WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2016
    Carol have a safe trip. I hope your Mom is having a good day.

Mary, enjoy the weekend. I know the wedding will be beautiful.

Barbie I'm so glad you are doing as well as you are. Hopefully you will be able to go home today. Warm hugs and positive thots.

Allie, thank you for your kind words.

Marcylyn thinking of you, if possible let us know how you are doing.

Janetr
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    JanetR: I'm so sorry the rash is still bothering you. Have you changed laundry products while travelling? I tend to look for things that could cause of a rash and that idea popped to mind. I hope you find a solution to this soon! :heart:

Pip: What a wonderful story about Kirby and the MS bike ride! You two rock! :heart:

Heather: Moving is the pits. We've only done it 5 times in 46 years and two of those moves were temporary. One of the temps was a move while remodeling our first house. The other was a temp when we moved to a different city and were looking for a home to buy. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited September 2016
    Taken in the passports etc to the estate agent and signed the contract. 14 days to back out. ;) They are giving us free selling conveyancing. :)

We took a suit, a leather jacket and a winter coat to the charity shop, along with a book and some bric a brac. I love getting rid of stuff. :D
    DH then started clearing out his filing cabinet and burnt a whole lot of defunct files in the garden, on the bbq. :laugh: Easier than shredding for hours.
    I made pesto from my huge basil plant as I don't think it will survive our week away. It is totally potbound.
    We are having chilli and garlic prawns tonight along with roasted butternut squash and pesto. The rest of the pesto, two more batches, are in the freezer. We also have Pimientos de Padron as a starter. :D<3
    Low alcohol cider for me tonight. 1%.
    Feeling positive about the move today. B) The sun is shining.
    One thing about the move is that I haven't been worrying about the holiday. :laugh: Will have to start thinking about packing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: Will you be looking for a free standing house, townhouse or flat? I'm glad that you & your DH are both okay with the decision to move. It is tough when one person wants something that the other doesn't. :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    c0117.gif
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Happy fri.
    Hope Barbie gets home soon.
    hugs jane
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited September 2016
    DJ - Yes, that contract is giving them sole rights to sell our house for a 1% fee, including the selling conveyancing. It holds for 6 months unless you pay a forfeit. We have 14 days to back out for no forfeit. :*

Katla - The area we are looking in is urban, but near the sea. The very expensive houses, like my son's are detached. There are some semi detached, which we would like and can afford and which sometimes have off street parking. There are also terraced, which usually do not have front drives, so parking is on the street and you have to have a permit. The nearest in the US that I can think of are the fashionable areas of Brooklyn. There are apartments, but I doubt we can downsize that much. Some are beautiful, in elegant Georgian terraces with a view of the sea and quite spacious, but they have no storage. ( Google Brunswick Terrace, Hove) I would be worried about noise from other residents. The sleek modern ones would mean we would have to sell everything and start again with minimal belongings and new furniture. :noway:
    I think a large terrace or a semi detached would suit us better. We would have a small garden. If I were on my own I would bite the bullet and go for a modern apartment with balcony, but, as a couple, we just have a lot of stuff. :ohwell:
    I too am amazed at how well DH is adjusting to the idea! I thought he would never want to move from the countryside, but he seems ready for a new adventure, if we can find a house we both like and in the area we fancy. The area has peace and quiet, plus proximity to exciting shops, theatres and restaurants and the seaside, plus a train to central London in 1 hour. That's why it's so expensive. :sad:

Our dinner tonight was yuuuuuummmmmmy. If we eat half so well in Spain I will be delighted. >:)

Love Heather UK
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Hi all! Mid afternoon, here and the babes are all sleeping! It has been a pretty calm day with them. I think we are all just tired of being inside. It has rained all week, pretty much all day every day. And with the temps down in the 50's and 60's, just too cold and wet to play outside. I decided to make today a "movie" day; so we built a tent in the living room and watched Winnie the Pooh and then Bambi (which put them to sleep). I feel better. I ate some cheese! I have a hard time staying away from cheese, I don't like to eat much of it because it is a "slippery slope" food for me, but I cut off a healthy 4 oz chunk and let myself have it. For two years I have been trying to get under 200. Into the proverbial "One-derland". A trip to "The Cheese Lady" is my planned reward to myself if I make it. The owner of "The Cheese Lady" travels to cheese fests and fairs and other countries in search of the yummiest/most unusual cheeses. I have had some of her cheese; but I have never visited her shop (due to the prices). The first year I made it down to 204, but that was when my sis was diagnosed with the brain tumor. Back up I went. I can do this. I am 23 pounds from that goal. I will keep logging, keep walking, stay true to myself and my goals. I've got this...I've got this...I've got this...
    Melanie- I know what you mean about sabotaging hubbies. Mine does the same. In fact, about 30 minutes ago, he walked in with fudge and offered some to me. (*sigh*) I don't think they do it out of meanness; I think they are trying to make us feel loved (?). Kind of like when you go to mom's and she tries to feed you up, as if you actually look like you're starving. For me, I think it is how my dh tries to make me feel better. I also have a pint of my favorite Ben and Jerry's in the fridge, my favorite chips in the cupboard, and my favorite granola bars in the car (quote from dh: "In case you need them") all because he loves me.
    Pip- Love the article about Kirby! You both are so special and I think it is awesome that other people will see that!
    Janet-Ugh! The rash! I hope they run a bunch of tests and get you a proper answer and remedy for it! How frustrating!
    DJ- Love the pic of you and your friends! You look like you are having a great time!
    Heather- Glad you are finding some peace with the process of moving. I love your posts when you talk about your meals! (That would be most of your posts) I always feel like I am cooking the same thing, so hearing what you are cooking helps me try new things! I have a basil plant on my kitchen window and I am looking forward to adding some to my Tuscan tomato soup this weekend! Love herbs!
    Safe travels for those of you who are traveling this weekend. It looks like more rain for the weekend. LOL! I am actually looking forward to that; weekend rain=no mowing! Well, as Tigger says: "TTFN" KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    One other thing, just curious, do any of you have a/any tattoos? I have wanted one for many years, and my DYS has offered to pay for one for me. I know what I want; but just wondering if any of you ladies are tattooed or considering it.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    DJ what a fun group!

Janetr so sorry the rash is still a problem.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Re, when I ride my bike, I have to take the fitbit off my wrist and put it on my ankle. Weird huh?

JanetR, Oh No. The rash is back and on the day you take the last steroid. But I person can not be steroid dependent unless of course you have lung disease or other problems that make you take it the rest of your life. Hope you all find the cause.

Heather, I can't imagine you with just a balcony. How would you garden? I know you can have container gardens but you have a lot of things in your garden. Big decisions.

I wish pain would just go away. Am so tired of it. If I give into poor posture, it is very manageble but I don't want to do that. I really am not looking forward to that MRI. I know when I had my last cervical herniated disc I had pain but I guess it was long enough I don't remember the pain. I just remember waking up in recovery and all that pain in my arm being GONE! I was reading about surgery for a herniated disc now and they usually go from the front to get to the spine. YIKES. Doesn't sound fun at all. But first I need to know that it is a herniated disc. But we had been planning on a 2 day trip with out daughter and kids on the kids fall break. So that is all up in the air.

Joyce, sunny Indiana
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Hey Ladies!!!!!! It's been a while, just checking in to briefly update...STILL not back in the house, STILL haven't gotten the final report from the adjuster :s BUT, house is gutted & contractor is ready to proceed! Might get those ceramic wood-looking floors afterall ;) . MOST importantly, DD & her family FINALLY secured an apartment moments ago-yea!!!!!! Did I mention her 4th daughter was born last Friday o:) The stress of this has taken its toll on me. Went to the Dr. today, have to resume the blood pressure meds, as well as begin taking Zoloft :# HOWEVER, seem to have lost a few lbs. without any effort...stress I imagine, but I'll take it.
    Just wanted to drop in and say hello to you all. Hopefully things will return to normal soon, and I can check in daily.

Melanie in Baton Rouge
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,297 Member
    DJ ~ You and your friends are a lovely group. Know you will have fun in Los Vegas in Jan.

DJ ~ I may not look exactly like Alfred Hitchcock from the side but I hate to see myself in a mirror. It seems like I just get pudgier every day even though I have been trying to exercise more.

Janet ~ I too am sorry about the rash returning. Hope the doc can get it gone.

Heather ~ I Googled homes for sell in Hove. My Oh My! They seem so expensive. Hope you can find one to your liking.

Melanie ~ So glad your daughter found a place to live and the new daughter arrived safely. Also, that you are beginning to be able to repair your home.

Went to see my mom and she was not looking well. Has cellulitis in her legs and there is a sore that has been getting worse and worse over the last 2 months. The lady that comes to fix the patients hair has been in an accident so my mom's hair was just a mess. She does not seem to notice or care. Met with my sister and we are kind of battling over what to do with mom's belongings that no one wants in the family. I will be so glad when I don't have to deal with this any longer.

Carol

• cityjaneLondon
    edited September 2016
    Melanie - Great to hear from you! What you have been through must be horrendous. :'( Maybe life is on the turn now. Congrats on the new grandchild. <3

DJ - I really enjoyed seeing the photo of you and your group. :D Aren't FFS great!

Joyce - I would only go for that option if I were on my own. I have somehow lost interest in having a big garden.

Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :smile: joyce, when Jake had his spinal fusion surgery they went in from the front. I had my MRI with lorazepam and it worked great

<3:'(janetr, sorry to hear that the rash is back

:'( I still haven't p**d or p**ped
  • cityjaneLondon
    Barbie - :'(:'(

Heather UK
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Love you guys! I am going to take a quick nap and hit the road!

I will check in from Tucson.

xo

Re en route to Tucson