effect on their weight loss/maintenance efforts. I mean I can afford up to 2000 calorie meals every now and then (fast food or otherwise), but if I do it often I would need to not eat many of the other things I love and to over-exercise and burn out on a regular basis.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Fast food franchises like McDonalds etc sometimes get blamed for obesity ( especially in certain countries) . Is it really fair to blame them tho? I mean if its about CI<CO then you could eat a homemade salad which may contain more calories than a McChicken. Opinions?

People who "blame" them seem to think that easy cheap food is too difficult to resist or something about fast food is and leads to people (perhaps themselves) eating worse. I do think that's an excuse and the responsibility is individual. Someone who chooses to can (among other things) eat reasonable calorie meals from a fast food place or not eat it so often that it's an issue. I think it's more of an issue that when choice is available some people will make trade-offs that others consider unwise (or that are unwise for their health).*

*By unwise for their health I mean overeating or maybe not having a good balanced diet, not eating fast food sometimes.