October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    I'm figuring the 5k will be a shake out rum with swag.
    I've heard of a beer run. Not sure about a rum run.

Hahahahahahaha....this is why I shouldn't type on my phone.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I was a bit worried because I only did 4.75 of 6 miles last Saturday but it's all mental.
    Yes. We are all mental around here. :smiley:

I thought that was supposed to be a secret.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm never going to catch up again on the thread.

10/1 life sucks today day - I got up at 4:00 am and was going to run, then I started packing up some of my Mom's things and here it is 7:00 pm and I'm just sitting down for the first time. Won't run tomorrow either as Skip and I are heading back home.

I did scan some of the posts, great job everyone!!

I'm setting a goal of 115 miles for October.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 I'm 42 and my resting hr is 55. My max hr (lab tested) is 201. The kinesiologist I met with told me the standard 220 - age only fits 15-20% of the population.

There are some 30 minute running self-tests you can do to estimate your lactate threshold if you don't want to get tested in a lab. Generally, when you start to get out of breath, that is just below your lactate threshold, so if you weren't out of breath, you likely weren't near your anaerobic zone.

@shanaber I looked that up and it made sense that they would give a warning. There were 140 earthquakes all in a concentrated area - obviously some shifting going on. Hope things settle down soon!

@skippygirlsmom Aw, sorry. Hugs.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many people already joined, but familiar faces and new fellow runners. I bet it's going to be hard keeping up with this thread - as usually ;)

I'm in for 220km this month.
    exercise.png

--

@RunsOnEspresso When is your first marathon going to be, did you already sign up for one?

@kristinegift Holy cow, that distance goal is impressive!

@Orphia Did you really have to post that picture? That medal is indeed awesome, now I want one of those. Really tempted to sign up. I'm already doing the Zombies Run Virtual race this month, and two virtual events might be a bit crazy. But damn, that medal looks too nice to miss...

@jodilynnsanders5104 Thats a lot of stairs. Until a year ago, I used to live on the 11th floor = 186 steps. I ran up those sometimes, and I remember it being hard. 1590 steps are an amazing workout for sure!

@MNLittleFinn That's pretty cool that the traffic sign registered your speed B)

@Elise4270 Starting the month with a run? Don't to anything too crazy and wind up hurt, but it's great that you were able to run today!

@jodilynnsanders5104 Where do you get your max heart rate from? Just the "220 minus age" formula? That's an estimate which doesn't work for everyone - I know for sure it doesn't work for me - if it were true, that would mean I ran for 2+ hours at 95% of my max heart rate during my last half marathon, and that seems a bit unlikely.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

@MNLittleFinn & @9voice9 It sounds like a Fun Event, Would that be Pre-event, Post Event or Mandatory Aid Station Stops.

@Elise4270 It may have been "sloppy" but it was a Run. Yea. :D:p:#
    Just Borrow a Soccer Shin Guard from a Neighbors Kid to protect the right leg.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    jodilynnsanders5104 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @shanaber , @_nikkiwolf_ , yes I used a wrist based HR monitor. Where do you get lab tested?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @untermrad Wow, great time in your 10K race! Good job.

Today, Sunday, is usually my long run day. But I had a niggling voice in my head telling me I'd been pushing it a bit hard lately, so I just went for an 8 km walk instead.

I also figured that, since I usually try and do about 9 km walks on my rest days, it was a good idea to do one on a Sunday instead of during the week before work, since I have more time to spare. Win win.

• mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I googled and found the news on the earthquake warning (thanks for sharing btw, otherwise, I don't even know what concerns me :sweat_smile: ) I don't know which is more safe but I certainly feel safer that I could run. After I finished C25k and my first 5k race and without a new goal, I lost motivation to run again. Then, one day, I watched a movie, the disastrous/run-for-your-life kind, I realized, it is better to be able to run :lol:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    12 mile run today, my last long run before my half next week. Better run than last Sunday....stopped to walk after running 9 miles to drink some water, then finished the rest of the distance. Clearly need to work on my base...legs started getting rubbery, hips felt tight. Averaged 12 minute miles. Should do okay next week. Taper starting tomorrow.

10/1....12 miles.
    Goal...75 miles.

10/8/16....Indianapolis Half Marathon
    5/6/17....Indianapolis Mini-marathon.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    10/1 3.1 + body weight strength training

No group/family run today... Didn't coordinate well beforehand, so, everyone decided to do our own family run. Then, we went to bed too late, no one could get up... Finally, at 10 am, I decided I really didn't want to skip my miles again so I went out to run by myself, and then came back home to do my strength train that was supposed to be done yesterday. I hope it would not hurt too much tomorrow because a long(er) run is planned. It is just 6 miles, I just haven't increase my mileage much lately.

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wioRPue/exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @mom3over40 - ha! I never thought of it that way. Hobbes the Vizsla and I could definitely run! But my husband would be left behind... I do find the entire earthquake analysis interesting (dad was a geothermal geologist) but being knowledgeable is still scary sometimes!
    @jodilynnsanders5104 - I have not been 'tested' for v02 max or zones. I did have my cardiologist give me recommendations based on a HR measurement test he did. I do use a HRM strap with my wrist monitor and find it much more accurate. Without the strap my HR measurement is way off the charts where I know it could never be. More than anything I would recommend getting a HRM with a strap for a more accurate reading so you can run based on HR.
    @Elise4270 - I agree with @juliet3455, a run is a run! It will come together as you are able to do more. Also as @9voice9 said we are all mental and it is definitely a secret... Well sort of, not.... And definitely with a cocktail and a shotgun!
    @skippygirlsmom - {{hugs}} you will get back here. Don't rush it. Take your time and savor the memories, and don't worry about anything else! We'll be here when you are ready to get back to us.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

A HM I ran a couple of years ago passed a pub en route that gave out vodka and tequila shots to the runners for free. Still no rum though :tongue:

@Elise4270 Glad to see you got a little run in, must feel awesome after so long! But do be very careful, you don't want to prolong this misery by hurting yourself more before you're recovered. Speaking from experience...

@9voice9 We are all mental - isn't that a biggest compliment a non-runner can give a runner? "You ran HOW FAR this morning?! You are mental!"

@skippygirlsmom Sending big hugs your way. Running, and all of us, will still be here when you are ready to run. Right now you need to sort your heart out before you can even think about anything else.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @mmteixeira you raise good questions!

I'm a newer runner so I'm not sure what my calorie intake should be, as I am also trying to lose weight (down 10 lbs since starting to run 2 months ago). I'm a 47 year old female. My calorie deficit plan for weight loss has me at 1200 calories per day. My exercise calories obviously vary, between 500 and 1200 extra in a day, and I try to eat most of those back because my 1200 base is already at a deficit.

All I would say is be careful with how much you eat back of the calories you burn - I'm not sure how you are determining that amount and how accurate it is - I use a wrist based heart monitor so I expect it to be a decent approximate - if my workout is below 500 I won't eat back anything, if higher I will eat back some of it but not all. You just want to be careful not to eat too much back.

Good luck with the running :) I have enjoyed it a lot more than I expected and I am very glad I started - I hope you have the same experience...

• emptydog
    emptydog Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    October goal: 75 miles.
    Today: 4 miles.
    Total/October: 11.15 miles.

Back to work tomorrow and won't run until Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning. I really, really want to retire.