October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I run 2k this morning in 13:05 so I'm off for this months challenge with my first mile.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 40 miles this month :)
  • xclusive_808
    xclusive_808 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[\img]
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    So I heard on the news tonight that they have issued an actual earthquake warning for the next 7 days in Southern California for a possible quake over 7.0. I have to say this has me pretty freaked out, what if I am out running and it hits...is that better or worse than being at home. Should I consider not going on a long run? I hope I am going to be able to sleep - I do have a long run planned for tomorrow morning! :fearful:

Hmmmm, I guess I missed the news last night. I would run anyway............I will run anyway, but not until tomorrow. I doubt they really know anything different than they normally do..........it's guess work IMO.

So, I barely made my goal of 40 miles last month and I set my goal fairly low because of a wedding in CO and husband's surgery this last week. I think I'll try for 50 this month even though I don't really know what's happening with him regarding a second surgery. At least I don't have any travel plans and I'm determined to get ready for a 10K in November.

I'll start tomorrow as today ended up being a rest day whether I wanted it to or not!

Have a great month everyone!

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @mmteixeira you raise good questions!

I'm a newer runner so I'm not sure what my calorie intake should be, as I am also trying to lose weight (down 10 lbs since starting to run 2 months ago). I'm a 47 year old female. My calorie deficit plan for weight loss has me at 1200 calories per day. My exercise calories obviously vary, between 500 and 1200 extra in a day, and I try to eat most of those back because my 1200 base is already at a deficit.

Just my thoughts-
    It's been hard for me to lose weight, no matter how I adjust my calories/miles. I'm 46, 125lbs/56.7kg, 5'5". I know I'm at that point where it's not going to come off easily. I can loose slowly around 1100 net per day. When I'm back to running, I seem to gain some water weight, putting me 128/58 ish.

I have found that it's not the calories (I mean, ya duh it is but..) it's what food I eat and where those calories come from. If i choose foods that I can easily count the calories, I'm much more apt to lose. I think I must be a terrible calorie counter, that's bad because as a chemist, I'm suppose to be unbiased in observations.

Any how all this comes from Matt Fitzgerald, the idea of slimming foods vs fattening foods. It's helped me. Because I can lie to myself all day long about the calories in that pizza, or how many I burned through activity.

It's kind of frustrating seeing the fellas eating so much more! And it seems as the years running go by, your body adapts and accommodates a higher calorie intake. Something to work towards! More pizza! And salads...
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 I love your post ^^^ <3 And you've inspired me to get off my butt and go work towards more pizza . . . and salads.

@shanaber Wow, I've never heard of an earthquake warning, only tsunami warnings after the fact. Scary stuff. Yikes, I hope they're wrong. Stay safe.

@Orphia Congrats on gold for the first run of October! The name of your October race (walk) is hilarious.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Well - managed to maintain my 10-mile long-run goal for at least one week! Although, around mile 8 it was getting tempting to pack it in. But then I self-said, "What's 2 more miles?"

Now - off to the air show to see the Thunderbirds! Yay for Robins Air Force Base!
  • Ray_Libby
    Ray_Libby Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Good morning to y'all - post off and on in the September challenge and made 187 miles - this month will be full of different challenges from me among them relocating from North Dakota to Arizona at the end of the month - really looking forward to moving there. Setting my goal for this month at 160 miles as this will keep on track to reaching my yearly goal of 2,000 - currently at 1564, need 36 to surpass my previous high year total of 1,600 in 2014.

10/1 - 8.35
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 20 miles

Starting October off in a big way with a long run! Started slow with a group for the first 6 miles, so it was hard to get my legs moving again when I set off to do 14 on my own. Plus my 7 day total right now is 72 miles, so my legs are pretty tired. I still managed to find a kick in the last 2 miles though and do two 8:15s, so I'm not totally hopeless.

My last two long runs I've only taken 1 gel and been getting by on Gatorade and water, and that's working well. Today was 1 gel and 16 oz Gatorade and 16 oz water, and I felt fine at the end. Like, surprisingly good actually. Plus it's good prep for race day when I'll be drinking Gatorade on the course. And then I don't have to stash 5 gels, just 3 or 4!

exercise.png
    ^^
    I wanted a more seasonal ticker for fall :)

Upcoming Races:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k (Goal: 21:30 or better)
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon (Goal: 1:38 or better)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26: Philly Love Run HM
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd share a pic from my lunch hour today. I live in Hamilton, Ontario, which spans the upper and lower end of the niagara escarpment. It is steep enough that you can only get to the upper and lower sections of the city by paved mountain access roads or stairs, and some trails. We have five sets of stairs across the city, spanning about 454 steps for a flight up and down, up to the longest at 996 steps for a flight up and down. The stairs are a great place for regular exercisers and runners alike, and can be a before or after work meeting spot for friends to burn some communal calories.

This is the view from the top of one of the sets of stairs, overlooking East Hamilton into Stoney creek. These particular stairs are pretty steep, divided by 200m of a beautiful trail separating the top and bottom section. Doing one full set of both top and bottom sections of these stairs would net 774 stairs and 400m of running or walking...do a few sets and you get an amazing workout.

Today at lunch I did just the upper portion, which is pretty steep, 5 times (1590 steps for the 5 reps). It was nice and cool, and a beautiful view of the city...the perfect break from a crazy day.

Wanted to share the pic...can't wait until the leaves change as it will be stunning!

zo8g5tty0qql.jpg

Wow!!!! It is stunning now!!!! Great job! that looks like quite the workout!
  • ereck44
    Options
    I'm going to cut my goal way down for October to account for tapering this next week, then my HM, then taking a break. I'll say 50 miles for October.

Main goal: FINISH the HM for a PR (my "test" race being my only half distance to compare to, and that didn't go well, so in theory this should be no problem) and feel good about how it went.

Goals after race: easy and fun running, loving running for itself - not training. I've got some fun 5k races on the line up that should help with that!

Upcoming races:
    9/18 CNY Bread Run Half, Fabius, NY (test run, long run with bling, not racing) 2:45:20
    10/9 Empire State Half Marathon, Syracuse NY (official first half marathon) 9 days left!
    11/13 Burn Run 5k or 10k, E. Syracuse NY (possibly - not signed up yet)
    11/24 Turkey Trot 5k, Cedar Rapids IA (signed up!)
    12/3 St. Nick Shuffle 5k, Syracuse NY
    1/22 Chilly Chili 5k, Cazenovia NY

I run my half the day before you run yours. Good luck and have fun!
  • ereck44
    Options
    My goal is going to be 75 miles...plan to start working on my running base after running my half in one week. I hope to PR it, but, nevertheless, going to try to have a lot of fun.

It has been very rainy this week...so hoping for a dry day on race day. Plan long run today with water....and then taper after that.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 thank you for mentioning me. How did you time the walk run segments? I'm excited and sacred to try to be a runner!

@quizzicalgrrl my phone and or my Fitbit.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    October 1st: 8 miles

8/100

I was a bit worried because I only did 4.75 of 6 miles last Saturday but it's all mental. I went out there & did it. I walked .25 twice. It gets warm quickly here with a glowing ball of death beating down on me.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Wow, already on page 4 when I come in to post my goal, lol.

Goal for the month will be 100 miles. If I manage to follow my training plan exactly, I should actually hit 114, but I wanted to give myself a buffer, which I learned the value of last month, haha. This month I'm starting my 'building to 30 miles/week' training plan, so I'm excited to start seeing those increases.

Had a fun moment on my run last night! I was on the sidewalk (one of the only parts of my run that has one, and that I actually use, b/c it's the center of my town with lots of on-street parking) and I could see a guy in his car going to pull out of the Chase Bank. I could tell he wasn't looking to his right AT ALL, for any oncoming pedestrians, so I slowed down and just as I got up to his car I shouted, 'Hello! There's a sidewalk here!' He heard me, even with his windows up, and his face was priceless, as he tried to gesture his apologies. I figure if it helps one person remember to look both ways next time, it can't hurt.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    jodilynnsanders5104 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    10/1 15km run...ramping up the mileage as I train for my first HM

exercise.png

(For some reason I can't get my ticker to capture the 15k I did today)

Upcoming Race:

11/6 Hamilton Road2Hope HM (goal...to finish)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hoping for 60 miles and no injuries! Welcome newbies and good luck everyone!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm slowing down this month, only 200 km because I'm tapering this week for the half and I plan to take a few days up to a week completely off after to give my body some time to recover. Extremely happy with my training so far, consistency seems to pay off, I've gone from having a 1:45:00 goal for the half to hoping I can break 1:32:00 so I think one week off after a 5 months of training won't hurt

Date.......Distance.......Type........How my legs are feeling

October 1- 5.9 km - Super easy - Niggle in left IT band

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Ran in the wettest conditions I've ever run in to date. This morning was pouring down rain but I waited until it died down a wee bit to head out. It was still raining pretty steadily. The water on my glasses didn't bother me as much this time around, but I definitely need a more water resistant jacket because the hoodie I wore got really heavy from being wet.

Managed 4 miles today. Hoping for better weather tomorrow.

exercise.png