Low carb- more protein...help

Options
So ive started this low carb diet and mostly protein, somewhat like Atkins... the doctor put me on... I feel lately that I'm watching everything I eat which is good but I'm having a hard time meeting my calorie goal. Mfp won't let me add my food diary if it is under. . But I just feel like I'm truly eating enough. I feel full on this protein diet quicker. So confused. Need help. Does anyone else have a hard time meeting their calorie goal when they are trying to follow a strict diet? I think to myself constantly through out the day I can't eat this or that, then end up not eating enough. ....idk what to do.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Are you getting sufficient good fats? If not, increase them.
  • jnwisniewski22
    jnwisniewski22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What would be some examples?
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    I do meal replacement with protein shake usually my lunch and have a snack like cheese with it. Them breakfast I'll eat a meat and eggs. Dinner I eat meat and vegetable. And snack on protein bars, cheese, nuts. I drink more water than a fish lol. I feel healthy but mfp says I need to eat more.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have five things to say.
    Ordinary doctors don't know a lot about nutrition.
    Low carb is high fat, not high protein.
    Strict diets are hard to follow, and if your goal is to lose weight, you have to eat at a calorie deficit for a long time, and the fewer the additional restrictions, the better chance of success.
    Too much protein can be hard on the kidneys, and it's certainly hard on the wallet.
    If you count calories, you have to log correctly, because it's easy to underestimate intake.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If MFP says you need to eat more, then as a general rule you do need to eat more and what you are doing is not healthy long term, carrying the risk of things like gallstones, malnutrition and hormone imbalances. Have larger quantities of cheese and nuts and add butter/oil to your meat. Fry some of your vegetables if needed. It's easy to add calories if you want to.
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    Thank you. It just seemed to be confusing to me. Clearer now.
  • stinkypunk
    stinkypunk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Blood Sugar diet - https://thebloodsugardiet.com It's been peer reviewed and is recommended by some doctors as a way to reverse type 2 diabetes (and has been very successful in a number of cases). It is also low carb, low calorie and high protein. It also guides you through intake and the website has vigorous forums to discuss all aspects of this particular diet.
    Good luck!
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    The only reason I started this diet was because I was told it would help me watch what I eat more and it definitely has. He also said it will keep me fuller longer and stop random cravings, then eventually my body will burn fat much quicker, instead of holding onto it. But I also know if I don't eat enough my body will still hold onto that fat...
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    Think I'll try it for a month or so and see how it goes.
  • ruelr
    ruelr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With Low Carb Higher Protein diets you do feel fuller and satisfied and that's why you lose weight easier on this diet. Your appetite will stabilise in a while. Once in a while if you don't eat your calories for the day it's fine but not on a regular basis. You do need to eat your protein so that you can maintain your muscle mass. Do not increase you fat too much or you will put on weight. You can check out Ketogenic Dieters on Facebook. They are very supportive and will help you with and questions.
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    Thank you!!! So helpful.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    The only reason I started this diet was because I was told it would help me watch what I eat more and it definitely has. He also said it will keep me fuller longer and stop random cravings,
    Awareness of what you eat will almost always lead you to better choices. Getting in better nutrition will always make you feel fuller and reduce cravings, up to a point - when you eat unbalaced, you can feel "full", but you aren't nourished, and when you eat unsatisfactory, your cravings will come back, later, and stronger.

then eventually my body will burn fat much quicker, instead of holding onto it.
    You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. The larger the deficit, the faster you lose, until the point where your body can't metabolize fat any faster. You want to stay within that "sweet spot" where you lose mostly fat and not muscles and your sanity.

But I also know if I don't eat enough my body will still hold onto that fat...
    This is not true. You will be hungry and crave and cave if you eat too little for too long, but your body burns fat as long as fat is available, and the larger the deficit, the faster you lose.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go against a doctor, but imo you could always try just raising protein rather than cutting carbs and trying to fill the gap with it. Increasing your protein:carb ratio is effective (albeit not as quick/drastic as cutting carbs entirely)
  • Mandypar
    Mandypar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I follow a no/low carb diet. I went into My Home and Goals and tweaked the settings to fit into this kind of diet more. I am trying to limit myself to 1000 calories per day, 15% carbs, 35% fats, 50% protein. It's not a science and I do get red sometimes, but I have to limit myself because I am in a wheelchair so exercise is not easy outside of my weekly physio. I tend to eat a protein shake or flavoured Skyr for breakfast plus a glass of skimmed milk, eggs for lunch, and meat/vegetables/salad of some sort for dinner (drinking water at other times). Hope this helps you.
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    Dieting is so tricky. I feel like everyone's body is different and there are so many different ways to lose weight but why is it so dang hard sometimes..haha...your all absolutely right. Thanks for all of the advice!!! I'm also doing cardio 3x week. And starting lifting weight to build my muscles starting tomorrow.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Dieting is so tricky. I feel like everyone's body is different and there are so many different ways to lose weight but why is it so dang hard sometimes..haha...your all absolutely right. Thanks for all of the advice!!! I'm also doing cardio 3x week. And starting lifting weight to build my muscles starting tomorrow.
    Losing weight is simple, but not necessarily easy. The trickyness is because lots of people want to confuse you, so they can take your money. Bodies aren't that different - we lose weight by the same principle: a sustained calorie deficit. Food preferences, habits and environments are different, though, so you need to find a method that suits you.
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    Mandypar wrote: »
    I follow a no/low carb diet. I went into My Home and Goals and tweaked the settings to fit into this kind of diet more. I am trying to limit myself to 1000 calories per day, 15% carbs, 35% fats, 50% protein. It's not a science and I do get red sometimes, but I have to limit myself because I am in a wheelchair so exercise is not easy outside of my weekly physio. I tend to eat a protein shake or flavoured Skyr for breakfast plus a glass of skimmed milk, eggs for lunch, and meat/vegetables/salad of some sort for dinner (drinking water at other times). Hope this helps you.

This was extremely helpful! I just did that to my settings.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If anyone's reading stinkypunks link and honestly thinking it's a good idea, I wouldn't follow it unless you were seeing your GP and they were monitoring you.

Eating 800calories per day is a bad idea without medical supervision. I tried something a while back similar to this and ended up with anemia which I still have. Iron transfusions are not fun and eating under 1200calories is no joke, unless you like the idea of losing hair and many other side effects.

Best to speak to your GP and ask if they can recommend someone who specializes in nutrition if you do plan to do anything that drastic.

All the best!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Mandypar wrote: »

This was extremely helpful! I just did that to my settings.

For your own good, please undo that and eat normal, healthy food.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Loss of appetite is really common when starting a low carb diet. Join the Low Carber Daily group and you'll find topics on this often. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Most of us go with the rules that your carb limit is a hard limit. A ceiling you don't want to hit.

Protein is a goal that you want get to.

Fat goals are there but if you're not hungry, this is the macro to not fill since we all have large sources of body fat to draw from.

All that being said, go with your hunger, within reason. If you are only wanting 1000 kcal per day for a few days, only eat that. If you then want 2000kcals, eat it. If you want to fast for a day or two and skip food entirely, go for it. You'll be fine. The problem comes when people are fighting hunger and forcing themselves to eat 1000 kcal per day for weeks on end. That isn't good for you. For a few days? No problem.

When I was losing, my average caloies were 1500. Some days were 1000, or 500, or 1500, or 2500. It still averaged out to 1500 per day and a loss of at least 2 lbs per week.

I would add that most people do not need high amounts of protein unless you are exercising very intensely and long. If that isn't you, a moderate protein diet should be fine. Not many women need more that 80-90 g of protein per day. For me, that's about 20% of my total intake with carbs being 5-10% and fats being around 70%.