We are eating bad stuff.

Options

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    My colleagues will eat fried chicken followed by blue bell ice cream, sit down all day and feast on a poboy with fried shrimp and fries. I watch them wash it down with fruit drink or a big coke, followed by more drink throughout the day. I wonder how they are feeling, are they getting heavier? If I would do that just one day I would feel it immediately. I'm patiently waiting for my health conscience eating, drinking descions to show up. My most obvious indication is my clothing. When my clothing stops feeling like its soffucating I know I'm doing good.
    But I can't eat what's out there. It's not good for me and most of the general public. I'd rather cook what I want or ask for a lighter version.

I always wonder this. I would love to be able to be one of the people who can even shamelessly eat a cheat meal. I felt guilty for having a piece of cake on my birthday and insisted that I "felt it" right away. I NEVER eat fast food anymore because I feel instantly greasy and overloaded with unneccessary crap.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Liberal phrases like "you do you" and sentences to never judge in any situation will only lead one comfortably into unhealthy behavior. Judging eating fried, fatty foods is bad will help create better habits. Not being content letting someone doing whatever they wish will bring them understanding what they are doing is harmful. I applaud this post, yet detest the people too close-minded to bring any positivity to others' lives.

So we should rip fried chicken out of strangers' hands? I am confused by this post.

Oh, I figured we were supposed to burn all the KFC's to the ground.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Liberal phrases like "you do you" and sentences to never judge in any situation will only lead one comfortably into unhealthy behavior. Judging eating fried, fatty foods is bad will help create better habits. Not being content letting someone doing whatever they wish will bring them understanding what they are doing is harmful. I applaud this post, yet detest the people too close-minded to bring any positivity to others' lives.

So we should rip fried chicken out of strangers' hands? I am confused by this post.

Only if I get to eat it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    "My colleagues will eat fried chicken followed by blue bell ice cream, sit down all day and feast on a poboy with fried shrimp and fries. I watch them wash it down with fruit drink or a big coke, followed by more drink throughout the day"

What are you doing or moreover eating and drinking as you watch them..??? ;)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    "My colleagues will eat fried chicken followed by blue bell ice cream, sit down all day and feast on a poboy with fried shrimp and fries. I watch them wash it down with fruit drink or a big coke, followed by more drink throughout the day"

What are you doing or moreover eating and drinking as you watch them..??? ;)

popcorn
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Nah, all it will do will cause a punch to the face for being so freakin' annoying.

(Er....I meant to the judger. Not the judgee.)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

rip it and put it right in the bottom of the bin

One of the owners at my former workplace was affectionately known as "The Food Nazi". If someone brought in donuts or some other "unhealthy" treat to share, and this owner happened to be visiting the office that day, she would throw all the donuts in the bin. To my mind, that was unspeakably rude. If she really thought it was that bad, what's wrong with giving the box back to the person who bought them and asking them to consider not bringing such treats into the office in future, instead of basically throwing away their money? If it's not company money purchasing them, what does it have to do with her what the staff choose to eat? Promoting a healthy environment is one thing, but dictating what others can and can't eat is something else.

As for the subject of this thread, I don't think attempting to police other people's food choices in general is a good idea. One can try to lead by example, and be willing to share insights and information that they've learned, but outright telling others that what they're eating is bad for them is less likely to be successful. Like others have mentioned, when I was heavier it wouldn't have helped or motivated me to have others commenting on my choices (even the ones I knew were poor). And since I was one of those who believed I didn't overeat, it took me being persuaded to join MFP and seeing for myself how many calories were in my favourites to change my mind.

I've come to believe that labelling foods as "good" or "bad" is unhelpful. Some people seem to feel better if they don't eat what they call junk, although sometimes I question how much of that is genuine physiological reaction and how much is psychosomatic based on their guilt or other emotions for eating something "bad for you". I don't call anything junk food any more, I just eat what I want to eat but less of it. I don't have fast food often because of the high calories, not because I feel it's bad for me. And if other people want to eat it every day then that's up to them... I don't know them or their life, and they may eat very little the rest of the day or work out religiously so that they can have their high-calorie meals. It's none of my business, unless someone asks me to help them figure out why they're not losing weight.

I don't feel that peering into other people's shopping carts and making disapproving noises is going to help anyone, least of all me.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i wonder why you care so much about other peoples lives... worry bout yo self.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Oh, I figured we were supposed to burn all the KFC's to the ground.

*sigh*

I'll get my pitch fork.

The Colonel must be drawn and quartered.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about what other people are eating, but that is just me. I have enough to worry about with my own diet...
This discussion has been closed.