October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Last month I ran 50 miles, so I'm gonna up it to 60 for October. I'm challenging myself a little at a time. Let the spooky runs begin!!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Phew, I survived the hardest weekend in my training plan!
    Yesterday was 16km at marathon pace (or what I hope my marathon pace might be...), this afternoon 30km long run. My legs were still tired from the tempo run yesterday evening, but that feeling went away after the first few kms.
    I was enjoying the lovely autumn weather, until I started feeling hungry. And not for sweet carb stuff, I sipped about 250ml of homemade "gel" (50/50 mix of honey and lemon juice), but at that point, I wanted REAL FOOD - something hot that required chewing. I realised then that I had forgotten to eat lunch. I probably spent the next 3kms thinking about nothing except what I would eat once I got home - I'd bought all the ingredients for chicken wraps, but slicing stuff and frying stuff and whatnot before getting something to eat suddenly seemed like too much work after all that running. I have to admit, my solution was to change my route so that I found myself at the front door of a McD exactly after finishing my planned 30km. Got some takeaway cheeseburgers, stuffed them into my hydration backpack, and jogged the last ~2km home. I have to say, physically the hardest part of the run were probably the first few hundred metres after the 5min stop at McDonalds! It's like my poor legs thought the running for the weekend was finally over, and when I started running again, every single muscle screamed it's complaints. Maybe next time I should jog in place while I wait for my order :p
    Haha! You're not the first to stop at McDonald's out on a run (race)!
    You're right, now that you mention it, I remember that too! Wasn't it @LoneWolfRunner (forgot the new name, if it still exists?) who got hungry during a half marathon? Back then I thought it was crazy, today I can totally understand the feeling B)
    Though I did enough loops on the parking lot to finish my "official" distance before getting the burgers. The run home was not really part of my training, that was just because walking would have ment longer waiting and cold food. :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Phew, I survived the hardest weekend in my training plan!
    Yesterday was 16km at marathon pace (or what I hope my marathon pace might be...), this afternoon 30km long run. My legs were still tired from the tempo run yesterday evening, but that feeling went away after the first few kms.
    I was enjoying the lovely autumn weather, until I started feeling hungry. And not for sweet carb stuff, I sipped about 250ml of homemade "gel" (50/50 mix of honey and lemon juice), but at that point, I wanted REAL FOOD - something hot that required chewing. I realised then that I had forgotten to eat lunch. I probably spent the next 3kms thinking about nothing except what I would eat once I got home - I'd bought all the ingredients for chicken wraps, but slicing stuff and frying stuff and whatnot before getting something to eat suddenly seemed like too much work after all that running. I have to admit, my solution was to change my route so that I found myself at the front door of a McD exactly after finishing my planned 30km. Got some takeaway cheeseburgers, stuffed them into my hydration backpack, and jogged the last ~2km home. I have to say, physically the hardest part of the run were probably the first few hundred metres after the 5min stop at McDonalds! It's like my poor legs thought the running for the weekend was finally over, and when I started running again, every single muscle screamed it's complaints. Maybe next time I should jog in place while I wait for my order :p
    Haha! You're not the first to stop at McDonald's out on a run (race)!
    You're right, now that you mention it, I remember that too! Wasn't it @LoneWolfRunner (forgot the new name, if it still exists?) who got hungry during a half marathon? Back then I thought it was crazy, today I can totally understand the feeling B)
    Though I did enough loops on the parking lot to finish my "official" distance before getting the burgers. The run home was not really part of my training, that was just because walking would have ment longer waiting and cold food. :wink:

I think it was @CodeMonkey78 during a full. I'm sure @Stoshew71 et al remember. Bet it was the best snack ever!

I always give into hot and ready pizza post run.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Oct  1     6.2      6.2 
    Oct  2     6.5     12.7 

exercise.png
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    October goals

40km running
    40km Swimming

Am off to Australia in a week for the Australasian Police and Emergency Services Games so might not meet goals this month.

1 October rest day
    2 October 5km run
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wanted to run. Also wanted to watch the Bears game. Solution: run on the treadmill at the gym. They have little TVs on each treadmill so I just plugged in my headphones and ran while watching the game.

I ran for almost the entire second half. To my utter amazement, I did 7 miles, almost an hour and a half. Distance PR and time PR for me.

They sell Quest protein bars at the gym. I tried one. It was rather disgusting. Live and learn.

Total miles so far: 11/60

And the Bears won today! Woo hoo! :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Oct total
    10/1 :::: 5.8 :::: 5.8
    10/2 :::: 2.8 :::: 8.6

Today was 30 minutes, easy pace. It's one week to race day! Feeling okay overall. Lots to do this week so that will keep me distracted from thinking about it ALL the time. I'm getting a massage tomorrow, so I'm super excited about that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

1---3.17runnish/walk
    2---2.7 poké walk
    3---travel day, Dallas PT I'm excited to go, but dreading the visit. What if's and all.

5.87/50+ walking miles goal

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (registered)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got in a good intense afternoon swim, then ran right after and oddly had trouble getting started. Still, once I got into a groove, I started slightly increasing the speed until I reached my target MP (7/mile), on the last mile. Definitely felt pretty comfortable and relaxed at that pace (with my heart rate peaking at 156bpm), so I think I'm good to go for Sunday to pace my buddy to a 3:05 (especially after much more planned tapering this week). If it goes as planned, I think I may sign up for a winter marathon to try to crack the 2:55 mark to qualify for NYC, but I'll take that one step at a time.

10/1 - 5 miles (w. 5x800s @ 6:00 pace)
    10/2 - 8 miles (finished at MP)

Total: 13 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 127 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • Ray_Libby
    Ray_Libby Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Love my Sunday's run - slower pace - just taking it easy and enjoying my run - I push it on Saturday and sort of glide on Sunday - my run today was six minutes less today and 1.15 less -

Date Miles MTD

10/1 - 8.35
    10/2 - 7.20 - 15.55

• vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Wanted to run. Also wanted to watch the Bears game. Solution: run on the treadmill at the gym. They have little TVs on each treadmill so I just plugged in my headphones and ran while watching the game.

I ran for almost the entire second half. To my utter amazement, I did 7 miles, almost an hour and a half. Distance PR and time PR for me.

They sell Quest protein bars at the gym. I tried one. It was rather disgusting. Live and learn.

Total miles so far: 11/60

Haha! I love running on the treadmill while I watch sports. Good motivation!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 My first two half marathons I just did on my own at home, so no bling for me.

I've also done two shorter distance events with no medals or anything.

The Beat the Blerch Virtual HM's bling made up for that!

Now you mention it, the Bloody Long Walk 35 km walk doesn't have any bling, I don't think.

Hmm, here's a question...

What's a good reward to buy for running?
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @louubelle16 My first two half marathons I just did on my own at home, so no bling for me.

I've also done two shorter distance events with no medals or anything.

The Beat the Blerch Virtual HM's bling made up for that!

Now you mention it, the Bloody Long Walk 35 km walk doesn't have any bling, I don't think.

Hmm, here's a question...

What's a good reward to buy for running?

Beautiful photos!! Lovely!

Rewards for Running:
    I would suggest a $200 shopping trip to the workout store of your choice!
    Academy or Sun and Ski... I would choose Sports Authority, but they went out of business.
    New Running Shoes
    New workout clothes
    A new dress

I tend to like experiences as rewards rather than objects.
    So....
    A spa Day
    A weekend away at a resort with your sweetie.
    Concert Tickets to see your favorite musician
    Tickets to rent jet skis at the beach
    Go to a magic show
    Go do indoor ski diving!
    Take a dinner cruise on the river
    Go see your favorite comedian do live stand up
    or you could volunteer at an animal shelter. its hard work, but rewarding

• tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Another 3 miles this morning for me.

4 miles for the month so far, currently on target.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    10/1: 20 miles
    10/2: 4.6 miles (am), 5.4 miles (pm)
    10/3: 6 miles with the Coffee Crew

Easy run this morning, nice and slow. For the fifth day now, the sun hasn't really come out. It was so foggy today that the whole town looked like a horror movie. I want bright, crisp, sunshine-y fall... not dreary, gray, boring fall!

Cutback week this week to allow for more sleeping and socialization time while I'm home for Homecoming Thursday through Sunday. I haven't been home since Christmas, so I would be more than happy for the next 3 days of work to just flyyyyyy by!

Happy Monday, all!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k (Goal: 21:30 or better)
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon (Goal: 1:38 or better)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 I'd be gutted if I didn't get any bling for a race the goodie bag sounds equally rubbish, I'm doing the oxford half this weekend and just had to double check whether we got any bling. I think I'll avoid Tonbridge as a choice of race next year.

Well into tapering now managed a 6.5 mile yesterday without the knee being too sore at the end, planning a 5k thursday then maybe a 1 miler on Saturday just to get my legs ticking over before the race on Sunday, got the KT ready to go for a bit of extra support (mentally and physically). Aiming for 40 miles this month depending on the knee after the race

exercise.png