KFC/Chemical High

Options
magicpickles
magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I really like KFC and tend to have it once a week.

I want to quit eating it, because there are things I can eat at home that taste better, and I think I just like it because it gives me some kind of chemical high, like when I need it, it calms some kind of need in me like an addiction that nothing else can satisfy. I can also make food at home that has less calories and doesn't cost me $12 a hit, WITH nutritional value. Like, when I want KFC, nothing else makes me feel better. I am like that with some other foods.

I am thinking about quitting processed foods, but maybe just giving up one thing at a time is better. I wanted to start with KFC because I eat it regularly.

What chemicals from KFC am I getting and what can I replace them with? is it something like dopamine or sugar?

When I go to KFC I usually get the two piece quarter pack which is 2 pieces original skin chicken, pepsi max, a bread roll, potato and gravy and chicken salt chips. I think its the chicken and chips that I crave, although I get sick of them after a modest amount. I don't like eating too much chicken, I think I mostly like the skin, not the middle.

I'm also wondering if the recipe is different for New Zealand KFC as it is internationally.

Replies

• magicpickles
    Options
    KFC kills my cravings. When I want KFC, I can't think about any other food, and the cravings don't go away until I have it. I have done some research, and apparently MSG is very addictive and deadly. I don't know if that explains the other things I have been feeling (satisfaction, happiness, a high etc)
  • magicpickles
    Options
    @ronjsteele1 I found a list, it seems like MSG is in everything processed. I really like salt and vinegar rice crackers which are quite salty, and cous cous drenched in lots of lemon and soy sauce... apparently if food is really salty, its likely to have MSG and soy sauce generally has MSG. This explains a lot for me.

What is your avocado chocolate pudding recipe? would you mind sharing it here?

thanks

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @ronjsteele1 I found a list, it seems like MSG is in everything processed. I really like salt and vinegar rice crackers which are quite salty, and cous cous drenched in lots of lemon and soy sauce... apparently if food is really salty, its likely to have MSG and soy sauce generally has MSG. This explains a lot for me.

thanks

There are tons and tons of processed foods without msg
  • magicpickles
    Options

thanks

There are tons and tons of processed foods without msg

I wrote ''seems like'' not ''is''
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    "Because of the absence of proper blinding, and the inconsistency of the findings, we conclude that further studies are required to evaluate whether or not a causal relationship exists between MSG ingestion and headache."

Of all the triggers of my migraines (seems almost everything is) MSG is not one of them, but I know a few for whom it is. Good for me, sucks for them.

• magicpickles
    Options
    @Red_Pill

What kind of foods can you get a dopamine release from at home cooked meals?
  • magicpickles
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @cbusnightowl
    @YvetteK2015
    @Sloth2016
    @Noel_57
    Ok, I don't know for sure if MSG is deadly or addictive, but that is not the point of this thread. What I want to know is, what is it about the KFC that creates such a big craving in me that causes me to refuse any other food until I get my fix, or not be able to stop thinking about it, and what chemical is it releasing in my brain that is causing enjoyment? is it something I can recreate without food, or are their other foods that I will want more than KFC that happen to be healthy?
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    @Red_Pill

For me jerk/bbq grilled chicken and spicy potato wedges. Rump steak and basmati rice. Singapore fried noodles with pork shreddings. Spicy beef tacos. The list is endless. I'm a foodie, clearly :smile:
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @magicpickles are you addicted to any other stimulants? Gaming, gambling, sex, validation etc?
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yeah one ounce of KFC chicken has like 28 grams of chemicals in it.

Oh no. I'm going to have to find some chemical-free chicken now.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    @Red_Pill

Basically anything that you really like.

So true - even music: http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v14/n2/full/nn.2726.html