We are eating bad stuff.

Options

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When I was young I could eat anything without a thought. As I got older it cought up with me, a few pounds a year really adds up. I came to MFP and changed my fitness, portion size and quality of food. I now shop mostly in the produce aisle and rarely get any packaged food. Like the OP I now look at what people eat and what they put in their carts. I think "I can't believe people can eat like that". They are hardly able to move and now rely on electric shopping carts, go figure.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    When I was young I could eat anything without a thought. As I got older it cought up with me, a few pounds a year really adds up. I came to MFP and changed my fitness, portion size and quality of food. I now shop mostly in the produce aisle and rarely get any packaged food. Like the OP I now look at what people eat and what they put in their carts. I think "I can't believe people can eat like that". They are hardly able to move and now rely on electric shopping carts, go figure.

Feels good to be high and mighty right? :noway:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

Wow! Have you seen what I buy? The horror!!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    There is pizza in my future. But now, thanks to the OP I want a fried shrimp poboy too. Thanks! haha. Maybe I'll bake the breaded shrimp instead of fry them, but hey.. as long as I plan my calories for it...!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Fried pork chop for lunch. With a soda to wash it down. Not uncommon. Losing approximately 1/2 lb per week, like I want. My doctor looks at my bloodwork, checks me out, tells me I'm the healthiest patient he has, and talks sports for the rest of my yearly appointment.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on yourself. Different people can eat different amounts and have different goals. You don't really know the whole picture of their life and health.
    Weight loss is about calories not type of food. The foods are not really bad. They do have nutrients and can be part of a healthy diet.
    Fit the foods you like into your calorie goal. Have smaller portions of higher calorie stuff and increase portions of lower calorie foods like vegetables. You need to eat in a way you can sustain long term.
    If I want fried chicken I fit it in my goals. I can't eat as much when I choose fried chicken so I don't usually choose that but occasionally I do. If I get a burger I might have a salad with it instead of fries. I choose to drink water or unsweetend tea to save calories for food.
    Prelogging my food for the whole day has been really helpful for me to stick to my calorie goal and make better choices.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Fried pork chop for lunch. With a soda to wash it down. Not uncommon. Losing approximately 1/2 lb per week, like I want. My doctor looks at my bloodwork, checks me out, tells me I'm the healthiest patient he has, and talks sports for the rest of my yearly appointment.

Turkey burger for me today, but it's BBQ'd! ;P Same with my doctor, every time I go see her she does a double take, looks in her chart to see how much I've lost and asks just to make sure it was on purpose lol.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Sorry bud, you have to be judgemental in a subtle, passive aggressive way around these parts.

lol
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Sigh I wish I could eat fried chicken just pick up and go, but I have to make it at home with corn flour and corn starch it is good but clean up sucks. Celiac life
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If my co-workers eat something that looks delicious, I'll pay attention if I want to know how to make it or how to get some for myself. Otherwise, I just mind my own business. I don't spend much time thinking about how their diet makes them feel. They're adults with the same access to health and wellness information that I have, they're smart enough to figure out solutions if they don't feel well and they think their diet might be a cause.

I'm also aware that I'm watching them for only part of their day -- what they eat for breakfast and dinner is usually invisible to me (unless we're on the road) and you can't really understand someone's diet on one meal a day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Turkey burger for me today, but it's BBQ'd! ;P Same with my doctor, every time I go see her she does a double take, looks in her chart to see how much I've lost and asks just to make sure it was on purpose lol.

Turkey burger was dinner last night. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Therealobi1 you're right I'm quite J at times. But I regret it when I enter data into the food diary and I've blown way past calories, fat grams, and sodium. This app has been an awakening about what I'm putting in my body. A good/bad awakening. The stuff I used to love actually was changing me for the bad

Yes i understand that, the app was a rude awakening for me too. I used to believe i didnt eat alot until i starting logging. Some how you are going to have to plan ahead and make it fit. I am not one of those people who have lost weight and pretend now that mcdonalds makes me sick. I still eat it just not as much.
  • Tylre4815
    Tylre4815 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Liberal phrases like "you do you" and sentences to never judge in any situation will only lead one comfortably into unhealthy behavior. Judging eating fried, fatty foods is bad will help create better habits. Not being content letting someone doing whatever they wish will bring them understanding what they are doing is harmful. I applaud this post, yet detest the people too close-minded to bring any positivity to others' lives.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Liberal phrases like "you do you" and sentences to never judge in any situation will only lead one comfortably into unhealthy behavior. Judging eating fried, fatty foods is bad will help create better habits. Not being content letting someone doing whatever they wish will bring them understanding what they are doing is harmful. I applaud this post, yet detest the people too close-minded to bring any positivity to others' lives.

So we should rip fried chicken out of strangers' hands? I am confused by this post.

rip it and put it right in the bottom of the bin
This discussion has been closed.