Called fat at work

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    He is a rude, insensitive co-worker, please ignore him. Perhaps he is takes lessons on how to be a d bag from D. Trump.

You obviously have a busy schedule and a lot of stress, just do the best you can, that is all any of us can do.

...............and remember, weight loss is mostly about eating less calories than you burn. Even going to the gym everyday may not guarantee weight loss if you are consuming more calories than you are burning. Most sources say 80% diet, 20% exercise, some say an even higher percent for diet.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    So sorry, that really sucks. Hope you will use it to fuel positive change and maybe even be thankful to the person in the end (but I doubt they deserve that) I used to just work out and not watch my calories and guess what... I got fat. Equations have two sides to be equal, this one is diet and exercise. I need both and perhaps you do to...doesn't mean that person had the right to say what they did, but when you feel better about yourself their comments won't matter.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    cinnag4225 wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion time: Replace "fat" with "alcohol" and everyone would be hailing the coworker a hero and telling you not to get so emotional.

Not at all. It is also not OK to comment on your coworker's struggle with drinking or alcoholism.

Both can be potentially serious issues but it's not being "touchy feely" to not want your coworkers to comment negatively on either scenario. I love when people want to mask being a *kitten* by rephrasing it as "society is too sensitive or easily offended".

Actually it's not only appropriate, but necessary to address personal problems that affect the workplace (which drinking or a 50lb weight gain WILL do; I hope the best for the OP, but she's lucky it was someone who is actually concerned about her asking rather than management who has to consider productivity and liability risk). Good execution of the zero-accountability mentality that has fueled the obesity crisis though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If anyone dared try that on me they'd earn my shark smile. Sharks have a nasty bite, and those who earn it aren't likely to forget.

It might help to turn that hurt feeling outward. That guy needs to learn to stuff it, not you.

You're making lots of good choices and re-thinking the whole shiftwork deal. That's all positive steps. And that jerk is still a jerk.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cinnag4225 wrote: »

Actually it's not only appropriate, but necessary to address personal problems that affect the workplace (which drinking or a 50lb weight gain WILL do; I hope the best for the OP, but she's lucky it was someone who is actually concerned about her asking rather than management who has to consider productivity and liability risk). Good execution of the zero-accountability mentality that has fueled the obesity crisis though.

How is the OP's weight impacting her work? It doesn't sound like the man who called her fat was her supervisor.
    And how is calling someone "fat" "addressing personal problems that affect the workplace?"

The OP did indicate that it was upsetting and that she was trying hard not to let it derail her progress. If you're an emotional eater, that kind of comment? For me at least, all it does is make me want to eat. It does not motivate me to want to lose more. So kudos to the OP who is trying not to fall down because of some insensitive jerk.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Any good supervisor knows to address behavior. Not appearance or anything else that is irrelevant. And this is not a supervisor.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OP was not complaining about her weight, HE brought it up. He was most definitely in the wrong here. I don't even know why that's up for debate. Don't be a jack@ss. It's THAT simple.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    you co-worker is a ball bag
  • BigandFurious
    BigandFurious Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    These days the saying "I don't mean to be rude," is actually often used to offend and insult people.

You should have replied something like, "I will be losing weight and will be beautiful, while you will stay ignorant and rude for the rest of your life."

But maybe you needed to hear it. Like I needed my husband to talk about the heavy woman in the parking lot. Perhaps it was the wake-up call for you that made you angry enough to sign up here again?

Welcome back. Stay focus and pay attention. You and I, we don't stuff our face with food because we like it so much. We stuff our face to numb other emotions. Boredom, stress, loneliness, grief, unhappiness and so much more.

If we would love food so much, then we would pay attention to it, don't you think?

Food is the middleman, between us and our feelings. I just fired my middleman :-)

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I got called "skinny" at work. Coworkers can't win for losing with this crowd.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    These days the saying "I don't mean to be rude," is actually often used to offend and insult people.

You should have replied something like, "I will be losing weight and will be beautiful, while you will stay ignorant and rude for the rest of your life."

But maybe you needed to hear it. Like I needed my husband to talk about the heavy woman in the parking lot. Perhaps it was the wake-up call for you that made you angry enough to sign up here again?

Welcome back. Stay focus and pay attention. You and I, we don't stuff our face with food because we like it so much. We stuff our face to numb other emotions. Boredom, stress, loneliness, grief, unhappiness and so much more.

If we would love food so much, then we would pay attention to it, don't you think?

Food is the middleman, between us and our feelings. I just fired my middleman :-)

OP never said she was "stuffing her face".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If OP's co worker were actually concerned about her job performance (which seems extremely unlikely to the point of being completely unbelievable, and I note that apparently not even he tried that excuse, but went with "don't mean to be rude, but..."), he could have, you know, brought up job performance (which seems unlikely to be affected from the story).

OP, hugs and don't let it get to you. It sounds like he's kind of clumsy and clueless, so "oh bless your heart!" might have been a possible response (I can think of others, don't know if I could have in the moment). Anyway, I'd recommend maybe trying to learn to react to things you can't believe someone's mom didn't teach them the manners not to say with humor. Reminds me of my favorite "some people are idiots" story when my friend was interviewing a job candidate (a job candidate!) who asked her how far along she was (my friend was not pregnant). When she said "I'm not expecting" (she was so shocked she was unable to think of anything clever), the candidate said: "oh, well you must get that all the time"--awkward pause--I mean, I know I do!

My friend initially felt bad, I am sure, but the hours of enjoyment she has had telling the story probably have made up for it many, many times over.

(She's quite thin now, and weirdly wasn't particularly heavy at the time. I'm assuming the person has a job, but not at that employer, and although my friend didn't made a thing of it (she was junior and doing the "this is what it's like to work here" interview), it would have made complete sense to and she would have been listened to in that case, as part of the job in question demanded being able to interact with people in a socially-appropriate way, and also not being a complete idiot.)
  • TacheNoir
    TacheNoir Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're fat then you're fat. I'm not thin-skinned or sensitive about it. It's really not a big deal. I just say "Yeah, still working on it", or "Yeah, I know right?", and keep it moving.

I don't let other people determine how I feel about myself. And I'm not in denial about being overweight, either. I'm all for discussing it freely and calling a spade a spade. Humans judge - that's just the way it is. Happens everywhere, and no amount of PC rubbish is going to change that. Thank goodness for people brave enough to speak up - keeps me accountable.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    TacheNoir wrote: »
    If you're fat then you're fat. I'm not thin-skinned or sensitive about it. It's really not a big deal. I just say "Yeah, still working on it", or "Yeah, I know right?", and keep it moving.

I don't let other people determine how I feel about myself. And I'm not in denial about being overweight, either. I'm all for discussing it freely and calling a spade a spade. Humans judge - that's just the way it is. Happens everywhere, and no amount of PC rubbish is going to change that. Thank goodness for people brave enough to speak up - keeps me accountable.

I don't agree at all that this is PC rubbish, it is plain, old rude behavior. Not acceptable in a civilized society to go around saying whatever you feel like saying without any regard to consequences.

Good for you TacheNoir, that it has no affect on your psyche except to keep you accountable, unfortunately, it is hurtful to many people. Bullying has consequences, and should not be tolerated. Would this be acceptable to you if it was your child or loved one, who may not find it as acceptable as you. People are different and just because it is motivating for you does not mean it is for others, in fact for many of us it has the totally opposite affect.