New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    For those who make the protein cakes with the Kodiak mixes: I substituted pumpkin puree for the unsweetened applesauce this morning. Tasted just as good, 5 less calories, 5g less sugar (which is a big deal for me). I think I'll be using pumpkin from now on...

Do you have a recipe for these protein cakes? sounds like something I def need to try!

Sure, though this is cribbed from the Lil' Buff Bakery cake recipe, which are awesome in their own right:

60 g Kodiak Flapjack Mix of your choice
    75 g Unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin puree
    3 T egg whites
    2 T almond milk (I use unsweetened)

Mix well and either microwave for 2:40 or bake in a rice cooker (no kidding). People make frostings out of yogurt and cream cheese and other stuff, but I just pour a slightly-watered-down tablespoon of All Fruit over the cake for a topping. Here's the general breakdown:

Calories 307
    Total Fat 5 g
    Saturated Fat 1 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 565 mg
    Potassium 178 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 46 g
    Dietary Fiber 7 g
    Sugars 7 g
    Protein 19 g
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »
    For those who make the protein cakes with the Kodiak mixes: I substituted pumpkin puree for the unsweetened applesauce this morning. Tasted just as good, 5 less calories, 5g less sugar (which is a big deal for me). I think I'll be using pumpkin from now on...

Do you have a recipe for these protein cakes? sounds like something I def need to try!

Sure, though this is cribbed from the Lil' Buff Bakery cake recipe, which are awesome in their own right:

60 g Kodiak Flapjack Mix of your choice
    75 g Unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin puree
    3 T egg whites
    2 T almond milk (I use unsweetened)

Mix well and either microwave for 2:40 or bake in a rice cooker (no kidding). People make frostings out of yogurt and cream cheese and other stuff, but I just pour a slightly-watered-down tablespoon of All Fruit over the cake for a topping. Here's the general breakdown:

Calories 307
    Total Fat 5 g
    Saturated Fat 1 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 565 mg
    Potassium 178 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 46 g
    Dietary Fiber 7 g
    Sugars 7 g
    Protein 19 g

thank you SO much!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just got all of these reviews to come 6nno8datxwi8.jpeg
    w8tj9klfu5vx.jpeg

I'm intrigued. I'd probably have low expectations though!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Just tried the pumpkin flavored fit joy and for the first time I'm very very disappointed and didn't enjoy it at all. Very waxy, perfumey candle taste. Artificial tasting and too heavy on the spice. Didn't taste like pumpkin, only a candle jar :/
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    w3u4ruf36l8c.jpeg
    ^^^NOPE. Too many calories for too little taste.
    9ziz083cnrdf.jpeg
    ^^^^yes, yes a thousand times yes! Zero nutrition but absolutely worth the 150 calories! Excellent with my coffee in the morning.
    (I just discovered Balance Bars-sorry if I'm being a total newb here)

mlrtw6z8kipx.jpeg
    ^^^^Sadly disappointed. So bland.

p2gm5qhi9fxd.jpeg

^^^^ I love Tasty Bite stuff and am pretty okay with Thai food. I hadn't seen this one before so I thought I would try it. Tasted like preservatives, smell was awful, too salty. The veggies in it were crunchy and fresh.

• hgycta
    edited October 2016
    Options
    fe8omkvh089q.jpg

I love Wegmans, I really do. I've been looking several years now for this pumpkin kefir! Also been looking and failing trying to find these pumpkin donut flavor Laffy taffys! Wegmans has them out for you to choose individual flavors rather than a pack so I was very selective ;) I tried one in the car home and love it! So much better than that fit joy bar! Not as nutritious, sure, but so perfect.

w8tj9klfu5vx.jpeg

WHERE did you get these? Haven't even heard of them before!!!
  • crystallee85
    crystallee85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    w8tj9klfu5vx.jpeg

I'm intrigued. I'd probably have low expectations though!

I tried the chocolate smart cake. It was actually delicious but I am not interested in spending $5 for two small pieces of cake. They were the size of a small muffin and really light. Tasted better than I thought. I added some pb2 on one as well
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    0z5s181mv7h0.jpg
    cdvlv894jo77.jpg

Tried the cinnamon tonight. WOW SOOOOOO GOOD!!! They had nice sugar topping that I didn't expect. I warmed one up and had the other regular. It was so soft and light, like a coffee cake but SUPER light. I liked the cold one better because once warmed up it felt super airy and even lighter. It felt a bit denser when cold. I mean I had low expectations because of the calorie count, but I was pretty happy with how good they were for those calories. I mean obviously not as good as a little debbie coffee cake, but a good treat. They would be really good for breakfast.

I would buy these a lot if they weren't so expensive. @hgycta I came across them on amazon actually! Based on my searches below I saw "you might like these" and it was their smart buns and I was curious so went to the website and saw all of these.

I cant wait to try the other flavors and the buns. Only 73 calories for a whole bun?! And the reviews I read were all fantastic.
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What do the Smart Cakes use for sweetner?
  • hgycta
    edited October 2016
    Options
    0z5s181mv7h0.jpg
    cdvlv894jo77.jpg

Tried the cinnamon tonight. WOW SOOOOOO GOOD!!! They had nice sugar topping that I didn't expect. I warmed one up and had the other regular. It was so soft and light, like a coffee cake but SUPER light. I liked the cold one better because once warmed up it felt super airy and even lighter. It felt a bit denser when cold. I mean I had low expectations because of the calorie count, but I was pretty happy with how good they were for those calories. I mean obviously not as good as a little debbie coffee cake, but a good treat. They would be really good for breakfast.

I would buy these a lot if they weren't so expensive. @hgycta I came across them on amazon actually! Based on my searches below I saw "you might like these" and it was their smart buns and I was curious so went to the website and saw all of these.

I cant wait to try the other flavors and the buns. Only 73 calories for a whole bun?! And the reviews I read were all fantastic.

They actually look very similar to Simply Scrumptous' cinnamon coffee cakes which I usually get and is sooo sweet and satisfying! I'm curious now how they compare, I might have to splurge eventually but right now I'm trying to take it easy since I bought all those protein doughnuts and goods from wegmans, and those smart cakes are certainly not cheap! Although, they do look a little more reasonable on their website (http://smart-baking.com/) since you aren't forced into buying so many at once. I noticed they used erythritol, which I seem to be a glutton for (and Simply Scrumptous uses that, really, they seem so so so similar). However, Simply Scrumptous claims a low calorie count too, but I always notice when I keep my diet the same and eat one of theirs (even adding calories to account for larger portions) I seem to gain weight, not sure why...

Also, even though I said I wasn't going to I picked up Kodiak's unleashed granola. Giant had it on sale for $1.25 (but didn't have the chocolate pumpkin cakes go figure) so I decided to go for it.
    I used more milk than it suggested (2/3 cup instead of 1/2 cup), and used silk's unsweetened almond then warmed it up for about 45 seconds and found this really enhanced the flavor since the milk absorbed some of its flavors and sweetness.
    I'm very, very impressed actually!!! A lot of depth and just sweet enough to be satisfying without over doing it. As much as I said I don't do granola or oatmeal, I'll probably be getting this again. Loved it.
    s9xh7vt683dm.jpg
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The Halo Top store locator says it's at my local Kroger. I've never seen it, but according to Instagram, it was the first chain to roll out the new flavors. I'll check on Tuesday
  • Francl27
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    The Halo Top store locator says it's at my local Kroger. I've never seen it, but according to Instagram, it was the first chain to roll out the new flavors. I'll check on Tuesday

I'm confused, one of the sites I follow on Twitter claimed that the official announcement for the new flavors would be on Oct 10th, so I doubt it's in stores already.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Planters Nut Banana Sundae and Planters Nut Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie are way too good...

ts97yhzajh0c.jpg
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I'm confused, one of the sites I follow on Twitter claimed that the official announcement for the new flavors would be on Oct 10th, so I doubt it's in stores already.
    It's just what I saw from Junk Banter

• Francl27
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Planters Nut Banana Sundae and Planters Nut Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie are way too good...

ts97yhzajh0c.jpg

Lol yep.
  • hgycta
    Options

I can actually second that I've seen some posts (on Facebook) about people finding it in stores already. This being said, wegmans didn't have it when I went although they did have a full inventory of every other flavor.

Also, pumpkin spice kefir is actually my favorite kind so far! Highly recommend it!
  • hgycta
    edited October 2016
    Options
    94tu8kg2jzft.jpg
    Just received a free prototype of Lil Buff Bakery's new pumpkin cake mix they should be releasing soon! Only thing is, while the recipe card says to mix it with applesauce the pack itself says to use pumpkin purée, which I don't have. Dx I want to pick some up but I'm starting not to trust myself in grocery stores haha!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ohhh @hgycta I have seen good reviews about that new mix!! Also I love erythritol
    as a sweetener. I am picky about my sweeteners because there are some I just cant stand. (suclarose, etc) Hmm have you ever weighed the simply scrumptious? I've ordered from them before but never ate them consistently to see if I actually believed their counts. I believed them for these cakes though they were very light and airy.

Not new, but never tried before...01jta97dxjit.png
    Really good. I loved them. I am a sucker for chocolate/yogurt/whitechoc covered pretzels so these were delicious. The pumpkin flavor complemented the pretzel flavor nicely.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Finally found the new Power Bar protein bars at Giant today! I never would have went to look if it hadn't been for the damn self checkout for spitting out a coupon. Those enablers. I bought the Clean Raspberry & Cookie Dough flavors.

I also found the Cookie Dough @hgycta but it was so nasty! I bought the regular Cookie Dough flavor & found it tasted primarily of cream cheese. The Just Cookie Dough from Target was so much better.